Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BobTheCow
Dec 11, 2004

That's a thing?
I'm an American whose only experience with Jimmy Carr is one or two standup specials, but I've loving loved him in those.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Jimmy Carr's great. His stand-up specials are fun, and he's a good host for 8 Out of 10 Cats.
Speaking of 8 Out of 10 Cats, I actually really like the UK panel show scene, in general. Would I Lie To You, QI, Mock the Week, The Unbelievable Truth, You Have Been Watching, Ask Rhod Gilbert... they've introduced me to a lot of great UK comedians. David O'Doherty, Milton Jones, Sean Lock, Rhod Gilbert, Rob Brydon, Sarah Millican, Henning Wehn, just to name a handful.

thexerox123 fucked around with this message at 14:41 on Jun 28, 2013

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
As far as I can tell, the closest thing America has to the British panel scene is, strangely enough, the podcasting community. Hell, Doug Loves Movies is essentially a poorly organized panel show as is.

Shovelbearer
Oct 11, 2003
Paragon of Lexicon

Forum Hussy posted:

Dave Chappelle just did three nights in town and I didn't know until today :negative:

Edit: Kinane is doing a one-nighter on Thursday that I can't make, Rory Scovel just recorded an album at Third Man Records that I forgot about...what am I doing with my life

Well for God's sake, fellow Nashville comedy goon, don't miss Marc Maron in July and Myq Kaplan and Bobcat Goldthwait in August, unless you just don't like those guys, in which case, by all means, skip them!

I passed on Chappelle to do the Mercy Lounge open mic because I'm just that dedicated to learning cheap.

Past Tense Ragu
Oct 17, 2005

escape artist posted:

What was that thing you said to me? "Oh, gently caress off" -- good advice. Maybe you should practice what you preach.

You are so prickly and loving sensitive, jesus

Urk!
Sep 5, 2008

goobers
Has anyone watched Comedians In Cars Getting Coffee? It's Seinfeld interviewing other people in the comedy field while they drive to a random diner for breakfast in a random car.

I've watched a few and, while the guests and the interviews are interesting, Seinfeld occasionally seems kind of passive aggressive.

Not sure if anyone else felt that way, or if it's just me.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

urk the quack posted:

Has anyone watched Comedians In Cars Getting Coffee? It's Seinfeld interviewing other people in the comedy field while they drive to a random diner for breakfast in a random car.

I've watched a few and, while the guests and the interviews are interesting, Seinfeld occasionally seems kind of passive aggressive.

Not sure if anyone else felt that way, or if it's just me.

Don't think he came off passive aggressive at all. He was semi-confrontational, but it was in a friendly and interesting way, as you would with your friends. Also, it was funny-as-hell.

The Larry David, Brian Regan and Alec Baldwin episodes in the first series are standouts.

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

Good, bad. I'm the one with the power of Shu, Heru, Amon, Zehuti, Aton, and Mehen.
College Slice

LesterGroans posted:

Don't think he came off passive aggressive at all. He was semi-confrontational, but it was in a friendly and interesting way, as you would with your friends. Also, it was funny-as-hell.

That's how I read it. Not being a jerk, just prodding people to keep the conversation going.

Also, I love the series. Coffee, cool cars, and comedians are pretty much some of the best things.

LesterGroans posted:

The Larry David, Brian Regan and Alec Baldwin episodes in the first series are standouts.

I haven't seen the Alec Baldwin one yet, but I agree that the Larry David and Brian Regan ones are great.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

Past Tense Ragu posted:

You are so prickly and loving sensitive, jesus
Great post, wonderful contribution to the thread! Actually, he's been following me through the forums for weeks now, and it's obnoxious. I finally caved and added him to my ignore list. Also, aren't you the guy who's been sending me goatse photos in my PMs?

Did anyone check out the new Owen Benjamin stand-up last night on CC? I DVR'ed it.

Upcoming new hour long specials that I'm looking very forward to: Kumail Nanjiani, Kurt Metzger and Sarah Silverman.

escape artist fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Jun 30, 2013

Politicalrancor
Jan 29, 2008

i'm following him around, not just posting in the same threads because we have similar interests.

defectivemonkey
Jun 5, 2012
Back to stand-up, I just watched Hodgman's special and wasn't disappointed, but also wasn't really into it. I really liked his straight, off-theme stuff in the beginning and I hope he keeps working in stand-up because I'd be interested to see where he goes with it.

