Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bionic Psyker
Apr 23, 2009

Leperflesh posted:

Themed group? Also, for Fly Your Flag, I would like a more close-up photo of the specific flag(s) in question. I need to confirm they've been painted, rather than just a printout or decal or something.

I did a themed group last month. Sorry about the fly your flag, I didn't realize decals don't count, so I don't qualify. I'll get it next month.

Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PST
Jul 5, 2012

If only Milliband had eaten a vegan sausage roll instead of a bacon sandwich, we wouldn't be in this mess.
I, PST, declare June's Oath complete
Awwww, It's a Baby

I did May's Detektuv Journal - Suiting up

I learned a lot doing these, mostly on how to break down and clean my airbrush as it explodes paint, along with cleaning off a layer that's gone wrong, respraying and starting again. While I'm sure in a year I'll hate these and want to again strip and redo them, it's broken my 'i cannot paint anything unless it looks amazing' mental block and i'm prepping more ships for next month's oath.

PST fucked around with this message at 07:46 on Jun 30, 2013

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer
OATH COMPLETE

I rolled a 6!...or a 20...or maybe an 01, also Battle Damage

Speed Painting

Parts List
Vallejo Surface Primer Grey
Citadel Abaddon Black
Vallejo Model Color Black Grey
Citadel Castellan Green
Citadel Death World Forest
Citadel Rhinox Hide
Citadel Doombull Brown
Vallejo Game Color Turquoise
Citadel Temple Guard Blue
Citadel Texture Stirland Mud
Citadel Athonian Camoshade
Vallejo Game Color Imperial Blue
An unknown brand of flock

This is also Double The Fun and Themed Group

Booley fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Jun 30, 2013

Pash
Sep 10, 2009

The First of the Adorable Dead
Pash Oath Completed!

I pushed right to the limit this month but I finished up today!

Detektuv's Jurnal: Battle Damage

I didn't really want to scratch at my models, so I put an arrow through this guys shield.

Rikthor
Sep 28, 2008
:siren:Oath Complete:siren:

Detektuv's Jurnal: Battle Damage
The model already had a couple gashes for damage but I added a few more cuts and pits to the shield as well as trying to paint the damage to the edges of the armor.

I included my name this time on the oath and oath complete pics :downs:

TarDolphinorShark
Sep 25, 2008

:siren: OATH COMPLETE :siren:

I had to resort to my crappy camera for these completed pictures but hopefully I can get some better ones tomorrow.

Here is my battle damaged guy. I cut into the area under his eye a bit and then painted the eye white instead of green, and added a bit of scar coloring.

Here is the group, front and back.

Asphyxious
Jun 25, 2012

I'm trying to explain that I'm a person who wishes to live a very quiet life.
The woman who raised me died. Oath failed.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!
:siren:OATH COMPLETE:siren:

Themed Group

Battle Damage
When it came to battle damage I first thought "Oh this will be easy I have loads of orcs to paint, no problem" but then I re-read krushgroove's comments on this month's theme. It was paint battle damage, not just hack at my model with a hobby knife toss on some paint and call it a day, so I really put some thought into what I wanted to do and so I ended up scarring up Duroc. I figured he was a veteran soldier and fond of close combat so he would likely have some scars to show for his efforts. The trouble was how do you scar up fur? I looked for some reference images and found this:

So I laid down a dark brown base for each scar, painted in the middle with red, used Tamiya clear red to add depth, then finished with a devlin mud wash to make them look old. I'm fairly happy with the end result. (I also bought and used snow flock, which really brings the base to life.)

I rolled a 6!...or a 20...or maybe an 01

And the best bit; video of it in action!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dVzEtVUaRVE
I can't believe it came up 20 for the final roll.:rolldice:

Indolent Bastard fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Jun 30, 2013

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Bionic Psyker posted:

I did a themed group last month. Sorry about the fly your flag, I didn't realize decals don't count, so I don't qualify. I'll get it next month.

Thanks!

You can do themed group twice, for two entries in the drawing, if you like!

Phoon posted:

Oops, sorry, didn't do the theme.

Don't worry, it's not like it's a requirement!

Mmtheblue posted:

Also I guess the 5 Nobz, and 5 Marines qualify as a Themed Group?

Yes.

TarDolphinorShark posted:

I had to resort to my crappy camera for these completed pictures but hopefully I can get some better ones tomorrow.

