Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SuperDucky
May 13, 2007

by exmarx

Lowclock posted:

What car, software, and cable are you using? Have you been able to read DME stuff?

I have a serial to 20 pin with a 20pin to OBDII for newer cars. I purchased that compilation of INPA and Edibias(sp?) on Bf.C and have it running on a win xp dell with native serial. The weird thing is it works, but only for some cars. For instance: e36 m3 obdII? Nothing. Buddy's e36/7 M roady? Most things work with a few exceptions. e39, I have yet to find a feature that doesn't work.

Baffling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lowclock
Oct 26, 2005
Sorry I should have asked what kind of interface, too. If it's something like a VAGCOM KKL clone you might have to modify it to connect the second K line. Also, if it has a 20 pin under the hood then you have to use that and not the OBD2 port, which is everything up to like 2002 if I remember right.

THE BLACK NINJA
Mar 9, 2010
I don't know if this link will take y'all directly to photo #4 but either way.. Green BMW of death at the pikes peak race. Yes, it was hailing and yes, it was awesome.

http://photos.denverpost.com/2013/06/30/photos-pikes-peak-international-hill-climb/

SeñorMisterioso
Nov 4, 2003
El muy misterioso
Someone convince me not to trade my 2004 325Ci / 5speed, which I have already dumped so much cash into for maintenance and upgrades, to buy this http://stognerautosales.bestusedcarmarket.com/web_display/view/11074480

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

BMW owners... How did you choose between the 1 and 3 Series?

Stardotstar
Jun 2, 2012

SeñorMisterioso posted:

Someone convince me not to trade my 2004 325Ci / 5speed, which I have already dumped so much cash into for maintenance and upgrades, to buy this http://stognerautosales.bestusedcarmarket.com/web_display/view/11074480

Well, I can try. The price is about $2k high even considering the miles, you'll still have to do all the maintenance you've already done on the 3-series because I'd be shocked if any of the 75k+ wear parts have been addressed on this car (suspension bushings, cooling system, etc). It's a great car, desirable color and year and engine and transmission and if you want it (and are willing to put the work in to make sure it's absolutely caught up on maintenance), you should get it.

What upgrades do you have on your E46? Can you part them out for $$?

Tab8715 posted:

Do you need the backseat to be functional for adults?

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE

Stardotstar posted:

Do you need the backseat to be functional for adults?

this. Plus the 1 series looks nicer so...

Billy Zane
Jun 24, 2003

Listen to your friend Billy Zane. He's a cool dude.
Between the 1 and the 3, I felt the 1 was more nimble, and I preferred the smaller size over the 3.

SeñorMisterioso
Nov 4, 2003
El muy misterioso

Stardotstar posted:

Well, I can try. The price is about $2k high even considering the miles, you'll still have to do all the maintenance you've already done on the 3-series because I'd be shocked if any of the 75k+ wear parts have been addressed on this car (suspension bushings, cooling system, etc). It's a great car, desirable color and year and engine and transmission and if you want it (and are willing to put the work in to make sure it's absolutely caught up on maintenance), you should get it.

What upgrades do you have on your E46? Can you part them out for $$?

I have done most of the rubber wear items, replaced all the filters, new fuel pump/sender, cooling system overhaul, new DISA plus more misc things. The main upgrade I have is Koni FSD's on sport shocks.

ynotony
Apr 14, 2003

Yea...this is pretty much the smartest thing I have ever done.

Tab8715 posted:

If you are talking about the current generation, the 1 series is more fun to drive and the 3 series is more comfortable and practical. It's that simple (assuming price and looks aren't a factor).

But that isn't to say the 3 series is boring or the 1 series is cramped and impractical. The 1 series does have a useable back seat, and is not bad considering it is a tiny sports coupe with an I6. And the 3 series is still sporty and fun, especially considering how big and "soft" it has become.

The 1 series does have a little bit of a unique/exclusive edge if you care about that. In some cities the 3 series is one of the most common cars on the road.

I drive an e46, and if I ever replace it with a newer BMW it will have to be a 1/2 series because they have essentially replaced the 3 series as BMW's "small and sporty option".

ynotony fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Jul 1, 2013

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

Good, bad. I'm the one with the power of Shu, Heru, Amon, Zehuti, Aton, and Mehen.
College Slice

Tab8715 posted:

I came at this as a guy in his late 30s looking for something balancing comfort with handling well, but not being super flashy.

