Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

cheesetriangles posted:

Ah I just discovered something amazingly useful in my Byzantium game. Whenever I play Byzantium holding onto your counties can be annoying because if you make the Kingdom of Greece odds are it will pass outside yourself at some point due to born in the purple. Having someone else hold the title will usually get bad penalties from whoever holds it desiring control of the duchy/counties. So I made it an elective title which worked for one generation but my new heir wasn't getting enough votes. This really left me in a bind until I realized the person that was getting all the votes I could have excommunicated; then I could imprison them for free and have them castrated so they could no longer hold land. No opinion penalty from any vassals at any point of the way. I think this would be pretty useful for anyone being uppity not just people that get in my way.

Probably another reason against setting up King vassals as Byz, they get their own Patriarch and you can't excom them anymore :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Rurik posted:

Purposefully doing what a medieval ruler would've done. They were just as petty and passionate as all other people. If they had simply calculated everything by cost and effect, the Middle Ages wouldn't had been so chaotic and interesting. There would also be no awesome stories to tell other than the variations of "here's how I became God-Emperor and here's how I kept everyone else down".

Also, what's the point of character traits if not to play according to them? King Knut the Kind should not act in a cruel manner.

What happens when I've bred all the bad character traits out of my lineage? :smug:

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012
Just stumbled across this little gem. Haven't tested it yet but it sounds great.

Also this one. :swoon:

NihilVerumNisiMors fucked around with this message at 11:35 on Jul 1, 2013

Caufman
May 7, 2007

Knuc If U Buck posted:

What happens when I've bred all the bad character traits out of my lineage? :smug:

We are never really punished for our powergaming, we are only ever punished by our powergaming.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Darkrenown posted:

Probably another reason against setting up King vassals as Byz, they get their own Patriarch and you can't excom them anymore :(

I realize now it was probably a bad idea. My Emperor is pretty old so he is revoking and destroying all the kingdoms I handed out. I thought having fewer vassals would make things easier but really it would probably just make things harder. I had forgotten that revoking duchy's was free. I never realized the bit about how they would become part of a different patriarch. Being able to revoke their title at will plus excommunicate anyone I wish is too good to pass up. Plus revoking any vassals those dukes have? Anyone starts getting too strong and it will be trivial to knock them down. I just gotta make sure no one gets too much duchies via war or marriage to start setting up kingdoms again.

Tom Smykowski
Jan 27, 2005

What the hell is wrong with you people?
I saw this mentioned in the thread some odd pages back, something strange just happened in my game as Emperor of Britannia. I have 3 kids, all daughters and all minors. One day I got the notice that my heir switched from my oldest to my middle kid. But I can't figure out why. I haven't touched the laws of the realm or succession, I didn't do anything. Just bam switched my heirs.

Any idea why?

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

Strudel Man posted:

Okay, yes, as trade republics are literally drowning in money, you can assassinate a lot of people when playing one.

I don't pay though, I just plot. Usually you tend to get enough people wanting to help off someone, if all else fails sow dissent/improve relations with the chancellor.

Save money for trade posts and mercenaries.

Lord Windy
Mar 26, 2010
Hey guys, I'm playing around with modding and I was wondering how you could adjust the tech level of a province/republic. One of the republics in the 867 start (can never remember the name, not venice but the A starting one)is kinda boring to play without tech level one in trade posts. I've been able to work out most things, like adding a patrician family and changing the starting buildings but I'll be stuffed if I can work out how to adjust tech level.

Kersch
Aug 22, 2004
I like this internet

NihilVerumNisiMors posted:

Just stumbled across this little gem. Haven't tested it yet but it sounds great.

