Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

Yodzilla posted:

Dice was great in Witcher 1. No idea how they hosed it up so bad for 2.

I hated it in both and I don't see how they're all that different.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.

The Sharmat posted:

It was really easy in the first one and in the second the game cheats.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

In the first game you could bet increasingly more money as you joined better gaming circles and the view was top-down so you could roll the dice easier. In the second game the amount you could bet was static, so you'd play a game for a minute only to get, maybe, 5-10 orens for your trouble and the camera was angled to the point where you couldn't tell where the middle of the board was so if you tried to roll your dice half the time they'd just bounce off the board.

It was a dumb change.

SpRahl
Apr 22, 2008

PureRok posted:

I was under the impression that it was found the AI cheats in the first game?

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

PureRok posted:

I guess I'm just bad at it because I found the difficulty level about the same. Seemed mostly down to luck.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

The Sharmat posted:

For some reason the devs decided in 2 there needed to be a hyper dynamic camera angle where you can't see a drat thing coupled with motion controls for throwing dice that both easily let you game the system and/or throw the dice out of the playing field. Then they made the dice faces runs instead of loving dots like everyone is used to and used a faint glow to indicate which ones you're sending back instead of anything people can easily see.

Also they got rid of it being best out of three which sucks. I liked dice in 1. :saddowns:

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed

SpRahl posted:

I was under the impression that it was found the AI cheats in the first game?

I think the story is that the AI cheated really badly in the original Witcher but in the enhanced edition they made it more fair or something. I hated dice poker in both games.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

Dr. Abysmal posted:

I think the story is that the AI cheated really badly in the original Witcher but in the enhanced edition they made it more fair or something. I hated dice poker in both games.

I heard that originally dice poker was really easy in the first one, because the AI would throw away matched dice to try and get a higher hand. Then they changed it to be what it is when the Enhanced Edition came out. But yeah, gently caress dice poker.

MrMagician
Apr 10, 2007
Where did the lighter fluid come from?

Yodzilla posted:

Also they got rid of it being best out of three which sucks. I liked dice in 1. :saddowns:

This right here is the bit that annoyed me the most about the dice in the second game. Obviously it's still pretty much all blind luck, but at least with best of three there was a tiny bit of strategy and you felt that you could make up in some minuscule way for the AI getting ridiculously lucky.

That and only playing one game seemed to mean a lot more mashing through the dialogue and menus to try and win the one game you need to progress quests.

Leb
Jan 15, 2004

Change came to America on November the 4th, 2008, in the form of an unassuming Senator from the state of Illinois.
The only strategy now revolves around immediately resigning if your very first roll isn't super commanding.

majestic12
Sep 2, 2003

Pete likes coffee

Yodzilla posted:

Dice was great in Witcher 1. No idea how they hosed it up so bad for 2.

Foltest god drat cheated. The music was way better though:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3dFmeQvBR1I

SpRahl
Apr 22, 2008

majestic12 posted:

Foltest god drat cheated. The music was way better though:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3dFmeQvBR1I

The music as a whole was better in the Witcher 1 period, not to say the music in the second game was bad though.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Leb posted:

All this talk of his armor and no one mention his chiseled buttocks. For shame.

It's hard to type one-handed.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

SpRahl posted:

The music as a whole was better in the Witcher 1 period, not to say the music in the second game was bad though.

I have to agree with that. Though there are a few tracks in Witcher 2 that stand out to me as great, and it's overall good, there were just more of them I feel that way about in Witcher 1. The battle music was almost universally better in my opinion, but I think River of Life or whatever the Murky Waters theme was called takes the cake. So soothing. Although it's helped a lot by its intro scene. That glowy moonlit river was a nice change of pace after Vizima and those caverns Salamandra was hiding in.

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

I really liked that they included a remix of a song from the Witcher 1 in the E3 trailer for Witcher 3.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SIuh8F_RROg&t=101s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XpcjUkG2FI4&t=40s

Hopefully this means they're going to use more music from Witcher 1 as inspiration.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
That first theme is present as a leitmotif (I think I'm using that word right) in the Witcher 2's soundtrack as well. It seems to basically be Geralt's theme.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

I don't see this aspect of the games brought up to often...so i'm gonna. Is anyone else stoked as gently caress to finally have a trilogy of games that will be all that and more that Mass Effect promised to be? I mean, the Witcher series was never announced as a planned trilogy, but the direction CDPR is taking is going to mean that each game will greatly expand on elements hinted at in the previous, making it seem almost intentional. I'm rock hard for Witcher 3 because of the promise of beginning an open world game not in a vacuum, but with a character who i've guided through over a 100 hours of game in W1 and W2, making his journey to the end as impactful, hopefully, as the first time I beat Throne Of Bhaal with my original Baldur's Gate character.

