Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Blackbird Betty posted:

It's definitely not the worst thing I've eaten with hot sauce.
Tell me you had your nutmeat with cocksauce.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Blackbird Betty posted:

You know, it's actually kind of alright, I guess. Like chewy peanut butter but less salty, there's not heaps of personality or meatiness going on. It's definitely not the worst thing I've eaten with hot sauce. Not that I'll be buying it again, mind you...

I too have eaten dogfood on a lark

Blackbird Betty
Mar 27, 2010

SubG posted:

Tell me you had your nutmeat with cocksauce.

Nah, this stuff! Just to be really parochial about it.

Edit: Also, I am a lady so that would be "her" nutmeat, not "his".

Erik Shawn-Bohner
Mar 21, 2010

by XyloJW

Blackbird Betty posted:

Tell us what "her nutmeat" tastes like.

I'm serious in my curiosity. I've never seen something so vile for sale, and I eat out of date offbrand potted meat with my fingers.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)

Erik Shawn-Bohner posted:

not harshing--just ignorance. What is it?

I've never seen it before, but as Sanitarium is a brand sold in Australia, I looked it up on their website.
Ingredients: Water, wheat gluten (23%), peanuts (20%), onion, salt, minerals (zinc gluconate, ferrous gluconate), vitamin B12.

http://www.sanitarium.com.au/products/vegetarian/vegie-delights-canned/nutmeat

Marta Velasquez
Mar 9, 2013

Good thing I was feeling suicidal this morning...
Fallen Rib

Fo3 posted:

I've never seen it before, but as Sanitarium is a brand sold in Australia, I looked it up on their website.
Ingredients: Water, wheat gluten (23%), peanuts (20%), onion, salt, minerals (zinc gluconate, ferrous gluconate), vitamin B12.

http://www.sanitarium.com.au/products/vegetarian/vegie-delights-canned/nutmeat

Other than maybe the texture, that doesn't sound like it would be too bad. Maybe making a Thai dish out of it would be OK?

Erik Shawn-Bohner
Mar 21, 2010

by XyloJW
That really doesn't sound bad. I toss it into things. but nut-meat? I think there has to be something going on there. because what you describe is just weird peanut butter as far as I can tell.

Blackbird Betty
Mar 27, 2010
Honestly, it's not that bad. Way chewier than it should be and pinker-coloured than I would prefer, but mostly pretty inoffensive. I think you're onto something with the Thai idea, I wonder if it puffs up when deep-fried like tofu?

Edit: I won't condone putting in a sandwich though, that website suggestion can go get hosed.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)
Now you mention peanut butter, now I remember where I've seen that brand.
They're pretty good for peanut butter for use in cooking. Most of their varieties are claimed 95% peanuts by volume, and they sell a jar with claimed 100% peanuts and nothing added. It's good for satays.
They love peanuts, and want to find extra products to put them in I guess.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Erik Shawn-Bohner posted:

That really doesn't sound bad. I toss it into things. but nut-meat? I think there has to be something going on there. because what you describe is just weird peanut butter as far as I can tell.

My initial reaction was basically "Probably cranberry sauce except from nuts." Which looks pretty much correct.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
Does anyone have any suggestions for sites that let you save recipes online and make your own personal cookbook? Ones that include an iOS app would be nice too, but it's not mandatory.

I'm trying out PepperPlate right now but I'm wondering if anyone has any ones that they use. I'm also messing around with http://keeprecipes.com/, which seems to have a much more robust sharing, and you can search other people's stuff, but it loads so slow geez.

100 HOGS AGREE fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Jun 30, 2013

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.
Evernote.

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

He just wants someone to shake his corks, is that too much to ask??

dino. posted:

Evernote.

Yes!

ejstheman
Feb 11, 2004
Does anyone know a good multi-timer app for cooking, for the Android platform? I was trying to cook something complicated with multiple parts the other day, and at one point I was doing a different thing on each of four burners. Normally I just look at the clock and calculate stop times for food in my head, but I ended up breaking a sauce because I ran out of working memory. I'm imagining something that has four or five adjustable countdown timers that can run independently, and that all display at once.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

ejstheman posted:

Does anyone know a good multi-timer app for cooking, for the Android platform? I was trying to cook something complicated with multiple parts the other day, and at one point I was doing a different thing on each of four burners. Normally I just look at the clock and calculate stop times for food in my head, but I ended up breaking a sauce because I ran out of working memory. I'm imagining something that has four or five adjustable countdown timers that can run independently, and that all display at once.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
I just use the oven clock and time everything off when whatever needed to go in first went in first. Then forget what time I put the first thing in.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

I have a lab timer I stole from work that is just a little LCD thing with 3 independent programmable timers on it. Kinda nice for days like today where I'm slow cooking 2 different dishes for the week and got a batch of bread going.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

ejstheman posted:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.sportstracklive.stopwatch&hl=en

Apparently it lets you use multiple timers from the same app.