Also this one. :swoon:

This looks pretty nice, but it really bugs me when people use those satellite images of sea floor depths for the water map. It's kind of useless, for one, and it also always ends up looking like garbage when you zoom in.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Well revoking and destroying every Kingdom level title I handed out went pretty well I think. Only the Kingdom of Jerusalem rebelled. There was an independence faction that formed but I revoked their duchies and suddenly with no vassals they had no troops and the faction fell apart. Anyone that was upset with me enough to join a faction got revoked and I gave the duchy to one of their former vassals that didn't hate me. Pretty much every vassal is at -100 with me due to -320 revoked a title penalty from revoking so many kingdoms. Then destroying them all was another -50 per du jure vassal of that title. They can't do anything about it however because if they get out of line I replace them with someone else.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Darkrenown posted:

I did the 1082 start and have steadfastly refused to set up any of the larger kingdom titles or titles in the central empire (Greece, Serbia etc).

I did wind up with vassal kingdoms of Hungary, Sicily, Croatia and Anatolia, but when the Kings of Hungary and Sicily finally rebelled in what was a pretty impressively brutal civil war, I took the titles and kept them. Having a ridiculous amount of vassal douxes gets a bit difficult at times, though.

Not that having vassal kings isn't useful as someone mentioned before - they do a nice bit of conquering for you. My vassal king of Croatia is also king of Sweden. The king of Anatolia is fighting infidels left and right in Asia.

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012
Man I don't know what happened. The game is awful right now for me. Playing as Brittany, trying to get a piece of Ireland and such, the usual. However, not only are vikings basically trampling all over my stuff (generating game-stopping window messages!), I just had an uprising in Munster that was bigger than half the armies of that drat island. The game feels stupidly volatile in the early start, which isn't that bad as a pagan but it sucks big time as Christian.

e: Not to mention that I had two prepared invasions right at the start. One of them seemed to come from nowhere at all.

NihilVerumNisiMors fucked around with this message at 13:16 on Jul 1, 2013

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Anyone know why I can't destroy the Kingdom of Jerusalem? It says cannot destroy titles under gavelkind succession but it is oldest child gets the title not gavelkind. Not sure what is wrong with it.

Edit: Apparently if you hold ANY gavelkind titles you cannot destroy titles. Bulgaria was gavelkind and I needed to change that as well.

cheesetriangles fucked around with this message at 13:50 on Jul 1, 2013

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Lord Windy posted:

Hey guys, I'm playing around with modding and I was wondering how you could adjust the tech level of a province/republic. One of the republics in the 867 start (can never remember the name, not venice but the A starting one)is kinda boring to play without tech level one in trade posts. I've been able to work out most things, like adding a patrician family and changing the starting buildings but I'll be stuffed if I can work out how to adjust tech level.

Tech levels are not controlled in the history files, but rather in defines.lua, and are defined by entire cultural groupings. There are four: Catholic, Muslim, Byzantine, and Other (for pagans). To adjust the tech levels for the Republics in the 867 start you'll need to adjust the tech levels for all Catholic realms as well.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

I joined the Byzantines as Amalfi so I could expand in peace. It didn't really work when the emperor decided he wanted in on the Sicily conquering action and took the whole island before I could get the troops for it. I'll content myself with the grand city of Rome.

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

Knuc If U Buck posted:

Your awesome ruler gets deposed by his equally awesome brother, because you got caught at killing some dude and got a -10 opinion modifier and he didn't. He then grants independence to half your empire and dies of pneumonia, leaving a 1yr old imbecile on the throne so most of remaining half rebels for independence.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
I just want to say that the "outlaws and criminals are flocking to your enemies banner" event when someone rebels is the stupidest loving thing.

Why yes, I love the enemy getting a stack twice the size of mine out of nowhere.

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

Personally I love the Norse "Dude is gathering an army of adventurers to take your loving Kingdom" event that spawns 30 000 guys INSIDE YOUR KINGDOM.

Oh, arrest him? Dude that would be like, totally tyrannical and non-good man :downs:

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Restoring the Roman empire and then moving your capital to Rome during the old gods start was not a great idea. Rome had level 1 in all tech pretty much. Don't know why anyone cares about that city when it is all uneducated morons.

