Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Necros
Jul 23, 2003

I have no idea what they're saying, but that poo poo got me noddin' my head like a retard. Nice RUN-DMC impressions in the video heh.

This is a pretty great show. Never ever listened to a podcast before. I'm definitely gonna turn a couple people outside of the forums on to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

We go play orbital catch around the curvature of the earth, son.
I enjoy night vale a lot - Is there any other literary fiction oriented podcasts worth listening to? I'm so used to talk shows and comedy improv this and thats that I feel like I want to hear some cool dramas, plays, short stories, etc.

Edit: Don't derail this wonderful thread by replying to me here - send me a forum PM instead. Thanks! ;)

Spacedad fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Jul 2, 2013

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Just posting to say I saw this thread and just went on a10 episode binge. Great stuff, and the only other podcast I've ever liked I'd penny arcade's DnD one.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.
So are we going to get some hard nosed campaign coverage of the race for mayor between Hiram McDaniels and the Faceless Old Woman?

I'd love to hear Cecil burnish his Serious Journalist credentials and moderate a debate. Pulitzer committee? Are you listening to this? (Do they give out Pulitzers for radio journalism?)

De Nomolos
Jan 17, 2007

TV rots your brain like it's crack cocaine
Just listened to the Pilot. Now listening to the latest one. Would other listeners recommend listening to them chronologically?

Insanity Prawn
Jul 17, 2007
Hooray for moon jesus!

De Nomolos posted:

Just listened to the Pilot. Now listening to the latest one. Would other listeners recommend listening to them chronologically?

There is some continuity between episodes, so it wouldn't hurt.

Roach Warehouse
Nov 1, 2010

De Nomolos posted:

Definitely.
Also you might be disappointed if you listen to 25 immediately after 1, since it contains a lot of 1 year anniversary callbacks.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
This one is great. I was listening to The Man in the Tan Jacket last night and the old woman gets a throwaway mention. Never thought she'd get her own episode.

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

if you start with drums, you have to end with dynamite.

CaptainPsyko posted:

So are we going to get some hard nosed campaign coverage of the race for mayor between Hiram McDaniels and the Faceless Old Woman?

I'd love to hear Cecil burnish his Serious Journalist credentials and moderate a debate. Pulitzer committee? Are you listening to this? (Do they give out Pulitzers for radio journalism?)

There are plans. They might involve a live recorded debate in front of a real audience. Who knows?

This certainly will not be the last we hear from Mara's Faceless Old Woman.

Also there's another special guest star coming later in the summer. I can't say who she is yet, but she's a main cast member on a relatively recent and well-liked sci-fi show.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

maxnmona posted:

There are plans. They might involve a live recorded debate in front of a real audience. Who knows?

I don't ask for much that isn't an update on John Peters Youknowthefarmer but I'm asking you to please make this a reality.

Speaking of John Peters, I like that he's literally the only farmer in Night Vale. It makes that stupid joke twice as funny.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Dickeye posted:

I don't ask for much that isn't an update on John Peters Youknowthefarmer but I'm asking you to please make this a reality.

Speaking of John Peters, I like that he's literally the only farmer in Night Vale. It makes that stupid joke twice as funny.

Well, it is quite a small town. In a desert.

De Nomolos
Jan 17, 2007

TV rots your brain like it's crack cocaine
On Episode 3 now. If I could manage it at work, I'd be much further along.

"The only pizza restaurant not burned down in an insolvent arson case...it is a misdemeanor not to eat there!"

Can anyone recommend more podcasts like this?

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

De Nomolos posted:

On Episode 3 now. If I could manage it at work, I'd be much further along.

"The only pizza restaurant not burned down in an insolvent arson case...it is a misdemeanor not to eat there!"

Can anyone recommend more podcasts like this?

This question comes up a lot and the answer is that there really isn't anything. The closest thing out there might be the Best Show Gems, insofar as Scharpling and Wurster have created a world unto itself in the city of Newbridge, NJ, with it's own politics, culture, landscape, in jokes, and history. But the tone is dramatically different (no creepiness, much more absurd, a lot of punk rock/indie comedy/Best Show in jokes). If you go a little ways back into the Gems archives (about 6 months ago IIRC), you'll find the Newbridge Mayubernatorial Debate, which features like 12 Wurster characters and is easily one of the best things the Best Show has ever done, and a decent-ish introduction to what that portion of The Best Show is all about.

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

I would recommend Getting On with James Urbaniak, and Neil Hamburger's New Years Eve. Neither are exactly what we're doing, but they're both doing something very weird and very good with podcasting.

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

We go play orbital catch around the curvature of the earth, son.

maxnmona posted:

I would recommend Getting On with James Urbaniak, and Neil Hamburger's New Years Eve. Neither are exactly what we're doing, but they're both doing something very weird and very good with podcasting.

Well in any case, your stuff has whet my appetite for other fiction podcasts. I'm going to be looking into that more - I already know there's a few radio play type things. It will be interesting to see if radio dramas come back into vogue in America again thanks to podcasting. (Radio drama plays are still big in a lot of other countries, especially the UK - they almost completely died in the US though.)

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Ariong posted:

Well, it is quite a small town. In a desert.

I know, but until like last night I just assumed he was a farmer, and not literally the farmer, until some comment about "the farmer and some other people" made it all click and now I giggle twice as hard.

