Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Is there a reason for the networks to keep churning out CGI shows? Is traditional animation too expensive or what?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Quality CGI, much like quality traditional animation, takes time and money. Beware the Batman definitely looks like it's being made on the cheap; the backgrounds in particular look like they'd be at home in an early PS2 game. That sort of effort put into 2d animation would also look ugly as sin.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Is there a reason for the networks to keep churning out CGI shows? Is traditional animation too expensive or what?

Traditional animation CAN be expensive compared to CG, but CG can easily be expensive as well. I think CG is easier to cheap out on. Note, I am not talking about bottom of the barrel animation on either side.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
From what I've heard at WBA, CGI animation is actually significantly more expensive than traditional animation. When the Green Lantern series got canceled, a staff member (Giancarlo Volpe I think?) said that the animation for the show was twice as expensive as Young Justice's despite looking way worse. I don't think the new Batman show will last very long for the same reason. It looks like WB took a really big gamble on this CG stuff and it failed big-time.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

HorseRenoir posted:

From what I've heard at WBA, CGI animation is actually significantly more expensive than traditional animation. When the Green Lantern series got canceled, a staff member (Giancarlo Volpe I think?) said that the animation for the show was twice as expensive as Young Justice's despite looking way worse. I don't think the new Batman show will last very long for the same reason. It looks like WB took a really big gamble on this CG stuff and it failed big-time.

Then it doesn't even make sense then. How do you spend more money and end up with something worse looking? Also I don't really get why GL would cost more. I mean I see how CG CAN be expensive, if you were Pixar or Dreamworks, but there wasn't really much that was special about GL, especially compared to Clone Wars.

I'm wondering if the price of CG is unnaturally inflated due to a lack of resources for rendering? Perhaps if there were more render farms around the price would be more reasonable? I don't see how a CG should would require more people, so it can't be that, unless CG animation staffs just plain get paid more for whatever reason.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug

ToastyPotato posted:

Then it doesn't even make sense then. How do you spend more money and end up with something worse looking? Also I don't really get why GL would cost more. I mean I see how CG CAN be expensive, if you were Pixar or Dreamworks, but there wasn't really much that was special about GL, especially compared to Clone Wars.

I'm wondering if the price of CG is unnaturally inflated due to a lack of resources for rendering? Perhaps if there were more render farms around the price would be more reasonable? I don't see how a CG should would require more people, so it can't be that, unless CG animation staffs just plain get paid more for whatever reason.

I heard that the biggest problem with the CG was that, unlike traditional animation where everything can just be drawn in, new characters, backgrounds, and objects had to be individually built and rendered. They probably didn't have a big enough budget to render CG in comparison to Dreamworks' and Lucasfilm's television departments. CG is in a weird spot right now where it's cheaper and more efficient than traditional for big-budget projects like films, but it's the exact opposite for projects with smaller resources like television shows.

WordMercenary
Jan 14, 2013
Aye, I think it's more about trying to capitalise on perceived trends than costs. 3D animation is dominating the cinema and they're trying to ape that trend, but it doesn't seem to fit the TV economic model anywhere near as well.

Either that or they all used to be massive ReBoot fans.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

WordMercenary posted:

Aye, I think it's more about trying to capitalise on perceived trends than costs. 3D animation is dominating the cinema and they're trying to ape that trend, but it doesn't seem to fit the TV economic model anywhere near as well.

Either that or they all used to be massive ReBoot fans.

The difference is Reboot actually looked pretty good for its time.

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

ReBoot also had the excuse of being set IN a computer, so the fact that everything LOOKED computer generated and odd was perfect for the story. Why does Batman look like someone mashed together BTAS and The Batman's designs and tried to make a 3D model out of it? Because the design is horrible. Why does Bob have weird silver dreadlocks and purple skin and look weird? Because he's in and from a computer!

Stuff like making robots and computer stuff in CG tends to work because the animation style serves the designs.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Even weirder is that the series is headed by Glenn Murakami, who is really good at traditional animation-- he storyboarded some of BTAS's best scenes in some of its best episodes.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.

Hazo posted:

Even weirder is that the series is headed by Glenn Murakami, who is really good at traditional animation-- he storyboarded some of BTAS's best scenes in some of its best episodes.

Nothing weird about it, yeah CGI costs more because somebody has to model every rock and building front but the current "wisdom" of Hollywood is that traditional animation is dead or dying and kids will only want to watch CGI now because the marketing department said so.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

SirDan3k posted:

Nothing weird about it, yeah CGI costs more because somebody has to model every rock and building front but the current "wisdom" of Hollywood is that traditional animation is dead or dying and kids will only want to watch CGI now because the marketing department said so.
I thought "The Princess and The Frog" was going to change that and bring back a new golden age of 2D animation in cinema, but then Avatar happened :negative:

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

achillesforever6 posted:

I thought "The Princess and The Frog" was going to change that and bring back a new golden age of 2D animation in cinema, but then Avatar happened :negative:
Well, Disney has gone to Gravity Falls guys and commissioned them do do a bunch of 2D Mickey shorts that are shockingly, also amazing. What's old is new again.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

achillesforever6 posted:

There are still great 2D animated films coming out, you just have to look beyond the US. France has really become the major force for quality 2D animation with stuff like Persepolis, The Illusionist, and A Cat in Paris. Japan hasn't abandoned 2D animation at all. Satoshi Kon probably had the strongest filmography of any director working in the last decade with Millennium Actress, Tokyo Godfather, and Paprika which are all masterpieces. There's also Chico and Rita, The Secret of the Kells, and other small 2D movies coming out around the world.

I liked The Princess and the Frog, but it was trying to revive something that I don't think is coming back. We're probably not going to have a revival of what Disney was at the end of the 20th century. There is still good stuff out there.

