Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Lawnie posted:

Is it a horrible idea to buy a 2009 Genesis V8 with over 70k miles on it?

It's out of warranty, and it's the first model year of a new car. There seems to be some fairly minor electrical issues with them (nav, power steering column) but one would think that by this point they would have been fixed under warranty already. I'd say if the price is right, it's probably OK.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Loutre
Jan 14, 2004

✓COMFY
✓CLASSY
✓HORNY
✓PEPSI
I'm looking into a smallish, reliable car around 20k. My Dodge Stratus died after a few years of costly repairs right before I started a new, steady, well paying job.

Reliability and fuel efficiency are key for me as 10 years of used cars has left me sick of repairs and 20mpg cars. I have a 30 minute commute each way plus do all of the driving in my family, so fuel efficiency will add up both town and highway. Since I have very little in way of debt, and can get so much better an APR to finance a new car, I'm going to be buying new to handle both of those issues.

I went out and test drove a Corolla, Mazda 3, Elantra, Sentra, Focus, Cruze and Civic over the last week, and thought the Civic and Focus were most comfortable, but also felt like the Focus was a bit.. cheaper inside.

Right now I'm leaning towards the Civic, but I have X-Plan pricing through my company at Ford / the equivalent at Chevrolet. The Cruze is probably my second favorite, though the interior felt nicer in the Civic and I like the increased resale value of the Civic as well, plus the non-turbo version of the Cruze seemed pretty weak.

The local Honda dealer is having a 4th of July sale, and I've been trying to leverage my lowest offer against them all over the phone for the last week to see how good a deal I can get.

Can anyone think of some reasons I should steer away from the Civic?

Loutre fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Jun 29, 2013

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
If you liked the Civic, there's no reason to avoid it. Good car.

Keep in mind that high resale only benefits you if you're planning to lease the car or sell it relatively soon. If you plan to keep the car 10 ish years, high resale won't matter all that much, especially if you can get better discounting on a car with worse residuals.

Not sure which trim level you drove of the Focus that felt cheap. I think the only detail that really sticks out to me as cheap in the base focus is the loving horrid blue color on the gauges.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
There's really little indication to me that the Cruze (or Focus) will have worse resale value than the Civic.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

Throatwarbler posted:

It's out of warranty, and it's the first model year of a new car. There seems to be some fairly minor electrical issues with them (nav, power steering column) but one would think that by this point they would have been fixed under warranty already. I'd say if the price is right, it's probably OK.

I'm probably going to go test drive a couple today. I'll try out the v6 as well. I'm looking at about 20k or slightly under for the v8, so I might be able to find a slightly newer v6 for about the same price.

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

Nayt posted:

Hyundai CPO is amazing. I would consider selling your Subaru private party, the market for that car is pretty solid.

I'm giving Subaru one more chance to resolve the Impreza issues before I sell it. I really want to love this car; the handling is fantastic and I think I can learn to tolerate the CVT if they would just fix the loving rattles.

I'm in a 2013 Forester loaner right now. Holy cow, people weren't kidding when they said Subaru's 4 speed autos were garbage.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Augmented Dickey posted:

I'm giving Subaru one more chance to resolve the Impreza issues before I sell it. I really want to love this car; the handling is fantastic and I think I can learn to tolerate the CVT if they would just fix the loving rattles.

I'm in a 2013 Forester loaner right now. Holy cow, people weren't kidding when they said Subaru's 4 speed autos were garbage.

I thought the 4AT forester *drove* fine, it was geared pretty well for acceleration and pretty peppy off the line, the fuel economy was just way worse than everything else in the segment that used 5 or 6 speed units.

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

Maybe my rental was just beaten to poo poo, but it was shifting really slowly and abruptly. It also had difficulty choosing the correct gear at certain speeds and would constantly go between 3rd and 2nd without any input to the accelerator.

