Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
victrix
Oct 30, 2007

I just realized I'd kill puppies for a game exactly like KoDP but set in the Malazan fiction

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
I'd kill kittens for a game just like it but set in the old, crazy version of the Elder Scrolls setting.

I want a netch farm, drat it.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

I love it when this thread moves fast, there's so many cool little things people talk about that I've never noticed before. Or people bring in cool universe stuff unrelated to the game and all I want to do is buy a bunch of rulebooks and absorb everything Glorantha :allears:

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Ephemeron posted:

Nope, still there.

Oh killer, I dunno what malaise my lovely memory was under.

Penguingo posted:

Tulip you must do this. I was just thinking today that I really really wish there was a Glorantha lore thread going on.

Truthfully it'd probably be less work to do a Glorantha PnP game, ala Grey Hunter's threads. And you'd get to show off how utterly rad more of Glorantha's mythos is to boot.

Flame112
Apr 21, 2011

BlindGuy posted:

Double post: I had a new scene, though am not sure if it was in this update or an earlier one.

Someone came to sell me duck eggs. I bought them, and the ducks came demanding them back. We refused, and attacked the weird duck Humakti who wounded everybody before being struck down by our chief. The ducks turned the eggs into giant unhatched stink bombs.

I had that event and it played out exactly the same. I wonder if there's any way to actually raise them?

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Penguingo posted:

I don't think I've ever explored other tulas. Am I missing out by not doing this?

No I think this is new. The only reason I was even exploring their tula is because they were that late-to-the-party clan that asks to cross your tula and then settles way off in the exploration mist to the north-east, verging on Cragspider territory. (Which begs the question of why they needed to traverse your tula when they were coming from Heortland, but whatevs.) So I thought I'd go see what was up with them, and they acted like a bunch of jerks.

If I recall correctly, I've occasionally been attacked by unfriendly clans while adventuring in their vicinity, but this is exactly the same as being attacked by bandits, just with the clan name instead of "bandits." Most exploration of settled areas just ends up showing you the stupid bark shaman anyway.

By far my favourite exploration event is the creepy loving hand-face man who kidnaps one of your party and cuts his hand off up in the Stinking Forest. Really hard to trigger, and I hadn't seen it since I was playing the game as a kid, leading me to wonder if I'd imagined it. I asked the KODP account on Twitter and they confirmed it still existed and eventually I managed to trigger it on the ios version.

edit - actually Thadart has got to be the best because of the cascade chain.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Just had the new event where the troll woman shows up and challenges you to a duel. Except it turns out she means an eating contest. I presume if you nominate your trickster it's possible to win?

15 years later the writing for this game is still hilariously great. "If I win you give me much food. And goose."

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

freebooter posted:

Just had the new event where the troll woman shows up and challenges you to a duel. Except it turns out she means an eating contest. I presume if you nominate your trickster it's possible to win?

15 years later the writing for this game is still hilariously great. "If I win you give me much food. And goose."

A poster talked about this a few pages back and yes, if you nominate your trickster he will win handily.

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

Orlanthi Math and Biology, as told by my advisors:

My queen at the end of my last game:

Also, who is this clown and what has he done with my trickster:

Normaly I listen to tricksters, but in this case, we have to re-enact the heroquest of the melancholy weaponthane.

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

crazypeltast52 posted:

Also, who is this clown and what has he done with my trickster:

Normaly I listen to tricksters, but in this case, we have to re-enact the heroquest of the melancholy weaponthane.

Last option is obviously the right one, especially for 67-yr old lady

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
Gog.com's got this on for $1.50 for the next... twenty and a half hours, in case anyone reading this thread doesn't actually have a copy (for shame), or anyone else has been looking for an excuse to give it to friends for the 1st or 4th of July or something.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Tulip posted:

This game is amazing to me as an academic. That detail about gay Humaktis makes so much sense in the context of "The Future is Kids Stuff" by Edelman (basically Queer Ethics is about destroying reproduction and death and poo poo), the Pharaoh is a fantastic example of a Sahlinsian Stranger King, it's all so fantastic.