I'm reading/re-reading all the novels now so I can soak in all the story before W3 comes out, and I can't possibly be more excited.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
If you mean choice and consequences carrying between games? I expect it to be about the same as Mass Effect in that regard. Which is still impressive considering that wasn't their original aim, unlike Mass Effect which was allegedly always supposed to be a trilogy?

In every other feature though yeah, I agree.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

The Sharmat posted:

If you mean choice and consequences carrying between games? I expect it to be about the same as Mass Effect in that regard. Which is still impressive considering that wasn't their original aim, unlike Mass Effect which was allegedly always supposed to be a trilogy?

Yea, that's what i'm referring to, the C&C. It's not that huge, but it's enough to make you feel that Geralt is your own version of him in each game, with choices mattering to a degree in the previous game. I'm pumped!

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

The Sharmat posted:

I wouldn't say the important thing is "choice and consequences" - after all, that sort of thing didn't play a large role in Witcher 2. More significantly, Witcher is populated with fully developed characters who don't need the player to be established, and who can be transfered from one game to another and create a sense of continuity and substance that was simpl missing from Mass Effect in which even Shepard was a bland jelly mold of a person. Consequently, the game can have a proper, coherent story arc - unlike Bioware's recent endeavors.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

steinrokkan posted:

I wouldn't say the important thing is "choice and consequences" - after all, that sort of thing didn't play a large role in Witcher 2.

That was my point. However it was what was hyped so much about Mass Effect, so I thought that might have been what was meant by that post.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

The Sharmat posted:

That was my point. However it was what was hyped so much about Mass Effect, so I thought that might have been what was meant by that post.

That's perhaps a better way of putting it. It's not so much that the choices and consequences impact the games as much, it's that they are actually present. It was hyped in Mass Effect to dissapointing impact in the end whereas The Witcher, without promise of a trilogy, has from the get-go kept a very high standard of storytelling, and is actually going to close an overall story arch starting with the first game, and even the books. It seems much less like they made it up as they went along, even though for the most part they probably did. That being said, Mass Effect is still my second favorite game series behind Witcher, so my intent isn't to knock the game so much as point out that THIS trilogy is going to have the impact, I believe, that Mass Effect should have.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

Ludwig van Halen posted:

I really liked that they included a remix of a song from the Witcher 1 in the E3 trailer for Witcher 3.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SIuh8F_RROg&t=101s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XpcjUkG2FI4&t=40s

Hopefully this means they're going to use more music from Witcher 1 as inspiration.

The Sharmat posted:

That first theme is present as a leitmotif (I think I'm using that word right) in the Witcher 2's soundtrack as well. It seems to basically be Geralt's theme.

Yeah it's basically the theme song of The Witcher (and Geralt specifically), it's all over the place in The Witcher 2 as well.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

So, awesome stroke of luck tonight! I was thinking to myself, "Man, I hope W3 has a collector's edition, because I missed out on the CE for Witcher 2." Then I figured i'd just check Amazon to see if they happened to have a CE of W2, and what ridiculous price it would be. They had 2 left, for 67 bucks! Down from the original $100. I ordered that poo poo, and there is still one left at this moment if anyone else is interested.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

So Saskia is actually a Big loving Dragon, apparently. Is is it a curse or can dragons shapeshift at will? Or only into a human form? Why aren't there more dragons? :psyduck:

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

DOOP posted:

So Saskia is actually a Big loving Dragon, apparently. Is is it a curse or can dragons shapeshift at will? Or only into a human form? Why aren't there more dragons? :psyduck:

If I remember correctly, she explains further during the scene where you find out: She's a golden dragon. Golden dragons have the ability to shapeshift.

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed

DOOP posted:

Saskia's father was a golden dragon, who have the ability to shapeshift into anything. As her mother was only a green dragon she thus inherited a limited version of this power and can only take on a single human form. Geralt and Yennefer have a history with her father as they once helped him repel a dragon hunting party, protecting the newborn Saskia in the process. Dragons have been hunted to near extinction in the Witcher universe and golden dragons are so rare that Geralt thought they were only a myth until he actually met one.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
Yep. It's a book reference. Her father's a total bro too. Him "jousting" with those mercs was vaguely hilarious. Though how old does this make Saskia (Her real name is Saesenthessis by the way)? Like, 12?

Leb
Jan 15, 2004

Change came to America on November the 4th, 2008, in the form of an unassuming Senator from the state of Illinois.
So... speaking of books, has anyone gotten their hands onto a hard copy of Time of Contempt yet? The blasted Kindle version isn't available till August, sadly.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Leb posted:

So... speaking of books, has anyone gotten their hands onto a hard copy of Time of Contempt yet? The blasted Kindle version isn't available till August, sadly.

