Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

The more I mull it over, the more I wonder if I really need a monitor that displays all of the AdobeRGB gamut. There are so many variables between my monitor and the print being viewed anyway, there will always need to be test prints. I've been editing on a ACD that just barely pulls off sRGB for years now. Also, the monitor on which I may have to make tiny color adjustments is at the print shop anyway.

Anyone know about LED backlights screwing with color calibration hardware?

LED backlighting is incompatible with most older color units. I found this out with my spyder 2. :eng99:
e: I think all new ones work with led though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

Reichstag, any thoughts on whether or not I should bother buying a wide gamut monitor or instead just a very good quality sRGB capable one? I seem to recall you do a lot of printing as well...? or was that brad

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine
I don't do a lot of printing, no, and I haven't gotten anything to replace the spyder yet. I doubt a wide-gamut is going to do much for you though.

Mightaswell
Dec 4, 2003

Not now chief, I'm in the fuckin' zone.
Except make you wonder why all your reds are radioactive looking, until you realize you had no idea how color profiles worked.

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib
So what do you guys recommend as far as backpacks go? I bought a cheapie Amazon Basics bag and it strangles me practically.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

mAlfunkti0n posted:

So what do you guys recommend as far as backpacks go?
Reading and posting in the thread dedicated to bag-chat.

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Reading and posting in the thread dedicated to bag-chat.

And every day I learn there is a new thread for another piece of equipment I want. :doh:

Count Freebasie
Jan 12, 2006

I'm doing all of my post-processing on a mid-2010 13" Macbook Pro (I travel a lot for work, so I do the majority of shooting on the road and I like the size of the 13" for portability), and what would you guys consider as a good monitor to hook up to this at home since a bigger screen would be a hell of a lot more helpful, obviously. Price is definitely a factor, so I'm not dropping $930 on a 27" Thunderbolt display. Any suggestions on bang for the buck?

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

whatever IPS panel is in your budget.

Mightaswell
Dec 4, 2003

Not now chief, I'm in the fuckin' zone.
Dell Ultasharp, spend to taste.

Count Freebasie
Jan 12, 2006

Mightaswell posted:

Dell Ultasharp, spend to taste.

Awesome; thanks.

William T. Hornaday
Nov 26, 2007

Don't tap on the fucking glass!
I swear to god I'll cut off your fucking fingers and feed them to the otters for enrichment.
Dell U2312HM.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

Dude, you're getting a Dell!

(Except an actual good thing.)

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib

SoundMonkey posted:

Dude, you're getting a Dell!

(Except an actual good thing.)

I love my 24" IPS Dell .. it's the older one (non led).

BrosephofArimathea
Jan 31, 2005

I've finally come to grips with the fact that the sky fucking fell.
Has anyone got any experience with the Hartblei tiltshifts? Or, even more specifically, the 45mm f3.5 one?

http://www.hartblei.com/lenses/lens_45mm.htm

emotive
Dec 26, 2006

Does anyone have any hands-on experience with Tiffen ND or CPL filters? I'm looking into picking up a couple for a race event this weekend but don't have the cash right now for B+W stuff. More concerned about IQ than potential glare from not having the multicoat.

I'd be using them on good glass, so eventually I'll get better filters... just in a pinch.

mclifford82
Jan 27, 2009

Bump the Barnacle!

emotive posted:

Does anyone have any hands-on experience with Tiffen ND or CPL filters? I'm looking into picking up a couple for a race event this weekend but don't have the cash right now for B+W stuff. More concerned about IQ than potential glare from not having the multicoat.

I'd be using them on good glass, so eventually I'll get better filters... just in a pinch.

I've heard various things, from they are serviceable (always a reassuring word) to being pretty good. I mostly hear good things about their variable ND filters, but in a pinch they should suffice.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

They're fine. You'd be hard pressed to notice the difference between Tiffen and B+W without being really, really, picky. If your images are never leaving a computer screen or magazine/newsprint, it won't matter.

emotive
Dec 26, 2006

They're fine. You'd be hard pressed to notice the difference between Tiffen and B+W without being really, really, picky. If your images are never leaving a computer screen or magazine/newsprint, it won't matter.