Put your username in your updated photos and post to let me know you've done so, and you can have another point!

Asphyxious posted:

My condolences for your loss.

Brock Samsonite
Feb 3, 2010

Reality becomes illusory and observer-oriented when you study general relativity. Or Buddhism. Or get drafted.

Holy poo poo, glad to see you made it through all that stuff Bionic Psyker. I was beginning to worry, what with it coming done to the line and all. It seems one of our intrepid partners in Painting Far Too Much poo poo is still missing though. Hmm.

Okay, cool thing and all Indolent Bastard, neat. Then I saw it light up. Now I want one. I want to do a Combined Army or an Aleph one. Seriously where did you find a crazy light up thing like that?

Sole.Sushi
Feb 19, 2008

Seaweed!? Get the fuck out!

Asphyxious posted:

You have the condolences of the judge's panel and Oath Thread Staff for your loss. Please return when you feel you are able; we will be looking forward to it.

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Oath Complete

Quick and dirty pic in case I can't get time tomorrow for better ones. I have painted-on battle damage but I think that doesn't count, and you can't see it anyway. I also hacked up the banner bearer's shoulder pad, not thinking it's almost impossible to see now that the banner is glued on. Oh well.

I think I can claim that theme force bonus point, or whatever it's called? These dudes definitely count.

Edit to make judge lives easier:

Here's that better pic:

quote:

I have a bunch more here too.

Edit oh god you can barely see the apothecary there, hurf durf.

And one more even though I now know I didn't need modeled damage, heh.

quote:

Well, luckily my super top-heavy banner bearer took a spill, so I was able to get a pic of the battle damage I didn't think would be covered up by the banner.

I circled it since it's a bit hard to see. Basically a big gouge got ripped out of his shoulder pad, probably by some jerkface xeno. That should count, yes?

Fyrbrand fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Jul 1, 2013

Manifest
Jul 7, 2007

HELLO THERE I COME FROM THE FUTURE
I fail this month.
The bulb in my ottlite went out, and the one I ordered to replace it two weeks ago wont be here for another week.

thiswayliesmadness
Dec 3, 2009

I hope to see you next time, and take care all
:orks101: Oath Complete :orks:

Malal Crusaders ho~

And for the damage theme, I drilled some holes had one of the crusaders take some incoming fire.

Still need to throw another layer on the rims, but done for now!

nathonicus
May 2, 2013
The Pop-o-Matic Infinity terrain/dice roller is so very, very awesome.

Ledgem
Oct 20, 2010
OATH COMPLETE!

Detektuv's Jurnal
Pandora's box has unleashed torment upon this crew of mercenaries!

Taelor's torso covered in bruises from self loathing, and the desperate merc sliced her leg open from the box's misery

Vannessa has dodged most of pandora's twisted magic and merely burnt her wagging finger.

One of the tentacles on this poltergeist has been torn, muscle tissue beneath revealed! or are those teeth? Isn't this thing a spirit? Maybe its messing with our mercenaries' minds.

IrvingWashington
Dec 9, 2007

Shabbat Shalom
Clapping Larry
Oath Complete!

The group shot:

I got to use some kneadatite for a conversion, as well as painting damage instead of making it, so this oath was pretty educational - thanks for thinking it up, person(s)!

Here's the walker before conversion:

and after:

I chopped both legs up and reseated them to make the walker lie prone. I also removed part of the shield, because otherwise why would there be damage? I also decided to challenge myself by learning how to paint 3D-looking damage rather than doing what I would normally do and create the damage on the model (I once took a soldering iron to a Rhino (40k, not at the zoo)) so aside from the chopped-off shield this is all just paint. It's not amazing but I'm quite happy :3:

The finished model:

I'm going to use this as an objective marker in 'Blackhawk Down' type scenarios where either there will be a race to capture/save the pilot, or to capture the wreckage for intel. Fun :)

Here's my themed group for this month, a set of 3 sourge dropships, 3 scourge grav tanks (riding in the dropships), and 2 bases of scourge warriors:

Warriors (come out to plaaa-aay!):

"Hunter" Grav Tanks:

"Marauder" Medium Dropships:

And that, as they say, is that.

