Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Canopus250
Feb 18, 2005

You guys are taking me along this time? Right? Wait Shaundi is going? This is bullshit man!

Has Girl Power been updated for the newest patch? Fixing the pagan marriage options had pretty much stumped my last game where the only marriage options where courtiers I spawned or first cousins/kinsmen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In Rainbows
Feb 26, 2011
When do decadence invasions happen because there's this massive blob that is the Shia Caliphate king of Jerusalem who owns all of arabia, the entire byzantine empire, volgha bulgaria, cumania, africa, egypt, and most of georgia and has been at 100% decadence for like the past 2-3 kings. No succession problems at all and they are going to be right at my door after the inevitable invasion for my ally, Bulgaria. They are extremely worrying and have been for quite some time. Multiple 20k doomstacks, I think they can field 180k soldiers and are extremely stable, but I know a decadence invasion would really change it, but it needs to happen like now

edit: Here's a picture

Although I am kind of hoping this blob meets up with Francia blob and they duke it out

In Rainbows fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Jun 30, 2013

Non Sequitur
Apr 22, 2007
A queasy undergraduate scratching his pimples

genericnick posted:

I've started my first Islam game as the 1066 Caliph in Baghdad. It is my understanding that all the usually avenues (marry a daughter then start stabbing) for taking my sultan's stuff are closed. How should I go about it? Forget about Persia and be content with taking the Fatamid's stuff?

You can still get a claim on the sultan's title via marrying a daughter or the Forge Claim plot (which requires your main title to be a duchy in Persia, however) and then press it via a faction. You just can't stab your way into inheriting.

Also, Caliphs get the ridiculously powerful Caliphal Subjugation CB, which lets you take an entire de jure kingdom at a time. Your best bet is probably to conquer the Fatimids for the manpower, then subjugate Mesopotamia or Persia.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

genericnick posted:

Related: How useful are horse archer retinues? Light cavalry sounds pretty useless but switching to Turkish just for the retinues seems a bit drastic. And lead to further complications like not being able to form the Arabian empire and opinion penalties with my western neighbours.

This is just anecdotal, since I don't know about the stats and all that, but I'm playing an 867 start game as the Persian dynasty of Karen so most of my levies are horse archers and they just totally open up shop on all my neighbors. I've easily won battles against armies twice my number when my forces are composed mainly of horse archers.

Sanzuo
May 7, 2007

The stories that get made in this game are amazing.

Started an Old Gods game as a chief in Iceland and had some early success just raiding Ireland and Scotland constantly. Conquered Iceland and a few ancillary counties. Eventually raised a badass son with a 25 martial skill! After inheriting the throne, said son announced he was going to be King of Norway and promptly conquered 8 counties with his own army. His martial got even higher and he became a berserker. :black101: He died in battle trying to conquer the last county he needed to create the Kingdom of Norway.

Unfortunately HIS son and heir was only 10 when that happened, and because of stupid succession laws he lost half of his father's hard-won land to his half-brother who was only 4. All of his courtiers hated him especially his reagent and spymaster. You can probably guess what happened next...

I am now playing as my late Berserker-king's other son who was born from a concubine. He's only 6 now and fortunately I managed to make his spymaster his own mother (who loves him of course) and has a 22 intrigue. I really hope this guy lives to come of age.

Bloody Pancreas
Feb 21, 2008

I am having the weirdest problem. I'm Karen and I've conquered Turkestan to the north and a duchy from the muslims to the east, giving me enough territory to create the Kingdom of Khwarizm. The problem is that whenever I create it, the muslims to the east of me immediately become my vassals. Is this supposed to happen or am I overlooking something?

Possibly related is the fact that when I started my Karen game, the county of Khwarizm (independent in CK2+) immediately becomes a vassal of the northern pagans. Every time I open CK2 and start a game with anyone (other than Khwarizm or Emba), Khwarizm snaps into vassalage. If I then resign and try again, Khwarizm stays independent. This fix only remains as long as I don't quit CK2.

I'm worried that the problem is my save is now locked with this de jure bug (that doesn't seem to effect similar areas like Brittany and independent Nantes), but I'm also worried about starting again when the problem isn't happening, following the same steps, only to find myself with the same kingdom issue anyway. Do any of you guys have any clue as to what could be causing this?

For reference, I'm using the beta update (1.103b) and use CK2+.

HenessyHero
Mar 4, 2008

"I thought we had something, Shepard. Something real."
:qq:
Well my megadukes went critical; I now have lands even I don't know about. I'm all over the Levant, France, England, Germany, Spain. I've been politically uniting Scandinavia under myself via marriages while they just declare war on anything shiny. Normally I'd be thrilled but it seems like my megadukes are breeding solely amongst themselves.