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

ejstheman posted:

Learn to cook without timers. Observe your food as it cooks and figure out how it looks/smells/tastes when it's done. It definitely takes practice, but I generally only set a timer if I'm leaving the kitchen to do something else, just to remind me that cooking is happening and I might want to poke it and see how it's doing. I do make frequent use of a thermometer, though.

In culinary school we were all driven insane because the answer (in any class) to the question, "Chef, about how long do you cook that for?" was always "COOK IT 'TILL IT'S DONE."

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I have an app called Kitchen Timer that has multiple timers in it. I never really use it but it exists.

Shnooks
Mar 24, 2007

I'M BEING BORN D:
I bought a ton of spices that all came in bags. What's the best way to store them? Like, can I store them in mason jars in a cabinet? There's at least a pound of each spice so it needs to be bigger than a tiny spice jar.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Mason jars would be good, they're much more airtight than most spice jars

soap.
Jul 15, 2007

Her?
Has anyone ever had any success baking a cheesecake in a toaster oven? I figure a water bath is out of the question because there would be too much moisture trapped in too little space. Maybe cover it with foil to keep the top from browning too quickly?

Fleshpeg
Oct 23, 2001
Stop harassing me!
I experimented with a couple new recipes at dinner tonight with mixed results. First, I tried replicating the mac and cheese from a restaurant people in the area rave over but I think the proportions seem completely off. Also, there's no bechamel so I don't really understand how it's supposed to work in the first place:

http://www.elizabethannedesigns.com/living/2008/12/01/recipe-best-mac-cheese-ever/

A friend of mine had tried to make it before and he ended up with delicious cheese soup covered with a tiny oil slick, so I tried adding some sodium citrate from the Modernist mac and cheese recipe as an emulsifier. Unfortunately it still ended up being tremendously runny. Is that heavy cream/liquid to cheese ratio way off or do I need to reduce it by a lot more than 1/4th?

I then moved on to this:

http://www.npr.org/2013/06/27/195633254/blueberry-dumplings-the-star-of-lasting-summer-memories

The dumplings were pretty doughy even after cooking them for 15 minutes. They were almost racquetball-sized, which seems too large to cook in 12 minutes. I've never tried making dumplings before, so do I need to rest them before cooking or avoid kneading the dough too much?

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

Wroughtirony posted:

Learn to cook without timers. Observe your food as it cooks and figure out how it looks/smells/tastes when it's done. It definitely takes practice, but I generally only set a timer if I'm leaving the kitchen to do something else, just to remind me that cooking is happening and I might want to poke it and see how it's doing. I do make frequent use of a thermometer, though.

In culinary school we were all driven insane because the answer (in any class) to the question, "Chef, about how long do you cook that for?" was always "COOK IT 'TILL IT'S DONE."

I keep trying to explain this to my wife, who isn't much of a cook but us an engineer. If I don't set a tuner every time I cook anything it drives her nuts.

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream

soap. posted:

Has anyone ever had any success baking a cheesecake in a toaster oven? I figure a water bath is out of the question because there would be too much moisture trapped in too little space. Maybe cover it with foil to keep the top from browning too quickly?

A toaster oven sounds like a terrible idea... you're talking about the kind that are basically metal boxes with a coil on the bottom, right? The heating is so uneven that the idea of baking anything in there terrifies me.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

tarepanda posted:

A toaster oven sounds like a terrible idea... you're talking about the kind that are basically metal boxes with a coil on the bottom, right? The heating is so uneven that the idea of baking anything in there terrifies me.

I've never done a cheesecake but I do all my baking in a toaster oven because I live in Korea and ovens here are a luxury item. So far everything has worked exactly like a real oven, I imagine a cheesecake would be fine.

soap.
Jul 15, 2007

Her?

tarepanda posted:

I have conducting rods top and bottom, so it'll be more even at least? I've done a lot of baking in my toaster oven, but nothing as sensitive as a cheesecake. Well, if it cracks, no biggie, it'll still taste good. Hopefully it won't fall and get super dense.