This month I believe I qualify for:

Detektuv’s Jurnal - painted battle damage to the Zeus walker
I done a conversion - see before/after pics of the Zeus walker
I rolled a 6!...or a 20...or maybe an 01 - creating an objective marker from what used to be a badly-cast Zeus walker
Themed group - the Scourge dropships/tanks/infantry

fake edit: It just occurred to me that maybe the conversion and objective marker bonuses are both the same thing, in which case, if I have a choice I'd like it to count for the conversion.

real edit: I just realized while looking this over that I now have completed my Scourge starter army + command unit. Thank you so much to everyone involved in this here thing - I'm not so sure I'd have been even partway to completing a unit by now, let alone finishing an entire army in 2 months. And I YOTJ'd this month as well! It might be a lack of sleep talking, but...

I think I love you, Oath Thread.

IrvingWashington fucked around with this message at 10:59 on Jun 30, 2013

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

IrvingWashington posted:

:words:

Congratulations. I love the look of Drop zone commander. I wish it took off more here.

Aix Athanatos
Nov 3, 2011
:siren:Oath Complete!:siren:

Aix Athanatos posted:

:frogsiren:Gotta do this bonus style:frogsiren:

Making an oath addition: Nicole, Sisters of the Blade Captain; Templar Knight; Unicorn (all from Reaper Miniatures) and Jeannne d'Arc 2.0 from Corvus Belli.

Jeanne d'Arc is my prize from last month, courtesy of Corvus Belli. Every model I have from these guys kicks rear end, I can't recommend them enough.

The Unicorn has its own picture because it was a gift for someone and I gave it before the other models were done.

I've also put Battle Damage on the Templar Knight with a grinding disc, is that a valid method? :ohdear:

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Brock Samsonite posted:

Holy poo poo, glad to see you made it through all that stuff Bionic Psyker. I was beginning to worry, what with it coming done to the line and all. It seems one of our intrepid partners in Painting Far Too Much poo poo is still missing though. Hmm.

Okay, cool thing and all Indolent Bastard, neat. Then I saw it light up. Now I want one. I want to do a Combined Army or an Aleph one. Seriously where did you find a crazy light up thing like that?

http://www.amazon.com/Hasbro-44198-Big-Trouble/dp/B000EPFEB6

I found mine at a yard sale. When I opened it to replace the die I cut the speaker wires so that I didn't have a sassy woman saying "Somebody's in BIG Trouble" and then annoying music. You can (sort of) hear it here. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N9FQkln28bM

Indolent Bastard fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Jun 30, 2013

Illudere
Jan 12, 2005
Oath Complete!

Themed group!

I like the way the sails turned out but the hulls are a mess. Good enough for now and I move on to the orc ships next month.

Schmetterling
Apr 1, 2011

:3: I, Schmetterling, hereby declare OATH COMPLETE! :3:

Taelor frowned at the feeling of tightness across her chest. The rather unpleasant Guild physician had bandaged her entire torso after he finished his stitch-work, and she wasn't used to being so constricted. One would think she'd suffered some grievous wound to be so mummified, but Taelor maintained that the few gashes and broken ribs would have healed up just fine without any of this meddling. She'd had far worse, after all. The bounty she came into the city to hunt had been easy compared to what she faced every day in the Slums. It was merely a minor phantasm that had begun haunting a well-to-do lady, and Taelor's magically charged hammer had made quick work of it. The problems began when her hammer accidentally struck a beam that happened to be load-bearing, the breaking of which combined with the damage wrought by the ghost to abruptly flatten the entire west wing. Luckily, the mistress of the house was so grateful for the removal of the spirit that she was willing to overlook the property damage.

The linen layers wrapping her chest were unnecessary but they were better than the other option; enforced bed rest. The well-to-do lady was compassionate to a fault, and had insisted with all the force of her noble birth that Taelor should stay in the city until her wounds were healed. Unfortunately for the lady's compassion, nobility never did hold much sway with Taelor, so the demand was tempered to a request that she see a Guild doctor before she left. Having no wish to remain inside the Guild Enclave now that she had fulfilled the bounty she came here for, Taelor stood silently as the doctor did his work.

(I swear that bit of dust wasn't there when I took the photos)

I'm really happy with how this model turned out, especially the face. It's my first attempt at painting skin without touching elf flesh or pale flesh, and I think it came out well.

So spreadsheet-wise, that's a conversion of underboob shirt to bandages for the June Detektuv's Jurnal, a bit of Backstory, and a photo with username in it.

Swags
Dec 9, 2006
OATH COMPLETED! And on time, too.