I'd consider doing a KODP LP but i'd really want to show off a MAX HUNTING clan and that would basically require making GBS threads all over the participation element since voters are all basically grayn-lyfe.
Huh. I thought I knew poo poo, but it turns out I don't know poo poo at all. Do an LP so you can explain this poo poo to me us.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
MAX HUNTING is surprisingly good if you have an oversized tula and are a war clan. Skirmishing becomes ridiculously overpowered. (most of the time, at least)

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

Pyromancer posted:

Last option is obviously the right one, especially for 67-yr old lady

The best part is that the wedding stuff talks about her children, so either Dragon Pass is ruled by pure Orlanthi, or she manages to have a child at that age.

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back

crazypeltast52 posted:

The best part is that the wedding stuff talks about her children, so either Dragon Pass is ruled by pure Orlanthi, or she manages to have a child at that age.

I'd chalk it up to a divine miracle. I mean, there are two Gods supporting them.

Alternately, adoption.

Flame112
Apr 21, 2011
Fuuuuuck, just had my tribal king get killed by the Brass Man. I even brought him a treasure as a gift! I should've made friends with the dwarves earlier, I suppose.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

Flame112 posted:

Fuuuuuck, just had my tribal king get killed by the Brass Man. I even brought him a treasure as a gift! I should've made friends with the dwarves earlier, I suppose.

Drawves are not for making friends with. They don't make friends with people. They make something else with people.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
I don't know isilden was quite nice to me when I found dwarf-mine and gave them my humakt sword.

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I enjoy the sight of humans on their knees.
That was a joke... unless..?

Flame112 posted:

Did you bring warriors with you?

As far as dwarves are concerned, a lone man without a retinue cannot be a king, and a non-king who shows up to a meeting scheduled for kings is a troublemaker to be shot on sight.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Ephemeron posted:

Did you bring warriors with you?

As far as dwarves are concerned, a lone man without a retinue cannot be a king, and a non-king who shows up to a meeting scheduled for kings is a troublemaker to be shot on sight.

It's basically the dwarf going 'does not compute' since they're more or less mechanomagical cyborgs by this point

Flame112
Apr 21, 2011
I brought warriors and a treasure. Maybe he didn't like my treasure? I forget what I brought him.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
I don't think the treasure matters so long as it's something better than a spirit fetch. You probably had too low of a relationship with the dwarves (although it's kind of hard to antagonize them unless you do so deliberately. Did you explore their area a lot? They don't like that)

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos

The Cheshire Cat posted:

I don't think the treasure matters so long as it's something better than a spirit fetch. You probably had too low of a relationship with the dwarves (although it's kind of hard to antagonize them unless you do so deliberately. Did you explore their area a lot? They don't like that)

It does, bring a dwarf treasure and they kill you for illegal trading.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe

whowhatwhere posted:

I'd chalk it up to a divine miracle. I mean, there are two Gods supporting them.

Alternately, adoption.

Any time triplets happen, whether it be cows or children, the chieftan gets one. Old tradition.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Guess who found some Eurmal stories!

http://www.soltakss.com/indextales.html#TalesofEurmal

Seriously, they are just fantastic.

BlindGuy
Feb 27, 2011

The Prophet

The Cheshire Cat posted:

I don't know, I brought them Arim's cup once and they shot me to death. Generally, I'd say you're better with a treasure than without.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
You can just roll lovely and lose that quest like almost any other. Reload the previous year and you'll advance most likely.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

nucleicmaxid posted:

You can just roll lovely and lose that quest like almost any other. Reload the previous year and you'll advance most likely.

Yeah, it's worth keeping in mind that the game manual actually recommends savescumming once you're in the endgame. They were aware that the endgame is a bit wonky and doesn't quite play by the same rules as the rest of the game (in which you can recover from almost any isolated failure, and the really big catastrophes don't happen without prior warning), so you shouldn't necessarily feel obliged to play fair either.

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

https://twitter.com/kingdragonpass/status/353588131632644099

New art on the etsy shop!

None of it involved ducks however...

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

Doubleposting, because there's another batch of art on the etsy shop. The last batch sold quickly, so if you want original event art, you might want to check it out sooner, rather than later.

amiantos
Oct 19, 2012
Sorry if this has been covered, but I grabbed the GOG copy of the game and I'm using the "-w" flag to force it to run in windowed mode, but when it does there's a huge black square around the game in the window so if I shrink the window down the game basically disappears. I'm not sure why this is happening.