Anyway, I got rear-ended at a red light in the Forester about half an hour after making that post (life owns). So now I'm in a 2013 Outback.

lostleaf
Jul 12, 2009
Proposed Budget: less than 20k
New or Used: doesn't matter
Bodystyle: wagon or hatchback preferably but small crossovers are good too
How will I be using the car: general commuting, no towing
What aspects are important: reliability then fun

I'm currently driving a 2006 camry that is aggravating in its vagueness so I've been pining after a new car for a while. My wife and I are expecting a baby next year so no 2 doors or even small 4 doors. We do like to go to Tahoe for skiing and yosemite for camping in the winter so AWD is a plus but not a necessity. I've put on enough tire chains where it doesn't feel like too much of a hassle. I've been looking at the following cars:

used honda element
new honda fit
new subaru impreza
used BMW 5 wagon
used audi wagons

Reliability is top priority for me so I'm not sure about the used BMWs and Audis. I also have no car ability beyond changing the oil and replacing the fluids. I rarely drive far enough where the gas mileage matters. If I reach for 25k then I can go for a cx5 which I enjoyed quite a bit or the new forester which I haven't driven yet. I really rather not go up to 25k. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
No small 4 doors, but you have a fit on the list? Cars don't get much smaller in the the US.

I'd look at used outbacks (non-turbo motors) too.

lostleaf
Jul 12, 2009

nm posted:

No small 4 doors, but you have a fit on the list? Cars don't get much smaller in the the US.

I'd look at used outbacks (non-turbo motors) too.

I test drove a Honda Fit and the interior space felt bigger than the Camry! That and the amazing fold up/down/flat seats gives it crazy space for people and cargo. That's why I didn't include any of the other small hatchbacks like fiesta or the sonic. They didn't compare to the Fit in terms of space and practicality.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
Consider an Accord Crosstour, the 2010s are getting to below your budget.

If you can stretch to $25k, the Cadillac CTS Wagon is available in AWD and is awesome.

lostleaf
Jul 12, 2009

Throatwarbler posted:

Consider an Accord Crosstour, the 2010s are getting to below your budget.

If you can stretch to $25k, the Cadillac CTS Wagon is available in AWD and is awesome.

Thanks. I'll keep an eye out for any used CTS wagon. How's reliability with CTS? My brother had lots of trouble with his escalade in the past. The crosstour is out unfortunately. I've driven one in the past and it fits the criteria except for the horrible rear visibility. The rear visibility is bad to the point of dangerous. Why the hell didn't Honda just give us a proper accord wagon rather than that stupid sloping rear end?

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

lostleaf posted:

Thanks. I'll keep an eye out for any used CTS wagon. How's reliability with CTS? My brother had lots of trouble with his escalade in the past. The crosstour is out unfortunately. I've driven one in the past and it fits the criteria except for the horrible rear visibility. The rear visibility is bad to the point of dangerous. Why the hell didn't Honda just give us a proper accord wagon rather than that stupid sloping rear end?

Get one with a backup camera? Install your own backup camera? Is that really a reason to not buy an otherwise good car? We have a Dodge Journey and you literally can't see poo poo out the back, we have a backup camera and it's fine.

CTS is fine, the V is a slightly more fragile but you're not getting that anyway.

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

Hi guys, I was here 2 months ago asking for car advise. Here's my new car - just got it today. It's a manual Challenger R/T classic. Hopefully that's not derailing.

pokie fucked around with this message at 06:27 on Jun 30, 2013

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
^^^^^^^^^
Nice. They're great v8 sofas.

lostleaf posted:

I test drove a Honda Fit and the interior space felt bigger than the Camry! That and the amazing fold up/down/flat seats gives it crazy space for people and cargo. That's why I didn't include any of the other small hatchbacks like fiesta or the sonic. They didn't compare to the Fit in terms of space and practicality.

I don't even fit in a fit (though I fit in a Mazda 2, which is pretty tiny).
I'd seriously look at the size of rear facing car seats if this is for a kid. Feels bigger isn't bigger.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
I'm going to look at a new Chevy Sonic hatchback at a dealer tomorrow. I've not heard much about the model, is there anything I should look out for? What other cars are in that $15,000+ ish range that I should be considering? I'm trying to find a funish kind of hatch to drive that's not going to break my bank. I'm currently driving a 95 Intrepid so t that shouldn't be too hard to outdo.