Gonna be fun to see if I can manage to survive the inevitable uberduke.

Qwo
Sep 27, 2011
Anyone know how to edit a realm's starting tech levels?

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

cheesetriangles posted:

I noticed I had over 30 people in my dungeon. Some of them had been there for over 40 years. At the day my emperor came of age he decided to pardon everyone and release them all. I love the stories you make up as you go along.

I felt kind of bad when I kidnapped a gaggle of children in a siege, and then because they wouldn't be ransomed I waited until they all turned 16 and then sacrificed them all. Except for the one that I took as a concubine, she died of depression :smith:

Bloody Pancreas
Feb 21, 2008

Bloody Pancreas posted:

I am having the weirdest problem. I'm Karen and I've conquered Turkestan to the north and a duchy from the muslims to the east, giving me enough territory to create the Kingdom of Khwarizm. The problem is that whenever I create it, the muslims to the east of me immediately become my vassals. Is this supposed to happen or am I overlooking something?

Possibly related is the fact that when I started my Karen game, the county of Khwarizm (independent in CK2+) immediately becomes a vassal of the northern pagans. Every time I open CK2 and start a game with anyone (other than Khwarizm or Emba), Khwarizm snaps into vassalage. If I then resign and try again, Khwarizm stays independent. This fix only remains as long as I don't quit CK2.

I'm worried that the problem is my save is now locked with this de jure bug (that doesn't seem to effect similar areas like Brittany and independent Nantes), but I'm also worried about starting again when the problem isn't happening, following the same steps, only to find myself with the same kingdom issue anyway. Do any of you guys have any clue as to what could be causing this?

For reference, I'm using the beta update (1.103b) and use CK2+.

Well, I seem to have come to grips with this issue. I tried a fresh Karin start (with Khwarizm auto-vassaling) and gave myself the kingdom of Khwarizm. The Samanids to the east immediately became my vassal, but the Tengri to the north did not. I then resigned and tried the same thing again (Khwarizm remaining independent), gave myself the kingdom, and the muslims remained independent. I quit and went back into CK2 and started as Karen again (Khwarizm vassalized) and gave myself the kingdom of Persia. None of the dejure vassals of Persia became my vassals.

I've concluded that there is something wrong specifically with the Kingdom of Khwarizm in relation to the Samanids and the county of Khwarizm in relation to its vassalage with the Yagbuids. These issues can be resolved by reloading, but restarting CK2 will cause these issues to reappear.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Solarflare posted:

Just saw this event, thought it was pretty neat.

Well, what happened next?

AfroSquirrel
Sep 3, 2011

Sebastian Vettel posted:

Pretty sure it's a duchy in West Africa which makes the image all the more confusing.

They must have developed a successful flying machine and laid claim to the skies!

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

WeaponGradeSadness posted:

This is just anecdotal, since I don't know about the stats and all that, but I'm playing an 867 start game as the Persian dynasty of Karen so most of my levies are horse archers and they just totally open up shop on all my neighbors. I've easily won battles against armies twice my number when my forces are composed mainly of horse archers.

Sounds great but it was a silly idea anyway. All the easily conquered territory belongs to the Arabian culture group, to form an empire I'd need to conquer halve of Russia or take over Byzantine and I'll need to take my leave from my liege anyway.

HenessyHero
Mar 4, 2008

"I thought we had something, Shepard. Something real."
:qq:

Ruh oh.

Spiderfist Island
Feb 19, 2011

Democrazy posted:

So, why can't people sail down the Nile river in the game?

Because rivers and lakes basically were only added for Viking Funtime Looting, making it an utter eyesore for all other faiths and completely pointless after the 867 AD start.

Are there any guides to how much the River mechanics can be stretched/abused so that provinces adjacent to rivers can have boats/trading posts/etc? Combining it with CK2+'s navigable Red Sea and Persian/Arab Gulfs would make for a pretty cool map.

MatchaZed
Feb 14, 2010

We Can Do It!

Spiderfist Island posted:

Because rivers and lakes basically were only added for Viking Funtime Looting, making it an utter eyesore for all other faiths and completely pointless after the 867 AD start.

Are there any guides to how much the River mechanics can be stretched/abused so that provinces adjacent to rivers can have boats/trading posts/etc? Combining it with CK2+'s navigable Red Sea and Persian/Arab Gulfs would make for a pretty cool map.

Fairly sure it's hardcoded, unless you can convince Wiz and Doomdark to suggest it to be something that is moddable in the future. Currently I believe beign able to sail on rivers is denoted by religion, not culture, which seems sort of arbitrary and weird.

Also, been playing CK2+ with 1.103b and for some reason Castille, Leon, and Galicia start out as Ag-Cog Primo, which doesn't make much sense to me since the reason why there are so many independent kingdoms is because of gavelkind right? It lead quickly in a couple of games to a super strong unified Castille really quickly.

