Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Heads up: Due to their digital summer sale, TSW is currently :10bux: on Amazon.

If you don't want to spend that without trying the game first, ask here and someone can give you a trial key.

orcane fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Jun 30, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JayJay
Jun 16, 2005

TEHHHHHH Jetplane!

orcane posted:

If you don't want to spend that without trying the game first, ask here and someone can give you a trial key.

:hellyeah: I was going to wait until the steam summer sale and have to go without it for a while after my trial.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
EVERY loving TIME I LOAD I GET A GOD drat ITEM DELIVERY NOTIFICATION! I've already loving grabbed my issues, but apparently I STILL HAVE TO GRAB THEM! Is there a way to get this notification to loving go away forever because holy poo poo it's obnoxious!

Allatum
Feb 20, 2008

Pillbug

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

EVERY loving TIME I LOAD I GET A GOD drat ITEM DELIVERY NOTIFICATION! I've already loving grabbed my issues, but apparently I STILL HAVE TO GRAB THEM! Is there a way to get this notification to loving go away forever because holy poo poo it's obnoxious!

You can delete it. It doesn't do anything bad if you've already grabbed it. Also you'll probably be annoyed once you don't have anything to spend AP/SP on if this bothers you so much.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Yeah, it does bug me that they constantly pop up. I save up points fairly regularly and it drives me nuts. But it's more frustrating with something I already did popping back up over and over for some reason. Is there a magical no-notifications UI mod?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

Yeah, it does bug me that they constantly pop up. I save up points fairly regularly and it drives me nuts. But it's more frustrating with something I already did popping back up over and over for some reason. Is there a magical no-notifications UI mod?

There was but I dunno if it's been updated in awhile. I had to uninstall a couple mods the other day because they weren't compatible with the new dressing room and caused options to just not show up in the menu so who knows what that could gently caress up.

A A 2 3 5 8 K
Nov 24, 2003
Illiteracy... what does that word even mean?

orcane posted:

Looks interesting. Could I get a trial key?

Slig
Mar 30, 2010

A A 2 3 5 8 K posted:

Looks interesting. Could I get a trial key?

GK9LJJZ63REQKY956PW7

Pop that into register.thesecretworld.com

Marx
Oct 24, 2003

This was the greatest day of my life. Finally I could stand on my soapbox and tell you American scum that you got exactly what you deserved.
P.S. Sorry Osama that Americans were not compassionate enough to take you in peacefully. You deserved better.
Here: E5FFKENXQNZBNZ7VN9ES

Or for whoever wants it since I'm slow.

A A 2 3 5 8 K
Nov 24, 2003
Illiteracy... what does that word even mean?

Slig posted:

GK9LJJZ63REQKY956PW7

Pop that into register.thesecretworld.com

Thanks!

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

orcane posted:

:downs: Boy do I feel even more silly for having splurged and set the game to download overnight now. :20bux: you shall be missed.

Nombres
Jul 16, 2009

Kyrosiris posted:

The way I do it, I do the minimum of puzzling to where I get what the gimmick the mission wants you to know, and then I google it afterwards.

As an Illuminati, it feels fitting in-character. "Oh, okay, it wants this, I'll google it on my loving smart phone. :v:"

I recently blasted through the investigation missions that came with the six issues so far, and this is what I did - especially the musical puzzles, since I'm tone deaf as gently caress. Also Hell and Bach. I got what they wanted, but honestly I'm not going to sit there for an hour and link up the letters to the runes and puzzle out the meanings of the runes whose letters they didn't give me.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
So, PvP exp gain seems hosed.

I just wanted to do enough to unlock the Basic PvP Armor Models. So I started running El Dorado's/Stonehenges. After 6 horrible soulcrushing losses in which we got base camped, I now have just over 1000 exp.

I need 50,000. And apparently 4 more ranks after that.

This seems to be a horrible grind even to just unlock the basic stuff, am I missing something, or is this just poor planning in action.

Nombres
Jul 16, 2009

Rookersh posted:

I just wanted to do enough to unlock the Basic PvP Armor Models. So I started running El Dorado's/Stonehenges. After 6 horrible soulcrushing losses in which we got base camped, I now have just over 1000 exp.

This seems to be a horrible grind even to just unlock the basic stuff, am I missing something, or is this just poor planning in action.

I can't say anything about PvP specifically, but beyond a certain point - say, beyond the story missions which while not short necessarily but still - the game becomes one of grinding in general. Grind Elites for Q10 blues to get into NMs, grind NMs to get bullion and Q10.5 purples or whatever for Raids, and so on.

Also, as far as I've seen, PvP is probably one of the most neglected parts of the game. I could be wrong, but it seems like the developers have always been on the side of PvE when it comes to actually changing things up.