For me, the 1-series wasn't an option as I wanted a sedan. The ability to fit more than one passenger and to have at least some trunk space matter to me.

Plus I don't think I am hurting for speed or handling on my 2007 328i, and it was well within my price range.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

I think that settles it for me...

Next summer, I'll be debt-free and to celebrate I'm thinking I can finally get a nice car for the first time in my life :haw:

My only other problem is finding one in manual, options - I'm assuming the sport package is a must and if I want a CPO-Model or not.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Because I couldn't get a 1 with a V8 :getin:

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
You can't get a 3 with a V8 anymore either.

Stardotstar
Jun 2, 2012

SeñorMisterioso posted:

I have done most of the rubber wear items, replaced all the filters, new fuel pump/sender, cooling system overhaul, new DISA plus more misc things. The main upgrade I have is Koni FSD's on sport shocks.

Well poo poo dude, good luck getting any of that money back. You might get $9k on the open market, but the dealer will offer you something insulting like $6500.

SeñorMisterioso
Nov 4, 2003
El muy misterioso

Stardotstar posted:

Well poo poo dude, good luck getting any of that money back. You might get $9k on the open market, but the dealer will offer you something insulting like $6500.

Yea I hadn't really planned on getting any money back out of it. The car is more of a hobby if anything and I like that it runs in tip top shape.

My Rhythmic Crotch
Jan 13, 2011

Just noticed my 335 is making a squeaking noise when turning left at low speed. That's a CV rebuild, right? It only has 39k miles :(

thealphabetsez
Jun 1, 2004

My Rhythmic Crotch posted:

Just noticed my 335 is making a squeaking noise when turning left at low speed. That's a CV rebuild, right? It only has 39k miles :(

From the front or rear of the car? Presumably front? Maybe as simple as something in contact with the rotor shield...

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

Good, bad. I'm the one with the power of Shu, Heru, Amon, Zehuti, Aton, and Mehen.
College Slice

Tab8715 posted:

I think that settles it for me...

Next summer, I'll be debt-free and to celebrate I'm thinking I can finally get a nice car for the first time in my life :haw:

Speaking as someone who just bought my first nice car, trust me, it's an awesome feeling! My only problem is that now I actually *want* to drive long distances just to give my BMW a chance to get up some speed.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

ibntumart posted:

Speaking as someone who just bought my first nice car, trust me, it's an awesome feeling! My only problem is that now I actually *want* to drive long distances just to give my BMW a chance to get up some speed.

If you drew out my route to get to the store 3/4 of a mile from my house, it'd look like some scaled-up version of those Family Circus cartoons where they draw the circuitous path little Billy took all around the house and yard. They are addictive cars.

E: my gas costs are _way_ up from the E36, and I'm happily paying every penny.

Captain Postal
Sep 16, 2007
I'm struggling to find an e90 with the options I want and I'm starting to get really antsy about not going on nice drives. I feel left out :(

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

ynotony posted:

But that isn't to say the 3 series is boring or the 1 series is cramped and impractical. The 1 series does have a useable back seat, and is not bad considering it is a tiny sports coupe with an I6. And the 3 series is still sporty and fun, especially considering how big and "soft" it has become.

I honestly think some of the "soft" tag for the F30 just comes from the fact that the run flats they use now don't ride so lovely like they did when they first rolled them out on the last generation, and people think hard ride = better performance. The F30 actually lost a little weight compared to the previous generation 3er and as far as I know it didn't take a step back in performance in any other area either. Of course I'm colossally biased as a complete F30 whore. :haw:

The 135is gets you 20 extra horsepower and a real DCT instead of an automatic, which you can't get on the F30 335i (but can get on the 3er coupe which is still build on the old platform.)

sean10mm fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Jul 2, 2013

Crunk Abortion
Mar 5, 2009

Young based lord and I look like JESUS
So after getting talked out of a Volkswagen, and then eyeballing a Miata, the guy I was going to buy from sold it out from under me the day I was supposed to pick up. I'm not too heartbroken because I was pretty leery about how much space I'd have in it (I'm 6'1.)

Now I'm considering a BMW 328i. I'm a fan of the body style and it looks way the hell roomier than the miatas I test drove. Plus I like working on german cars. I've got one lined up that will need a little work (convertible top cloth portions are good, but rear windshield is hosed up and there are some dings on the body. Looks like it got sideswiped at some point).

