Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Pockyless posted:

It's really not. Especially in a game where hit checking is such an important and fundamental concept, the delay based netcode is really frustrating if you play offline even a little.

Maybe I've been lucky getting matched up with people in the UK, but its felt pretty seamless in comparison to, say SF4. Never going to be identical to offline, admittedly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
That netcode was downright incredible when Vanilla VF5 came out in 2007. Keep in mind that this was when GGPO was brand spankin new, and DOA and a couple of the KOFs were pretty much the only things even remotely playable on Xbox Live.

Of course it isnt perfect and this is something as exact as VF, but dangit its among the best delay-based netcode Ive ever seen.

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
So I picked up Super SF4 AE when it was on sale on Steam and it sucks with the xbox controller. I don't have a stick but I do have a Mad Catz PS3 brawl pad with wrestlers on it. It's not wired, it has some USB dongle. My dumb question is: can I use this on the PC? I know that PS3 controllers can be used with a bit of fussing around but I can't find any info on this specific pad working on PC.

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984

Overbite posted:

So I picked up Super SF4 AE when it was on sale on Steam and it sucks with the xbox controller. I don't have a stick but I do have a Mad Catz PS3 brawl pad with wrestlers on it. It's not wired, it has some USB dongle. My dumb question is: can I use this on the PC? I know that PS3 controllers can be used with a bit of fussing around but I can't find any info on this specific pad working on PC.

Maybe. There was an issue with the first-gen Madcatz PS3 pads not working unless you had an Intel motherboard but that might've been ironed out by the time the Brawl pads were released. There IS a way to get it to work if it doesn't but I think it'll involve buying a $20 USB connection or something.

Unfortunately you just missed the Madcatz sale for 50% off all BrawlPads (where you could've gotten an XBox one), but if you want something guaranteed to work, you can grab one of these for the same price as the dongle (assuming your PS3 pad doesn't work and you'd need to get that USB extension): http://store.gameshark.com/searchRe...e1-772c9bd2e45d

Just plug it in and try it first. You might be able to get http://www.motioninjoy.com/ to pick it up and emulate a 360 controller too.

EDIT: vvvvv Listen to this guy, I'm not too up on current controller emulation software. Also saw a recommendation for Joy2Pad when I was researching your issue so that's also possibly an option vvvvv

The Joe Man fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Jul 1, 2013

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
MotionInJoy is borderline malware; use this newer alternative instead:
http://forums.pcsx2.net/Thread-XInput-Wrapper-for-DS3-and-Play-com-USB-Dual-DS2-Controller

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
Neither of those work, it isn't recognized by anything :( I might have to get a 360 one. Thanks anyway.

sentrygun
Dec 29, 2009

i say~
hey start:nya-sh
MotionInJoy is really bad and should be avoided now that there's an actual alternative, but I don't think the PS3 brawl pads work on PC at all. I think it's the TE ones that do work on PC, but have those weird usb problems.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

The Joe Man posted:

Unfortunately you just missed the Madcatz sale for 50% off all BrawlPads (where you could've gotten an XBox one), but if you want something guaranteed to work, you can grab one of these for the same price as the dongle (assuming your PS3 pad doesn't work and you'd need to get that USB extension): http://store.gameshark.com/searchRe...e1-772c9bd2e45d

Just wait a week or two- there will be lots of stick sales for Evo.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

sentrygun posted:

MotionInJoy is really bad and should be avoided now that there's an actual alternative, but I don't think the PS3 brawl pads work on PC at all. I think it's the TE ones that do work on PC, but have those weird usb problems.

Yeah, if I recall correctly, some intel chipsets have problems with the PS3 TEs. For example, my stick used to work on my old laptop, but after getting a new one, it didn't work at all, even though my DS3 worked fine. That's one of the reasons I decided to dual mod my stick.

