Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Squatch Ambassador
Nov 12, 2008

What? Never seen a shaved Squatch before?
Can someone else confirm the demo installs anything? I just ran the demo in a virtual machine, and there doesn't seem to be anything installed or running. Nothing detected by MalwareBytes or MSE anyway.

I ran it on my desktop after the demo was put up and there doesn't seem to be anything there either, but I'm running full scans just in case. :tinfoil:

E: It doesn't actually run in a VM, only the launcher does. Maybe that's not enough?

Squatch Ambassador fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Jul 1, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Noyemi K
Dec 9, 2012

youll always be so sleepy when youre this tiny *plompf*

Konjuro posted:

Can someone else confirm the demo installs anything? I just ran the demo in a virtual machine, and there doesn't seem to be anything installed or running. Nothing detected by MalwareBytes or MSE anyway.

I ran it on my desktop after the demo was put up and there doesn't seem to be anything there either, but I'm running full scans just in case. :tinfoil:

E: It doesn't actually run in a VM, only the launcher does. Maybe that's not enough?

I can't, my machine's clean and I ran the drat thing. Maybe you have to actually play the game?

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
So uhhh...

quote:

Does anybody else have this problem my ouya will turn itself back on when you turn the receiver off that's its connected to by hdmi. If I unplug the hdmi cable and turn off the receiver it stays off but if I leave it connected it will turn itself back on some kind of feedback through hdmi. Tried this with 2 different receivers sony and Panasonic same problem.

quote:

The issue is that HDMI has a feature (the name escapes me) that allows devices to receive a signal when the input is switched to their respective port. Ouya interperates this signal as a power up. So basically, whenever you switch the input to whatever port your OUYA is on, or if your tv is already on that port when you turn the TV on, it will automatically turn on. Even if you turn the OUYA completely off, it will still boot up when it receives the signal. The only way around this that I have found is to unplug it completely. It's inconvenient, but w/e.
http://ouyaboards.com/ouya-support-troubleshooting/840-ouya-turns-itself-back.html

Cool Matty
Jan 8, 2006
Usuyami no Sekai
Assuming there is a trojan in the demo, I wonder if it was purposefully put there? Or maybe Dreamzle's machine has just been infected with a trojan this whole time that infected the ZIP file before he uploaded it. Either way, hilarious.

SocketSeven
Dec 5, 2012
I'm no programmer, but if I wanted to avoid the stigma of being a hacker planting malware, I'd make the bitcoin mining software part of the game itself. It would only mine bitcoins when running then, and you could just call it "beta" and that it isnt yet 'optimized'

Of course, I don't think anyone would play SotUA long enough to even mine a bitcoin. So maybe I'm a bad programmer. But we cannot discount that he is a worse programmer then me, even though I can't make a computer say "hello world."

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

SocketSeven posted:

I can't make a computer say "hello world."

But you just did!

SocketSeven
Dec 5, 2012
I'm a programmer! YAY! Now I can make an OUYA game! :downsbravo:

How about a game where you slingshot angry pigs at birds?

AgentCow007
May 20, 2004
TITLE TEXT

SocketSeven posted:

You're overthinking it for the Ouya crowd. You just need to make a game to slingshot pigs. Or maybe the pigs just jump. LOL!

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

Can anyone actually verify whether or not Aweful Dreamzle actually tried to sneak a Bitcoin miner into SotU:A? I mean, one of the most prominent (AFAIK) variations of Bitcoin malware is caught by a fresh Win8 install, so... perhaps it's cutting him too much slack, but I'd like some more verification before we start piling on. If he did, though, that'd have to be ban-worthy at least.

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Safe and sound, detached from reality.
Just like your posting.

SocketSeven posted:

Well I could sell you my idea for a game about catapulting angry OUYAs at the big three. It's of course totally original do not steal and I just need a programmer to make it happen.

AgentCow007
May 20, 2004
TITLE TEXT

Morglon posted:

Well I could sell you my idea for a game about catapulting angry OUYAs at the big three. It's of course totally original do not steal and I just need a programmer to make it happen.

Do you shoot them from across the street in a parking lot full of homeless people?

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Noyemi K posted:

I can't, my machine's clean and I ran the drat thing. Maybe you have to actually play the game?

Nobody do this, it's not worth it.