Battle damage is on these guys. The dude with the axe has a slice across his faceplate and three across his abdominal plates. The woman with the jet pack has various battle marks and bullet wounds. I wasn't trying to go for 'blood' so much, but I wanted my guys to have a techno-organic armor sort of feel with the red muscle/wires, and I had to figure out something to use for the colors to make them stand out. Honestly, I'm thinking I should've gone with green or dark blue instead of the red, but this was my first time with battle damage, so now I know.

These were my original battle damage guys, and it was just because I was trying to make them look old as poo poo and really rusty and crappy, but I realized that I'd have to add a bit more to them and I didn't want to do that. I sort of just liked them looking old without riddling them with bullet holes.

These are swampy twig beasts. I like them.

Next month I'm probably moving, so my oath is going to be 1 or 2 figures and they're going to be done fast as hell, 'cause then I have to pack all this poo poo.

Bionic Psyker
Apr 23, 2009

Leperflesh posted:

You can do themed group twice, for two entries in the drawing, if you like!

Awesome, sign me up for two Themed Groups then!

Brock Samsonite posted:

:cool::respek::cool:

I think next month I'm going to take it a bit easier, maybe do some fantasy or some terrain. I was really fighting burnout a couple of days ago, I had a chunk of about 2 and a half weeks where I didn't get any hobby time, so the majority was done this past week.

Zhent
Oct 18, 2011

The difference between gods and daemons largely depends upon where one is standing at the time.
Zhent: Oath Complete

I am running out the door and just forgot that I never posted my oath - I will update the pictures later on if I make it back in time to set up my light box and take something not-poo poo.

I also qualify for a Themed Group and Battle Damage. The Themed Group is 6 Ravenwing Bikers - they go with one of the Attack Bikes in my last oath, but they are a themed group in and of themselves I believe.

Battle Damage:

A couple of bullet holes through the winged armor plating, and some cracks spiderwebbed out from them.

A bullet has glanced off the shoulderpad of this marine and dinged his backpack as well.

DamnitGannet
Apr 8, 2007

Oath complete.

Namenlos
Oct 20, 2010
Oath Complete!

Battle Damage! - His second metal-appendage (which is a conversion) is holding his own blown-off bionic arm. Tried to paint the minotaur symbol inside the cog on his shoulder - agh SO TINY. God drat NMM - There's no way I can't not do it on metallic bits now :bang:

Namenlos fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Jun 30, 2013

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Fyrbrand posted:

Oath Complete

Quick and dirty pic in case I can't get time tomorrow for better ones. I have painted-on battle damage but I think that doesn't count, and you can't see it anyway. I also hacked up the banner bearer's shoulder pad, not thinking it's almost impossible to see now that the banner is glued on. Oh well.

I think I can claim that theme force bonus point, or whatever it's called? These dudes definitely count.

Here's that better pic:

I have a bunch more here too.

Edit oh god you can barely see the apothecary there, hurf durf.

Namenlos
Oct 20, 2010

Fyrbrand posted:

Here's that better pic:

Are those beauties from Forge World?

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Namenlos posted:

Are those beauties from Forge World?

Yeah they're all kitbashed from various Mk4 bits, including the Mk4 command set and apothecary.

nathonicus
May 2, 2013
Oath Complete!

I really enjoyed painting these guys. They are some of my favorite of the new wave of Infinity models; I decided to use the color-scheme from the artwork instead of making my own as I usually do.

Speaking of, here's the Box Art

I know the rules say to use the link on the MFG site, but it doesn't have all five together. Nonetheless, here it is: http://www.infinitythegame.com/infinity/en/2013/miniatures/kts-kaplan-tactical-services-2/

Additionally, these models are Get Based Out Entry. I did some things I haven't done before, like cutting into the bases to make the little gulleys that I filled with rock and some water, and I'm fairly happy with how it came out. Next time I think I need to use tweezers to select some smaller rocks so I can really get a nice creek bed look.

I also did the Detekuv's Jurnal for June, painting some battle damage on one figure and actually carving into the second. The Kaplan with adhesive launcher got some Cool Movie Facial scratches from fighting aliens, and the Kaplan with Spitfire got a bullet dinged off his helmet as well as his shoulder pretty carved up. I actually cut into the metal on that one, and it turned out ok. It's hard for me to paint Infinity in a dinged-up fashion. I just want to keep everything so pretty!