Also Joel is Jon Ronson's son, right? He has a son named Joel who's in NYC now and the age is right, but I couldn't find any definite confirmation.

Nate405
Oct 21, 2002

detectivemonkey posted:

Also Joel is Jon Ronson's son, right? He has a son named Joel who's in NYC now and the age is right, but I couldn't find any definite confirmation.

John Hodgman did a Reddit AMA a few days ago where this came up:

John Hodgman posted:

He is the great Joel Ronson, son of the great Jon Ronson, author of THE PSYCHOPATH TEST. They are friends. I knew they were coming to the show, and I decided that day to bring him up on stage. It was all improvised. Someday you will see the extended cut and there is A LOT OF JOEL IN IT.

Nate405 fucked around with this message at 13:26 on Jun 30, 2013

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Do you smell what The Mauk is cooking?
Hey remember when we were discussing Kurt Metzger being a piece of poo poo? Well here he is admitting to choking a girlfriend and saying other awful poo poo.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

"...i choked her. Not really hard, but definitely criminally."

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

Seems like cool guy.

Mst3kmann
Aug 8, 2005

FOREST WHITAKER EYE
Boston is the loving worst.

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

Glad to see I didn't misjudge Kurt Metzger.

defectivemonkey
Jun 5, 2012

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

Glad to see I didn't misjudge Kurt Metzger.

Seriously. I felt like he was probably 100% awful, but not everyone was on board so I had doubts. Maybe I was missing something? Nope.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
Well luckily these days what goes around comes around. And then when his career starts to dry up he can blame it all on a feminazi cabal. It's a win win situation.

Past Tense Ragu
Oct 17, 2005

escape artist posted:

Great post, wonderful contribution to the thread! Actually, he's been following me through the forums for weeks now, and it's obnoxious. I finally caved and added him to my ignore list. Also, aren't you the guy who's been sending me goatse photos in my PMs?

Lmao you are a loving psycho, you are the one who PMed me out of nowhere saying "Suck my dick you loving punk." after I mildly criticized you in some other thread. You can check your outbox and find that out so you're either lying to seem like the victim or your PMs are too crowded with similar messages to keep track of who you harass for imagined slights.

Anyway, Dave Chappelle performed in NC recently and the ticket price was $52 a pop. Is that a normal figure for a national comedian? People are always throwing around numbers like $10 in this thread is why I ask.

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

Al! posted:

Well luckily these days what goes around comes around. And then when his career starts to dry up he can blame it all on a feminazi cabal. It's a win win situation.

It's times like this when I wish there actually was a secret feminazi cabal.

e: GRAMMAR! :argh:

Conduit for Sale! fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Jul 1, 2013

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Metzger is like 6 months away from having a show on Fox News or something.

Trujillo
Jul 10, 2007

Past Tense Ragu posted:

Anyway, Dave Chappelle performed in NC recently and the ticket price was $52 a pop. Is that a normal figure for a national comedian? People are always throwing around numbers like $10 in this thread is why I ask.

Yeah, the biggest names usually do. That was the same price for Chappelle when he was here, and the tickets were being scalped for about four times that. Around $10 is probably for a comedian that mostly only comedy nerds know at a small venue. $30-40 for cheapest seats seems average for well known comedians at a bigger venue.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
Jesus Christ. Scratch Metzger off the list of upcoming stand-up specials I'm looking forward to.

Declan MacManus posted:

"...i choked her. Not really hard, but definitely criminally."

"On other hand, who thinks it's okay to burn my stuff because I was late. gently caress you bitch."

Seriously, I'm honestly appalled. I really liked his first album and assumed he was always playing up what a lovely person he was. This is like finding out Anthony Jeselnik really does some of the horrible stuff in his stand-up.

