Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wolfsbane
Jul 29, 2009

What time is it, Eccles?

baka kaba posted:

Once again Plucky George throws himself into tackling a seemingly insurmountable problem with a look of determination and self-sacrifice. Here we also see DEBT represented as fast food, which is what poor people eat you see, and implies that DEBT is purely the result of excess and gluttony. Gideon is making the economy lean and healthy, by cutting all those services and welfare systems people rely on. See how he suffers for our benefit?

I mean it's the Torygraph so it's pretty much expected, but he's still a poo poo

Also note that, while he's doing the right thing (cutting anything and everything), he's not doing it remotely hard enough.

gently caress the Telegraph.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
Debt, while upsetting to consider deeply, is necessary to the life of the nation and George Osbourne is starving himself and the economy out of personal squeamishness. AGC.

goatface posted:

They should 'ang 'im, like we woulda in the good old days.

I have been reliably informed that hanging is too good for them.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Mr. Squishy posted:

Debt, while upsetting to consider deeply, is necessary to the life of the nation and George Osbourne is starving himself and the economy out of personal squeamishness. AGC.

Debt is in no way a problem for a currency-issuing nation (never mind one of the wealthiest and most powerful nations in the world, which is currently able to borrow at incredibly low rates), and even if it were something to worry about, the damage being caused by austerity and cuts is a much bigger problem in every sense, financially or otherwise.

Of course Osborne and his cronies a) do not understand this, or b) don't care and have ideological goals to meet (like starving the beast, putting public assets into private hands and kicking the poors back in their place), whatever mix of the two you like. And Adams is fully backing their propaganda - everything the Tories are doing is totally not their fault everyone, they want the best for everyone and they're trying so hard with the hand they've been dealt!

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

And what did I say?

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
Guardian:

"Steve Bell on Osborne and Alexander's spending review – George Osborne and Danny Alexander today announced the government's latest round of public spending cuts"

Telegraph:

Wimbledon 2013: Why have there been so many injuries?

Independent:

Yesterday's Daily Mail:

"The Government is going to stop the winter fuel allowance for ex-pats who live in hot countries."

quote:

“If he thinks things are bad now wait till he hears about his winter fuel allowance.”

Daily Mail:

"Government is going to spend millions on a new rail link (HS2) and on exploration of shale gas."

quote:

“Great news, Folks. Not only is the new HS2 rail link coming through here, we’ve found shale glass under your house.”

Express:

Now I want a bird kebab. :munch:

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

EULER'VE TO SEE IT VENN SOMEONE CALLS IT THE WRONG THING AND PROVOKES MY WRATH
Osborne wants to cut public services like a donner kebab? I don't really get the "posh burger" reference?

Everything is better with garlic sauce I suppose though...

Edit: Nice fox tattoo, but a missed foxtail gag with the kebab meat imo

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Lord of the Llamas posted:

Osborne wants to cut public services like a donner kebab? I don't really get the "posh burger" reference?

Everything is better with garlic sauce I suppose though...

Edit: Nice fox tattoo, but a missed foxtail gag with the kebab meat imo

George Osbourne ate a burger in a photo op made to make him look like a common man. The Burger cost £10.

Somehow this is a bigger news item than "Chancellor takes visceral glee in killing the poor via starvation."

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Mr. Squishy posted:

And what did I say?

You said debt is upsetting to consider deeply - I disagree, it's a manufactured panic, which is why we're constantly bombarded with specious analogies about household debt and 'spending beyond our means', specifically to distract people from looking too closely.

Like you said, it's how nations operate, it's an accounting procedure. Framing it as a problem is the core of how they're managing to pull off this massive ideological earth-scorching con. Osborne is in no way going to be personally hurt by this - which probably isn't what you meant, but it's not like he cares about the role of his office. I wouldn't call it squeamishness, more like naked callous opportunism - don't forget he has absolutely no problems borrowing and adding to the national debt on the sly, it just makes for a convenient moral justification while they're gleefully swinging those axes.

