Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

nutranurse posted:

Build cataphracts. Only cataphracts. What, you're not Greek? You're playing the game wrong. Go Greek then build cataphracts.

Screw that, go 60% archers and put them all in one flank. Fill the other flanks up with some defense retinues or something so they won't break before your big flank gets to work. :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sanzuo
May 7, 2007

Allyn posted:

The wife joins whatever court the husband was in if it's a normal marriage, or vice versa if matrilineal. No change for norse as far as I know. The only exceptions are when you marry them off to landed people -- and I know for Norse, the vast majority of marriage options are usually to Gydis, who are temple holders and thus landed. Maybe that's what happened?

Coooould be. I lost my 18 skill martial when I married him to an almost equally skilled wife. It was not matrilineal and I had "ruler: no" selected.

BTW, I am still new at this game. Is there a good standby strategy for getting skilled courtiers and getting rid of the not-so skilled ones/ones that hate you?

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Caufman posted:

Powerful vassals can conquer territory on their own, adding to your wealth and pool of troops. But, as you say, this gives them a stronger incentive to stab you, and if not them, their heirs and heirs' heirs. Weak vassals generally means more vassals, which means more bribes when it comes to lawchanging time. Balancing this relationship is your job, monarch.

I'd rather pay 50 gold each to 3 dukes than 250 to a single rear end in a top hat king.

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

O'er the sea from the north
there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow
I like having few powerful vassals since I'm to lazy to keep track of an empire filled with one province counts/dukes.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Also they save you the work of actually conquering stuff. One of my archpriests drove the Pope out of Rome(forcing his holiness to take up residence in Bohemia). Also the jarl of Noršureyjar took over northern Iberia all on his own.

HenessyHero posted:

What do I get from pulling a Norse to Danish cultural transition, other than an opinion malus?

An incomprehensible guttural accent.

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun
I've been playing Emperor of Russia and installing dynasty members as counts (this is really easy because I use the pagan conquest/holy war cb for everything and don't have to revoke anything). It's getting really loving annoying though. When my ruler dies bribing everyone to like me takes like 10 minutes. Not to mention putting down revolts among my nobles because I have to chase their armies everywhere.

I didn't realize dukes conquer a whole lot of stuff, I guess I've never let myself get large enough without revoking all their titles and destroying them.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Generally only the most powerful dukes, ones with multiple duchies and 25+ holdings, can win wars on their own once all the one-province minors have been eaten up. The exception is factional revolts, as usual. Even the weaker Dukes will absolutely jump on the one and two province counts that pop up all over when a king refuses a faction demand.

If you have a vassal King with 40-50+ holdings, it's entirely possible he'll conquer a modern nation sized area for you (and then rebel when your heir takes over).

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
Is there an in depth guide of the changes The Old Gods (and its accompanying patch) made? I briefly looked over the game, saw the new CBs, start date, and the new tech screen (which I didn't quite get.)

I did read the OP, and I hope you can forgive me for not wanting to read over 111 pages for bits of info. Thanks.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Since forming the Roman Empire a few months ago, which was a big learning experience for running a large empire. I learned to NEVER create king Vassals (unless they are small kingdoms like Khiva etc). They will gently caress your manhole, often and hard. Create dukes, and give them control of all their de jure counties, but only let them have one county themselves. If Byz or Muslim, don't hesitate to revoke ducal titles if you have an rear end in a top hat brewing. All it takes is one succession crisis and a couple of pissed off king vassals to gently caress your empire. Even if you do manage to head it off, you'll almost always notice that your neighbours have sniped off provinces from your rebelling vassals. It's all about risk management, I guess. You can always hand out king titles and save scum when poo poo gets hot.

Qwo
Sep 27, 2011
Amalfi in CK2+ doesn't start out with enough tech in Trade Practices (or whatever is needed) to build Trade Posts. What file contains the values that govern this? I can't find them.

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

Node posted:

Is there an in depth guide of the changes The Old Gods (and its accompanying patch) made? I briefly looked over the game, saw the new CBs, start date, and the new tech screen (which I didn't quite get.)

I did read the OP, and I hope you can forgive me for not wanting to read over 111 pages for bits of info. Thanks.

The tech screen works like this: if you're a duke or above, you build up research points over time in each of the three tech categories, based on your skills (martial + learning, stewardship + learning, and learning + learning). You can spend the points to boost the rank in one technology in your capital. High technology in a province spreads to lower tech neighbors. Your chaplain can speed the spreading process up.

The big change in the expansion is paganism and religion in general, though. Every religion has five holy sites that boost your Moral Authority, which is now based on concrete things rather than drifting up and down due to conditions. Pagan rulers that own 3/5 of their holy sites and are at 50% MA or higher can reform their faith, letting them launch holy wars and making them more resistant to conversion, and also unlocking non-gavelkind succession. The Abrahamic faiths can send their chaplains to proselytize in any unreformed Pagan capital, possibly converting the ruler to your faith but probably just landing your chaplain in prison.

