Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades

NoodleBox posted:

Kinda shocked that theres finally a set-in-stone release date for RoTT, and one thats not too far away from its announcement either

Hopefully it doesn't end up overshadowed/forgotten since this has been a pretty quiet announcement so far

Also, I recently found my old image-rip of this FPS game called "Last Rites" and I'm kinda on the fence as to if its okay for me to provide a download link to the image since I can't find anything about the game on-line outside of some "abandon-ware" downloads, and this lone youtube video

I think this qualifies as abandon-ware, looks like a Duke Nukem mod and I've never heard of it before. It would be interesting to try it out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

Guillermus posted:

Just a heads-up: If you prepurchase RoTT 2013 on GMG and use this voucher: GMG25-BAWQB-8UQWG (25% off) you get it down to 9€. That's a loving steal.

http://www.greenmangaming.com/s/es/en/pc/games/action/rise-triad/

Edit: If you preorder on GMG you get the Apogee Throwback Pack (classic RoTT, Extreme Rise of the Triad, Blake Stone: Aliens of Gold and Bake Stone: Planet Strike). All steam redeemable.

Just hopped on this and it was a drat good deal. Thanks for the tip. Can't wait for the end of this month now, but I think the throwback pack is enough to keep me company until then.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Oh yes the throwback pack gets a pretty launcher for all four games with perfect mouse support, that makes GMG preorder the best option unless you really want that DRM free version from GOG.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

The Kins posted:

ROTT 2013 originally started as a UDK fan-remake of Duke3D, but some disagreement with Gearbox caused them to drop it and propose some other ideas to Apogee... at which point their slightly unhinged PR guy apparently went "HOLY poo poo WHY THE gently caress AREN'T YOU PROPOSING A NEW ROTT HERE I'LL DO IT RIGHT NOW" and, well, here we are.

Is that the one that just had some early renderings of rock walls and dumpsters or something? I mean, it could've been good but ROTT looks a lot better and more fun.

Still, Gearbox is apparently a big factor in what went wrong with the attempt to resurrect the Duke Nukem franchise. Their whole modus operandi was "release DNF and hope it coasts by on brand recognition, nevermind that it's a big pile of half-finished garbage", while also preventing anybody else from doing anything with the property.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

I kinda ordered the GOG.com version on a whim without thinking. Proper mouse support would be pretty great for Blake Stone or the original RotT :saddowns:

All three versions of the game can play multiplayer together, right? :ohdear:

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Mak0rz posted:

All three versions of the game can play multiplayer together, right? :ohdear:
Yes. Multiplayer uses their own backend, so DRM-free and Steam versions can blow each other up without any complications (except I guess the ancient relic of manual patching...)

NoodleBox
Jul 11, 2009

AxeManiac posted:

I think this qualifies as abandon-ware, looks like a Duke Nukem mod and I've never heard of it before. It would be interesting to try it out.

Okay then, here you are since these are just the cd images in .mds/mdf format this requires you to mount both your C and D (as a cd-rom) drives for proper installation and play, if someone wants to put together something akin to the Eradicator package that would be nice (I would if I knew how too)

One other thing I wanted to know is if someone here knew how to properly rip the music tracks, they're all in .DSF format and I've had no luck properly exporting them as anything else without the songs becoming a garbled, static-riddled mess of noises

I'm also debating whether or not I should put up my Rebel moon rising rips as well, not because of questionable legal status, but because it requires a windows 3.1/ 3.11 environment to install and run

NoodleBox fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Jul 1, 2013

Traveller
Jan 6, 2012

WHIM AND FOPPERY

I remember wanting to play Rebel Moon Rising so bad when I was a kid, but not why. Also oh god ROTT finally up for preorder :f5:

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
I'm thinking I'll grab RotT on Steam, even though I want it on GOG, because I have Steam cash. Figure I'll see how much I have left after I pick up Mortal Kombat on Wednesday. God drat this is an exciting month.