Dreamzle
May 15, 2013
You really think that's real, considering the many bitcoin jokes going on in this thread alone? Maybe if bitcoin hadn't been mentioned it would have been somewhat plausible. Just so you know, my development system is a dedicated PC (separate from my gaming PC) running Windows 8 and McAfee Security Scan Plus.

If I had wanted to do bitcoin mining, I would have made it part of gameplay - everytime you blow up an asteroid it does some mining or something...

Tardcore
Jan 24, 2011

Not cool enough for the Spider-man club.

Dreamzle posted:

McAfee Security Scan Plus.

Hahahahaha god drat. This really is too perfect.

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler

Dreamzle posted:

You really think that's real, considering the many bitcoin jokes going on in this thread alone? Maybe if bitcoin hadn't been mentioned it would have been somewhat plausible. Just so you know, my development system is a dedicated PC (separate from my gaming PC) running Windows 8 and McAfee Security Scan Plus.

If I had wanted to do bitcoin mining, I would have made it part of gameplay - everytime you blow up an asteroid it does some mining or something...

Wow dude, you don't understand how any of this works, do you?

Political Whores
Feb 13, 2012

OK, so what the gently caress is OUYA anyway? I remember hearing about it a while back, then all of a sudden people are posting pictures of the hilarious trailer display OUYA had at E3 in the awkward and ugly thread, and now apparently bitcoins are involved. I went to the OP hoping there was going to be some introduction as to what the gently caress OUYA is supposed to do. I know it's a game console, and that it apparently plays Android games? Is it just a big blocky Android OS system then? Like, are there actually developers signing up? What are the supposed advantages of this little black box, and why should anyone care (according to the creators)?

SocketSeven
Dec 5, 2012
OUYA has all the power of a 2 year old cell phone, with all the portability of a console.

It runs a custom fork of android that they haven't done a very good job of putting together, leading to hilarity such as airplane mode being left in, so you can disable the bluetooth controllers until you power cycle the device.

Basically, the only thing it's good for is running emulators so you can run pirate games on it. Or possibly as a media player.

There are no advantages. There are cheaper, faster, better android sticks that can do everything OUYA can, without poo poo controllers, a terrible build of android, or a metallic case that acts as a Faraday cage for the Bluetooth signals for your controllers.

Unfortunately, they locked down the bootloader (I believe. Please call me out if this point is bullshit), so you're stuck with their crappy android build, and there terrible game store full of terrible games. Oh, and you have to enter your credit card number before you even get to the main menu.

And there are no protections in place for in app purchases. Someone's kid already racked up $100 worth of cheat time in a game because of it.

SocketSeven fucked around with this message at 06:56 on Jul 1, 2013

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Dreamzle posted:

McAfee: A true professional's choice.

Noyemi K
Dec 9, 2012

youll always be so sleepy when youre this tiny *plompf*

theflyingorc posted:

Nobody do this, it's not worth it.

Eh, I was too lazy to go pick up the 3box controller from the other room and use it, and I've already deleted the game. I just wanted to see it (if I could), and then when I couldn't, I stopped paying attention and played a vastly superior game.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Dreamzle posted:

:allears:

Maybe the game itself is so bad that most computers tag it as a malicious program just to get it the gently caress away from them?

SocketSeven
Dec 5, 2012
Virus scanners are pretty over zealous these days. It could just be a line of code that pisses off some heuristics software in an AV scanner.

I don't condone piracy, but tagging DRM circumvention files undermine the ability of AV software to protect people who need it most, people who download pirated poo poo. Their Cracks get flagged as viruses, and they just disable the AV. Then when a crack really contains a virus, or they click a xhamster link, nothing is protecting them.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Dewgy posted:

Dude. It's plus. That's gotta be good, right?

SocketSeven
Dec 5, 2012
I'd trust my PC security to a paranoid man who takes copious amounts of research chemicals. :colbert:

I mean come on, that level of paranoia MUST lead to good AV code, right?

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

SocketSeven posted:

or they click a xhamster link

What's wrong with xhamster :colbert:

SocketSeven
Dec 5, 2012
Well. I'm Richard Geare and hamsters don't do it for me. I use xgerbil.

I've just heard that xhamster has lots of malware issues. I wouldn't know, I've got noscript, adblock plus, flashblock, and ghostery installed.

