Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
foobar
Jul 6, 2002

Hey guys, what's the general consensus on the best app for managing business cards? I never had a need to keep track of a lot of business cards before, but I've been rebuilding since Sandy and I have quite a collection of cards from various contractors, insurance adjusters, etc. Looks like there's a number of apps for this so I figured I'd see what everyone uses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vinlaen
Feb 19, 2008

Are there any music visualizers in the app store? (iPad or iPhone)

I've found a couple but they don't seem to work OR they analyze music from the microphone.

I'd like something to play my iTunes music and display some kind of nifty visualizer...

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

foobar posted:

Hey guys, what's the general consensus on the best app for managing business cards? I never had a need to keep track of a lot of business cards before, but I've been rebuilding since Sandy and I have quite a collection of cards from various contractors, insurance adjusters, etc. Looks like there's a number of apps for this so I figured I'd see what everyone uses.

What's wrong with Contacts?

OptimusMatrix
Nov 13, 2003

ASK ME ABOUT MUTILATING MY PET TO SUIT MY OWN AESTHETIC PREFERENCES

foobar posted:

I'm using the full version of CamCard and I like it a lot. It's pretty good.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Vinlaen posted:

Are there any music visualizers in the app store? (iPad or iPhone)

I've found a couple but they don't seem to work OR they analyze music from the microphone.

I'd like something to play my iTunes music and display some kind of nifty visualizer...

Planetary is pretty neat.

foobar
Jul 6, 2002

Boris Galerkin posted:

What's wrong with Contacts?

I guess it's okay, I was hoping for something a little fancier - looks like with Contacts, I just take a picture of the business card and that becomes the photo for that contact. I haven't really investigated business card apps that much, but I was hoping for something that might use OCR to grab the name, address etc. from the photo of the business card.

OptimusMatrix posted:

I'm using the full version of CamCard and I like it a lot. It's pretty good.

Now this is more along the lines of what I'm looking for - I know there are a number of them out there, which is why I was looking for some recommendations. I'm definitely going to try out CamCard. If anyone else has some recommendations I'd love to hear them; I like to try out a few apps before plunking down cash.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

foobar posted:

I guess it's okay, I was hoping for something a little fancier - looks like with Contacts, I just take a picture of the business card and that becomes the photo for that contact. I haven't really investigated business card apps that much, but I was hoping for something that might use OCR to grab the name, address etc. from the photo of the business card.

I mean, why can't you just put names and numbers and addresses (and job information) into Contacts because that's kinda what it's for? Not trying to be rude or anything but I'm genuinely wondering. I had no idea "business card management" was a thing.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
Then you don't have a lot of business cards. :v:

I tried a bunch of the OCR apps for business cards back in the 3GS/4 days, and they were all hit or miss. The most common problems are getting the fields wrong, and not being able to read certain fonts correctly. I eventually gave up and just started manually inputting them into contacts and assigning a picture of the card as the contact pic.

It may have gotten better with the camera improvements in the 4S/5.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Boris Galerkin posted:

I had no idea "business card management" was a thing.

Yeah but what do you do professionally? Our business dev guys go to a trade show and boom theres 50 business cards on someone's desk.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

So I'm thinking about purchasing a Kindle but then it occurred to me, why the hell am I going to buy one when I have an iPhone I can use the Kindle app on? Also on top of that, I have the iTunes store where I can buy books! Anyway, how is the reading experience on the iPhone? Do you guys suffer from eye fatigue or eye strain?

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer

obi_ant posted:

So I'm thinking about purchasing a Kindle but then it occurred to me, why the hell am I going to buy one when I have an iPhone I can use the Kindle app on? Also on top of that, I have the iTunes store where I can buy books! Anyway, how is the reading experience on the iPhone? Do you guys suffer from eye fatigue or eye strain?

E-ink is worth it. I couldn't imagine reading a book on a tiny iphone + backlight.