One other thing of note, I think I'm going to delve into the faction events in CK2+ can try to have options for factions to change succession laws as one of their "rebellious and large enough to threaten" options, with the leader/members of the faction deciding what type of succession law to change to. This seems good because it seems succession laws are too stagnant in CK2+, where as in Vanilla, there are factions devoted to changing them.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

What are blots like from the victim's honoured sacrifice's point of view? Do you get a choice of how to react or is it based on your traits?

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

So a a republic I've claimed and conquered a city in someone else's county, but I am unable to follow it up with a seize county as I don't have a valid CB?

Are there any strange things that govern this as I've done this thing before to steal a neighbouring county just fine.

Enrico Dandolo
Aug 6, 2010

Having a hard time figuring out how this could mean anything but "Prince Bagsecg is the lover of his father, the King of Denmark."

Democrazy
Oct 16, 2008

If you're not willing to lick the boot, then really why are you in politics lol? Everything is a cycle of just getting stomped on so why do you want to lose to it over and over, just submit like me, I'm very intelligent.

AfroSquirrel posted:

They must have developed a successful flying machine and laid claim to the skies!

They're seasteading!

Spiderfist Island posted:

Yeah but I wanna loot all the way down the Nile into Ethiopia.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

You know, the silly thing is that the throne room they have there is totally a European-style design instead of an Aztec one, down to the glass windows and everything.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
How would you folks recommend defusing uberdukes? I just put down a rather large independence revolt and now I've got a load of them in my dungeon and I can't so much as execute the ringleader. Do I just revoke his titles or banish him and take the popularity hit?

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

O'er the sea from the north
there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow

Enrico Dandolo posted:

Having a hard time figuring out how this could mean anything but "Prince Bagsecg is the lover of his father, the King of Denmark."
It's a broken piece of localization, fixed in the beta patch.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

DrSunshine posted:

You know, the silly thing is that the throne room they have there is totally a European-style design instead of an Aztec one, down to the glass windows and everything.

I'm pretty sure that the picture is meant to evoke exactly that, the Aztec emperor sitting on a conquered European throne, right down to the crosses littering the floor and stuff. It's the picture you get for "Aztecs conquer <Major European City>" I believe. It's just been repurposed for an event in TOG it seems.

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

Enrico Dandolo posted:

It's broken localization. But, homosexual incestual relationships would be about par for the course in CK2. There was a mod (I think CK2+), that had a 'Primae Noctae' decision that allowed your king to sleep with courtiers who were getting married, which had like a 50% chance of getting said newly wed wife pregnant. So, if you married off every possible courtier in your court, you would end up with a literal pile of bastard children.

It also gave you a relation penalty, so it was also an awesome way to make everyone hate you.

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

Mr. Fowl posted:

How would you folks recommend defusing uberdukes? I just put down a rather large independence revolt and now I've got a load of them in my dungeon and I can't so much as execute the ringleader. Do I just revoke his titles or banish him and take the popularity hit?

If it's an older King that won't be around much longer, yeah. Banishment, create a bunch of new dukes from unlanded families in independent duchies, and before you do, make sure to marry them to some landless woman. That way you at least get two generations of stable duchies, and the generated landless courtiers should be young enough that the +Granted me a Duchy opinion will keep them loyal for the remainder of your reign. If the dukes were seriously powerful, then that alone should give you enough levies to keep the rest in order until you kick the bucket.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Reveilled posted:

I'm pretty sure that the picture is meant to evoke exactly that, the Aztec emperor sitting on a conquered European throne, right down to the crosses littering the floor and stuff. It's the picture you get for "Aztecs conquer <Major European City>" I believe. It's just been repurposed for an event in TOG it seems.

Ahhh yes, that's right. Hm. Too bad! They should've had a new graphic with an Aztec person on an Aztec-style throne! It'd be cool to see the graphic again, with the same pose, but with a European throne later on when they start to conquer stuff.

EDIT:

Itching for new medieval-ish music with a light tone? I've just found some tracks from some anime show, and they sound quite medieval.

DrSunshine fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Jul 1, 2013

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Adding to what Omnicarus says, if the popularity hit for banishing is too much, chipping away at a megaduke by making him revolt again and again is usually doable after you win the first big war (especially with CK2+ incite revolt plots). If you have one duke rebel prisoner that is a troublemaker and some others who were just along for the ride, release the others so they love you and they won't join in the troublemaker's revolts.

Or if they have a powerful vassal in the right de jure area revoke the duchy for the vassal's area and make them the new duke. The megaduke will probably have a war to get his duchy back but that will keep him out of your hair for a while.