MasterSlowPoke fucked around with this message at 06:17 on Jun 30, 2013

nm
Jan 28, 2008

MasterSlowPoke posted:

I'm going to look at a new Chevy Sonic hatchback at a dealer tomorrow. I've not heard much about the model, is there anything I should look out for? What other cars are in that $15,000+ ish range that I should be considering? I'm trying to find a funish kind of hatch to drive that's not going to break my bank. I'm currently driving a 95 Intrepid so t that shouldn't be too hard to outdo.
Test drive a Mazda 2 manual. I just bought one, and I thought is drove way better than the sonic. 0% APR with 0 down with $1000 cash on top this weekend only (ends 7/1). A 2013 2 Touring is a ~$15k car all day with the cash on top.
Only 100hp, but it only weighs 2300lbs.

kansas
Dec 3, 2012

rockcity posted:

Most of the premium fuel only vehicles are 91 octane, but 91 octane isn't all that common at most gas stations. I drive about 36k miles per year all over Florida for work and I'd say 10% or less of the gas stations I've stopped at ever have it, so I have to put 93 octane in mine. I'm definitely getting something that takes regular gas next time around. Even if it doesn't get better gas mileage I'll probably save at least $500 a year with how much I drive.

Premium gas is typically 20 cents more expensive than regular and let's assume you get an average of 25 mpg. Spending an extra $500/year because of premium would mean you are driving 62,500 miles a year.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

MasterSlowPoke posted:

Any reason the Fit isn't on your radar? or the Fiesta? The Fiesta hatch starts at 15,4 with delivery for the base one, 16,9 for the S. Fit is 15,4 base, 17,1 Sport.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Jun 30, 2013

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Augmented Dickey posted:

Maybe my rental was just beaten to poo poo, but it was shifting really slowly and abruptly. It also had difficulty choosing the correct gear at certain speeds and would constantly go between 3rd and 2nd without any input to the accelerator.

Anyway, I got rear-ended at a red light in the Forester about half an hour after making that post (life owns). So now I'm in a 2013 Outback.

My experience was also that the AT gear-hunts 2-3 all the time.

HappySpaceScience
Jun 5, 2013
I went and test drove the Crosstrek, 2013 Outback, 2014 Forester a couple days ago. I think I've dropped the crosstrek from my list and now it's a decision between the '13 outback and the '14 forester. Currently only considering the lower HP styles. I liked the Forester's slightly better acceleration and gas mileage, but the Outback's feel and look inside is much nicer. I'm currently considering the following styles:

• Forester : 2.5i Touring
  • Outback : 2.5i Limited, possibly 3.6R Limited

And I'm getting the optional Nav, and improved sound system on either model. I also plan to get some additional options if I go with the Outback (moon roof, bumper covers, etc.).

I'm going to go and test drive them again, and start calling more dealers to see if I can get a better lease offer. The first dealer offered me $366/mo for the '14 Forester and $424/mo for the '13 Outback, both with $2k down for 42months and 10k miles/year. The Outback offer seems high to me, but I will see what I can get elsewhere. The $2k down has the fees and everything included in it, so it's really more like $800 down payment. I can go higher on the down payment if need be, so we'll see what that gets me.

edit: Just got off the phone with another dealership. For the same styles and similar packages on both cars I got $349/mo for the OB and $315 for the Forester. Also those were for 12k miles/year, so a considerably better deal. Same amount down + taxes and fees.

HappySpaceScience fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Jun 30, 2013

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Don't put money down on a lease unless it's incentive cash and Jesus H Christ those lease terms are bad. e: Second ones look more civilized.

edit: Here's how to negotiate a lease: Negotiate the actual cost of the vehicle first. THEN discuss how you want to pay for the purchase.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Also, stop shopping by payment.

edit: dammit

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

To follow up, the way that a lease works is that the captive finance arm calculates a residual value. Let's take the car I just disposed of on lease. It was a 2011 BMW 128. The RV for the car was about $21,000 for a 36 month 36k mile lease. This means that captive finance expects the car to be worth about 21,000 after I drive it around for three years and put 36K miles on. So what is being done with the lease payments is that I am buying the spread between the current purchase price and the expected RV. Me negotiating the current purchase price down meant that I had a much lower monthly payment on the lease than my friend who did exactly the same thing on the same car at the same time with a 10K mileage allowance.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

nm posted:

Test drive a Mazda 2 manual. I just bought one, and I thought is drove way better than the sonic. 0% APR with 0 down with $1000 cash on top this weekend only (ends 7/1). A 2013 2 Touring is a ~$15k car all day with the cash on top.
Only 100hp, but it only weighs 2300lbs.

