Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

EX250 Type R posted:

My lovely ex250 will hit a wall after 95 but I have it jetted with a pod filter and it has a strong midrange. The stock clean ninja I have has seen 100 but I wasn't pushing it and didn't want to go or try to go faster.

Depending on how accurate the stock ninja 250 speedo is I did 112 but it helps to weight 130# and was going down a hill. drat that engine was screaming but he told me it needed an Italian tuneup.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

NitroSpazzz posted:

Depending on how accurate the stock ninja 250 speedo is I did 112 but it helps to weight 130# and was going down a hill. drat that engine was screaming but he told me it needed an Italian tuneup.

You don't have to do it in every gear :v:

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

EightBit posted:

You don't have to do it in every gear :v:

Look at how wrong you are. Look.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

I don't think I've taken the 250 below 8k but it sure as hell gets great mileage. Before my shakedown test I got the oil back to the proper level-- being that it was overfilled about a quart or more. :gonk:

Needs a radiator flush and two bolts drilled out and re-tapped where the fairing mounts to the gas tank and the dust boots are cracked, so I'm gonna drop the forks and order new dust seals since I don't think that actually changing fluids is worth it since, well, starter biek and all that. Still it was a pretty good deal for what we got it for considering in the last three months it has: new rear tire, valve adjustment, chain and sprockets, carb sync and clean, new air filter, and basically everything you do at the 18k service interval sans forks.

Now I just need my own bike's parts to come in so I can stop at least two awful rattles and a gratuitous oil leak. :argh:

doppler
Jul 10, 2006
Motor CIty Machine Music

I don't understand how the engine can shake so much without tearing itself apart, but oh my it is fun to thrash it.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

NitroSpazzz posted:

My old gen hit 110 indicated. It took a LONG time to get there.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer

doppler posted:

I don't understand how the engine can shake so much without tearing itself apart, but oh my it is fun to thrash it.

Having a balance shaft in mine I can't for the life of me understand how people do more than ten minutes at a time on one without.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib
The perfect marriage of motorbike and paint-shaker.

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

Section 1: 12.04 (Article 12, Chapter 4) of City Vehicle Ordinance states that any motorized vehicle(s) capable of flight must be parked or landed in an appropriately zoned space which is visually demarcated as such:

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

race tires on road are a great idea, ask me!

Hahaha

Angryboot
Oct 23, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Oh nice, you found a 690 after all, eh?

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho
I finally got a chance to grab some pics of my bike. My new (to me) C14. My hosting.

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

Angryboot posted:

Oh nice, you found a 690 after all, eh?

Yeah, it was hiding out just a few minutes away. It's a blast. We'll have to do that Angeles Crest ride soon!

Yerok
Jan 11, 2009
Who knocked over a lovely bike in my loving van?

Huh, took it out and did some wheelies. I guess I'll just keep it.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
The happiest day :3:

Yerok
Jan 11, 2009
I know, I can't wait to take it out and get some proper riding in. I'll try to take some pictures that aren't awful as well.

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009
I like the little bag on the rear fender :3:

chia
Dec 23, 2005

My new baby, a 2013 Triumph Street Triple R. Motherfucker this bike owns.

Mushika
Dec 22, 2010

Not the best quality image, but I thought it was a fun snapshot that my friend got while we were sitting at a red light. That's me on the left.

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

race tires on road are a great idea, ask me!

Haha, that's a cool picture.

darklcd
Apr 13, 2012

Just picked it up this weekend and it's everything I hoped it would be.

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009

darklcd posted:

Very nice, looks like it's a 06 or 07? What other bikes have you had, and how does it compare?

If I may recommend some things to check, use a flashlight to peer into the left side scoop and fan to check the rear cylinder rocker box for leaks, check if the clutch cable hasn't been rubbing against the chin spoiler, check the bolts for the shifter and its linkage, and if you feel up to it, take off the flyscreen and air cleaner to check any wires for chafing. Looks like you've got the original wire clutch cable guide too, check if it's still in one piece and/or replace it with the later 2008+ model. Also, take a look at the front cylinder exhaust studs. Finally I wouldn't go so far as to take out the wheels to check the bearings, but make sure to do so when replacing the tires, my originals were shot within 5000 miles. Other non-standard things to check when you service it are the belt tensioner bearings, side stand and the oil filter fitting.

As for mods, looks like you've got an aftermarket exhaust (never seen that one before though) already and probably the k&n filter and hopefully a tune to go with that. Messing around with the ECU takes an USB cable and some free software, if needed. First mods I put on mine were frame sliders and a larger right-side scoop. Later on I also put on Ulysses hand guards and the headlight grille, and most importantly a rim stripe. Next thing I might get is a more aggressive throttle tube. Other possible mods are fender eliminiators (but I actually like the fender) and the ZTL2 brakes from a 09/10 model.

