Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gorgo Primus
Mar 29, 2009

We shall forge the most progressive republic ever known to man!
It's probably also safe to assume they've kept the fallacy that Spain could/did send 50k troops to Tenochtitlan, fight one big battle in which they lose 10 Spanish soldiers for every 10k the Aztecs lost, and then annex the Empire with minimal resistance within a month and with no help from other natives; probably owing mainly to the Spaniards' clearly superior weapons which the Aztecs had no hope of matching and which decided every major battle with ease.

It'd probably help the entire colonial simulation in EU4 (for America and Africa both) if they choose to put some time into modeling the manner in which most of these colonies were gained - diplomacy and subterfuge (and in America disease) more so than declaring war on everyone and sending in legions of troops to 'paint the map'.

Asia appears to be much better modeled from the look of it though!

Gorgo Primus fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Jul 1, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010
Yeah I would buy EU4 in a heartbeat if it actually simulated the difficulties in shipping and maintaining armies across large bodies of water etc in this timeframe. But I can understand that such a mechanic may be be unfeasible due to the mechincs or lack of fun. Still...

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

WTF? I was just overthrown by communist rebels in Vicky II. There were a lot of them buy my armies were winning every battle and rolling over them. All of a sudden I get a popup saying their demands have been met and that I'm not a proletariat dictatorship? How did they pull that off if they lost 50 battles in a row?

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

Soylent Pudding posted:

WTF? I was just overthrown by communist rebels in Vicky II. There were a lot of them buy my armies were winning every battle and rolling over them. All of a sudden I get a popup saying their demands have been met and that I'm not a proletariat dictatorship? How did they pull that off if they lost 50 battles in a row?

Did you lose the capital?

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

Apparently I did. Had a huge army on way to liberate it too. Just seemed so abrupt. Rebels seems to work much faster than in EUIII

Grizzwold
Jan 27, 2012

Posters off the pork bow!

Soylent Pudding posted:

Apparently I did. Had a huge army on way to liberate it too. Just seemed so abrupt. Rebels seems to work much faster than in EUIII

Yeah, rebels work FAST now. Lose your capital? You've got a month to take it back before the rebels enforce their demands.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe
Boxer rebels are the worst in V2. Occupy any single province in all of China? The entire country collapses!

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...

Soylent Pudding posted:

Yeah I think a HoD patch dropped the time for rebels to take over to like 2 months or something. It's annoying if you don't know about the change, but I kinda like it because now you actually see the AI fall to rebels more often. I often saw in games of V2 prior to the change every nation either was a rock of stability never falling to rebels, or being such a broken shattered mess that they get overthrown once a year. The change means a nation that isn't broken beyond repair can still have rebellions and can even still stay a GP after them.

I kinda hope that V2 gets another expansion, or (better) when V3 is made, Paradox makes a DLC themed around the Russian Civil War, and overhauling rebels for it. Large rebellions can form their own rebel nations and fight using regular nation AI instead of the simplistic "rush the capital" rebel AI, as the rebellion drags on soldiers start defecting to various sides, add in other nice stuff like maybe Anarcho-Liberal flags or maybe another government type, etc. It could lead to fun situations where the player's nation enters a giant civil war with multiple sides, the player goes with say the Communist rebels, they end up the smallest rebel faction due to defections, but by sitting out on the fighting and keeping their head down, the player is able to wait for the Fascist and Monarchist factions to grind eachother to dust before swooping in, and uniting the nation. I think this would be more V3 material, but I just think half the fun of Victoria 2 is fighting your own people :v:.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

Grizzwold posted:

Yeah, rebels work FAST now. Lose your capital? You've got a month to take it back before the rebels enforce their demands.

My entire army was on the frontier gearing up for a war. I had a huge wave of tanks and infantry incoming, but no, the politicians had to surrender even though I was going through rebel stacks like nazis through france.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Soylent Pudding posted:

My entire army was on the frontier gearing up for a war. I had a huge wave of tanks and infantry incoming, but no, the politicians had to surrender even though I was going through rebel stacks like nazis through france.

You were stabbed in the back!!!

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Soylent Pudding posted:

Sounds like your country just got its own stab-in-the-back myth. :haw:

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

Guess I need to engineer a fascist uprising and then I will make the rest of South America burn. :Brazil:

az jan jananam
Sep 6, 2011
HI, I'M HARDCORE SAX HERE TO DROP A NICE JUICY TURD OF A POST FROM UP ON HIGH
Is there a rundown as to how to quickly Westernize in HoD? I'm starting a China game and I'm lost.

Westminster System
Jul 4, 2009
Update time!

I've spent the evening creating nations (some without OOB's, oops.) and making things 100% more ridiculous. I went through my old saves to see what colonial cultures ended up where before the flip and changed things around based on that. North and South America are, tentatively, done, foregoing feedback - I need flags and party names mostly (aside from the obvious events hole). I've even done the pops due to that awesome tool. This has lead to some hilarity, but all the pops are who they should be, relatively. Some are probably way too large but here's the sample!

South America:

North America, Check out the tooltip above the map, :swoon:

Thoughts & Feedback?