Cool. That's about all I need to hear. I do mostly web in the end (lots of car/motorsports photography).

I'll pick up a 77MM ND and CPL filter and then just get a step up ring set since I have lenses varying from 52-77mm... Figured that'd make more sense than ordering two each of 52, 58, 67 and 77mm filters. I'll also pick up a screw on 77mm hood so I don't lose that option. A little worried about the rings/hood showing up in images, but I won't need the rings at all on my 17-50 f/2.8, and all my others are 50mm+ (50mm 1.8, 85mm 1.8, 70-200 f4) so I think it'll work out okay.

emotive fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Jul 3, 2013

Bob Mundon
Dec 1, 2003
Your Friendly Neighborhood Gun Nut
Just got in the Fotodiox extension tubes, if that is the gateway drug to macro consider me addicted. For $11 no person who owns a DSLR has any excuse for not owning them...........and then likely buying more macro gear.

It costing $11, when considering what it does, is one of the most confusing things I've come across. Granted, it's just a hollow tube, so it probably shouldn't cost more than $11, but it's unbelievable.

mclifford82
Jan 27, 2009

Bump the Barnacle!

Bob Mundon posted:

Just got in the Fotodiox extension tubes, if that is the gateway drug to macro consider me addicted. For $11 no person who owns a DSLR has any excuse for not owning them...........and then likely buying more macro gear.

It costing $11, when considering what it does, is one of the most confusing things I've come across. Granted, it's just a hollow tube, so it probably shouldn't cost more than $11, but it's unbelievable.

drat, wait until you use an actual macro lens. I did enjoy my tubes while I had them as well.

Bob Mundon
Dec 1, 2003
Your Friendly Neighborhood Gun Nut

mclifford82 posted:

drat, wait until you use an actual macro lens. I did enjoy my tubes while I had them as well.

I imagine it's way better, but how specifically?

Either way, at $11, being able to do what it can do might make it the best deal on the planet. Just shot some coffee beans and the beans were about as expensive as the tube, keeping in mind I got the beans at Walmart.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Speaking of extension tubes, I'm too lazy to do any research myself, but I'm wondering: How much extension would I need to turn the Nikon 55/2.8, which by itself does 1:2, into 1:1? Any neat, easy way to calculate that?

ugh whatever jeez
Mar 19, 2009

Buglord

nielsm posted:

Speaking of extension tubes, I'm too lazy to do any research myself, but I'm wondering: How much extension would I need to turn the Nikon 55/2.8, which by itself does 1:2, into 1:1? Any neat, easy way to calculate that?

Here: http://www.cambridgeincolour.com/tutorials/macro-extension-tubes-closeup.htm

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

e: nm

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

nielsm posted:

I believe those were intended for use with the PK-13 tube, which shockingly is 13mm. Or I'm wrong and also an idiot.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
I suppose that forcing you to think about composition thing kind of stops working in the tele range, right? I'd be stupid to get say a 135/2 over a 70-200/2.8?

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Combat Pretzel posted:

I suppose that forcing you to think about composition thing kind of stops working in the tele range, right? I'd be stupid to get say a 135/2 over a 70-200/2.8?

I think that all depends on how many lenses you want to carry. The 135L is a sexy beast and worthy of anyone's interest, but if you were going to carry it around as your only lens then you'd probably be better off with the 70-200 (and I'd say f/4 if you have a camera with good ISO, only because it's sharper wide open). If you're on a FF camera it's a little better but if you're on a crop then you'd definitely want something more versatile.

It sounds like you want this as a walkaround lens of sorts (or at least something to have nearby while walking around in case you need a tele) so I'd probably go with the 70-200 f/4 personally.

I had a lot of fun with a lovely old 70-200 f/4 when I shot my K10D. I obviously didn't get any sweeping crowd shots or anything, but it was fantastic for portrait style photos.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
The idea was indeed more as walk around on a FF camera. I'd prefer wider aperture, shallow DOF and all. Not too excited about the third party options in the zoom lenses. I have to decide between a Sigma/Tamron with image stabilization with so-so IQ, or a Canon L non-II (the II is too expensive for me, also I hate the white tube) with good IQ and no stabilization.

