Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong
Oh, don't get me wrong, I think he's a phenomenal artist. If mentioning Dave Stewart came off as disparaging it wasn't my intention.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES
So has anybody here read Astro City yet? I read that it was released on the fifth and didn't see it on my comic store shelves.

Was Taters
Jul 30, 2004

Here comes a regular

Benny the Snake posted:

So has anybody here read Astro City yet? I read that it was released on the fifth and didn't see it on my comic store shelves.

It's now a DC title I think. It was good.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Astro City is never "good" it's "amazing" and "great". Those are really the only adjectives to be used.

I love Astro City and have been looking forward to it's return for many years. It rewards old readers as well as super accessible for new readers as well. Overall A plus.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Was Taters posted:

It's now a DC title I think. It was good.
It's being published by Vertigo. And yes, it was great and I've never read any Astro City before.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Guys Azz and Risso are back on a 100 Bullets spinoff named Brother Lono and it rules, also features one of the best covers ever for issue 3:

8 part series about Lono's exploits after the end of 100 bullets (spoilers for 100 bullets I guess)

Was Taters
Jul 30, 2004

Here comes a regular
That cover is gorgeous. I wish I'd liked 100 Bullets more.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Was Taters posted:

That cover is gorgeous. I wish I'd liked 100 Bullets more.

I loved the first two graphic novel collections, but after that the plot seemed to me to collapse under its own weight.

S.W.O.R.D. Agent
Apr 30, 2012

Benny the Snake posted:

Hey speaking of Snyder...

Drop date is August 7th. I could not me more happier right now; I'm as giddy as a schoolgirl. Greg Ruka! Becky Cloonan! :swoon:

Does anyone know if this got pushed back / delayed? I'm not seeing it listed as an August release.

Edit: Nevermind, I found it listed under DC releases.

S.W.O.R.D. Agent fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Jun 20, 2013

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

ulmont posted:

I loved the first two graphic novel collections, but after that the plot seemed to me to collapse under its own weight.

Noooo please don't talk poo poo about 100 Bullets. Some of the best stories are in the back half! Plus some of the best characters dont even get introduced until that point like Victor Ray-gun.

Martello
Apr 29, 2012

by XyloJW

Jerkface posted:

Noooo please don't talk poo poo about 100 Bullets. Some of the best stories are in the back half! Plus some of the best characters dont even get introduced until that point like Victor Ray-gun.

Holy poo poo 100 Bullets is my favorite comic book series ever. I don't understand how anyone can not like any of it. Pure gold from front to back.

Jerkface posted:

Guys Azz and Risso are back on a 100 Bullets spinoff named Brother Lono and it rules, also features one of the best covers ever for issue 3:

8 part series about Lono's exploits after the end of 100 bullets (spoilers for 100 bullets I guess)

This looks amazing and I will be buying it as soon as the trade hits Amazon. What I'd always hoped for would be a "Tales of the Minutemen" mini-series with stories of various Minutemen exploits since their inception.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
Wake has me totally hooked.

Mr Wind Up Bird
Jan 23, 2004

i'm a goddamn coward
but then again so are you
Yeah even if you don't know anything about 100 Bullets you might enjoy Lono just to watch a horrible person to horrible things to slightly more horrible people.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!

Mr Wind Up Bird posted:

Yeah even if you don't know anything about 100 Bullets you might enjoy Lono just to watch a horrible person to horrible things to slightly more horrible people.
I picked up Lono knowing what Azzarello is like and it was still a bit much for me.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
Someone please get the Fables out of my Unwritten, tia.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer
Every time I see new post in the Vertigo thread, I expect it to be link to the press release that it's been shut down.

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong

Soonmot posted:

Yeah, I don't know what any of this story is but it sure seems convoluted as hell and I'm frankly pissed off I'm going to have to endure 5 issues of this. Especially after that absolutely brilliant Orpheus issue.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

SalTheBard posted:

Wake has me totally hooked.

I usually trade wait Vertigo titles but Wake has me hooked too. I kind of like that it is a limited series. Means that every issue will be critical and so far the first two issues have been top notch.

Ruptured Yakety Sax
Jun 8, 2012

ARE YOU AN ANGEL, BIRD??

Soonmot posted:

It wasn't that terrible I guess :geno:. I mean I didn't like it but one more issue and we can move on to

Oh rear end in a top hat.

Man and Unwritten was going gangbusters too.

Bitchin Kitchen
Jun 2, 2006
Capital!
Is The Wake drawn by the dude that drew Punk Rock Jesus because I just finished that book and that art rocked.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib

Bitchin Kitchen posted:

Is The Wake drawn by the dude that drew Punk Rock Jesus because I just finished that book and that art rocked.

Yes that's correct

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

If you like his art (Sean Gordon Murphy) also check out the 8 issue series he did with Grant Morrison called "Joe the Barbarian." It's exceptionally imaginative and the art is amazing.

He also did one of the mini series for American Vampire (Survival of the Fittest) that's good too (if you're already reading AmVamp).

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Madkal posted:

I usually trade wait Vertigo titles but Wake has me hooked too. I kind of like that it is a limited series. Means that every issue will be critical and so far the first two issues have been top notch.

But if they stick extra story pages in like they did with Punk Rock Jesus, I swear I will do murder. Don't they realise how much of a slap in the face that is to the people who support the books month in, month out?

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

redbackground posted:

Every time I see new post in the Vertigo thread, I expect it to be link to the press release that it's been shut down.

Sadly, I'm at the same point.

Bitchin Kitchen
Jun 2, 2006
Capital!
So I just read Joe the Barbarian and that was crazy, too. I enjoyed it's whole deal. Crowd shots, man. Love them.