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog
Got RotT preordered, and after looking at it on my games list I sincerely hope they never change the Steam icon for it :allears:

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

Blake Stone is extremely fun so far. I love coming across rooms full of gold bars.

Dog Fat Man Chaser
Jan 13, 2009

maybe being miserable
is not unpredictable
maybe that's
the problem
with me

ChickenHeart posted:

Got RotT preordered, and after looking at it on my games list I sincerely hope they never change the Steam icon for it :allears:

Similarly, I hope they don't change the icon for the death by barrel achievement.

Sadly when I pointed out my love for it, they tweeted back it was not the right icon :(

danbo
Dec 29, 2010

Why is it an image of Gordon Freeman for a rocket jump? He's one of the last people I would associate with rocket jumping.

Irish Taxi Driver
Sep 12, 2004

We're just gonna open our tool palette and... get some entities... how about some nice happy trees? We'll put them near this barn. Give that cow some shade... There.

Tiger Schwert posted:

Why is it an image of Gordon Freeman for a rocket jump? He's one of the last people I would associate with rocket jumping.

He wasn't even a rocket scientist either.

Brovstin
Nov 2, 2012

Irish Taxi Driver posted:

He wasn't even a rocket scientist either.

Didn't stop him from launching a rocket though.

Irish Taxi Driver
Sep 12, 2004

We're just gonna open our tool palette and... get some entities... how about some nice happy trees? We'll put them near this barn. Give that cow some shade... There.

Brovstin posted:

Didn't stop him from launching a rocket though.

He killed everyone with a crowbar, were you going to stop him?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
How would you even stop him? Every time you try to hold a conversation with him he just runs around the room smashing things and throwing junk at you.

JackMackerel
Jun 15, 2011
Or vaporize you with the Gluon. I'm still pissed the gibbed corpses from the Gluon disappear in Black Mesa. :argh:

Jesus Christ, I thought it'd be forever until the ROTT reboot finally gave out preorders. Did the Interceptor team suggest you pre-order directly from their site to support them better?

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

JackMackerel posted:

Did the Interceptor team suggest you pre-order directly from their site to support them better?
Apogee has a store, but it's Digital River which... isn't nearly as good as Humble. Just get it from where you're most comfortable!

EDIT TO AVOID DOUBLE POSTING:
Sven Co-Op has released their last hurrah. This final update adds full co-op support for Blue Shift, as well as fixes for recent engine updates.

The Kins fucked around with this message at 10:43 on Jul 2, 2013

Capilarean
Apr 10, 2009
Does anyone have any tips for making the throwback pack a little more manageable controls wise? I can't even remap Blake Stone to WASD.

Commander Keenan
Dec 5, 2012

Not Boba Fett
I'll be updating our Sven server to 4.8 soon, in case we want to get games going.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Woah I didn't even get Blake Stone with my GOG order. What the hell? Is it because I already own classic ROTT?

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Mak0rz posted:

Woah I didn't even get Blake Stone with my GOG order. What the hell? Is it because I already own classic ROTT?
Double check your receipts and games list, then contact GOG support?

SparkTR
May 6, 2009
I hope the Interceptor guys do a new Blake Stone after the RoTT remake is out. It's pretty much the only way I can envision a new one being made, I need RoTT to sell a poo poo load.

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.

The Kins posted:

EDIT TO AVOID DOUBLE POSTING:
Sven Co-Op has released their last hurrah. This final update adds full co-op support for Blue Shift, as well as fixes for recent engine updates.

Sven Co-Op Chaps posted:

Version 4.8 will most likely be the final SC mod release, but this is by no means the end of Sven Co-op. We have a major announcement to make soon, so keep an eye on SvenCoop.com over the next couple of weeks!

A bit late for them to be latching onto Source - Sven Co-op 2 is clearly being bundled with Half-Life 3.

Tax Oddity
Apr 8, 2007

The love cannon has a very short range, about 2 feet, so you're inevitably out of range. I have to close the distance.

Rather Dashing posted:

A bit late for them to be latching onto Source - Sven Co-op 2 is clearly being bundled with Half-Life 3.