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Westminster System posted:

Update time!

I've spent the evening creating nations (some without OOB's, oops.) and making things 100% more ridiculous. I went through my old saves to see what colonial cultures ended up where before the flip and changed things around based on that. North and South America are, tentatively, done, foregoing feedback - I need flags and party names mostly (aside from the obvious events hole). I've even done the pops due to that awesome tool. This has lead to some hilarity, but all the pops are who they should be, relatively. Some are probably way too large but here's the sample!

South America:

Thoughts & Feedback?

I like it a lot! Are you planning on going whole hog on this scenario, including unique events and decisions and such?

I'd totally play this when you release it.

NEED TOILET PAPER
Mar 22, 2013

by XyloJW

az jan jananam posted:

Is there a rundown as to how to quickly Westernize in HoD? I'm starting a China game and I'm lost.

Conquer. Conquer everything. I went with Dai Nam since they were right next door, but I imagine it's cool to expand into central Asia as well. I do know that the Research Points I got from conquering Dai Nam alone were enough to see me through to Westernizing by something like 1860, but I was also careful to pick as many reforms as I could that capitalized on increasing the RP/annexed state ratio. In any case, your substates should have more than enough numbers to fight all your wars for you. Also, I don't think infamy counts if you're an unciv so you can just annex all your neighbors with reckless abandon.

Walliard
Dec 29, 2010

Oppan Windfall Style
Has there been any word on nations in EU4 being able to have different colours depending on who forms them? It's a minor thing to ask for and certainly not a deal breaker, but it's just so sad to see Aragonese Spain with Castilian colours.

Beet
Aug 24, 2003

NEED TOILET PAPER posted:

Conquer. Conquer everything. I went with Dai Nam since they were right next door, but I imagine it's cool to expand into central Asia as well. I do know that the Research Points I got from conquering Dai Nam alone were enough to see me through to Westernizing by something like 1860, but I was also careful to pick as many reforms as I could that capitalized on increasing the RP/annexed state ratio. In any case, your substates should have more than enough numbers to fight all your wars for you. Also, I don't think infamy counts if you're an unciv so you can just annex all your neighbors with reckless abandon.

No, GB will still declare on you if you end up bordering them. Just be careful not to go over on infamy until you have 100s of regular troops and you should be fine.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Update time!

South America:

Thoughts & Feedback?

The only thing I'd be inclined to change is the name 'United States of America', as it feels a little too 'our timeline' to me. Especially as the bulk of the pivotal territories (Boston, New York, most of the South) belongs to other nations. Maybe The Republic of the Delaware, or The Atlantic Republic, or The Potomac Federation, or something?

Who knows if the continent is even ~called~ America in this world?

Just a nitpicky thing. :shobon:

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Even though CK2 is leaps and bounds better than previous efforts, I wish Paradox could still improve the name generators used in their games even further. I just got my hands on the third edition of The Oxford Dictionary of English Christian Names, and the Puritan names mentioned just in the introduction are making me wish there was a way for naming patterns and preferences to change in reaction to certain conditions (ex: A Englishman born in a 17th century Republican Dictatorship is more likely to be named Zelophehad or Much-Merceye than an Englishman born in a 15th-century monarchy) because dude, 'Zelophehad' totally needs to appear in a video game now.

I also learned that Puritan names can be used by cruel fathers to great effect, and so doubly wish to see Puritan names appear somehow.

Westminster System
Jul 4, 2009

Fintilgin posted:

The only thing I'd be inclined to change is the name 'United States of America', as it feels a little too 'our timeline' to me. Especially as the bulk of the pivotal territories (Boston, New York, most of the South) belongs to other nations. Maybe The Republic of the Delaware, or The Atlantic Republic, or The Potomac Federation, or something?

Who knows if the continent is even ~called~ America in this world?

Just a nitpicky thing. :shobon:

You're definitely right on that, I just havn't gotten around to changing it like I did Canada (Borealia). The US's Capital is in Dover, Delaware, so that's a thought.

Any idea's for new names are welcomed.

Pakled posted:

I like it a lot! Are you planning on going whole hog on this scenario, including unique events and decisions and such?

I'd totally play this when you release it.

If I could write events and decisions - yes, even if I can't - I'll do my best to rip out anything that causes weirdness so people get blank slates to mess with. If the worst comes to the worst and I can't get a handle on events or no-one joins me, I might end up hack-jobbing things from other places and giving credit where due.

For now, I'll see if Charity works out.

You can grab the mod from the post on the vicky2 forum if you want to poke around at what I've done so far and provide feedback that way. Obviously everything is screwy and half the nations I added have no military units at the start - and the one's that do probably can't support them. Suggestions on good file hosts also appreciated.

BillBear
Mar 13, 2013

Ask me about running my country straight into the ground every time I play EU4 multiplayer.
Bit let down that a tier 3 nation gets flavour events before the others. But i can see why they would do it, with the amount of byz fans on the forums.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

You're definitely right on that, I just havn't gotten around to changing it like I did Canada (Borealia). The US's Capital is in Dover, Delaware, so that's a thought.