Good places for parts are http://www.americansportbike.com and http://twinmotorcycles.nl (expensive, but they make improved/reproduction parts). Adding Twin Motorcycles on Facebook is nice too as they post pictures of what work they did in the shop, so you get to spot common issues. http://www.erikbuellracing.com/store/ still sells some parts, including cheap brake rotors.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

darklcd posted:

Kind of looks like a Jardine GP-1 slip on. Its fuckoff loud, right? How many accidental wheelies so far?

My project for the moment is to De-X my Uly; run a low-profile front fender like the XT, R, and S - and maybe remove the hand guards. I suspect it might help reduce the buffeting input on my front end when I get into a truck's wake.

darklcd
Apr 13, 2012
Yeah it's the GP-1. It's actually not that loud unless you really get on it. I've been pretty careful with it in first gear so no wheelies yet.

Thanks for the tips protein.I'll have to check some of that stuff out sometime today. It only has the slip on, no k&n or anything so it isn't running noticeably lean but that's something I might do in the future so I'll have to get it tuned eventually. Or just grab one of the preprogrammed ecms from EBR.

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009

darklcd posted:

Yeah it's the GP-1. It's actually not that loud unless you really get on it. I've been pretty careful with it in first gear so no wheelies yet.

Thanks for the tips protein.I'll have to check some of that stuff out sometime today. It only has the slip on, no k&n or anything so it isn't running noticeably lean but that's something I might do in the future so I'll have to get it tuned eventually. Or just grab one of the preprogrammed ecms from EBR.

You'll probably be fine chucking on the standard Buell race tune (k&n filter and the Buell race exhaust), or you could use Clutchpuck's tune for the Jardine, which I think is based on that. I have the Buell race exhaust and it sounds great, not too noisy, but it decreases low-down torque and rusts like crazy.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
I do have a modified Jardine-friendly map based on EBR's Drummer tune and then modified through a couple datalogging sessions to reduce decel popping.

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009
Ah ok, also took a quick look and EBR offers a Jardine tune as well.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
I love the XB12 so much. I saw one in Chicago parked outside of Gale St. Inn, and I was fascinated by how small it was. It's a crazy futurebike and I totally want one in my garage next to the Yamaha cruiser I'm also planning to buy.

Somehow I'm going to spend so much money in the next couple years.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

darklcd posted:

I've been pretty careful with it in first gear so no wheelies yet.

Be careful in 2nd and 3rd, too :)

If you do your own oil changes and stuff, be cautious with the drain plug in the swing arm. The torque specs assume dry threads but they'll be oily and if you blindly follow the manual you strip the threads right out.

Have the PCVs been bypassed to atmosphere or a catch can? They can gross-up the air filter and make it run crappy pretty quickly if they're going back into the airbox like from the factory.

ebracing.com is a good source for some parts, sometimes they're a better price than American Sport Bike - I just ordered a new 1190-style brake rotor from Erik and it was about $100 less than ASB's rotors.

darklcd
Apr 13, 2012

clutchpuck posted:

Have the PCVs been bypassed to atmosphere or a catch can? They can gross-up the air filter and make it run crappy pretty quickly if they're going back into the airbox like from the factory.

Good to know. The bike is completely stock aside from the exhaust so the bypass will be something I'll have to look in to.

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009
I haven't done that breather mod yet but my airbox is only a little oily inside, maybe I'll look into it.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

...and now I miss my (totaled because of a seventeen-year-old on a cell phone) XB12SS even more.

Stitecin
Feb 6, 2004
Mayor of Stitecinopolis
I bought this for $500 yesterday. It's a 1980 CB900 Custom. Sold as "needs to be rebuilt", fortunately my dad was a Honda mechanic for 20 years. He cleaned the plugs (I'm going to replace them today), adjusted the cam chains, and put some SeaFoam and fresh gas through it and its running on all four again. It needs the carbs cleaned and synchronized, valves shimed, new valve cover gasket, and new ignition coils. Not bad all in all.

Stitecin fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Nov 7, 2013

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Yeah nice find, looks like it's in good shape.

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123
I am really really dumb:

2007 speed triple ~20k miles

arrow undertail 3 into 1 underslung exhaust
CRG levers and bar end mirrors

Came with the rear stand too which is useful!

Sorry crappy cell phone pic my real camera had a dead battery.

Pokey Araya
Jan 1, 2007
I don't think you could take a blurrier picture with a napkin, charge your battery son!

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I think half of CA owns Triumphs now :v:

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
I think infraboy owns every CA Approved Motorcycle © so there's that too.

ThatCguy
Jan 19, 2008
2013, we've got handheld consumer cameras that rival pro-level equipment from 6-7 years ago for 99 bucks, and everyone uses their phone that looks like a Sony Mavica from 1997.

Yeeha.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!
Just picked up this 2007 Ninja 250R - my first bike. I absolutely love this thing, so incredibly fun, and it feels drat fast to me. Trying not to ride anything else so I don't ruin the sensation of speed.