ChibiSoma
Apr 13, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
The weird atmosphere hooked me, but the thing that surprised me most about the show is the music. Gotten into a couple of the folks featured during the Weather. Jason Webley's great. He's like what you'd get if Tom Waits and Al Yankovic merged. Relistening to some of the newer episodes and the song from Dengue Fever in 21 is pretty amazing. Also, look at those guys! I'm assuming the gentleman second from the right is the drummer and he plays it exclusively with his beard.

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

As of this morning we are in the top 5 in Comedy and at 13 in overall podcasts, beating The Moth and Planet Money. Jesus.

Necros
Jul 23, 2003

You're sitting at 4th in Comedy right now, sandwiched between Joe Rogan and Adam Carolla. :banjo:

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

I hope maxnmona does not mind this brief hijack - I have just posted two new Disparition albums so you should check them out if you like Disparition music!

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3557723

and I look forward to Night Vale's brutal defeat and utter destruction of Adam Carolla

Republican Vampire
Jun 2, 2007

maxnmona posted:

As of this morning we are in the top 5 in Comedy and at 13 in overall podcasts, beating The Moth and Planet Money. Jesus.

Well to be fair, Night Vale is a better fake news program than Planet Money.

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY

maxnmona posted:

I'm so ready for Welcome to Night Vale to be a THING.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.
It's now #2 in Comedy.

Michael Ian Black, be afraid. Be very, very afraid.

Necros
Jul 23, 2003

DOWN GOES ROGAN

THEY'RE INTO THE GUARD NOW AND OH CECIL LOCKS IN THE KIMURA
:v:

immortalyawn
May 28, 2013

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

immortalyawn fucked around with this message at 08:01 on Mar 31, 2019

Republican Vampire
Jun 2, 2007

CaptainPsyko posted:

It's now #2 in Comedy.

Michael Ian Black, be afraid. Be very, very afraid.

To be fair, it's kind of erratic as new people try it out and stuff. It's all up-and-down. It'll take a few days to find a solid place.

Seriously though as long as those right-wing lying pricks at Planet Money get left in the dust it's p. rad.

ChibiSoma
Apr 13, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
So we've got new pizza place in town called Marco's. The TV Guide Channel plays local sports games from time to time, and the announcers for the game always plug Marco's Pizza. And every damned time they do I think of Big Rico's. It's the same type of ad that Cecil did in episode 3! Kind of strangely-worded and overly enthusiastic, that kinda thing.

Thinking about calling up and asking what kind of authentic toppings they have.

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

As of this morning

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.
Also number 11 overall!

Just need to knock off Alton Brown to crack the top 10. His fondness for wheat and wheat by-products will surely be his undoing.

Orb Crabmelt
Jan 16, 2011

Nyorp.
Clapping Larry
I wonder if Alton Brown might know how to fashion a traditional soft-meats crown. Or if he knows what one is. I certainly don't.

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY
Crossover. I think a cooking segment with Alton would fit perfectly into Night Vale.

Congrats, congrats. The little show that could. No annoying celebrities "riffing" for three hours, just pure creativity and hard work delivered twice a month. You guys are innovators, you understand that, right? You might be informing a new trend in podcasting. Pretty Neato.

BooDoug187
Apr 8, 2005

Don't you fear the yetis in Rio?

Conrad_Birdie posted:

Crossover. I think a cooking segment with Alton would fit perfectly into Night Vale.

It would be like 4 seconds, he says wheat and boom, off the air, darted by sheriff's secret police!

dj_clawson
Jan 12, 2004

We are all sinners in the eyes of these popsicle sticks.
This is incredible. Also, is there a wiki for this poo poo yet? It's just begging for a wiki.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

dj_clawson posted:

This is incredible. Also, is there a wiki for this poo poo yet? It's just begging for a wiki.

http://nightvale.wikia.com/wiki/Welcome_to_Night_Vale_Wiki

There's not much there at the moment.

Dimloep
Nov 5, 2011
Oh please let the title of the next episode mean what I want it to mean :allears:

NeuroticLich
Oct 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Man, I have no idea what's wrong with me. I've had this thread bookmarked for a few months and only got around to listening to it last week. Absolutely love it, it saved me during several three hour drives over the weekend, and I've listened to it every chance I get. Gonna have to mark the 1st and 15th of every month as holidays from now on I suppose.

Suggested it to my dad and some friends over the last couple of days. So far everyone that's listened to it has loved it!

Are there any plans for more Night Vale themed stuff outside of the bimonthly podcast updates? Books, short stories, mysterious hooded figure meet and greets... You know, those sorts of things?

dj_clawson
Jan 12, 2004

We are all sinners in the eyes of these popsicle sticks.

Excellent! Or it will be.

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

NeuroticLich posted:

Man, I have no idea what's wrong with me. I've had this thread bookmarked for a few months and only got around to listening to it last week. Absolutely love it, it saved me during several three hour drives over the weekend, and I've listened to it every chance I get. Gonna have to mark the 1st and 15th of every month as holidays from now on I suppose.

Suggested it to my dad and some friends over the last couple of days. So far everyone that's listened to it has loved it!

Are there any plans for more Night Vale themed stuff outside of the bimonthly podcast updates? Books, short stories, mysterious hooded figure meet and greets... You know, those sorts of things?

We are currently working on a Night Vale companion book, with the first year of scripts with behind the scenes annotations, original Night Vale short stories, and Night Vale art.

We're also planning a big live episode in NYC in the fall, but the details of that are still being shaped up.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Desert Bluffs and their hideous podcast lose again!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Oh hey the thread's here and not RGD, that's why I never noticed it!

You guys are amazing, I've been listening since the Sandstorm episodes and still love going back through the shows, I'm super happy to see such a weird and unique podcast get love.