I know we're basically on the same page, I just don't want to grant them an inch of justification for the lie they're spinning. It's at the heart of every unopposed blow they're inflicting

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Nice yonic symbolism with that pitta bread.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

baka kaba posted:

You said debt is upsetting to consider deeply - I disagree, it's a manufactured panic, which is why we're constantly bombarded with specious analogies about household debt and 'spending beyond our means', specifically to distract people from looking too closely.

Remember the good old days when the ink was black instead of red.

Stottie Kyek
Apr 26, 2008

fuckin egg in a bun

Cloud Potato posted:

Now I want a bird kebab. :munch:

Either the guy in pink is floating or Osborne's standing in a hole in the floor.

Why's he holding his knife and fork in the wrong hands? That's so non-U. :wotwot:

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Stottie Kyek posted:

Why's he holding his knife and fork in the wrong hands? That's so non-U. :wotwot:

He's not holding them in the wrong hands. Osborne is left handed.

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost
Osborne is unwilling to believe the working class actually speak English, so communicates in one word sentences bellowed at the top of his voice.

YUMMY!

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Mr President, the physical reality of Prime Minister Corbyn is beyond your range of apprehension. If you'll just put on these PINKOVISION glasses...

Jedit posted:

He's not holding them in the wrong hands. Osborne is left handed.
So am I and he's still doing it wrong. (If anything the conventional style of eating seems better suited to lefties imo. Generally the people who get it wrong are righties or Americans.)

Party Boat posted:

Nice yonic symbolism with that pitta bread.
And flaccid slice of meat. Oh god, cannot unsee.

quote:

“Great news, Folks. Not only is the new HS2 rail link coming through here, we’ve found shale glass under your house.”
Was that typo actually in the Mail?

Edit:

quote:

Osborne is unwilling to believe the working class actually speak English, so communicates in one word sentences bellowed at the top of his voice.

YUMMY!

At least I can believe he actually ate that burger.

Kegluneq fucked around with this message at 10:44 on Jun 28, 2013

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"

Kegluneq posted:

Was that typo actually in the Mail?

Yep! See for yourself: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/coffeebreak/cartoons/mac.html

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Mr President, the physical reality of Prime Minister Corbyn is beyond your range of apprehension. If you'll just put on these PINKOVISION glasses...

Professionalism! Also, what ethnicity do we think the lower engineer is supposed to be?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Kegluneq posted:

Professionalism! Also, what ethnicity do we think the lower engineer is supposed to be?
Some kind of Mexican Hispanic. He probably read that they like digging tunnels. He's not minstrel black or wearing a witchdoctor mask, so he's probably not one of mac's 'black folk'.

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
Guardian:

"Martin Rowson on three-person IVF – Mitochondrial transfer procedure could prevent mothers passing on devastating genetic conditions to their children"

Telegraph:

Ofgem warns danger of power shortages has increased.

Independent:

After Goya.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

This week's If...

And, from the If... archives:

Back aboard the armoured punt HMS Indomitable, Mr Kipling continues causing problems for Captain Middletar.

And that is the first appearance of the Penguin. He's been appearing less and less recently, but over the last 30 years (!) he's been the strip's most enduring character. Politicians have come and gone, and the other recurring characters have waxed and waned, but the Penguin has just kept on going.

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
Observer:

Sunday Telegraph:

Independent On Sunday:

Stephen Collins:

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Cloud Potato posted:

Sunday Telegraph:

Damnnnn look how powerful those turbines are, better tap into that!

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

Cloud Potato posted:

Sunday Telegraph:

Making the notes that green really makes them look like dollars.

Cloud Potato posted:

Stephen Collins:

Mods please change my name to Wimblenoob tia.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.