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

Pimpmust posted:

Personally I love the Norse "Dude is gathering an army of adventurers to take your loving Kingdom" event that spawns 30 000 guys INSIDE YOUR KINGDOM.

Oh, arrest him? Dude that would be like, totally tyrannical and non-good man :downs:

On the other hand, once you beat him you can banish him with no penalty and earn a nice amount of coin, since these dudes always get about 500 gold in addition to their army(unlike the rebels that are only good for blot sacrifice now).

crm
Oct 24, 2004

For those of you who do massive, sprawling empires, what do you do with kingdoms that you can't create? Like the Hungarian empire, I can't seem to Usurp it (as a scandanavian) and I can't create the Holland empire at all, as it was never created.

Any recommendations?

I don't want all these freaking vassals heh

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Sonendar v.1.04.4

Important Changes:

• Compatibility fix for CK2 v.1.103b

• Added special "insanity" event for Cult of the Elders of the Abyss: triggers randomly once in a while and has a chance of giving them either the possessed or lunatic trait
  • Added "Sacrifice" decision for Cult of the Elders of the Abyss, functions only for prisoners of different religion
  • Yuanese rulers with moral authority >80% may now castrate and blind prisoners; Castration and Blinding costs prestige, rather than piety

Highlight:

The "Empire of Sonendar" née The United Counties of Kyte and Pelican Harbor

The people of Kyte and Pelican Harbor were always fiercely independent, staunchly resisting foreign rule for hundreds, if not thousands of years. Jonas Clockwater, 17th Earl of Kyte, went mad shortly after he became a follower of the Elders of the Abyss, after having a vision when perched over a cliff overlooking the ocean one evening. First he declared himself Duke of Kyte and the Various Surrounds, then King of Kyte and Associated Principalities, and in his 75th year, proclaimed himself Emperor of the entire continent of Sonendar. Messenger pigeons were sent throughout the land, entreating all noblemen to bend the knee before their new overlord.

Astonishingly, none of the pigeons ever returned, and to this date, nobody seems to honor the claim.

Someone on the Paradox Forums posted:

Oh, a few people honor it.

I actually held part of Rozha as well but it was stolen by them during the wars between Jonas IV's mother and aunt. Still, the reconquest shall take place at some point soon - their money is vital for securing our power.

DrSunshine fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Jul 1, 2013

El Pollo Blanco
Jun 12, 2013

by sebmojo
There's no chance this guy isn't going to get stabbed before the year is out, right?

Not pictured, the Anglo-Saxon patricians of Mercia ruling the republic of Genoa. The dynasties of what were the petty kingdoms of England are turning up in the weirdest places in this game.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

Pimpmust posted:

Clearly they're running on Fire Emblem rules. Lucky they're not stealing your troops.

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird
Just got the expansion, pillaging is pretty fun.
I've been getting issues with my prisoners, though. More than once I've captured someone's wife and I have been unable to ransom them off because their relationship is too low. That honestly makes me feel kind of bad for them, and I'm not sure if I should take them as a concubine or not. (I already held a Great Blot, sacrificed a preacher or two, so I have to wait another decade to sacrifice them)

The other thing is that I've tried starting a game as the Norse Doge of the Most Enraged Republic of Venice, and it's been pretty fun so far. However, I created a female ruler, and have not been able to get any matrilineal marriages. Any advice?
I'm starting to think I should just restart with a male ruler. In that case I need advice for the best facial hair possible.

I also can't lead my troops in person, but that's not too bad when I have :catholic:Bishop Rodolfo of Rialto's Raiders:black101: sacking the Mediterranean to build my massive Villa. I find it hilarious that a man of the cloth is leading viking raiders, and he kind of hates my guts, but I guess he's :coal: with sacking moonmen.
Is it possible for a Catholic to get the Viking trait?