Variable Haircut
Jan 25, 2012

Rookersh posted:

Yeah, the top tier requires 200 of those little tokens. And I am currently up to 70 out of those 200, not including what I already spent to get the first tiers. The easiest way I have found to get pvp xp is to use the fight clubs with a willing opponent who doesn't mind getting beaten up for an hour. In the mini zones you get 30 xp per kill, in fight clubs you get 100 (-5 per kill).

^^Pvp is the reason for every major ability nerf since the game went live. But they can't get the actual pvp mini games to work and be enjoyable to anyone other then the 10.5.5's running around inside.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
PvP definitely isn't 'neglected' in this game, they're trying very hard to make it work. It just isn't.

If anything we'd all probably benefit from it being neglected, at lest it wouldn't be causing a bunch of largely unwarranted nerfs.

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012

Nombres posted:

I recently blasted through the investigation missions that came with the six issues so far, and this is what I did - especially the musical puzzles, since I'm tone deaf as gently caress. Also Hell and Bach. I got what they wanted, but honestly I'm not going to sit there for an hour and link up the letters to the runes and puzzle out the meanings of the runes whose letters they didn't give me.

Hell and Bach was the one I was thinking of most. That one is just... tedious. Well done, clever but repeating the puzzle 3 times makes it a chore.

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

#vmp #opsec #kolmiloikka #happoo

NihilVerumNisiMors posted:

Hell and Bach was the one I was thinking of most. That one is just... tedious. Well done, clever but repeating the puzzle 3 times makes it a chore.

Brute forcing is really bad puzzle design. I hated Hell and Bach for that too.

Another type of puzzle which I'm not overly fancy about are the ones which are very heavy on translations. I recall one in Transylvania which has tons and ton of Romanian text, and that comes out very incorrectly out of google translate. Even if you go all they way trying to translate that poo poo and painfully copy paste the numerous special characters into your translate tool, you end up with gibberish from which it's hard to pick up any clues.

Also, :ohdear:

Zephonith
Jun 25, 2008

Maybe if I actually played Mafia, I'd get a better gift from my Mafia Secret Santa. :(
New page, new horse adventures

Grakkus
Sep 4, 2011

Marx posted:

Here: E5FFKENXQNZBNZ7VN9ES

Or for whoever wants it since I'm slow.

Took this one. Thanks!

UrbanLabyrinth
Jan 28, 2009

When my eyes were stabbed by the flash of a neon light
That split the night
And touched the sound of silence

College Slice
I created one for Section Z, but he bought it before activating the key, so here it is for anyone who wants it: N3XQ639258JQN9YQFZFB

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

HughGRect posted:

Yeah, the top tier requires 200 of those little tokens. And I am currently up to 70 out of those 200, not including what I already spent to get the first tiers. The easiest way I have found to get pvp xp is to use the fight clubs with a willing opponent who doesn't mind getting beaten up for an hour. In the mini zones you get 30 xp per kill, in fight clubs you get 100 (-5 per kill).

^^Pvp is the reason for every major ability nerf since the game went live. But they can't get the actual pvp mini games to work and be enjoyable to anyone other then the 10.5.5's running around inside.

Is it one token per Battle Rank? Or do you get more then that?

Variable Haircut
Jan 25, 2012
Looks like we are getting an anniversary event:

• There is a flare gun, no clue what it does.
  • A T-shirt
  • Nine bosses to kill, with titles. The theme is guardians of Gaia.
  • 13 new pets - 1 for each of the bosses (no clue on drop rate yet, 4 others)
  • Some new lore
  • A ton of new clothes, not sure when they will get released.

^^^^^Every 10,000 xp is 5 tokens, sometimes it bugs out and gives 10. Every battle rank is 50,000xp.

Variable Haircut fucked around with this message at 14:16 on Jul 1, 2013

alfheimwanderer
Jun 1, 2011

Oh brave new world that hath such people in it...
Oh, and for the Anniversary Event, anyone who has ever played a Funcom title can play TSW for free (w/o client purchase) for a week.

Regarding the bosses...what I'm interested in is why we're supposed to "bring down" the Guardians of Gaia. I'm just hoping the world won't be as borked as with the Winter event.

Variable Haircut
Jan 25, 2012

alfheimwanderer posted:

Regarding the bosses...what I'm interested in is why we're supposed to "bring down" the Guardians of Gaia. I'm just hoping the world won't be as borked as with the Winter event.

Kirsten Geary says it best:

"We're getting reports that they've been showing up where the filth outbreaks have been most prevalent. Which means all of the wonderful hotspots you've been visiting recently.
Management thinks we already have enough competition for the title of Last Man Standing after the apocalypse. If you see any more of those things, get rid of them. They're about as effective at saving the world as buying a Prius and they're almost as annoying.
We want to remain the dominant loving parasite."

midoriyourself
May 30, 2013

HughGRect posted:

Kirsten Geary says it best:

"We're getting reports that they've been showing up where the filth outbreaks have been most prevalent. Which means all of the wonderful hotspots you've been visiting recently.
Management thinks we already have enough competition for the title of Last Man Standing after the apocalypse. If you see any more of those things, get rid of them. They're about as effective at saving the world as buying a Prius and they're almost as annoying.
We want to remain the dominant loving parasite."