The one I'm looking at is a 1997 model with 170k on it. Having never touched a BMW before, is there anything I should be on the lookout for? I figure all the old car standards apply (timing, tranny, etc.) I'm just not familiar enough with them to know what should be due for a replacement.

Here's the ad, if it matters: http://orlando.craigslist.org/cto/3904666516.html

As far as I can tell, he's asking a fair bit under blue book value, which makes me curious.

Crunk Abortion fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Jul 2, 2013

Captain Postal
Sep 16, 2007

Crunk Abortion posted:

The one I'm looking at is a 1997 model with 170k on it. Having never touched a BMW before, is there anything I should be on the lookout for? I figure all the old car standards apply (timing, tranny, etc.) I'm just not familiar enough with them to know what should be due for a replacement.

Cooling. Make sure to read up on where/how the cooling system fails and check those items. The short version is: all of it. The long version requires a bit more research, but basically BMW have a hard-on for plastic cooling systems and they fail catastrophically eventually. Every single BMW engine has the same cooling system weakness. See what has already been overhauled cooling-wise, and what still needs to be done. If it wasn't overhauled recently, try to use that as leverage. I think the guide is every 50k miles.

edit: and possibly the rear subframe. I think that car is in the era where BMW had issues. It might only be <1% of cars, but if you get unlucky the repair cost is astronomical.

Captain Postal fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Jul 2, 2013

Shogunner
Apr 29, 2010

Ready to crash and burn.
I never learn.
I'm on the rapetrain.
So my Subaru is boring as gently caress and I kinda want an E36 or E30 as a weekend car, I know how to find a good used car, but does anyone know anything I should check for in particular with these cars?

Viper_3000
Apr 26, 2005

I could give a shit about all that.

Shogunner posted:

So my Subaru is boring as gently caress and I kinda want an E36 or E30 as a weekend car, I know how to find a good used car, but does anyone know anything I should check for in particular with these cars?

It's a BMW so: cooling system, cooling system, cooling system.

And this site does a decent job covering the rest I think.

Basically the plastic bits and the cooling system.

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel
Also the rubber bits.

Also on an E30 basically anything and everything because at this point the only thing that matters was how it was maintained.

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747

Captain Postal posted:

I'm struggling to find an e90 with the options I want and I'm starting to get really antsy about not going on nice drives. I feel left out :(

I ran into the same problem a couple months ago, which is why I ended up using build to order before they stopped production. Every M3 I saw was some ridiculous frozen/lime rock edition with every conceivable option and a 15K dealer mark-up.

DevCore
Jul 16, 2003

Schooled by Satan

I feel like there must be something seriously wrong with this car on eBay

It's an '88 M3 with 160k miles that looks REALLY good. Well, minus the air vents in the hood. But other than that it looks baller.
The guy says he wants $8,650 for it and at that price I'm more than half tempted. I had an e36 M3 and it has always been my silver medal to the e30.

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

DevCore posted:

It's an '88 M3 with 160k miles that looks REALLY good. Well, minus the air vents in the hood. But other than that it looks baller.
The guy says he wants $8,650 for it and at that price I'm more than half tempted. I had an e36 M3 and it has always been my silver medal to the e30.

I feel like that's too good to be true.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

DevCore posted:

They replaced the S14 with an M52. Who knows what series of horrible tragedies led to that abomination.

Wombot
Sep 11, 2001

So I'm actually giving more than passing consideration to the 540i/6 M Sport I found down in San Francisco, seeing how I can get a plane ticket down there for 99bux. I've fired off a whole barrel of questions to the current owner, now we play the waiting game.

I was down in Portland last weekend, and looked at what on the surface seemed a good, well-maintained 540iA. Turns out it had hells of missing pixels, the guy did his own oil changes and didn't have a reset tool, so both the oil and inspection lights were on, and the driver's seat had either a busted adjustment cable on the right side, or the right side upright was broken.

Listed for $13,900 :catstare:

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

College Slice

Jonny 290 posted:

If you drew out my route to get to the store 3/4 of a mile from my house, it'd look like some scaled-up version of those Family Circus cartoons where they draw the circuitous path little Billy took all around the house and yard. They are addictive cars.

You're not kidding. I found myself driving a few miles extra today to pick up lunch just because it was a bit farther I could drive.

Jonny 290 posted:

E: my gas costs are _way_ up from the E36, and I'm happily paying every penny.