Or just keep him in prison for ever. Or have him murdered in prison (you get a big bonus to plots against people in prison, it's better than executing them) if his heir is a child or someone who won't cause problems.

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun
Wow, playing as Count of Aintab is really tough. I was excited to finally be the little poo poo that rebels in the middle of an important war, but my mercenaries got wiped out by the Seljuks and I got my title revoked :(

Lareine
Jul 22, 2007

KIIIRRRYYYUUUUU CHAAAANNNNNN
I don't think it's fair that my king loses his "Kind" and "Just" traits just because he's involved in murder plots. Sometimes people NEED to murdered for progress to happen!

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Lareine posted:

I don't think it's fair that my king loses his "Kind" and "Just" traits just because he's involved in murder plots. Sometimes people NEED to murdered for progress to happen!

If the guy is a Lunatic, you should gain the Kind trait for killing him.

A Tartan Tory
Mar 26, 2010

You call that a shotgun?!
Oh dear, goodbye Westeros. :ohdear:

Neorxenawang
Jun 9, 2003

DrSunshine posted:

Look at the piles of gold loot in the background. It's a European throne room they have conquered.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Neorxenawang posted:

Look at the piles of gold loot in the background. It's a European throne room they have conquered.

Which is still silly in that particular picture because they won't show up in Europe for a few hundred more years.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Dauntasa posted:

Which is still silly in that particular picture because they won't show up in Europe for a few hundred more years.

No, the longship just happened to be carrying an entire European castle in its looting compartment.

Iunnrais
Jul 25, 2007

It's gaelic.
Early on in the game I'm playing, I was given the option to "Press All Claims" in a war for de jure claims against some Irish Duke. But now I'm fighting the King of England, I've got de jure claims against about 5 different counties (I'm the king of Wales and Scotland, and England had encroached a little before I made those titles), but I can only press one claim at a time. What makes the "Press All Claims" option appear?

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
UHHHHHHHH OKAY WELL

Through a series of... events... Alright, MisterFuzzles gave me The Old Gods for my birthday. So I named my firstborn son ingame Fuzzles. I... did not know names self-propogate.

So years later and I'm on god knows what number of Norse Fuzzles, I'm in the middle of a subjugation war of Sweden, and I succeed just after my king dies and his son (Fuzzles) inherits. Sweden held... more titles than I realized. Now this kid owns England, Sweden, and Norway. And all the stuff these three kingdoms have conquered. And he can suddenly create a load of titles.

OH YES, and he has three holy places. And he gets really lucky with piety gains. And he was pretty pious in the first place.

The end result, gently caress IF I KNOW HOW, is that he became the leader of Reformed Odinism before he managed to finish his regency. The game apparently could not handle this, and now the save crashes every time I touch it.

Here's to you, Fuzzles the ???th. You may have been clubfooted, but you sure as hell could accidentally gain a religion and three kingdoms.

(Maybe the piety gains were part of the save's dawning bugginess, because JESUS CHRIST)

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

Iunnrais posted:

What makes the "Press All Claims" option appear?

If you (personally, not a courtier/vassal) have multiple (personal, not de jure) claims against a target, you'll be able to use Press All Claims. Otherwise you can only do it one at a time.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Omnicarus posted:

If it's an older King that won't be around much longer, yeah. Banishment, create a bunch of new dukes from unlanded families in independent duchies, and before you do, make sure to marry them to some landless woman. That way you at least get two generations of stable duchies, and the generated landless courtiers should be young enough that the +Granted me a Duchy opinion will keep them loyal for the remainder of your reign. If the dukes were seriously powerful, then that alone should give you enough levies to keep the rest in order until you kick the bucket.

My king is still 40-ish, but I seem to have been able to get a handle on things by using revocations and murder. Luckily, it appears that almost all my vassals with an opinion in the red are in the dungeon thanks to that rebellion. They waited until they were listed at 60% of total forces. No matter what I did, I couldn't break up the faction. But hey, now I've got a hobby for the next decade or so--coming up with creative new ways to decorate an oubliette.

One question: can a prisoner produce an heir from a dungeon? One particular problem of mine is that some of the half-dozen or so I've labelled the core conspirators that need to die don't have a good heir. Their counties/duchies would go to a niece or something which would end up creating a more powerful duchy for another line which really is just making my problems worse. If not, I guess my solution is to just keep killing until someone landless inherits, which could be quite messy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iunnrais
Jul 25, 2007

It's gaelic.

Dallan Invictus posted:

If you (personally, not a courtier/vassal) have multiple (personal, not de jure) claims against a target, you'll be able to use Press All Claims. Otherwise you can only do it one at a time.

What's the difference between a personal, and a de jure claim? Do you mean, fabricated versus de jure?

• Locked thread