One of us. One of us. One of us.

What do you think of the rear seats/leg room back there?

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

\
edit: Here's how to negotiate a lease: Negotiate the actual cost of the vehicle first. THEN discuss how you want to pay for the purchase.

Does this also apply to electric cars and other vehicles with incredibly beneficial leaf terms? I'm semi-seriously looking at a Leaf, and the lease terms seem outlandishly good for what the actual cost is.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Phone posted:

What do you think of the rear seats/leg room back there?

Well, I'm 6'4" so what rear leg room?

Dangbe
Dec 2, 2008
I'm looking for a car recommendation!
Right now I drive a '04 Subaru Impreza RS and I really like it (besides the unimaginably uncomfortable seats), but I've had it for 9 years, and last year it went through 3 head gaskets (2 covered by warranty). I'm afraid the block is damaged and I want to get rid of it quickly.

Should I trade it in at the car lot or sell it on craigslist?

The car I'm looking for:
    Proposed Budget: 25k is the absolute max I want to pay.
    New or Used: New or no older than 2 years.
    Body Style: 4 Door decent sized car (leaning towards a hatchback)

• Must have All Wheel Drive
    I mostly use the car to drive 3 miles to work in a city, but multiple times a year I drive over snowy mountain passes. I would also like it to have better space utility than my current impreza.
    Some gizmos would be cool on the car but not necessary. Power windows are must.
    As far as important aspects, I'd like high 20s for MPG, not an engine that blasts through head gaskets, doesn't look super boring.
    I live in the Pacific Northwest USA

I've never bought a car on my own and I'm nervous I'm going to get ripped off or buy something that I'll regret later. I appreciate your help! Hopefully I can repay the favor by adding some information after I go through my purchasing experience.

Proposed Budget: Sub $20K USD.
New or Used: Used
Body Style: Sedan or hatch/wagon
How will you be using the car?: Commute to work, and carting (future) kids around.
What aspects are most important to you?

Dangbe fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Jul 1, 2013

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Weinertron posted:

Does this also apply to electric cars and other vehicles with incredibly beneficial leaf terms?

:rimshot:

A lot of EVs hage huge government subsidies. The Fiat 500e(my legendary nameplate :negative:) for example has government rebates that pay for half the cost of the car if you're in CA, because the CA state government piles on additional subsidies.

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/2013-fiat-500e-ev-first-drive-review

http://www.fiatusa.com/en/2013/500e/

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Throatwarbler posted:

:rimshot:

A lot of EVs hage huge government subsidies. The Fiat 500e(my legendary nameplate :negative:) for example has government rebates that pay for half the cost of the car if you're in CA, because the CA state government piles on additional subsidies.

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/2013-fiat-500e-ev-first-drive-review

http://www.fiatusa.com/en/2013/500e/

Holy poo poo that was an entirely unintentional slip. Yeah, I wish I lived in a state where there were state subsidies on top of federal. Georgia had a program that would chip in an additional $5k on 2 year or longer leases, so some guy ended up getting a Leaf lease for $50/mo with zero down. I'm in Texas, so zero state support. I guess that for these leases the finance arm is claiming the tax credit?

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Dangbe posted:

I'm looking for a car recommendation!
Right now I drive a '04 Subaru Impreza RS and I really like it (besides the unimaginably uncomfortable seats), but I've had it for 9 years, and last year it went through 3 head gaskets (2 covered by warranty). I'm afraid the block is damaged and I want to get rid of it quickly.

Should I trade it in at the car lot or sell it on craigslist?