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

Corona rules everything around me
C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

obi_ant posted:

I much prefer reading on my kindle over my iPhone. I stare at screens all day at work and the e-ink doesn't add to my eye strain for the day(in my case, mileage may vary) and you can read in direct sunlight without it glaring. The one thing I've been holding out on my Kindle for not reading was PDFs of tech manuals but I'm giving that a try right now. It seems to be going ok, just not quite as nice as goodreads with notes, etc. The nice thing about whispersync is that if you get stuck in a situation without your kindle or you just want a quick read you can supplement with your phone.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

obi_ant posted:

I don't have any problems reading books on an iPhone 5 for a long time but I have weird eyes. Just download some free public domain ones and see if it's okay for you.

serebralassazin
Feb 20, 2004
I wish I had something clever to say.

obi_ant posted:

I have used my 5 to read books at work and it isn't as bad as you would think. I use a smaller size font also and haven't had any fatigue or such. I lowered the brightness a bit though. I use the sepia background color with brownish font color. I have high astigmatism and use glasses also. A paper white is definitely a better reading experience though. I have one as well and prefer to use that as a primary method of reading e-books but the phone does a decent enough job also. Hope that helps you out.

foobar
Jul 6, 2002

Boris Galerkin posted:

I mean, why can't you just put names and numbers and addresses (and job information) into Contacts because that's kinda what it's for? Not trying to be rude or anything but I'm genuinely wondering. I had no idea "business card management" was a thing.

If you refer back to my original query, I have a TON of business cards since I'm dealing with a lot of contractors, insurance agents and the like due to damage from superstorm Sandy. If it were just the odd card here and there I'd have no problem adding them to Contacts. In this case I have a several dozen cards and I don't necessarily want to add them as a contact, just want to keep their info on file for future reference.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

PaganGoatPants posted:

E-ink is worth it. I couldn't imagine reading a book on a tiny iphone + backlight.

Use light text on dark background and set the brightness reasonably and it is fine.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

withak posted:

Use light text on dark background and set the brightness reasonably and it is fine.

That sounds like a lot of work. :smithicide:

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Thanks for all the tips guys. At the end of it all I can't justify a $100 purchase I don't need to make. I'm going to try it on my phone first and hopefully I won't become blind in the process.

Dubstep Jesus
Jun 27, 2012

by exmarx

obi_ant posted:

Thanks for all the tips guys. At the end of it all I can't justify a $100 purchase I don't need to make. I'm going to try it on my phone first and hopefully I won't become blind in the process.

Losing eye sight from computer screens is an old wives tale anyways, though I still prefer e-ink.

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat
Really the big plus for E-ink is that reading it at night doesn't throw off your circadian rhythms like looking at a bright phone or computer screen does. I'd love to use my tablet as a replacement kindle, but I am just way too delicate when it comes to falling asleep :/

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

obi_ant posted:

As the owner of a Kindle Fire, let me tell you: Don't waste your money. Get an iPad and the Kindle app instead.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

Kheldarn posted:

As the owner of a Kindle Fire, let me tell you: Don't waste your money. Get an iPad and the Kindle app instead.

I don't think the kindle fire is a real competitor for ereading. It's got to be e-ink kindle or bust. It's an AND, not an OR for me. Love my kindle keyboard, can't stand reading for long periods of time on an iPad or iPhone.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Kheldarn posted:

Owning a Kindle Fire doesn't really show you what owning an E-Ink Kindle is like.

I bought a Kindle back when they still cost $400 and I loved it. Totally thought it was worth the price, but since I got an iPhone and iPad I've hardly touched it. The Kindle has a much better screen for reading (and the current Kindles are even better than the one I have) but to me, they're not so much better that it outweighs the convenience of reading on an iPhone and iPad. As long as you've already got the iPhone, I say try just reading on that for now and if you don't like it, then you should try the Kindle.

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.
Hate reading on iPhone/Pad compared to Kindle/Sony Reader. It's not even like my eyes get all tired or anything it's just that the kindle is nice and light and pleasing on the eyes.

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

Yeah, I can read on my iPod just fine but I love my Kindle Touch for reading, no glare and no headaches. :3:

CaptainCaveman
Apr 16, 2005

Always searching for North.
If you have Amazon Prime, you can also get a free book a month on an actual Kindle device. I don't know that I'd say it's worth getting a Kindle just for that, but it might be something to consider as you try to decide.

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal
In theory I love e-ink and my Kindle, but these days, in practice it just ends up sitting in a drawer until my wife goes on a trip and doesn't want to mess with phone charging on planes.

I carry an iPad mini around religiously, though, which is a nicer experience than doing any extended reading on my phone.

edit: Also, I don't really follow Amazon hardware... Is the Fire really being heavy marketed primarily as an ebook reader? That's baffling to me in about a dozen ways. "Hey, let's make an arguably lovely tablet that lacks the one piece of e-reader technology we're great at and that our tablet-making competitors don't have.

Trustworthy fucked around with this message at 14:07 on Jul 1, 2013

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Kindle Fire is a competitor with the iPad. Being marketed as a tablet.

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal

PaganGoatPants posted:

Kindle Fire is a competitor with the iPad. Being marketed as a tablet.