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

SirDan3k posted:

On the flip side CGI is really great when you need to reuse a model again and again such as in the Starship Troopers TV show. On the commentaries one of the producers started talking about how they could only introduce a new bug every story arch (roughly 5 episodes) but once it was introduce/model the show could use it as many times as they wanted.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Well the Beware the Batman intro has come out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y4iXANrrTk8

Zeeman
May 8, 2007

Say WHAT?! You KNOW that post is wack, homie!

MonsterEnvy posted:

That has so much more style than the clips we've seen, although Batman's design still looks dumb

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Zeeman posted:

That has so much more style than the clips we've seen, although Batman's design still looks dumb

It's not really anything we haven't seen before.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wQ-GAxE6RD4

I mean, gently caress, they almost look exactly the same but Justice League was done in loving 2001!

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

MonsterEnvy posted:

That's actually pretty a pretty fun song and some pretty cool imagery. Raises my interest a little.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

Codependent Poster posted:

It's not really anything we haven't seen before.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wQ-GAxE6RD4

I mean, gently caress, they almost look exactly the same but Justice League was done in loving 2001!

Are you blind? It is kind of the same style but the Batman one looks MILES better.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Senor Candle posted:

Are you blind? It is kind of the same style but the Batman one looks MILES better.
I wouldn't say it's 12 years of progress in CGI better though.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Avengers Assemble premieres tomorrow morning at 11AM on Disney XD for those of you who want to actually care to watch it. I thought Agents of SMASH was premiering then too, but it's actually coming around August 11th.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

It seems like Deadpool will be making an appearance on USM tomorrow as well? Along with what seems like a redesigned Taskmaster, who is halfway between his Udon design and his classic one.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

Timeless Appeal posted:

I liked The Princess and the Frog, but it was trying to revive something that I don't think is coming back. We're probably not going to have a revival of what Disney was at the end of the 20th century. There is still good stuff out there.
Yeah, but I just stubbornly wish for 2D animation to be big again in theaters in America. I never actually got to see a lot of those Disney movies in theaters ( I think the first one was Atlantis or Treasure Planet which was during the "downfall" of quality Disney movies)

I don't think there is a problem with a CGI superhero cartoon, hell Green Lantern TAS is now one of my favorite superhero cartoons of all time. It just took a time to get used to.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Please tell me I'm not the only person who was dumb enough to sit through that whole episode of Deadpool in Ultimate Spider-Man.

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Ever since our drop-off service, I never read a book.
There's always something else around, plus I owe the library nineteen bucks.

Sex_Ferguson posted:

Please tell me I'm not the only person who was dumb enough to sit through that whole episode of Deadpool in Ultimate Spider-Man.

It was loving weird. USM has a ton of questionable meta stuff going on to begin with, and they used Deadpool to leverage that in some ways that could have been kind of interesting, but because it's USM all of the jokes were hideously overwritten and painfully unfunny so any potential spark of inspiration there was pretty well drowned out. In theory I actually kind of like Will Friedle as Deadpool, and if they had toned him down two or three or four notches it probably could have worked, but they basically had him doing the Ron Stoppable panicky screaming comic relief voice 100% of the time and it was incredibly grating.

Also I still can't get over the fact that teenaged Iron Fist and Luke Cage are on Spider-Man's S.H.I.E.L.D. Jr. squad. I mean, what?

e: vvvv yes this is true

Opposing Farce fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Jul 7, 2013

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Sex_Ferguson posted:

Sorry, but you're pretty dumb if you sit through any episode of Ultimate Spider-Man. :smugbert:

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
My hopes for Deadpool to be represented well in any way in other media overcame my rationality... I will make sure that never happens again (It will happen again).

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

Sex_Ferguson posted:

My hopes for Deadpool to be represented well in any way in other media overcame my rationality... I will make sure that never happens again (It will happen again).
We were probably close with Wolverine and the X-Men Season 2, but then that got canceled :smith:

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

achillesforever6 posted:

We were probably close with Wolverine and the X-Men Season 2, but then that got canceled :smith:

Wolverine vs Hulk is perfectly good Deadpool and is also bonus Wolverine and the X-Men.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I should've said television actually as Deadpool has been represented very well except for USM and the DP game.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Is his game bad? :smith:

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

ToastyPotato posted:

I've heard it's very mediocre.

Emo Szyslak
Feb 25, 2006

Just like him :getin:

PicklePants
May 8, 2007
Woo!
Yeah, that was really embarrassing to watch. High pitched, loud stupidity.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

PicklePants posted:

Yeah, that was really embarrassing to watch. High pitched, loud stupidity.
Which is sad because Will Friedle is usually a much better voice actor than that.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...

ToastyPotato posted:

I had a blast watching my buddy play it for a few hours but then I'm easily pleased.

PicklePants
May 8, 2007
Woo!

achillesforever6 posted:

Which is sad because Will Friedle is usually a much better voice actor than that.

Sometimes even good voice actors get REALLY terrible voice acting directions. It's not their fault, they're just doing what they need to to get paid.

I'll throw Brent Spiner in with this as Joker, he was really good as Puck in Gargoyles.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Some reviews of the first Beware the Batman episode are up. They seem to be pretty positive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!
The third episode of AVENGERS ASSEMBLE has Iron Man take something from Falcon and play keep-away until he literally says "Give it back!" like a sad little six-year-old. It turns out that his mother made cookies, and then the whole team fights over who gets to have cookies.

I kind of stopped watching at that point because weirdly enough I was hoping to see superheroics of some sort, rather than a loving playground squabble between grown adults.

I gave Avengers Assemble three chances to not be terrible, and it blew every single one of them.

• Locked thread