What's a good way to build up my retinue? Start pagan conquering coastal provinces?
It's a bit irritating that I'm so far away from the Norse holy sites, conquering them is going to be a bit tricky.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Rockopolis posted:

I've been getting issues with my prisoners, though. More than once I've captured someone's wife and I have been unable to ransom them off because their relationship is too low. That honestly makes me feel kind of bad for them, and I'm not sure if I should take them as a concubine or not. (I already held a Great Blot, sacrificed a preacher or two, so I have to wait another decade to sacrifice them)

The other thing is that I've tried starting a game as the Norse Doge of the Most Enraged Republic of Venice, and it's been pretty fun so far. However, I created a female ruler, and have not been able to get any matrilineal marriages. Any advice?
I'm starting to think I should just restart with a male ruler. In that case I need advice for the best facial hair possible.

I also can't lead my troops in person, but that's not too bad when I have :catholic:Bishop Rodolfo of Rialto's Raiders:black101: sacking the Mediterranean to build my massive Villa. I find it hilarious that a man of the cloth is leading viking raiders, and he kind of hates my guts, but I guess he's :coal: with sacking moonmen.
Is it possible for a Catholic to get the Viking trait?

What's a good way to build up my retinue? Start pagan conquering coastal provinces?
It's a bit irritating that I'm so far away from the Norse holy sites, conquering them is going to be a bit tricky.
I believe you not getting a matrilineal marriage is normal, if I recall correctly you cannot marry matrilinealy at all as a merchant republic.

And Catholics cannot gain the Viking trait since you must be Pagan to raid in the first place, which is the only way to get that trait.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Rockopolis posted:

Every time this happens to me after I win a siege in my Karen game, I just let them go. I figure being told that their husband has no interest in paying their ransom to get them out of a hellish Dark Age Persian dungeon is bad enough. :smith:

I like to think the enemy ruler is sleeping on the couch for the next decade or two when she gets back.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Pimpmust posted:

Even better when it's your husband/son with 100 opinion of you.

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird

Torrannor posted:

I believe you not getting a matrilineal marriage is normal, if I recall correctly you cannot marry matrilinealy at all as a merchant republic.

And Catholics cannot gain the Viking trait since you must be Pagan to raid in the first place, which is the only way to get that trait.

So no heirs at all? Rats. Guess I'm going to have to restart.

Wasn't there some way to imprison someone and force them into a matrilineal marriage?

Also, what's a decent health rating to give a ruler a long life? 10?

WeaponGradeSadness posted:

Every time this happens to me after I win a siege in my Karen game, I just let them go. I figure being told that their husband has no interest in paying their ransom to get them out of a hellish Dark Age Persian dungeon is bad enough. :smith:

I like to think the enemy ruler is sleeping on the couch for the next decade or two when she gets back.
What's even worse is how I found this out.
I was playing as Harald Fairhair, I subjugated one of my neighbors, dragged his wife out of the castle after a siege, and then won the war. I tried to ransom her back, and it turns out he didn't have enough money.
No problem, I think, I'll just gift him some money, and then ransom back his wife; discount relations boost, and it'll make for a funny story.
And then, er..."Relationship too low ---"

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Why not just release her from prison instead?

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

WeaponGradeSadness posted:

I had a father not want his newborn son back. Conflicting stats, I guess?

...so I raised the kid myself and raised him Norse, gently caress that guy. Kid converted culture/religion (from Scottish/Catholic) and grew up to be an awesome military leader.

I'm afraid it doesn't work so well with wives though.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Strudel Man posted:

Okay, yes, as trade republics are literally drowning in money, you can assassinate a lot of people when playing one.

Any decent king or even superduke should be able to get enough funds to do just about as many plot stabs as you want and even the occasional diplo stab. I'm playing the duke of upper burgundy (Hapsburg) and just did a diplo stab against the duke of lower burgundy which ended up being 750 gold. Probably average around 5ish plot stabs that actually involve bribes per ruler. I don't even count the domestic stabs where you get like 250% plot power in 3 seconds flat and basically instant kill the guy.