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream

Grand Fromage posted:

I've never done a cheesecake but I do all my baking in a toaster oven because I live in Korea and ovens here are a luxury item. So far everything has worked exactly like a real oven, I imagine a cheesecake would be fine.

That's why I was thinking it was a terrible idea. Every desperate foreigner here I know who's tried anything more complex than a simple cookie has ended up with a half-baked half-raw lump of whatever.

I just sucked it up and spent 600 bucks on a "real" electric oven/microwave.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

tarepanda posted:

That's why I was thinking it was a terrible idea. Every desperate foreigner here I know who's tried anything more complex than a simple cookie has ended up with a half-baked half-raw lump of whatever.

They must've gotten lovely ones or just been terrible at it. I've made cakes, pies, cookies, bread, Cantonese barbecue, carnitas, corned beef. I roast ducks and chickens, pot roast, lamb curries, "tandoori" stuff, pitas. No problems.

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream

Grand Fromage posted:

They must've gotten lovely ones or just been terrible at it. I've made cakes, pies, cookies, bread, Cantonese barbecue, carnitas, corned beef. I roast ducks and chickens, pot roast, lamb curries, "tandoori" stuff, pitas. No problems.

We're talking about the same thing, right? You just put something in and set the timer?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Apparently not. A toaster oven is just like a small electric oven, it has a timer (sometimes) and a temperature control. That has no temperature control? No wonder it's a piece of poo poo.

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream
Yeah... just for toast.

I bought a real convection oven that lets me do anything from 150 to 350 (or 400?) C for any time I want. There are also some steam ovens, but I'm not sure about what those are supposed to be good for, exactly, so I didn't bother.

Edit: The General Questions thread - Grand Fromage and tarepanda talk about cooking in Japan and Korea

Sorry, guys.

Marta Velasquez
Mar 9, 2013

Good thing I was feeling suicidal this morning...
Fallen Rib
I have a convection toaster oven. I've baked cookies, brownies, and other things. I've roasted vegetables, baked potatoes, and small casseroles without a problem.

We had one of those frozen lasagnas that you're supposed to just heat and eat. It never cooked after two hours. It seems that toaster ovens are fine as long as you keep in mind that they can't retain heat nearly as well as a full oven.

edit: Mine has a temperature control and a broil setting, though.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

tarepanda posted:

Edit: The General Questions thread - Grand Fromage and tarepanda talk about cooking in Japan and Korea

Someone might find it interesting! A world without ovens.

If you have a real toaster oven that's adjustable, it should be fine. I found that when making pie, I needed to rotate it halfway through and it took a little longer because it does lose heat more than a real oven, but it was doable. I plan to try a cheesecake in mine sometime.

If you have whatever weird thing that is that has no temperature control, you're hosed.

soap.
Jul 15, 2007

Her?

Grand Fromage posted:

Someone might find it interesting! A world without ovens.

If you have a real toaster oven that's adjustable, it should be fine. I found that when making pie, I needed to rotate it halfway through and it took a little longer because it does lose heat more than a real oven, but it was doable. I plan to try a cheesecake in mine sometime.

If you have whatever weird thing that is that has no temperature control, you're hosed.

Yeah mine has temperature control and all that. I can't imagine using one of those things, yikes. I'll just keep a close eye on it, and I'll report back :)

Psychobabble
Jan 17, 2006
I have successfully made cheesecake in a toaster oven before. It was only 6" and it did require a combination of aluminum foil and an ice water bath, but it came out quite nice.

walruscat
Apr 27, 2013

Grand Fromage posted:

You must have a very high quality one. My wife has tried baking in our toaster oven several times and it can't do much more than cookies. Even brownies come out poorly. Ours was a model around $60 with a temperature control and a timer.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Blackbird Betty posted:

Sorry I misgendered your nutmeat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

tarepanda posted:

Yeah... just for toast.

I bought a real convection oven that lets me do anything from 150 to 350 (or 400?) C for any time I want. There are also some steam ovens, but I'm not sure about what those are supposed to be good for, exactly, so I didn't bother.

Sorry, guys.

It's ok. Kinda interesting to hear about the random limitations to either kitchen equipment or ingredients from time to time.