Such an inept watercolourist that he had to do the turbines/money digitally :laugh:

lets go swimming
Sep 6, 2012

EAT THE CHEESE, NICHOLSON!
Guardian:

Mass protests in Cairo demanding the resignation of Mohamed Morsi. From Oztmandias

Telegraph:

Mark Carney has taken over from Mervyn King as Governor of the Bank of England

Independent:

The NSA bugged offices of EU nations (Original report from Der Spiegel)

Today's If...

Nothing new from the Express or Mail today

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
Cheers, onoflalks.

Guardian:

"Steve Bell on News Corp's rebirth - Rupert Murdoch's News Corp is reborn as publishing arm targets smartphones"

Telegraph:

MPs possibly getting a pay raise.

Independent:

Cameron visits Kazakhstan.

Daily Mail:
"The BBC have been censured for paying too much in severance payments to executives."

Express:

Nothing important happened today.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
Kate's looked into the eyes of an elder god and gone mad.

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Gonzo McFee posted:

She's certainly not looking at the television. And what the hell is William sitting on?

ClownSyndrome
Sep 2, 2011

Do you think love can bloom on bob-omb Battlefield?
Can't wait for this baby to actually be born

Then we get years of ROYAL BAYBAY DOES THING cartoons

Stottie Kyek
Apr 26, 2008

fuckin egg in a bun

Gonzo McFee posted:

She's just realised that our political system is such that her role as State Uterus supersedes anything she will ever achieve in her lifetime or anything that sets her apart from any other fertile cis-woman, even when raising the child, and the money and status is a hollow comfort.

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma

That duck is the happiest duck.

hazza
Mar 25, 2005

I couldn't see him, therefore I knew he was there.

ClownSyndrome posted:

ROYAL BABY SHITS PANTS :britain:

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

ClownSyndrome posted:

Judging from the action lines radiating from are kate's belly, it'll be along any time now!

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
Guardian:

"Steve Bell on the ongoing US surveillance row - Barack Obama says the NSA will assess EU espionage allegations as Edward Snowden's asylum options narrow."

Telegraph:

Independent:

Daily Mail:
"At some hospitals NHS consultants are earning £200 per hour at weekends."

Express:

Ugh. I'd rather have another Will 'n' Kate pic.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
I'm fairly sure the regular queen of the scroungers is just called The Queen.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
The terrifying, 10 foot tall queen of scroungers. Scroungezilla.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

big scary monsters posted:

The terrifying, 10 foot tall queen of scroungers. Scroungezilla.

Those are her children because poor people having several children is a shameful thing. Not because she can't provide for them or anything like that. Just that poor people breeding is frowned upon because poor people existing is frowned upon.

Stottie Kyek
Apr 26, 2008

fuckin egg in a bun

Gonzo McFee posted:

I'm fairly sure the regular queen of the scroungers is just called The Queen.

How is he this close to getting it? "The taxpayer had actually bought her a crown!" and he still draws for the most monarchist paper. Maybe he does and it's meant to be a dig at the monarchy phrased in such a way that it got into The Express.

Fluo
May 25, 2007

Stottie Kyek posted:

How is he this close to getting it? "The taxpayer had actually bought her a crown!" and he still draws for the most monarchist paper. Maybe he does and it's meant to be a dig at the monarchy phrased in such a way that it got into The Express.

No he is just really dense, he doesn't have the brain cells to make the connection, he loves the Queen.

By the way I really like Steve Bells cartoon today, first one in a couple of weeks that I think is simple but great, no labels either. :sun:

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Fluo posted:

No he is just really dense, he doesn't have the brain cells to make the connection, he loves the Queen.
He's not alone, though. I've met so many people who're otherwise in favour of an egalitarian society but seem to really love the royal family and are horrified at the idea of abolishing the monarchy, and I just don't understand it at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

big scary monsters posted:

He's not alone, though. I've met so many people who're otherwise in favour of an egalitarian society but seem to really love the royal family and are horrified at the idea of abolishing the monarchy, and I just don't understand it at all.

If there's one thing Britain is rich in, it's tradition.

• Locked thread