I haven't, but if you've looked in the community forum on the official site, you'll see fan translations of all the books as yet unreleased in English. I've read the official Last Wish and Blood of Elves, and also the unofficial Sword of Destiny on their site, and from what I can tell the translations are very solid and enjoyable. I've uploaded them all to my Kindle Fire to read before W3 destroys my life.

ghost bones
Apr 27, 2013

everyone is fabulous always
I just finished The Last Wish, so it was kind of cool to start my Dark run after picking the game back up for the first time since beating it at launch and right at the beginning you run into Tailles briefly with the scar on his face and all. I had no idea there were subtle references to the books like that and definitely want to check out Blood of Elves now to see what other things I might be missing.

They're not great fantasy by any means, but they're fun enough to read and definitely enhance the game experience.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

chaosapiant posted:

I haven't, but if you've looked in the community forum on the official site, you'll see fan translations of all the books as yet unreleased in English. I've read the official Last Wish and Blood of Elves, and also the unofficial Sword of Destiny on their site, and from what I can tell the translations are very solid and enjoyable. I've uploaded them all to my Kindle Fire to read before W3 destroys my life.
Time of Contempt is the first of the translations that's actually rather subpar.

Leb
Jan 15, 2004

chaosapiant posted:

Yeah, I was pretty excited about that prospect after finishing SoD (which was surprisingly well translated), but ToC is an entirely different story. I can tolerate mistranslations to a point, but when you're routinely running into nonsensical prose that leaves you guessing as to what the translator was even trying to convey...

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Leb posted:

Yeah, I was pretty excited about that prospect after finishing SoD (which was surprisingly well translated), but ToC is an entirely different story. I can tolerate mistranslations to a point, but when you're routinely running into nonsensical prose that leaves you guessing as to what the translator was even trying to convey...

drat, i'm just about to start that book also. Is that the only one poorly translated? If so i'll buy the paperback and then read the rest of the translations. Otherwise, i'll just grit and bear it so I at least understand all the back story. Hopefully with the buzz of Game of Thrones and Witcher 3, the publishers see fit to finally release all of the drat books within a reasonable amount of time. As it is, I had to read Blood of Elves twice to remember what even happened.

And yea, the books really enhance the game experience. There are tons of subtle and not so subtle nods to the books and references that when reading them I can picture the characters from the games right in the story. They also reference Geralt's voice a lot, and I can totally picture Doug Cockle (or even the Polish whoever) delivering exactly the kind of dialogue in the books as he does in the game. It will also be neat to hopefully get some closure on Ciri, since she's the main character in the books it seems, and Alvin was basically Ciri 2.0.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
Yeah, Witcher 1 was like a microcosm of the entire book series, only with Alvin instead of Ciri, and Triss instead of Yennifer.

...hopefully that's not foreshadowing that Ciri turns insane or something.

I still think it's weird that a book series called "The Witcher" doesn't use the Witcher as a main character.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

So I started reading the Times of Contempt fan translation. It's...serviceable so far? But that publisher seriously needs to get its poo poo together and finish all of these drat books already. It's hard going from a book that actually has a sense of flow to it (Blood of Elves) to its fan translated sequel that has epic lines such as "applegat rode his horse down a hill. There was some trees and a ditch. He rode through that." I'm paraphrasing of course...but that's kinda what i'm seeing everywhere. Hopefully the story gets so good that I can begin to ignore the translation quality.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
I've finished the last book tonight, we all know how it ends of course from the games. Still, that was quite a ride. Every book gets longer, I think it started at around 300 pages and the last one had 643. I'm very curious how they're gonna sell Yennefer to the players who haven't read the books in the third game. Anyways, in the later books the story jumps around from viewpoint to viewpoint quite a lot, get used to that.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

FrickenMoron posted:

I've finished the last book tonight, we all know how it ends of course from the games. Still, that was quite a ride. Every book gets longer, I think it started at around 300 pages and the last one had 643. I'm very curious how they're gonna sell Yennefer to the players who haven't read the books in the third game. Anyways, in the later books the story jumps around from viewpoint to viewpoint quite a lot, get used to that.

Is it worse than the first book, or anything from Song of Ice and Fire? Both jump around quite a bit. Did you read the translations, or the real deal in another language than English?

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

chaosapiant posted:

So I started reading the Times of Contempt fan translation. It's...serviceable so far? But that publisher seriously needs to get its poo poo together and finish all of these drat books already. It's hard going from a book that actually has a sense of flow to it (Blood of Elves) to its fan translated sequel that has epic lines such as "applegat rode his horse down a hill. There was some trees and a ditch. He rode through that." I'm paraphrasing of course...but that's kinda what i'm seeing everywhere. Hopefully the story gets so good that I can begin to ignore the translation quality.

Did you read the second book that only exists in fan-translate form? Because Sword of Destiny is actually translated fairly well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

The Sharmat posted:

Did you read the second book that only exists in fan-translate form? Because Sword of Destiny is actually translated fairly well.

Yea, I'd read that one already, and I agree the translation is solid, which is why i'm a bit dissapointed with ToC. Still, if it's all we English speaking folk have, i'll read it.

• Locked thread