I can admit when I was wrong-- and I was dreadfully wrong about Metzger.

edit:

Christ, I searched "Kurt Metzger choke" and found a whole bunch of poo poo. Metzger calling a bunch of people, and I quote: "niggerfaggots"

I feel dirty just having typed that.

escape artist fucked around with this message at 10:25 on Jul 1, 2013

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

Apparently Amy Schumer is doing a reddit AMA today. I don't post on reddit but hopefully someone asks her why she employs a giant piece of poo poo like Metzger.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
I'm going back to Hot Tub with Kurt and Kristen tonight. Should be a good night. Nick Thune, Rory Scovel, and Jerrod Carrmicheal are all going to be there.

Excited about Jerrod because dude is funny and really seems to be making a name for himself[. I expect him To go far.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine

The Berzerker posted:

Apparently Amy Schumer is doing a reddit AMA today. I don't post on reddit but hopefully someone asks her why she employs a giant piece of poo poo like Metzger.

He's funny. I doubt very much that anything truly matters beyond that to her or anyone else watching the show.

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Do you smell what The Mauk is cooking?

The Berzerker posted:

I'm sure Reddit will be very concerned about supporting a woman beater.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

Groucho Marxist posted:

I'm sure Reddit will be very concerned about supporting a woman beater.

Yeah, I spent too much time in the sun yesterday, I don't know what I was thinking.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

The Berzerker posted:

Yeah, I spent too much time in the sun yesterday, I don't know what I was thinking.

There's actually a "Behind Amy Schumer" -- which is behind the scenes of the show-- where she discusses why she picked each writer.

"I think Kurt is hilarious and a total degenerate."

http://www.comedycentral.com/cc-studios/behind-amy-schumer/3zuasl/episode-102

Shovelbearer
Oct 11, 2003
Paragon of Lexicon
Sucks to find out that Metzger is such a piece of poo poo. I saw him at the High Watt in Nashville a couple of months ago and it was one of the funnier shows I've seen, probably enhanced by the fact that my girlfriend and I were like his go-to audience members. There were sections where it felt like a private show. Maybe he was just sizing up her neck.

On another note, it's looking like I will get a shot to host an open mic night at a really cool restaurant/bar in East Nash that I think will be a good room for comedy (which is why I proposed to them that they let me host an open mic there). Anyone have any experience with this? I think I've been to enough open mics that I basically know the host job (and I think I can pull in enough people to make the inaugural night a success), but in case anyone is aware of any pitfalls I might be overlooking, I'm all ears.

Shovelbearer fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Jul 2, 2013

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP FOREVER.
Try to avoid having a bartender that is just there for your show unless you think you're going to get a really consistent audience each week. Most comics don't drink when they go to mics, and so it's really stressful having someone's tips be determined on your ability to pull audience.

Find out what the deal is with the sound/lighting system. Is there one? Will you have access to it or will someone else control it? Dim the lights, make it feel like a show.

3-5 or 5-7. 10 at the most for time. If you give new comics 10 they will do it, but they (probably) shouldn't. Put on a good show.

I don't know where you live, but try advertising. Posters, postcards. Youth hostels are a good place to hit up to bring in audience looking for something to do.

I'm not sure how you go about this, but I've seen some mics have a sponsor, like a national/local beer sponsor and it seems to help. People like free stuff.

Lastly, actually host the show. Do some time up front. Set the table for the comic after you.

Shovelbearer
Oct 11, 2003
Paragon of Lexicon

rear end Catchcum posted:

Try to avoid having a bartender that is just there for your show unless you think you're going to get a really consistent audience each week. Most comics don't drink when they go to mics, and so it's really stressful having someone's tips be determined on your ability to pull audience.

Find out what the deal is with the sound/lighting system. Is there one? Will you have access to it or will someone else control it? Dim the lights, make it feel like a show.

3-5 or 5-7. 10 at the most for time. If you give new comics 10 they will do it, but they (probably) shouldn't. Put on a good show.

I don't know where you live, but try advertising. Posters, postcards. Youth hostels are a good place to hit up to bring in audience looking for something to do.

I'm not sure how you go about this, but I've seen some mics have a sponsor, like a national/local beer sponsor and it seems to help. People like free stuff.

Lastly, actually host the show. Do some time up front. Set the table for the comic after you.