These 5 members of the Kaplan Tactical Services are all part of a Themed Group. What themed group? Bad-rear end mercenary rear end-kickers, that's what.

Parts List

I paint with P5 brushes - almost exclusively with the Work Studio Brush, but also some with the detail brush
Paints use were all Vellejo Game Color Except where noted:

With so much grey on the model, I used a lot of overlapping shades. The base for the darker grey is Heavy Charcoal (the best dark grey ever) and the lighter grey Cold Grey.

Complete Greys: Heavy Charcoal, Cold Grey, Stone Wall Grey, Dead White, Black, GW Badab Black wash on weapons
The Greens are: Heavy Grey washed with GW Thrakka Green and then highlighted up with Dead White and Heavy Grey mixes
Reds are: Dark Flesh, Heavy Red, Bloody Red, Bloody Red mixed with White
The boots are based in GW Chardon Granite - about the only color I haven't found a replacement for.
Mud and Dirt are: Earth, Dark Flesh, Beasty Brown

The Bases:
Edges are painted with Earth
I used GW Armageddon Dust texture paint to build up the form
Sprinkle with sand
Embed small stones
Bushes are various lichen embedded and then washed or highlighted
The Water in the Gulley on the sniper's base is GW PVA glue left to dry and then hit with GW Gloss Varnish.

In summary:

Oath Complete
Themed Group
Box Art
Parts List
Detektuv's Journal
Get Based Out Entry

nathonicus fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Jun 30, 2013

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

Asphyxious posted:

Dude...I can't say it any better than Sole.Sushi:

Sole.Sushi posted:

You have the condolences of the judge's panel and Oath Thread Staff for your loss. Please return when you feel you are able; we will be looking forward to it.

nathonicus posted:

The Pop-o-Matic Infinity terrain/dice roller is so very, very awesome.

I suppose I'm supposed to be neutral and all, but I'm not a judge so I think I can safely say I agree with this and also want to get my own. I love the recent run of functional terrain :3:

I also want to say OATH COMPLETE!

This is a Machine Wraith from Privateer Press. You may notice the Battle Damage for the Detektuv's Jurnal - he can't get shot or damaged by normal weapons, just magic weapons or spells, which damaged a couple of hoses, which are gushing steam. I used my Tube Tool and Green Stuff to make extra hoses and cables that hang off him, and used CA glue to attach some cotton from a cotton ball.

I'm also going to claim Parts List:
Vallejo Black Primer airbrushed on
Formula P3 Cryx Bane Base
Les Burley's Heavy Body Black wash
Formula P3 Cryx Bane Base heavy drybrush
Formula P3 Cryx Bane Highlight drybrushed on the cloth
Vallejo Gunmetal on the hoses and upper bits of armor
Formula P3 Blighted Gold on a few of the hoses and helmet
Formula P3 'Jack Bone on the bone
Vallejo Dead White drybrushed on bone and between the ribs where the green 'light' would originate from
Formula P3 Necrotite Green airbrushed for OSL (Object Source Lighting)
Vallejo Charred Brown on the base sand
Vallejo Beasty Brown heavy drybrush on the base
Formula P3 'Jack Bone drybrush on the base
Formula P3 Cryx Bane Highlight for the front arc mark
Formula P3 Cryx Bane Base for the front facing mark
Varnishes: Minitaire Gloss Varnish, Minitaire Flat Varnish, Dullcote (the Minitaire Flat was too glossy for my taste)

Quest Jefferson
Mar 27, 2010
Oath Complete!

A few closeups:

Detektuv's Journal:

After having his horse shot out from under him, the Drakkun caught two more in the gut before he managed to get his shield up for the third. Also tried to make the armor a bit more scuffed up and dirty compared to his mounted counterpart.

overthefalls
Apr 17, 2005

"They called you exotic, which is just people talk for awesome!"
:wooper: Oath Complete! :wooper:

Short timeframe and other distractions make for a poor painting experience, but hey, I'm done.

For Detektuv's Jurnal, look to the spider 2nd from the right. The upper left part of the shell (closest to the camera) has been shredded back, exposing the metal underneath.

Lastly, a shot from the back to show the webs.

Themed group + Detektuv's Jurnal for additional points.