Living in the SF Bay Area, I'm already used to highway robbery at the pump. Twenty cents extra per gallon I don't even register at this point.

Captain Postal posted:

Cheer up. I spent about a month trying to find the E90 with the options I wanted without ridiculous mileage on it... took a while and I had a couple prospects sell before I could test drive them, but perseverance won out in the end. Just be vigilant and maybe willing to drive farther than you usually would to look at cars.

Captain Postal
Sep 16, 2007

ibntumart posted:

Cheer up. I spent about a month trying to find the E90 with the options I wanted without ridiculous mileage on it... took a while and I had a couple prospects sell before I could test drive them, but perseverance won out in the end. Just be vigilant and maybe willing to drive farther than you usually would to look at cars.

Thanks, but I've set my search radius to "3 day drive home" and I've been looking for 4+ months. It's not looking good :(

edit: at this rate I'll probably spend a grand or so getting my 318i back into good condition and fix the scrapes/seals/etc rather than just sell it at a discount and let someone else deal with it. I really didn't want to do that.

Captain Postal fucked around with this message at 08:49 on Jul 3, 2013

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010

Captain Postal posted:

Thanks, but I've set my search radius to "3 day drive home" and I've been looking for 4+ months. It's not looking good :(

edit: at this rate I'll probably spend a grand or so getting my 318i back into good condition and fix the scrapes/seals/etc rather than just sell it at a discount and let someone else deal with it. I really didn't want to do that.

If you're looking for something coming off of a lease, just remember, the leases essentially end constantly. Also, it's worth checking out the CPO pages of the dealers nearby, sometimes items don't make it to the BMW page. If you know anyone at a dealership like a friend or a salesman you liked, it's probably worth letting them know you're looking, too.

I got my current car about six days after it was returned, and the day after they actually had time to clean it. In fact, the one sales guy hadn't shown it to a customer two days prior because it hadn't been cleaned. While I was signing the paperwork, the sales manager asked if I bought it because it had the sport package and a manual transmission (plus cold, premium, upgraded sound, and satellite). He was exactly right. The price was a bit lower because the paint was absolute garbage. It was probably never waxed, and driven through car washes with brushes. I've fixed a bunch of it, and I'll compound it more next spring.

Captain Postal
Sep 16, 2007
Nah, here in Aus, 3 year old 335's sell for about $70k, which is just too much. I'm looking at 05-06 330's or 07-08 335's that I can find with the options I want. The 330's are around $30k (my budget), the 335's are $30-40+k.

Even $30k is too much to spend if I have to compromise though. I'll accept not having turbos since I don't know how much use I would get, but I expect it to have everything else I want if I'm spending that much.

You Americans should have a look here if you want a good laugh

Captain Postal fucked around with this message at 13:11 on Jul 3, 2013

omgitstheinternet
Apr 28, 2005

Money, Clothes, and Hoes;
All a Nigga Knows

GentlemanofLeisure posted:

Also, I can't really make up my mind whether I want it with or without a roof:

Oh great BMW thread...help me!

Go for the coupe. I just test drove one today (which if it's still available next week after my Lotus is gone may be mine!) and it's just such a sexy beast. I will miss having a roof that disappears but the added stiffness, lower weight (I'm assuming), and overall sportier look will make up for that I'm sure.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
http://louisville.craigslist.org/cto/3910968936.html

$1600 for a clean 6-banger e36. Only reason I'm posting it here is I don't have the cash right now. It's in the middle of the middle of nowhere but that is a good price.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

sean10mm posted:

I honestly think some of the "soft" tag for the F30 just comes from the fact that the run flats they use now don't ride so lovely like they did when they first rolled them out on the last generation, and people think hard ride = better performance. The F30 actually lost a little weight compared to the previous generation 3er and as far as I know it didn't take a step back in performance in any other area either.

It's not the suspension that's the problem, it's the steering. It's super mushy compared to how BMW steering normally feels. The whole car just feels vague compared to the earlier generations of 3ers. Even BMW has acknowledged that the ride and suspension leave something to be desired and are changing both for better feel to fix this in the upcoming 4 series.

Have you actually driven an E46/E36/E30/other older BMW, of is your F30 the first?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003
Both the steering change from hydraulic to electric and the switch from 6cyl to 4cyl in the 328 feel like concessions for fuel economy, rather than a change that was made to actually improve the car. Same thing with the low resistance tires. It's a shame really.