I will probably check out the Wake now. Does it have anything to do with some dude's dad though? Scott Snyder and all.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

redbackground posted:

Vertigo died the moment they got rid of Karen Berger

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong
The new Sandman title will be called Sandman: Overture and it's coming in October. That's really not that far away. I am freaking out a little bit.

e: vv Nice save

Kull the Conqueror fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Jul 1, 2013

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

J.H. Williams III says the colors are off in that article. He posted the proper version on his blog.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I hope there's a 99c digital sale on Sandman coming to promote it.

S.W.O.R.D. Agent
Apr 30, 2012

Bitchin Kitchen posted:

I will probably check out the Wake now. Does it have anything to do with some dude's dad though? Scott Snyder and all.
Nope, but it does have a female protagonist hallucinating about her mom!

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Endless Mike posted:

J.H. Williams III says the colors are off in that article. He posted the proper version on his blog.

The "proper" version looks identical to me. What should I be seeing?

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Jedit posted:

The NY Times version is just a bit murkier.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Jedit posted:

J.H. Williams III posted:

At last the title of the new Sandman series has been revealed! And here is first cover image for the series. This is the same piece that was run for today’s NY Times article but a better view. You’ll note the difference in color versus the article version. For some reason the image shown for the Times article looks grey, or dulled, or darkened. So I wanted to show it here with a clarification on the color. In both virgin and text design versions…
Kull the Conqueror changed his post after I posted that.

But put them side by side...

Goldskull
Feb 20, 2011

Illustrations great but that's some serious terrible logo/font usage right there. Where's Dave McKean when you need him?

FoneBone
Oct 24, 2004
stupid, stupid rat creatures

Kull the Conqueror posted:

The new Sandman title will be called Sandman: Overture and it's coming in October. That's really not that far away. I am freaking out a little bit.

e: vv Nice save

The other news is that DC is attempting to push a revival of the line this fall:

quote:

HINTERKIND – Decades after “The Blight” all but wiped out the human race, Mother Nature is taking back what’s hers and she’s not alone … all the creatures of myth and legend have returned and they're not happy. After her grandfather disappears, Prosper Monday must leave the security and seclusion of her Central Park village to venture into the wilds to find him, unaware of how much the world has changed. An epic fantasy adventure set in a post-apocalyptic world, HINTERKIND is written by Ian Edginton and illustrated by Francesco Trifogli, and debuts this October.
THE DISCIPLINE – Launching this December, THE DISCIPLINE is a dark, erotic thriller about a privileged young woman named Melissa who is thrust into a centuries old battle between good and evil. She begins an affair with a mysterious man named Orlando who opens her eyes to a sexually sinister world she never knew existed. Through this ritualistic seduction (“The Discipline”), Orlando unlocks Melissa’s inner power and then enlists her into a shadowy war that has been fought for centuries. THE DISCIPLINE comes to you from writer Peter Milligan and artist Leo Fernandez.
DEAD BOY DETECTIVES - Spinning out of the pages of Neil Gaiman's SANDMAN, two dead British school boys star in their own monthly series and solve crimes in the 21st century with the help of a new female accomplice. Premiering in November, DEAD BOY DETECTIVES is written by noted British novelist Toby Litt with layouts and painted covers by Mark Buckingham (FABLES).
But that’s not all! In THE NEW YORK TIMES’ feature, it is mentioned that Vertigo will be launching six new series this year. Today, we can confirm the additional two titles that the revered imprint will be publishing later this year:

SUICIDERS – Hitting the spinner rack this December, this new series marks the incomparable Lee Bermejo’s (JOKER; BATMAN: NOEL; BEFORE WATCHMEN: RORSCHACH) debut as an ongoing series comic book writer and artist. SUICIDERS follows the lies of two futuristic boxers – one on top of the world, the other trying to fight (and kill) his way there. Set in Los Angeles after “The Big One,” “Suiciders” is the wildly popular reality sport that contestants are literally dying to be a part of … and to be the best, you have to murder the best.
COFFIN HILL – When she was 15, Eve Coffin summoned a darkness that had been buried since the Salem Witch Trials. Now Eve’s back to harness the evil that destroyed her friends and is slowly taking over the sleepy town of Coffin Hill. This is a series full of magic, madness and murder via a twisted family of New Englanders. Arriving in stores this October, COFFIN HILL combines the talents of artist Inaki Miranda (FAIREST: THE HIDDEN KINGDOM) with writer Caitlin Kittredge, a young, dark fantasy author whose writing includes the Nocturne City, the Black London, and the Iron Codex series of novels – which include the recently published titles Dark Days and The Mirrored Shard.

FoneBone fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Jul 1, 2013

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

So I picked up Lucifer Book One and now I'm desperate for more. Is this series worth picking up twice(comixology and then the new release books)?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

KidDynamite posted:

So I picked up Lucifer Book One and now I'm desperate for more. Is this series worth picking up twice(comixology and then the new release books)?

Yes it as good as Sandman

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

bobkatt013 posted:

Yes it as good as Sandman
I'd go so far to say it's better overall since it takes the best part of Sandman - Season of Mists - and runs with it, and doesn't have Sandman's teething problems (like the way the first arc is firmly set in the DCU) or wildly inconsistent art or hit-or-miss story arcs (seriously, couldn't Kindly Ones have run about a third shorter?). Gaiman tried a lot of new things, and changed the face of comics (and the field of fantasy) forever, but not everything he tried worked.

Lucifer's treatment of women is better than Sandman's, too.

FMguru fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Jul 1, 2013

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

Yeah, Lucifer's one of the best comics I've ever read.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Endless Mike posted:

Kull the Conqueror changed his post after I posted that.

But put them side by side...

And DC just posted this image in solicitation.

I expect by the time it's printed, we'll have this

• Locked thread