Also, pagans can go raiding in neighboring infidel provinces, and Norse pagans can do so anywhere they can get their ships (which, given the new river and portage system, is everywhere). This lets you steal their precious tax money, and makes Vikings rich as gently caress.

The new CBs are mostly one-province conquests, with the exception of Subjugation, which is so overpowered that they had to restrict its use to once per lifetime. It lets you vassalize a realm's entire territory within a de jure kingdom, taking their top-level title if they're the same rank as you. Abuse this while you can, until you reform your faith and lose the ability.

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

I'm having some trouble forming the Persian Empire as the Zoroastrians. I've got well over half the territory, I am Zorastrian and Persian, and I've got the kingdom of Persia, is it bugged or am I missing something?

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Knuc If U Buck posted:

Since forming the Roman Empire a few months ago, which was a big learning experience for running a large empire. I learned to NEVER create king Vassals (unless they are small kingdoms like Khiva etc). They will gently caress your manhole, often and hard. Create dukes, and give them control of all their de jure counties, but only let them have one county themselves. If Byz or Muslim, don't hesitate to revoke ducal titles if you have an rear end in a top hat brewing. All it takes is one succession crisis and a couple of pissed off king vassals to gently caress your empire. Even if you do manage to head it off, you'll almost always notice that your neighbours have sniped off provinces from your rebelling vassals. It's all about risk management, I guess. You can always hand out king titles and save scum when poo poo gets hot.

My Roman Emperor has like 18 vassal kings. The trick is to make sure you have enough non-Kingdom vassals that a king or three can't get over about 40% of your total levy. Having a huge retinue helps in that regard, too.

Non Sequitur
Apr 22, 2007
A queasy undergraduate scratching his pimples

Arbite posted:

I'm having some trouble forming the Persian Empire as the Zoroastrians. I've got well over half the territory, I am Zorastrian and Persian, and I've got the kingdom of Persia, is it bugged or am I missing something?

Empires require 80% of the land and two kingdom titles.

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

Arbite posted:

You need 80% of the de jure territory to form an empire. That's probably what you're missing. If not, it also requires a substantial investment of piety, but you've probably been kicking some Muslim rear end, so that most likely isn't the issue.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

I like the idea of a guy who doesn't know how to form an empire going "you know what? I'll wet my feet with one of the hardest starts in the game". Good poo poo.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Elective succession has to pick from someone in your dynasty right? Is it a safe choice to use? No matter who it picks as long as the heir is my dynasty I play as them and keep all the titles right?

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

cheesetriangles posted:

Elective succession has to pick from someone in your dynasty right? Is it a safe choice to use? No matter who it picks as long as the heir is my dynasty I play as them and keep all the titles right?

Anyone in your dynasty is eligible, as well as any vassals Duke and higher I believe. It's not as risky as it sounds. I've run large empires with it, and the AI generally votes with you if you aren't totally despised.

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!

Arbite posted:

Go to the Persian Empire's page (by ticket the de jure button on a county/duchy/kingdom within it) and hover over the greyed out create button, it'll tell you exactly what you need. I think the guy who said 80% of territory and two kingdom titles is right, though -- certainly that's what it is for Francia.

e: actually for Francia I think it might be one kingdom title that's part of the empire and one that isn't, so France + Burgundy isn't enough, you need something like Lotharingia, it may be similar for Persia. Again, check the tooltip

Allyn fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Jun 30, 2013

Bishop Rodan
Dec 5, 2011

See you in the funny papers, liebchen!

Kainser posted:

I like having few powerful vassals since I'm to lazy to keep track of an empire filled with one province counts/dukes.

In my first game (Munster > Ireland > Britannia) I made pretty much all of my vassals counts - and since I owned the British Isles, the northern half of France, a quarter of Iberia, and most of Italy (I won them in crusades, since as I didn't realise having an antipope for about a century put your MA in the toilet most of Europe was overrun by heresies :downs:), that's a lot of vassals. I eventually gave up on that game because managing that many vassals really isn't that fun.

rorty
Oct 13, 2010
What's a good start if I want a game in a pretty self-contained area where I can deal with vassals, family and that kind of stuff with minimal massive wars against external forces?

Edit - preferably with a lot of assassinations and intrigue. I like that.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

rorty posted:

What's a good start if I want a game in a pretty self-contained area where I can deal with vassals, family and that kind of stuff with minimal massive wars against external forces?

Ireland. Alternatively, a French Count or Duke. Most of your wars will be against other Frenchmen.

Solarflare
Apr 21, 2008

Just saw this event, thought it was pretty neat.

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

Non Sequitur posted:

Empires require 80% of the land and two kingdom titles.

Nolanar posted:

You need 80% of the de jure territory to form an empire. That's probably what you're missing. If not, it also requires a substantial investment of piety, but you've probably been kicking some Muslim rear end, so that most likely isn't the issue.

Got it. Thank you both very much.

