Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AppleCobbler
Feb 8, 2003
remember that time I was just chilling out and definitely not having a massive meltdown? right guys? guys??? :laugh:

Falcon2001 posted:

Yeah, those don't change the lock screen on the HTC One - it's a Sense thing, I think. I had the exact same problem.

No. The lockscreen isn't affected by installing nova launcher.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
Can you change the One/Sense lockscreen with Widget Locker?

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

DrBouvenstein posted:

Can you change the One/Sense lockscreen with Widget Locker?

If you set the Sense lockscreen to lock = none and use Widgetlocker, it should, yes.

Otherwise if you don't turn the lockscreen off on the original one by setting it to None you'll have two lockscreens to go through.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

DrBouvenstein posted:

Yes.

Uninstall Apex, then install Nova. :smug:

In all seriousness, nova has the same problem.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Hypnolobster posted:

In all seriousness, nova has the same problem.

Huh...I've never had that problem. The only icons that don't get set as the rest for me are for apps that don't have an icon in that icon pack.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

DrBouvenstein posted:

Huh...I've never had that problem. The only icons that don't get set as the rest for me are for apps that don't have an icon in that icon pack.

There are icons for almost all of them, and if I look on the app drawer, they're using the correct icons. It just doesn't want to change everything that's already placed. It does about half.

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~

DrBouvenstein posted:

Same here, never had any issues getting Nova to change icon sets.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Hypnolobster posted:

There are icons for almost all of them, and if I look on the app drawer, they're using the correct icons. It just doesn't want to change everything that's already placed. It does about half.

Oh, I see what you mean. So for apps that are already shortcuts on your desktop, it doesn't change them?

Eh, it's not really that hard to long press, then edit the icon and choose the one you want.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Hypnolobster posted:

Does it seem to be random, or are they shortcuts you've manually set an icon for?

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

It's pretty random. Facebook, for example, didn't change.

E.T. NO HOMO
Jan 27, 2007

but you say he's
just a friend
Changing the icon set has never changed existing desktop shortcuts for me, is that not just the way it has always been? The only thing that will change is if, say MIUI forces a background for Awful since there isn't a full icon for it, switching to Tersus will change that background to its own.

Schmoli
Apr 22, 2002

Bunson is my hero.
Weird I've only been an android user for a few weeks, and only really on 4.2, so perhaps it's a jelly bean thing but NOVA is always changing all my icons on my homescreens when I change icon packs.

Back and forth between Lustre, Stark, and Goolors usually.

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~
Yeah in my experience, Nova changes every icon that you didn't go in and customize yourself, including shortcuts.

Shroomie
Jul 31, 2008

Lately, Apex seems to change all the existing icons on the desktop. I have had times where it won't change any, or will only change some.

Also freshly downloaded apps that are automatically added to the desktop always have the default icon.

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Take a look at the masked man
Beating up the wrong guy
Oh man! Wonder if he'll ever know
Chris Benoit killed his family

the kawaiiest posted:

Yeah in my experience, Nova changes every icon that you didn't go in and customize yourself, including shortcuts.

Yup. If you change an shortcut on the 'desktop' to a specific icon, Nova won't touch it when you do a whole pack change. At least, that's been my experience. If I set everything back to default and then do a whole pack change then it gets everything.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

nm

actionjackson fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Jun 29, 2013

Solly
Mar 21, 2005

That's a side effect of the marijuana poisoning.

Fixed, sorry I forgot how big the resolution on this phone is.

Solly fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Jun 30, 2013

greatant
Oct 17, 2003

^^^^^^ How about some [timg] tags?

The asymmetry started to bug me so I changed mine a little.

I increased icon size to 130% as well as replacing the single battery bar with two battery bars that meet in the middle and turn from a barely visible black to red when battery is low.

Saliciouscrumb
Jan 15, 2002
Lockscreen minus name

Home screen

News

Calendar

Iconpack is Stark
Weather widget is Meteogram
Haven't decided if I want another background for the homescreens.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Got a link to the calendar widget? I could see it coming in handy all those times I have to think of what day of the week a given day of the month is.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

DrBouvenstein posted:

Got a link to the calendar widget? I could see it coming in handy all those times I have to think of what day of the week a given day of the month is.

I'm pretty sure that's a builtin from Zooper Widgets.

booshi
Aug 14, 2004

:tastykake:||||||||||:tastykake:

the kawaiiest posted:

Was browsing mycolorscreen and came across one I really liked, so I made some changes

Probably gonna change the icon set since the dock is kinda popping out but I haven't decided what to use yet. I don't really want just white icons everywhere.

e: here's the one on mycolorscreen http://mycolorscreen.com/2013/06/19/blr/

I have to ask, do you fly a lot or something? Or just like the airplane icon from PowerToggles? I just can't think of why having that toggle so readily available would be useful unless you're hopping on airplanes once a week at least.

e: And what is that Status Bar?

e2: Oh, and teagone, thanks for the ideas for the Chrome OS gesture-based setup. I'm loving it:

Is there a way to rotate widgets? I'd love to have a wifi toggle "coming out" of the dish (the wallpaper is from the VLA)

booshi fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Jun 30, 2013

YYZ
Apr 26, 2011

booshi posted:

I have to ask, do you fly a lot or something? Or just like the airplane icon from PowerToggles? I just can't think of why having that toggle so readily available would be useful unless you're hopping on airplanes once a week at least.

I use airplane mode pretty regularly to save battery/time in situations where I want to avoid receiving calls (meetings, etc.). It's faster than turning the phone off/on.