The car I'm looking for:
    25k is the absolute max I want to pay.
    New or no older than 2 years.
    4 Door decent sized car (maybe hatchback)
    Must have All Wheel Drive
    I mostly use the car to drive 3 miles to work in a city, but multiple times a year I drive over snowy mountain passes. I would also like it to have better space utility than my current impreza.
    Some gizmos would be cool on the car but not necessary. Power windows are must.
    As far as important aspects, I'd like high 20s for MPG, not an engine that blasts through head gaskets, doesn't look super boring.
    I live in the Pacific Northwest USA

I've never bought a car on my own and I'm nervous I'm going to get ripped off or buy something that I'll regret later. I appreciate your help! Hopefully I can repay the favor by adding some information after I go through my purchasing experience.

Buick Lacrosse, Dodge Charger/Chrysler 300, Ford Taurus. You'll need to stretch a little bit, a higher mileage 2012 Charger with the 8 speed or a Taurus SHO are within reach.

Dobermaniac
Jun 10, 2004
I had a quick question about fwd vs awd. As I previously posted a few days ago, I'm looking for a crossover type suv for children/ normal to and from work. I live on a good bit of land(30 acres), but wouldn't really be using it to trek across the land. Does awd over fwd give any more safety or mpg? We live in Louisiana so I'm not worried about much snow or ice aside from the occasional freak winter storm. Would I be better off putting the money towards a nice four wheeler instead of awd?

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Dobermaniac posted:

I had a quick question about fwd vs awd. As I previously posted a few days ago, I'm looking for a crossover type suv for children/ normal to and from work. I live on a good bit of land(30 acres), but wouldn't really be using it to trek across the land. Does awd over fwd give any more safety or mpg? We live in Louisiana so I'm not worried about much snow or ice aside from the occasional freak winter storm. Would I be better off putting the money towards a nice four wheeler instead of awd?

V. FWD, AWD gives you a bit better ability to get going, but that is pretty much it outside of a rallycourse or racetrack.

98% of people who "need" AWD would be better served with an FWD car with snow tires as they would save money and get better fuel economy. You'd also get better snow performance with a 2wd car with snow tires than AWD with all-seasons. The 2% is people who live in rural, less plowed locations and those who regularaly go up a pass where due to old laws they can pass chain control.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Dobermaniac posted:

Do not get a car with AWD. Hearts and Kisses, KGJr.

Edit: That was snarky. Sorry. AWD adds complexity, weight and cost, in return for a marginal increase in starting performance in snow (ie, you won't get stuck as much in snow). It does not impact the safety of the vehicle, and will actually get you WORSE gas mileage due to higher drivetrain losses and additional weight. It's also another thing to break. Get the FWD version of whatever you're looking at, unless it's something like the Forester, where there is no FWD variant.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Jul 1, 2013

Dangbe
Dec 2, 2008

Throatwarbler posted:

Buick Lacrosse, Dodge Charger/Chrysler 300, Ford Taurus. You'll need to stretch a little bit, a higher mileage 2012 Charger with the 8 speed or a Taurus SHO are within reach.

Thanks for the recommendations!

What's the general opinion on new Subarus like the impreza hatchback or forester/outback?

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Dangbe posted:

Thanks for the recommendations!

What's the general opinion on new Subarus like the impreza hatchback or forester/outback?

They're slow as gently caress and have terrible noisy cheap interiors. Good safety ratings though and I think the visibility from the inside is pretty good compared to most of the other bunkers-on-wheels these days.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Throatwarbler posted:

They're slow as gently caress and have terrible noisy cheap interiors. Good safety ratings though and I think the visibility from the inside is pretty good compared to most of the other bunkers-on-wheels these days.

If you want a cheap AWD car with good ground clearance that still has a car-like ride, the Crosstrek is pretty unique.

Dangbe
Dec 2, 2008

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

If you want a cheap AWD car with good ground clearance that still has a car-like ride, the Crosstrek is pretty unique.

That's a hybrid... I'm really hesitant to buy any companies first hybrid.
Edit: nevermind, the 2013 isn't.

Dangbe fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Jul 1, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Dangbe posted:

That's a hybrid... I'm really hesitant to buy any companies first hybrid.
Edit: nevermind, the 2013 isn't.

Even if it was, Subaru is controlled by Toyota these days, so when they do, it will almost certainly be done right.