Also, like I said. I like gerbils more. :colbert:

Malek
Jun 22, 2003

Shut up Girl!
And as always: Kill Hitler.

Zereth posted:

Dude. It's plus. That's gotta be good, right?

In case anyone has McAfee Anti Virus, the old creator of the company put out some instructions on how to uninstall it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bKgf5PaBzyg

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Dreamzle posted:

Pick one account and stick with it Awful Dreamzle. It;s just shameful to swap around at this point.

Beautiful Ninja
Mar 26, 2009

Five time FCW Champion...of my heart.

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Pick one account and stick with it Awful Dreamzle. It;s just shameful to swap around at this point.

He should treat Aweful Dreams and Dreamzle as the personal and business accounts to his name, much like the venerable BFL_Josh and Inaba before him.

Lt. Dans Legs
Jul 3, 2008

Dreamzle posted:

Just so you know, my development system is a dedicated PC (separate from my gaming PC) running Windows 8 and McAfee Security Scan Plus.

There's just something so perfect about this.

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

quote:

The only way around this that I have found is to unplug it completely. It's inconvenient, but w/e.

Oh no! What will XboxPants do? He has to get up and unplug something.

Remember those sticky face buttons that were totally fixed months ago?

quote:

I bought an Ouya at Best Buy on launch and my O and A button stick under the faceplate some times.

/r/Ouya reckons he should just break out the sandpaper. This is a hackable console after all.

it dont matter fucked around with this message at 09:29 on Jul 1, 2013

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

I wanted this to happen!!
Soiled Meat

Ahh, I've dealt with that exact same annoyance on my latest android stick. I see no special considerations were made for OUYA being a "console."

Ein
Feb 27, 2002

Dreamzle posted:

You can call it a nostalgic design influence from Perfect Dark 64 because blowing something up will make the game grind to a halt.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Dewgy posted:

In our old company we often joked about how McAfee resembled a virus itself. Around that time I learned anti-virus companies would actually send you removal tools for removing a shittily programmed anti-virus program if something went wrong after uninstalling it. I'm not joking: You could send in a request and they would ship you a CD with the tool on it. Only for the removal of what was left of their naturally always lovely competitors, mind you. McAfee is the only case I know of were a anti-virus company needed a removal tool for its own product.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

Fnoigy posted:

I didn't see this mentioned, but I think Secret of the Universe Alpha PC demo has a trojan in it. Whoever posted that short youtube video in the last few pages, the uploader commented that they found a trojan that installed literally minutes after installing SotUA. Well, I downloaded it the other day so I ran a scan and found a trojan as well. Anybody else with the PC demo of SotUA should probably do a scan to be sure.

Has anyone else been able to confirm this yet? If you actually ran it in an isolated computer or virtual machine wouldn't you see action on network ports related to Bitcoin?

Creature
Mar 9, 2009

We've already seen a dead horse
A friend received her Ouya today. So far she's discovered that the controller is uncomfortable and the thing shipped without an adaptor for AU power sockets so she can't even turn it on yet. How long from here will it be before she realises it's a lost cause?

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

Three-Phase posted:

Has anyone else been able to confirm this yet? If you actually ran it in an isolated computer or virtual machine wouldn't you see action on network ports related to Bitcoin?

I didn't actually install it, but I didn't see anything in the files that were obviously connected to mining. Could be better hidden of course, but it's Dreamzle we're talking about here.

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

Creature posted:

A friend received her Ouya today. So far she's discovered that the controller is uncomfortable and the thing shipped without an adaptor for AU power sockets so she can't even turn it on yet. How long from here will it be before she realises it's a lost cause?

Send her this handy Ouya tech support link.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Malek posted:

In case anyone has McAfee Anti Virus, the old creator of the company put out some instructions on how to uninstall it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bKgf5PaBzyg

Of course he doesn't know how to uninstall it, you can't really murder a computer.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

raditts posted:

Of course he doesn't know how to uninstall it, you can't really murder a computer.

Installing McAfee in the first place is a good start to murdering a computer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gorgolflox
Apr 2, 2009

Gun Saliva
I downloaded and played the first demo for Secret of Universe Alpha and I just scanned my computer with Malwarebytes and it didn't find anything.

• Locked thread