Bishop Rodan
Dec 5, 2011

See you in the funny papers, liebchen!

rorty posted:

Yeah, Ireland's your best bet there. I've done several Ireland games as various characters and you'll never really have to deal with outside forces except maybe Scotland on occasion, barring some freak accident like Wales inheriting Ulster which has happened to me before.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

I noticed I had over 30 people in my dungeon. Some of them had been there for over 40 years. At the day my emperor came of age he decided to pardon everyone and release them all. I love the stories you make up as you go along.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

KARLINGS :argh:

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

cheesetriangles posted:

I noticed I had over 30 people in my dungeon. Some of them had been there for over 40 years. At the day my emperor came of age he decided to pardon everyone and release them all. I love the stories you make up as you go along.

Should have had a blot.

saber45
Nov 10, 2004

Is there a version of ck+ that works with the latest non beta patch?

El Pollo Blanco
Jun 12, 2013

by sebmojo

I discovered the best way to deal with the Karlings in my recent Brittany game: I successfully got a faction to change the West Francia succession law to elective, which resulted in some bizarre chain reaction after a Karling holding Italy, West and East Francia, Lotheringia, and possibly Bohemia, died. I think it ended up changing all those kingdoms to elective somehow, and then each of them besides Italy were inherited by minor Dukes, leaving the Karlings practically landless. Lotheringia then ended up being ruled by Anglo-Saxons, after I kicked them all out of England.

Democrazy
Oct 16, 2008

If you're not willing to lick the boot, then really why are you in politics lol? Everything is a cycle of just getting stomped on so why do you want to lose to it over and over, just submit like me, I'm very intelligent.
So, why can't people sail down the Nile river in the game?

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

El Pollo Blanco posted:

I discovered the best way to deal with the Karlings in my recent Brittany game: I successfully got a faction to change the West Francia succession law to elective, which resulted in some bizarre chain reaction after a Karling holding Italy, West and East Francia, Lotheringia, and possibly Bohemia, died. I think it ended up changing all those kingdoms to elective somehow, and then each of them besides Italy were inherited by minor Dukes, leaving the Karlings practically landless. Lotheringia then ended up being ruled by Anglo-Saxons, after I kicked them all out of England.

Thankfully it was a catholic who inherited the throne, and this was CK2+ so he title-changed to Latin emperor and then every vassal of the Byzantine empire apart from the Italian ones declared a independence revolt, which they swiftly one. Oddly the ducess of Thrace recrowned herself as empress of the Byzantine empire, but only some Hungarian dukes swore fealty to her. Then the Karling who conquered the empire in the first place died, and the latin empire dissolved on his death, leaving Lombardy slightly larger with the southern italian dukes, and the Byzantine empire completely collapsed. Currently playing as the rump-emperor, tring to rebuild the empire.

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

What do I change to allow changing Crown Laws (centralization) more often than "once in a rulers lifetime"? Because it's bullshit that a king that lives to be 60-80 can't change it more than once, but you can get those plots and factions that force you to lower it more than once and then you are stuck until your king dies.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

SynthOrange posted:

Should have had a blot.

A couple of weeks ago I decided I wanted to make Blots able to sacrifice an arbitrarily large number of prisoners so that you could basically put 50 people to the noose if you had them. Imagine my disappointment when I found that it was not a simple "max_sacrifices = 4" but rather every single sacrifice has its own mini event chain and duplicating it would be more trouble than I could be arsed with. :arghfist::effort:

Wonderslug
Apr 3, 2011

You don't say.
Fallen Rib
Occasionally I remember to scroll the map south of Germany. Things have been happening down there, such as Hispania forming by itself.

What's not obvious from that picture is that the Emperor of Hispania married Agatha the Young, Queen of Italy, Bavaria, and Burgundy, who finally died at the age of 86.

The fireworks should be interesting.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

I've started my first Islam game as the 1066 Caliph in Baghdad. It is my understanding that all the usually avenues (marry a daughter then start stabbing) for taking my sultan's stuff are closed. How should I go about it? Forget about Persia and be content with taking the Fatamid's stuff?

Related: How useful are horse archer retinues? Light cavalry sounds pretty useless but switching to Turkish just for the retinues seems a bit drastic. And lead to further complications like not being able to form the Arabian empire and opinion penalties with my western neighbours.

Rurik
Mar 5, 2010

Thief
Warrior
Gladiator
Grand Prince

Knuc If U Buck posted:

Where's the fun in that? I think the game gets dull when you can't lose.

psychofishhead
Oct 30, 2010

I'm not sure what a "Takrur" is but I get the feeling I don't want to know.

Nuclear War
Nov 7, 2012

You're a pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty girl
Are there any reccomended starts as a duke in byzantium either in 800 or 1066?
I wanna stab my way to the purple

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

psychofishhead posted:

I'm not sure what a "Takrur" is but I get the feeling I don't want to know.

Pretty sure it's a duchy in West Africa which makes the image all the more confusing.

• Locked thread