Though I do spend pretty much all of my money solely on stabs and mercenaries. Filthy peasants can live in their undeveloped hovels for all I care. I've got duchies to inherit!

I also join alliance wars and use my upkeep free vassal levies to siege stuff down for free gold too.

Nuclearmonkee fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Jul 1, 2013

psychofishhead
Oct 30, 2010

So the game I'm currently playing is an 867 start as the Doux of Paphlagonia, with the intent of getting the Doukas dynasty onto the byzantine throne and ultimately restoring the Roman Empire. I worked my way west, conquered Sicily and now my dynasty is set to inherit the throne after the passing of the current empress, but I noticed something odd during the downtime of conquering and politicking. Scraggly raiders would pop up on my shores every so often with some odd standards. I decide to take a look at their leader and...

...I found the world's most intrepid viking. I think I'm going to switch to this dude and see if I can't carve out an Afro-Norse empire. Hell yeah

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

Well, one of my occasional projects whenever I'm playing as Scandanavians is to marry off my courtiers (and my dynasty, if there are suitably ranks spouses) to as many Axumites (or Mande) as possible, so I can have black vikings.
But yeah, this game sometimes reminds me of Dwarf Fortress.

Well, time to restart the Most Enraged Republic of Venice. I guess there's a reason they call them Patricians.

TheBlackRoija
May 6, 2008

Enrico Dandolo posted:

Having a hard time figuring out how this could mean anything but "Prince Bagsecg is the lover of his father, the King of Denmark."

Similarly

Count Rudolf really loves himself.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

psychofishhead posted:

So the game I'm currently playing is an 867 start as the Doux of Paphlagonia, with the intent of getting the Doukas dynasty onto the byzantine throne and ultimately restoring the Roman Empire. I worked my way west, conquered Sicily and now my dynasty is set to inherit the throne after the passing of the current empress, but I noticed something odd during the downtime of conquering and politicking. Scraggly raiders would pop up on my shores every so often with some odd standards. I decide to take a look at their leader and...

...I found the world's most intrepid viking. I think I'm going to switch to this dude and see if I can't carve out an Afro-Norse empire. Hell yeah

Oh wow, and he is even part of the Swedish royal family. This is CK2+? Because this island doesn't exist in vanilla.

Edit: I wanted to say it for some time now, but I am glad I did not buy the Norse face pack. They are just so ugly. And nice ambition, does he want to have 10 children?

Torrannor fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Jul 1, 2013

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

DrSunshine posted:

(Paradox forums Sonendar)

Oh hey, that was me! (Using my girlfriend's account.) I'm very happy to see a few mechanics in for Sonendar because, welp, sacrificing heathens to Them Who Dwell Beneath the Deeps :cthulhu:

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Mister Adequate posted:

Oh hey, that was me! (Using my girlfriend's account.) I'm very happy to see a few mechanics in for Sonendar because, welp, sacrificing heathens to Them Who Dwell Beneath the Deeps :cthulhu:

I'll add in a CB that allows people who belong to the Cult of the Elders of the Abyss to wage wars of conversion by spending 500 piety. It's sort of like a Crusade, except instead of absorbing territory, it just forces the ruler and their vassals to convert.

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

Actually, here's another question; if I'm the Norse Doge of Venice, I have a Catholic bishop for my Chaplain; if I assign him to conversions, will he try to make people Norse or Catholic? If I send him to my province, will I get a message that I sent him to convert myself, thus giving me another sacrifice for the next blot?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Torrannor posted:

Oh wow, and he is even part of the Swedish royal family. This is CK2+? Because this island doesn't exist in vanilla.

Edit: I wanted to say it for some time now, but I am glad I did not buy the Norse face pack. They are just so ugly. And nice ambition, does he want to have 10 children?

The Norse face pack is actually pretty awesome, and one of the better ones, in my opinion.

The Celtic faces from the newest DLC can be pretty unnerving, though. Especially the children.

• Locked thread