Which colonists are the basis for this USA again? Under what conditions did they revolt? Those conditions are good ones to look at when conjuring up a new name.

Westminster System
Jul 4, 2009

Ofaloaf posted:

Which colonists are the basis for this USA again? Under what conditions did they revolt? Those conditions are good ones to look at when conjuring up a new name.

British, primarily, with Spain thrown in, so its mostly historic. Spain let its colonies go because it was collapsing at the time.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

British, primarily, with Spain thrown in, so its mostly historic. Spain let its colonies go because it was collapsing at the time.
'Virginia' or 'Republic of the Potomac' or even 'Columbia' might do the job. If you wanted to go balls-to-the-walls crazy, "[government type] of [ideal]" or "[ideal_adj] [government type] of [placename]" can be fun. "Union of Liberty", "Free Commonwealth of the Potomac", "Grangers' Republic of Batshit", etc.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Thoughts & Feedback?

You could stand to use less "Republic of" and "Kingdom of" as country names. For instance, in the vanilla scenario you'd see Argentina, Brazil, Colombia, and not Republic of Argentina, Kingdom of Brazil, Republic of Colombia. It's fine sometimes (I like Republic of Avalon for instance), but done too much it starts to look clunky.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

drat, that's some nice work for a single day. I'm going to give it a quick run through and see what I find. I assume the Inca is the dominant power of the continent?

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

Ofaloaf posted:

'Virginia' or 'Republic of the Potomac' or even 'Columbia' might do the job. If you wanted to go balls-to-the-walls crazy, "[government type] of [ideal]" or "[ideal_adj] [government type] of [placename]" can be fun. "Union of Liberty", "Free Commonwealth of the Potomac", "Grangers' Republic of Batshit", etc.

Virginia or Columbia sound great

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

Ofaloaf posted:

I actually really like Union of Liberty. It's pretty much as close as you can get to naming it "Eagleland" while still being serious.

Westminster System
Jul 4, 2009

ZearothK posted:

drat, that's some nice work for a single day. I'm going to give it a quick run through and see what I find. I assume the Inca is the dominant power of the continent?

Xin Kishai should be able to handle them, if not necessarily beat them outright. The colonial nations are religiously at odds with one another though, so "RP wise" the Inca only really need to worry about a Maya/Zapotec Alliance or Xin Kishai calling in a billion more chinese people. In South America though, definitely in favour of the Inca.

Unsurprisingly, since I stripped New England's industrial base from the US (balancing it nicely I feel) North America looks pretty balanced, even if Vinland has like a million angry norwegians in it.

I'll note these names down for the US and do a pot luck later.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

The US's Capital is in Dover, Delaware, so that's a thought.

I'm partial to just naming the whole country Delaware :v:

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe

ThatBasqueGuy posted:

I actually really like Union of Liberty. It's pretty much as close as you can get to naming it "Eagleland" while still being serious.

Empire of Liberty. -Thomas Jeffersonn

Kersch
Aug 22, 2004
I like this internet
Is there any solid info regarding how many research points you gain when doing conquests as an unciv?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Kersch posted:

Is there any solid info regarding how many research points you gain when doing conquests as an unciv?

Darkrenown posted that it's the per-day RP production of the conquered state * 365 days * 25% per military reform

If the state you just conquered produces 2 RP per day and you have 3 of the 4 military reforms, then that works out to 547.5 RP

Unfortunately I don't think there's really a way to peek into the RP production of any given state, so at best you have to just eyeball taking populated areas instead of tracts of desert.

Kersch
Aug 22, 2004
I like this internet

gradenko_2000 posted:

Darkrenown posted that it's the per-day RP production of the conquered state * 365 days * 25% per military reform

If the state you just conquered produces 2 RP per day and you have 3 of the 4 military reforms, then that works out to 547.5 RP

Unfortunately I don't think there's really a way to peek into the RP production of any given state, so at best you have to just eyeball taking populated areas instead of tracts of desert.

Oh, nice. This is exactly what I was looking for. There's pretty much no point in conquering anything if you have no military reforms, then.

Bulgaroktonos
Aug 24, 2010

by Lowtax
A question, since I missed most of it.

I looked over the Paradox Forum, and the inhabitants were up in arms over the Magna Mundi cancellation; I'm a bit unclear. What was the difference between MM and a regular EU3 mod?

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Bulgaroktonos posted:

I looked over the Paradox Forum, and the inhabitants were up in arms over the Magna Mundi cancellation; I'm a bit unclear. What was the difference between MM and a regular EU3 mod?

25 different pirates and people poo poo-talking you behind your back. (I actually missed most of it too)

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Bulgaroktonos posted:

MM:TG was a standalone game that was being released and cancelled, it wasn't a mod.

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

uPen posted:

MM:TG was a standalone game that was being released and cancelled, it wasn't a mod.

It was also looking like a turd, both literally and figuratively.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

csm141
Jul 19, 2010

i care, i'm listening, i can help you without giving any advice
Pillbug

I found it, the best colony rename in Miscmod.

• Locked thread