For those that aren't done yet, there's a rather nice tutorial here: http://www.miniwargaming.com/content/how-paint-chipped-armour-battle-damage

overthefalls fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Jun 30, 2013

Red Shoe
Apr 16, 2005

Brogies in arms!
:siren: Oath complete :siren:

Bane Thralls:

These qualify for Box Art.
They are also a themed unit.

Vanguard Warjacks:

These show plenty of battle damage for the monthly theme.

Rocinante, the blingiest of the warjacks:

Mule and Rover warjacks, surrounded by the mangled bodies of their fellows:

The wrecks count for I rolled a 6!...or a 20...or maybe an 01.

Nurgle Heldrakes, too large to be contained by a mere 8 1/2x11 backdrop.

These fantastic conversions were done by forums member BuffaloChicken. My contributions are the paint and bases.

Galaspar
Aug 20, 2006
Will reign this way again
Oath Complete

Battle Damage is visible on the front of the gun carriage, and the nasty eye wound one of the troopers has sustained.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

What's that, it's the final day of the month? Well that's ok, I'll still have a few hours once the kid is in bed... oh gently caress we're using GMT this year? Fuuuuuuu

I guess that means these dudes are :siren: Oath Complete :siren:

I would have liked to put another few hours into some cleanup and stuff, but good enough. My idea for this month's theme Battle Damage was that the Exarch has recently taken a wound to the head, and so has had it hastily patched with a 'crude' battlefield prosthetic until he can get back to the craftworld and get it taken care of professionally:

As an added bonus, this closeup reveals exactly how poo poo my paintjob actually is! gently caress you, Dire Avengers! :suicide:

No joke, doing a whole squad this month was a terrible idea, I just don't have the time for it.

Edit: Claiming Themed Group for this.

Ashcans fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Jul 1, 2013

Hermetic
Sep 7, 2007

by exmarx
Oath Complete!

Not sure if it qualifies as Box Art or not, but I was inspired for this model by searching for any official Ordo Malleus inquisitors in terminator armor I could find. This Rogue-Trader-looking mini was all I could find:

So I set out to make an updated (and properly scaled) version of this, using a Daemonhammer instead of a Force Sword, because Daemonhammers are awesome.

And here's what I came up with:

A quick rotation:

:psyduck: jesus christ, I need to make a photobooth.

Paints List
Duplicolor Black Primer

Citadem Bestial Brown
Citadel Codex Grey
Citadel Dark Angels Green
Citadel Dwarven Bronze
Citadel Regal Blue
Citadel Scorpion Green
Citadel Snot Green
Citadel Ultramarines Blue
Citadel Asurmen Blue
Citadel Badab Black
Citadel Devlan Mud
Citadel Gryphonne Sepia

P3 Beast Hide
P3 Coal Black
P3 Khardic Flesh
P3 Menoth White
P3 Menoth White Highlight
P3 Sanguine Base
P3 Sanguine Highlight

Vallejo Air Color Black
Vallejo Air Color Gun
Vallejo Air Color Steel
Vallejo Liquid Gold Old Gold

Conversion

I converted the mini using the following parts;
Games Workshop Grey Knights Terminator Heavy Weapon Arm
Games Workshop Grey Knights Terminator Right Arm
Games Workshop Grey Knights Terminator Psycannon
Games Workshop Grey Knights Terminator Daemonhammer
Games Workshop Space Marine Commander Bare Head with Rebreather
Games Workshop Space Marine Terminator Sergeant Shoulder Pad with Crux Terminatus
Games Workshop Space Marine Terminator Blank Shoulder Pad
Games Workshop Space Marine Terminator Legs
Games Workshop Space Marine Terminator Torso Front
Games Workshop Space Marine Terminator Torso Back
Games Workshop Grey Knights Terminator Accessory Bitz
Forge World Grey Knights/Inquisition Etched Brass Pieces
P3 0.85mm Brass Rod
Green Stuff

Here you can see the pin inserted in the foot of the legs, and the two etched brass pieces I used.

Here are the pieces applied to their proper places (the leg still needs to have a dowel rod rolled over it to smooth the brass down, though):

I used green stuff to make a hood for the head. The picture is blurtastic, but hopefully you can still see enough detail to get the idea of the long, involved process I undertook to make it. (Step 1: Cut thin sheet of green stuff. Step 2: Press over head.)