Ah, there we go. I hadn't thought about the lights. I'm thinking of somewhere between 4 and 6 minutes for each comic, depending on how many of them show up. Most open mics around here seem to be 4 or 5 minutes. And I'm definitely going to really host the show, as this is one of the main reasons I wanted to do it. I figure I'll just be the first comic, maybe say some benign thing about a comic that just went (if there's anything to work with), remind everyone to drink/eat/tip a couple of times, and introduce everyone, then put a cap on it/thank the venue at the end. Thanks for the tips.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
Just make sure you tell the comics where you're going to be and where to expect the light. First time I ever performed the host forgot to do that and he was dancing around the whole venue trying to get me off, because I did twice my time. I'm nearsighted and didn't notice him at all.

Time loving flies when you go up there, 5 minutes feels like 2 minutes.

I wish some places would just invest in a red light, because a lot of the times it's people holding up cell phones, which is tough to see regardless of your vision.

Oh, and don't be a dick. That sounds like a mean jape, but it's not. Some hosts are real assholes and some are really cool and friendly.

escape artist fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Jul 3, 2013

toanoradian
May 31, 2011

The happiest waffligator

thexerox123 posted:

Speaking of 8 Out of 10 Cats, I actually really like the UK panel show scene, in general.

My exposure to stand-up comedies in general are from good guests in panel shows I like. Which is why most of my collection are British comedians. Everything I know about American stand-up scene (very little) comes from the few podcasts I consume.

Speaking of which, what's a new American stand-up CD you guys would recommend? I tend to prefer shorter but more jokes than longer anecdotes, but anything that isn't too raunchy or mean-spirited is fine with me. Also if the comedian's a bit more obscure it'll be even better, the most obscure one I have is the one by Simon Munnery.

EDIT: Wait, Munnery's british. Uhh, the most obscure American stand-up comedian I have is...Pablo Francisco.

toanoradian fucked around with this message at 07:04 on Jul 3, 2013

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

It sounds like you want "positive" humor (which sounds stupid but I can't think of what else to call it) since you said you don't want anything raunchy or mean spirited. If that's the case, you can't go wrong with either of Pete Holmes' albums. I think the first (Impregnated With Wonder) is the best of the two, so pick that one up first.

John Mulaney's album New in Town is great. I didn't know he had another album, but apparently he does and I'm sure it's great. TJ Miller's No Real Reason is one of my favorite standup specials, but I don't know if it's on CD or not. If it isn't, it's on DVD at least.

Also I know you said you want shorter jokes rather than longer anecdotes, but you HAVE to listen to a Paul F. Tompkins album. It's required by comedy law. Laboring Under Delusions: Live in Brooklyn is on CD, but I don't know about You Should Have Told Me. I think Laboring Under Delusions is better anyway. Impersonal and Freak Wharf are great and more joke-oriented, but I think the two anecdote based specials are much better. If in doubt, just get them all!

That's all I can think of, mostly because I don't like a lot of standup. :v:

Conduit for Sale! fucked around with this message at 07:29 on Jul 3, 2013

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

Good, bad. I'm the one with the power of Shu, Heru, Amon, Zehuti, Aton, and Mehen.
College Slice
Ha, John Mulaney is the first name that popped to my mind, too. His first album, The Top Part, is good, too.

toanoradian, any of Maria Bamford's albums would be a great choice, too. Reaching back a bit, I always enjoyed Mitch Hedberg's Strategic Grill Locations. David Cross's albums are solid choices, too. I'd recommend James Adomian's Low Hanging Fruit, but that's more into the anecdote/extended narrative you're not as keen on.

Thelonius Van Funk
Apr 7, 2007
Oh boy
Todd Barry's first two albums are also great for quick jokes.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

Thelonius Van Funk posted:

Todd Barry's first two albums are also great for quick jokes.

His joke about the guy from Third Eye Blind on MTV Cribs is one of my favorite jokes ever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RadioactiveKid
Aug 12, 2005

Gato Rebelde
Sadamantium by Mike Lawrence is a great comedy album. He dosent really do short jokes, but I highly recomend it. Its my favorite comedy CD of this year