Speaking of, I finally got my PS360+ and went through with my dual mod. Major props go to PLANES CURE TOWERS for helping me with some issues I had and getting me up and running. Now I can play all the terrible awesome poverty games I've had to go without for the last year! :toot:

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

That's awesome! Good job with the dual-mod.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
PDP PS3 Fight Pads are like 10-15 dollars at GameStop if you find one. They feel kinda cheap and are noisy, but are actually pretty good and I didn't have any issues with it on my non Intel pc.

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

sentrygun posted:

What alternative?

Saman
Oct 23, 2008

Next, you'll say...
"What a good post!"

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

What alternative?

http://forums.pcsx2.net/Thread-XInput-Wrapper-for-DS3-and-Play-com-USB-Dual-DS2-Controller

also known as the thing linked 2 posts upwards of that post

Klades
Sep 8, 2011

I guess I missed the memo, what's wrong with MotionInJoy? Is it the obnoxious ad it has at the bottom of the window (that I never look at unless I'm changing options honestly)?

sentrygun
Dec 29, 2009

i say~
hey start:nya-sh

Klades posted:

I guess I missed the memo, what's wrong with MotionInJoy? Is it the obnoxious ad it has at the bottom of the window (that I never look at unless I'm changing options honestly)?

It pretty often forces open a website page for me and is generally pretty loving shady, and that's without knowing what it actually does behind the scenes. I used it because it was the only good option, but if there's anything else you should avoid it at all costs.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

hey if you want to help domestic abuser Noel Brown home you can pitch in!

http://pitchinbox.com/pages/9315037574

what a loving joke.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
How many times has he tried to solve problems with his fists now?
Act like a loving adult

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

he learned from fighting games

Brett824
Mar 30, 2009

I could let these dreamkillers kill my self esteem or use the arrogance as the steam to follow my dream
Come on guys, I think you're being a little harsh on Noel.

I mean who HASN'T committed domestic battery before, and also previously having suckerpunched someone while on camera in the middle of a videogame tournament. I certainly have.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
hey he was wearing a cast and walking with crutches, he was pretty much asking to be punched
Is he above taking the bus or something? Greyhound is $160 from miami to NY.
Is that $500 for bail? If its not, what kind of genius travels without money to come home?

Fauxtool fucked around with this message at 07:46 on Jul 2, 2013

Arrowsmith
Feb 6, 2006

SAGANISTA!

Brett824 posted:

Come on guys, I think you're being a little harsh on Noel.

I mean who HASN'T committed domestic battery before, and also previously having suckerpunched hit-confirmed someone while on camera in the middle of a videogame tournament. I certainly have.

Ashenai
Oct 5, 2005

You taught me language;
and my profit on't
Is, I know how to curse.
Wait, is this the thing where Noel Brown punched SmoothViper? Wasn't that like two years ago? Did he do it again? What the poo poo?

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Ashenai posted:

Wait, is this the thing where Noel Brown punched SmoothViper? Wasn't that like two years ago? Did he do it again? What the poo poo?

I heard he stormed into a room with his ex getting busy with some other player (rayray?) and he punched them both.
His mug shot

Police report says
Battery (domestic Violence)
bond set at 0.00 so im not sure what the $500 being asked for is

After this, Smoothviper and his threatening of Keits at Evo, why hasnt he been banned from road to evo tournaments?
When the girl/guy ratio is at best 1:15 im surprised this doesnt happen more often

Fauxtool fucked around with this message at 08:15 on Jul 2, 2013

Ashenai
Oct 5, 2005

You taught me language;
and my profit on't
Is, I know how to curse.
"Brown told police that he believed he was still in a relationship with his ex when he discovered her with the other player."

Just that one sentence speaks volumes.

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Pwning the incels with my waifu fg character. Get trolled :twisted:
Lipstick Apathy

Fauxtool posted:

After this, Smoothviper and his threatening of Keits at Evo, why hasnt he been banned from road to evo tournaments?