I had already started painting some of the pieces, but here's a poster-tacked mockup of how I planned for the final piece to look:

The Base
The base was created using:

1 Citadel 40mm round base
Corkboard
0.6mm plasticard
Playground sand

I broke up the corkboard, placed it on a white-glue-covered base, and buried it in sand to dry. I then broke off a piece of the plasticard, drilled 3 holes, and tore the edges of the plastic with pliers, and scored the holes with a hobby knife. Here are the results:

I primed both black with dupli-color spray primer, then drybrushed the pavement with 50/50 Codex Grey and Vallejo Air Black, followed by a drybrushing of pure Codex Grey, then drybrushed the rubblel with Beast Hide. The rubble was washed with Devlan Mud, and the pavement with badab black, then stained randomly with Smoke wash. The metal scrap was covered with Vallejo Air Gun metallic paint.

The scrap was then washed with Badab, and drybrushed with Vallejo Air Steel.

Then I covered it in a light green paint, going roughly to try and give it the effect of a chipped primer coat.

It was then covered with a darker green. The green was chosen to match another player at my club's Chaos Space Marines. I'm not entirely happy with the effect, but I'm happy enough.

Detektuv's Journal

I primed black, and airbrushed a layer of black over the top, just to be safe:

Then sprayed Coal Black over the top to form a highlight, and took the mini with me to keep painting at gaming club, where you can see the codex grey undercoat I painted underneath the Battle Damage, which was painted in Gun and Steel:

The hammer got an undercoat of Gun:

Then the hand was painted Black and Coal Black, the handle painted Bestial Brown, the metal got some Steel highlights, Old Gold on the inlay, Regal/Ultramarine blue on the tubing, and Sanguine Highlight on the Inquisition symbols:

The Psycannon, as you saw in the mockup, was primed white, with the metal parts getting a black undercoat, In this terrible picture, you can see that I covered the white with Sanguine Highlight, shaded with Sanguine Base, covered the metal with Gun, and drybrushed Steel:

(The tubing would later get Regal/Ultramarine, and the corrugated tube Black, and the lettering would get Old Gold, but I forgot to take pictures of that :v:)

As you can see in this mid-assembly picture, the head got a cover of Sanguine Base, then was hit with Sanguine Highlight midtones. His face was painted Khardic flesh, and I didn't bother with the eyes because they're really hard to get to under the hood I wanted to keep the focus away from his eyes, since they're covered by the hood. The rebreather was painted with Dwarven Bronze. I think you can also see some of the edge highlights I had done with a mix of Coal Black and Menoth White Highlight:

Here's the model pre-washing. I painted the banners Menoth White and MW Highlight, the skulls got the same, but with a Bestial Brown undercoat. The tubes are Dark Angels/Scorpion, and Regal/Ultramarine respectively. The Crux Terminatus on the left shoulder is Old Gold, and the typical skull layers, with some steel in the details, and Scorpion/Snot on the gem. The other pauldron has an Old Gold =][= and aquila. The purity seals are Sanguine Base/Highlight and MW/MWH. The book is Bestial Brown and MW for pages. The reliquary on his right hip guard is Bestial Brown and Black, with MW/MWH on the skulls. The tank for the Psycannon is Gun (though hard to see in that photo). I think that's everything:

Washes were done with a rag on a stick:

Wait, that's not right....

Washes, as seen in the final image were Badab on the armor, Grypphone on anything gold, Devlan heavily on the face (for more shadows, all the better to sit in the back of the tavern and brood) and on the red areas, a heavy Asurmen wash on the metals, and a ligher Badab wash over that.

Summary:
Oath Complete
Monthly Theme
Aww, It's a Baby!
Conversion
Box Art, maybe?
Parts List
Detektuv's Journal

Do I qualify for Get Based Out, as well? What about Box Art?

Germ
May 7, 2013

Red Shoe posted:

These fantastic conversions were done by forums member BuffaloChicken. My contributions are the paint and bases.

Sweet mother of pus, those are brilliant! I can taste the rot through my screen. Love, love, love them!

Germ fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Jul 1, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

Hermetic posted:

Do I qualify for Get Based Out, as well? What about Box Art?

I'd like to say you can get Box Art for attempting to get so close to that Rogue Trader mini, but I'd like to get someone else to confirm the old mini you were trying to replicate (or work on your Google-Fu a bit more, either is fine).

And if you want this to be your Get Based Out entry that's fine, I'll put it in a separate album that the judges can look at at the end of the year.

• Locked thread