Does anyone have an idea?

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

amiantos posted:

Sorry if this has been covered, but I grabbed the GOG copy of the game and I'm using the "-w" flag to force it to run in windowed mode, but when it does there's a huge black square around the game in the window so if I shrink the window down the game basically disappears. I'm not sure why this is happening.

Does anyone have an idea?

I have the exact same issue. This would be a great windowed game, so if anyone knows how to fix it it would be much appreciated.

amiantos
Oct 19, 2012

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I have the exact same issue. This would be a great windowed game, so if anyone knows how to fix it it would be much appreciated.

I had a hunch so I tried this: I set the shortcut's compatability settings back to "Force 640x480" or whatever it is, then launched the game. The game launched in a proper window without the black border. Then I set my screen resolution back to what it should be. Done! (I had to manually resize the inner-window in mTropolis a little after to get everything to show. It looks like mTropolis launches at the resolution the main screen is set at, adding a big black letterboxing border, which is why launching at 640x480 fixes it, or even 800x600 would make most of the border go away.)

ihatepants
Nov 5, 2011

Let the burning of pants commence. These things drive me nuts.

If anyone still doesn't have it, King of Dragon Pass for iOS is now just $4.99.

JanPospisil
Jul 27, 2013

Ask me about Verethragna!
Hello, everyone!

Stats on Etsy tell me there's been a lot of people visiting my art shop from the SA forums. I couldn't find any threads linking to the store, but I saw this KoDP one.
So, I've recently done some art for the iOS version of the game and it's been selling quite well. (as KoDP art tends to do)

No ducks, I'm afraid. :( Still, if you're interested in owning (more, in case of some of you ;)) art from the game, check it here:

http://www.etsy.com/shop/JanPospisilArt

edit:

Oh, that new event Freebooter screencapped on the previous page, I did that. And that piece is gone, was the first to sell actually. Yeah, my scenes look different to the ones Stefano and the other artists did, but I did try to stay as close as possible. Stefano's watercolors were what attracted me to the game initially, it's just an amazing thing of beauty. ;)

JanPospisil fucked around with this message at 09:49 on Jul 27, 2013

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

JanPospisil posted:

Hello, everyone!

Stats on Etsy tell me there's been a lot of people visiting my art shop from the SA forums. I couldn't find any threads linking to the store, but I saw this KoDP one.
So, I've recently done some art for the iOS version of the game and it's been selling quite well. (as KoDP art tends to do)

No ducks, I'm afraid. :( Still, if you're interested in owning (more, in case of some of you ;)) art from the game, check it here:

http://www.etsy.com/shop/JanPospisilArt

edit:

Oh, that new event Freebooter screencapped on the previous page, I did that. And that piece is gone, was the first to sell actually. Yeah, my scenes look different to the ones Stefano and the other artists did, but I did try to stay as close as possible. Stefano's watercolors were what attracted me to the game initially, it's just an amazing thing of beauty. ;)

Dat tree! I don't even know what the Gloranthan lore is with regards to the elves, but I know they are bad tree people that semd trees to impede my crops.

JanPospisil
Jul 27, 2013

Ask me about Verethragna!
Yes, the elves are quite nasty sometimes. I'm just now painting the "Aldryami" colour plate for the Guide to Glorantha and it's very much non-Tolkienian elf-style.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

I've never had that bear event before, anyone else had it?

Also, the elves are basically one of the first people, and they really want to have the green age (when everything was plants) back. Their main god Flamal was killed by, I think, the troll avenger (argath something or other) and so there is no love lost between either the trolls, elves and dwarves.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

JanPospisil posted:

Yes, the elves are quite nasty sometimes. I'm just now painting the "Aldryami" colour plate for the Guide to Glorantha and it's very much non-Tolkienian elf-style.

Hi Jan, great to have you here but don't sign your posts - it'll get you probated.

Actually it might not have been a signature in which case ignore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Man I always like it when someone involved with any of the creative process comes into these kinds of threads. Always nice to get some interesting details.

• Locked thread