Okay, cool. The Fire still seems kind of terrible from the five minutes I've spent with one, but at least that marketing plan isn't insane.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose!
To chime in on kindle chat: when I'm travelling I'll generally only bring my ipad/iphone and leave the kindle and MacBook at home because of the usage overlap. I do really like the kindle for getting in an hour of reading before bed; I find that not having a bright LED light shining in my eyes right before bed really helps me sleep. Occasionally I read on my phone when I'm somewhere and I have an unexpected wait (hello doctors office).

I think for the price they ask for an eink kindle is reasonable. I'd even pay more for one with a higher resolution display.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

If you are jail broken, the f.lux tweak when coupled with night mode in iBooks is great for reducing eye strain.

Multiplesarcasm
Mar 3, 2006

a corduroy explosion.
I read during my commute and it can amount to about 2 hours daily, and I although I enjoy having the option to use the Kindle app on my smartphone/tablet, nothing comes close to the Kindle. I use a (now defunct) Kindle Touch and as someone who gladly stares are screens all day, I still find the Kindle's e-ink to be a welcome break for my eyes.

For some app-chat, the addition of Whispersync (where you can buy the narration for any given Kindle book, and then switch off between the two seamlessly) is really cool and works surprisingly well even when I actively try to mess with it. You need to use the Audible app for it, but it's a minor quibble.

Kruxy
May 19, 2004

Just a steel town girl on
a Saturday night, looking
for the fight of her life

foobar posted:

If you refer back to my original query, I have a TON of business cards since I'm dealing with a lot of contractors, insurance agents and the like due to damage from superstorm Sandy. If it were just the odd card here and there I'd have no problem adding them to Contacts. In this case I have a several dozen cards and I don't necessarily want to add them as a contact, just want to keep their info on file for future reference.

You can try out CardMunch. It's free and from LinkedIn. http://cardmunch.com/howitworks.html
You take a pic of the business card, it gets sent to their servers, and a human on the other end at LinkedIn transcribes it. It's not instant, and takes a few days, but the info is spot on when you get it back.

Slid Zion
Jun 7, 2013

obi_ant posted:

It depends where you are going to do your reading, in a dark room or on the beach? If you you´re going to read in the sunlight get a Kindle and use your iPhone as a backup. Good luck! :)

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.
I've been on a renewed kick to get to the gym, and I'd like to have something on my iPhone (ideally, free or $1) that I can use to see a calendar for the current month, and tap on any given day to "tick" when I've been to the gym as a motivator. A list of tick-boxes or radio buttons would also work in a pinch. Ideally I'd like to once, tap to open the app, then tap again on the day (or tick-box, or radio-button), and that's it.

Right now I'm just writing in Notes.app but that is tedious because I have to cross reference the day against Calendar.app then tap through a few times before I can type the number in. I'd like to be able to store this information for a month or two going back, but have no need for backing up or cross-platform sync.

I was thinking of using a paint type app with a screenshot from Calendar.app, so that I could tap to "stamp" each day, but so far none of the free ones I've come across will persist with the screenshot. I guess I could also try dictating to Siri to "add numeral x to my note 'gym'" but if there's something well-made and free, figured I would ask.

clayburn
Mar 6, 2007

Cammy Cam Juice
You might check out https://lift.do/. It is a habit tracking app/web service where you set a habit of "Go to the gym" and check it off every day that you do it. I don't think it quite has the UI you described (I haven't used it in a while), but it is one solution to the problem you are trying to solve.

Tenterhooks
Jul 27, 2003

Bang Bang
Again, not quite the calendar view you're looking for (although there is a calendar-ish overview in the web app) but https://chains.cc/ is another simple activity tracker that's pretty good. It's based around not 'breaking the chain' of things you want to do regularly (like going to the gym). It's one click to update and displays your progress really clearly.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Tenterhooks posted:

Again, not quite the calendar view you're looking for (although there is a calendar-ish overview in the web app) but https://chains.cc/ is another simple activity tracker that's pretty good. It's based around not 'breaking the chain' of things you want to do regularly (like going to the gym). It's one click to update and displays your progress really clearly.
This looks pretty neat. I've been uncertain how I should manage / motivate myself to do my 'ongoing tasks' and this looks like it's worth a shot. Thanks.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Ahahahaha, just downloaded the new update for Yahoo Weather and it looks like they restored the original app icon. I guess enough people clamored for its return after the less than enthusiastic response to the new one :haw:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
New Coke all over again

• Locked thread