Right now I have 24/1.4 manual, 35/1.4 and 50/1.4, hauling them all with me at all times.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Combat Pretzel posted:

The idea was indeed more as walk around on a FF camera. I'd prefer wider aperture, shallow DOF and all. Not too excited about the third party options in the zoom lenses. I have to decide between a Sigma/Tamron with image stabilization with so-so IQ, or a Canon L non-II (the II is too expensive for me, also I hate the white tube) with good IQ and no stabilization.

Right now I have 24/1.4 manual, 35/1.4 and 50/1.4, hauling them all with me at all times.

Buy my 70-200 2.8. Great price in the sale thread.

ManiacMatt
Feb 28, 2007

This is not the pleasure planet I was promised!
What is everyone thoughts on the Carry Speed FS Pro strap vs the blackrapid straps. I really would like a shoulder strap and I'm between these right now.

Primo Itch
Nov 4, 2006
I confessed a horrible secret for this account!

ManiacMatt posted:

What is everyone thoughts on the Carry Speed FS Pro strap vs the blackrapid straps. I really would like a shoulder strap and I'm between these right now.

Get a guitar strap, an 1/4 screw and a pressure washer and you'll have an amazing shoulder strap for very little.

ShadeofBlue
Mar 17, 2011

I was in Germany for a couple of weeks recently, and while I was there, I found a Nikon TC-16A for a good price. I'm posting about it in this thread rather than the Nikon one because I think it's interesting to everyone.

It's a 1.6x teleconverter, but it also adds limited autofocus to whatever lens you put in front of it. It's driven like Nikon's old autofocus lenses, with the motor in camera body. The range of movement is pretty limited, especially if you are using a long lens, since the amount the elements in the TC can move is fixed, but you have to move glass further to move focus on a long lens. On something like a 35mm lens, though, you can pretty much leave the lens at infinity and get most of the range you would want to use. On an 85mm you can probably figure out a good distance to leave the lens at and not have to move it much, but for lenses that you really want a TC for, like 300mm+, you're still doing a lot of the work yourself. But now you are nailing focus just by getting close, and you can track moving objects, like birds in flight. It actually focuses quite quickly.

There's a bit of a catch, though. Unmodified, it doesn't work with digital cameras. The contact pins aren't quite the same as a normal AF lens. Fortunately, someone else did all the hard work for me. It's a fairly simple mod. You solder a short wire to the flex cable at position 3, and to one of the springs that hold the pins in place. The camera gets whatever signal that used to go to contact 3 at contact 6 now, which fools it into thinking there's a normal autofocus lens attached to it. With this part of the mod complete, the camera will only shoot wide open, and thinks a 5mm f/1.0 prime, shooting at 8mm is attached to the camera (yes, that's impossible). If you try to stop down you get the fEE error. The autofocus works with digital cameras like this, but on my copy (and it sounds like, many others), it severely front-focuses without the next part of the mod.

Luckily, Nikon used the same chip for this TC, a 50mm f1.8 prime, a 35-70 f/3.5-4.5 and a 70-210 f/4. There are two pins on the TC which determine what lens or TC gets reported to the camera. By clipping both of them off, it reports the 70-210 zoom. After doing this, the AF miraculously becomes accurate, and you no longer have to shoot wide open. I'm not exactly sure why this fixes the AF, but it does. You have to set your lens's aperture to 6 stops below wide open, because on the 70-210 zoom that's stopped down all the way. That does mean that you can't stop down any further than 6 stops even if your lens is technically capable of doing so (who cares?). It does also mean that you cannot use lenses that only have 5 or fewer stops of aperture, unless you switch the camera to use the aperture ring rather than the dial on the camera.