This is what I'm wondering. How many times does Noel have to illustrate what a shithead he is before someone believes him?

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
someone needs to print out his mugshot and make masks to wear at EVO

Arrowsmith
Feb 6, 2006

SAGANISTA!

Player got played.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Hey now, I've actually been in that position before, sort of. Was in a long distance relationship, found out the girl had been seeing someone else for a few months. When I confronted her about it, she said "We broke up 6 months ago!".

Super Rad
Feb 15, 2003
Sir Loin of Beef

I've been around enough trashy relationships to know that, sadly, Noel could actually be right. Some people just thrive on meaningless drama.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Super Rad posted:

I've been around enough trashy relationships to know that, sadly, Noel could actually be right. Some people just thrive on meaningless drama.

You are never in the right if you commit domestic violence.

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

What? Nobody ever said he was right to hit her.

Warm Woolen Pants
Jan 13, 2008

If you know what I mean...
LI Joe weighs in!

quote:

I bet you 70% of your fathers clocked your mom at least once in the time they been together. poo poo happens emotions happen accidents happen

gently caress you, Joe.

may contain peanuts
Sep 28, 2007

WOW what a grate sports paly by the 49rs (better than seahawks)
I didn't realize LI Joe was a dumb piece of poo poo. That's good to know.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
Here watch a new F2P fighting game instead:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MIa7BapLlz4

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?

may contain peanuts posted:

I didn't realize LI Joe was a dumb piece of poo poo. That's good to know.

He goes on to say that his point is that people should stop harping on the subject and saying what should happen now ad let Noel deal with it, but yeah that was a really stupid way to lead up to it. Trying to downplay the situation just makes things look worse.

PunkBoy fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Jul 2, 2013

brian
Sep 11, 2001
I obtained this title through beard tax.

Fauxtool posted:

When the girl/guy ratio is at best 1:15 im surprised this doesnt happen more often

I can understand the other two things (although i've never heard of this keits thing), but this incident has bugger all to do with fighting games, it's a personal issue between the involved parties who just happened to have done it at a fighting game event. I don't think it's anywhere close to Evo's place to be deciding who and who is not worthy to play in tournaments unless they are actively likely to cause an issue at that tournament. I don't really get why people think Evo is meant to regulate the FGC, it should regulate itself and its affiliated tournaments like it did with the yellow carding at PowerUp and whatnot, but they shouldn't be the FGC's morality police like with the whole Aris debacle. If people didn't keep extrapolating the isolated and rare actions of individuals into these grandiose endemic problems it wouldn't be an issue, but nah gently caress that we gotta get ahead of this before Kotaku sensationalises it and I have to explain to my dad that I don't like beating up women because I beat a guy who played chun li this one time.

Brett824
Mar 30, 2009

I could let these dreamkillers kill my self esteem or use the arrogance as the steam to follow my dream
If there's one thing I hate about the FGC it's that after any controversy, every completely unrelated douche revs up the damage control engines to try to make the FGC look positive. Tweets/pastebins with writeups about "how to fix the FGC" and things telling the FGC to "step it up", tweets about the "REAL NEWS" from the weekend with links to articles about the positive aspects of the event, and every FGC news website dumping their back catalog of charitable and heartwarming things that the FGC has done in the form of rushed articles.

That being said, this writeup is still pretty fantastic and well written.

Super Rad
Feb 15, 2003
Sir Loin of Beef

Waterbed posted:

You are never in the right if you commit domestic violence.

Woah yeah I never said that. I meant that, sadly, Noel and this lady may indeed still be in a relationship after he struck her.

Arikado
May 9, 2008

Wow, I really like Joe, but this is one of the dumbest loving things I've ever read.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Arikado posted:

Wow, I really like Joe, but this is one of the dumbest loving things I've ever read.

If you knew LI Joe, it wouldn't really surprise you.

He's a pretty stand up guy with everything but gender issues.

• Locked thread