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~

YYZ posted:

I use airplane mode pretty regularly to save battery/time in situations where I want to avoid receiving calls (meetings, etc.). It's faster than turning the phone off/on.

Yeah this, and I use it at the movies too.

E: the status bar is a uccw widget, you can find it on the mycolorscreen link I posted.

booshi
Aug 14, 2004

YYZ posted:

Ah, I just use the toggle to put my phone on silent/vibrate/whatever (well, actually, when I connect to my school's wifi, Tasker shuts up my phone). I think using airplane mode never occurred to me after going through a month where I lost two grandparents, and I was always worried I'd miss an important call.

Also my meetings are very laid back and it's not uncommon for people to be doing other things during them (coding, answering emails, hell even full-on bring in and working with a microcontroller during a meeting).

But yeah, makes much more sense now. For a while all I thought was, "drat, these people must be flying a LOT".

booshi fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Jun 30, 2013

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

I used to have to put my phone in airplane mode when I was at work or else by the time I'd leave my battery would be dead.

booshi
Aug 14, 2004

Thumposaurus posted:

I used to have to put my phone in airplane mode when I was at work or else by the time I'd leave my battery would be dead.

What are some of you running that is draining the battery so much that turning off comms is the only way to save battery? My lab has terrible cell service, and for some reason my school's wifi disconnects my phone every hour or so, and it has to reconnect. Despite this, my phone goes from 100% to about 60-50% (depending on phone calls/texting I do, or answering emails when away from my desk) in a 8-10 hour day, depending on the day. Maybe it's because I have a newer phone?

Solly
Mar 21, 2005

That's a side effect of the marijuana poisoning.

DrBouvenstein posted:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.zooper.zwfree&hl=en

Its awesome because I can see exactly how far away payday is.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

booshi posted:

What are some of you running that is draining the battery so much that turning off comms is the only way to save battery? My lab has terrible cell service, and for some reason my school's wifi disconnects my phone every hour or so, and it has to reconnect. Despite this, my phone goes from 100% to about 60-50% (depending on phone calls/texting I do, or answering emails when away from my desk) in a 8-10 hour day, depending on the day. Maybe it's because I have a newer phone?

It was an OG EVO 4G. Where I work is out pretty much in the middle of nowhere so it would constantly be looking for a signal. I just upgraded to a HTC one and the phone will be in the high 70's when I leave now.

booshi
Aug 14, 2004

^^^^ I figured it was older hardware

Solly posted:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.zooper.zwfree&hl=en

Its awesome because I can see exactly how far away payday is.

You can do that with simple math, too :eng101:

Reivax
Apr 24, 2008

booshi posted:

^^^^ I figured it was older hardware

You can do that with simple math, too :eng101:

It's nice to have a visible countdown I guess? It's nowhere near as weird as that one guy who needed a second clock an hour ahead of the first because he couldn't add an hour.

booshi
Aug 14, 2004

Reivax posted:

It's nice to have a visible countdown I guess? It's nowhere near as weird as that one guy who needed a second clock an hour ahead of the first because he couldn't add an hour.

There are countdown widgets that just show the days left, which would be much simpler and not occupy a whole screen.

I don't know, I'm paid on the 15th and last of every month. If I want to know how far away I am from a payday, it's not like calculating the difference between two days takes more than a second.

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

Alright, I have an easy question (I hope). I've just started modding widgets and customizing the look of my phone (Motorola Photon running 2.3.5). I was messing around in UCCW, and saw some really great skins/widgets on the play store that I love, but would like to tweak them some. However, whenever I open UCCW and go to open the file to customize it, it doesn't see any of the uzip files I've installed. I even had one of the creators email me the file directly so I could put it exactly where I wanted so I could find it easy enough, and it's still not popping up in the UCCW directory.

What can I do to customize these? Is there something I'm missing?

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

lock - widget locker, minimal uccw clock, minimal text for alarm notification, phantom music (not shown)

home screen has tiny white icons on bottom

Fat Lou
Jan 21, 2008

Desert Heat? I thought it was Dessert Heat. No wonder it tastes so bad.

Time to try something new. It is mostly stolen, with some modifications, from elsewhere on the internet.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Where is the notification stuff from?

Fat Lou
Jan 21, 2008

Desert Heat? I thought it was Dessert Heat. No wonder it tastes so bad.

actionjackson posted:

Where is the notification stuff from?

http://mycolorscreen.com/2013/05/22/pure-minimal-4/

I still need to to some tweaks to make it to my liking, but I really like that notification bar thing.

QuasiQuack
Jun 13, 2010

Ducks hockey baybee
Does Apex Launcher still have a problem with lag? I had to revert to the stock launcher a few months ago because the phone was unusable with Apex.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Fat Lou posted:

http://mycolorscreen.com/2013/05/22/pure-minimal-4/

I still need to to some tweaks to make it to my liking, but I really like that notification bar thing.

Nice, totally using that notification bar, too.

But, as with all things text-related, I'll have to remove it, since Google still doesn't allow outside apps to "see" Google Voice's unread messages, etc...

So loving frustrating. Like...I could get notifications if I had GV forward them to my phone's own SMS app, and then just turn off notifications from GV, I guess...but then I get into situations where the phone's SMS app doesn't match the GV app, which doesn't match the web interface, depending on what app I use to read/respond to messages from...ugh, it's a mess no matter how I do it, except the current way, which is use GV and ONLY GV. No message or notification forwarding at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

Thumposaurus posted:

This, I work in a bit metal box with no signal at all. Fortunately I have wifi so my phone has some use.

• Locked thread