I can't really say much about the image quality yet. I haven't tested it out to make sure the AF really is completely accurate, but I can definitely say that it's within the capabilities of my D300's fine tune. I just finished the mod this afternoon (actually I finished fixing the tear I made in the flex PCB :(). I can say, though, after playing around with my Samyang 85mm on it, that it does seem like stopping down a bit is a good idea. My parents have an AIS 300mm f/4.5 that I will be testing extensively with the TC :D. That should give me a 480 f/6.7 lens. It should AF alright; technically lenses slower than f/5.6 don't, but some guy got AF to work with a 500mm f/8 on the TC, which is f/12.8.

I'm probably going to break down and get a manual focus super-telephoto one of these days. The old manual focus 800 f5.6 shows up on KEH for around $3000 fairly often, that's practically free compared to the new AF-S one! I can totally hand hold one of those if it autofocuses, right?

dakana
Aug 28, 2006
So I packed up my Salvador Dali print of two blindfolded dental hygienists trying to make a circle on an Etch-a-Sketch and headed for California.
Would someone take pity on me and explain to me, start to finish, how the gently caress color profiles and monitor calibration and printer profiles and color spaces and color management in photoshop and all that poo poo actually works and interfaces with each other?

I understand that monitors cannot display all of the colors that cameras can capture and printers can print. I (think) I understand that color profiles are a way of telling monitors what color to display that looks closest to a color they can't display. I don't think I get what all goes on with setting a color profile for your monitor, setting a color profile to a photo in Photoshop, how printer profiles work, how calibration helps/what it does, etc.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

I'm still learning, but I have found this to be a great source: http://www.adobe.com/digitalimag/pdfs/phscs2ip_colspace.pdf

jerry seinfel
Jun 25, 2007

I'm not sure if anyone else has this problem but hey.

I use a canon eyepiece extender and I keep losing the eyecup off the thing. It's really loose and I'm getting really tired of it. Should I use put black electrical tape around it or is there a better way? The eyecups themselves are crazy loose to the point that they'll come slip off inside my bag.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses

dakana posted:

Would someone take pity on me and explain to me, start to finish, how the gently caress color profiles and monitor calibration and printer profiles and color spaces and color management in photoshop and all that poo poo actually works and interfaces with each other?

I understand that monitors cannot display all of the colors that cameras can capture and printers can print. I (think) I understand that color profiles are a way of telling monitors what color to display that looks closest to a color they can't display. I don't think I get what all goes on with setting a color profile for your monitor, setting a color profile to a photo in Photoshop, how printer profiles work, how calibration helps/what it does, etc.

Buy this book:

http://www.amazon.com/Real-World-Color-Management-Edition/dp/0321267222/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1373244900

VomitOnLino
Jun 13, 2005

Sometimes I get lost.

The more I mull it over, the more I wonder if I really need a monitor that displays all of the AdobeRGB gamut. There are so many variables between my monitor and the print being viewed anyway, there will always need to be test prints. I've been editing on a ACD that just barely pulls off sRGB for years now. Also, the monitor on which I may have to make tiny color adjustments is at the print shop anyway.

Anyone know about LED backlights screwing with color calibration hardware?

I don't know about all calibration hardware, but my i1Display pro works fine with my LED back-lit screen.
As does a friend's Spyder 3.

Calibrating it will require quite large adjustments to the R-G-B gain of the screen's back-light. So it must be able to adjust the fine LED gain individually or you'll be screwed. AFAIK even the IPS gamut is not wide enough to account for the full LED color shift. I couldn't believe how cool the LED back-lighting color temperature actually is.

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib
Any thoughts on off brand grips? I really, really want a grip for my 6D (I shoot in portrait frequently enough). I was looking at one from Zeikos (link below) for $60, seems to have mostly good reviews ..

http://www.amazon.com/Zeikos-ZE-CBG6D-Battery-Canon-Black/dp/B00AZRGIO0/ref=cm_cmu_pg__header

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

mAlfunkti0n posted:

Any thoughts on off brand grips? I really, really want a grip for my 6D (I shoot in portrait frequently enough). I was looking at one from Zeikos (link below) for $60, seems to have mostly good reviews ..

http://www.amazon.com/Zeikos-ZE-CBG6D-Battery-Canon-Black/dp/B00AZRGIO0/ref=cm_cmu_pg__header

The zeikos ones are supposed to be pretty good, especially for the money.