I wish she would marry me. :allears:

JayJay
Jun 16, 2005

TEHHHHHH Jetplane!

Fewd posted:

Brute forcing is really bad puzzle design. I hated Hell and Bach for that too.

Oh yea, I did that loving puzzle yesterday. Even following a guide it was annoying and tedious.

Nombres
Jul 16, 2009
Some of the investigation missions are intriguing and require some interesting bit of knowledge or a sideways leap. Hell and Bach was not one of them, and the music puzzles certainly loving aren't. Whoever decides to add another musical puzzle should be shot.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

HughGRect posted:

Looks like we are getting an anniversary event:

• There is a flare gun, no clue what it does.
  • A T-shirt
  • Nine bosses to kill, with titles. The theme is guardians of Gaia.
  • 13 new pets - 1 for each of the bosses (no clue on drop rate yet, 4 others)
  • Some new lore
  • A ton of new clothes, not sure when they will get released.

^^^^^Every 10,000 xp is 5 tokens, sometimes it bugs out and gives 10. Every battle rank is 50,000xp.

Sweet. Any word on when it goes live?

Marx
Oct 24, 2003

This was the greatest day of my life. Finally I could stand on my soapbox and tell you American scum that you got exactly what you deserved.
P.S. Sorry Osama that Americans were not compassionate enough to take you in peacefully. You deserved better.

guppy posted:

While everyone is out of the office for the long forth of july weekend.

Killsion
Feb 16, 2011

Templars Rock.

guppy posted:

New Letter indicates July 8th.

Anniversary Event from July 3-7.

JayJay
Jun 16, 2005

TEHHHHHH Jetplane!

So I knew there was an SP cap, but for some reason I didn't think there was an AP cap. Hit it and lost a few points after a huge investigation mission. :( I don't really understand the point of a cap, at least until you reach 100%, but oh well, time to start unlocking a bunch of stuff.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

You know, if you told me ahead of time that the Illuminati had a meme spouting quest giver, I'd probably roll my eyes but the fact that he delivers every line completely monotone somehow makes it amusing rather than annoying. :geno:

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Ibram Gaunt posted:

You know, if you told me ahead of time that the Illuminati had a meme spouting quest giver, I'd probably roll my eyes but the fact that he delivers every line completely monotone somehow makes it amusing rather than annoying. :geno:

Wait until you find out who he really is.

Variable Haircut
Jan 25, 2012

guppy posted:

The anniversary event starts on the 3rd and goes until the 7th or 8th. At the end of that event, 1.7 content goes live.

Now we need to get a group or two together to go out and kill all these guardians for the achievements.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Zephonith posted:

Yeah I wouldn't feel too bad about cheating on the investigation missions. To do them all without help, you'd need to be able to read musical notation, circuit diagrams, ISBN numbers, Futhark runes and Egyptian hieroglyphs, at a bare minimum.

Googling information relevant to the task at hand (ISBNs, circuit info, etc) isn't cheating and is how the game is meant to be played.

Googling the exact solution IS cheating and there's really no need for it.

Killsion
Feb 16, 2011

Templars Rock.

Ibram Gaunt posted:

The voice actor was completely unaware of all the memes he spouts as well so it really helped with the monotone delivery.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Captain Oblivious posted:

Googling information relevant to the task at hand (ISBNs, circuit info, etc) isn't cheating and is how the game is meant to be played.

Googling the exact solution IS cheating and there's really no need for it.
I don't know, I still enjoy investigation missions if I "get" them without going to find all the details myself. Stuff like translations from Latin to runes or Romanian to English is at some point just time consuming tedium. The same thing goes for getting the ISBN of a specific book they used among dozens of editions. Or actually playing Simon Says with a melody of up to 14 notes, three times in a row.

Zephonith
Jun 25, 2008

Maybe if I actually played Mafia, I'd get a better gift from my Mafia Secret Santa. :(
Well yeah, while it's possible to solo all the investigation missions without guides, personally I'd find that really unfun hours of frustration, so I don't. I'm playing a game, after all.

Not to mention guide usage isn't all or nothing - at least one site has different tiers of hints, and I know sometimes I just need a nudge in the right direction or confirmation that I'm just not doing [particular thing game wants me to do] right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
That being said, I do think the right way to do investigations (and play TSW in general) is as a duo. Investigation missions may well have been more frustrating if it wasn't a collaborative effort! Figuring it out together and talking it out was a lot of the fun of it.

• Locked thread