It has nothing to do with Source or Half-Life 3. Despite that, I think the upcoming announcement will make a few people happy!

Jblade
Sep 5, 2006

Nev posted:

It has nothing to do with Source or Half-Life 3. Despite that, I think the upcoming announcement will make a few people happy!
I hope so. I haven't played it in months, but I still felt a bit of sadness when I saw 'last update' for Sven. It's just...one of those mods that have been there forever. I remember playing that poo poo over a decade ago, running through Escape from Black Mesa like a hundred times and inching further forward everytime. I mean there's nothing more they can really do or add now, and it won't die out simply because of the sheer amount of maps there is and will be for it...but still.

Tax Oddity
Apr 8, 2007

The love cannon has a very short range, about 2 feet, so you're inevitably out of range. I have to close the distance.
You have nothing to worry about! And you may think there is nothing more we can do or add, but we have a lot of things planned. The upcoming announcement should clarify things.

Irish Taxi Driver
Sep 12, 2004

I remember posting on the Sven forums when I was 15 or so. Was even the mod of Model Showcase for a while. Christ I was an angry little poo poo.

Gon' have to play this again and see if my electric crowbar / gold uzis still work.

Commander Keenan
Dec 5, 2012

Not Boba Fett
Our server is up again. Look for "The Punishment Portal 2.0". No custom maps at this moment, since I'm thinking 1000 random maps broke it last time.

JackMackerel
Jun 15, 2011
I still miss ten-grenade spams, furries abusing Sonic models, and wanton banana bombing.

Irish Taxi Driver posted:

I remember posting on the Sven forums when I was 15 or so. Was even the mod of Model Showcase for a while. Christ I was an angry little poo poo.

Gon' have to play this again and see if my electric crowbar / gold uzis still work.

I still fondly remember angering jpolito by completely missing the point of a Spam thread.

Dog Fat Man Chaser
Jan 13, 2009

maybe being miserable
is not unpredictable
maybe that's
the problem
with me
So one of the ROTT developers has just basically said they've got the source code, which was supposed to be lost, to Blake Stone. We might see something come from it soon.

http://steamcommunity.com/app/238050/discussions/0/864971765920303537/

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
Blake Stone would be the weirdest goddamn thing to bring back in any form even if it's just an upscaled port.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
At this point I wouldn't be surprised at some rear end in a top hat trying to get Kickstarter cash for a retro reboot of Corridor 7.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Fag Boy Jim posted:

At this point I wouldn't be surprised at some rear end in a top hat trying to get Kickstarter cash for a retro reboot of Corridor 7.

I have fond memories of Corridor 7. For the longest time my mum didn't let me play FPS', but I had myself an old computer, so sometimes late at night I'd get a demo disc from the huge stack of them my dad had from his magazines (CGW and PCG) and play the demo for a game I wasn't allowed to play. One night that was one of the games I installed.

Then one day my dad asked if he could use my computer in an attempt to save the data from the family computer, which had died. Since I uninstalled all the demos after I played them, I wasn't caught, but when I got it back he'd accidentally deactivated my CD-ROM drive and we could never figure out how to get it back. After that the only demo I could install was the Heretic demo, which was on floppies.

My mum finally decided to let my dad decide what games we could play after her lack of knowledge led to her letting my younger brother play Halo. I was 16, but better late than never.

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog

Yodzilla posted:

Blake Stone would be the weirdest goddamn thing to bring back in any form even if it's just an upscaled port.

Calling it now, Blake Stone's inclusion in the Apogee throwback pack was to gauge interest for a 90's-retro-future-style reboot of Blake Stone. At the end of the teaser trailer, it is revealed that your co-op partner is the Chex Warrior :getin:

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
I have pretty fond memories of Blake Stone. The game seemed so vivid and real, especially when compared to other similar FPSs of the time, like Wolfenstein. I mean, there were non-combatant NPCs! And vending machines! And all sorts of colorful enemies, like eggs that birthed giant piles of poo poo, and water creatures that slinked along the ground, imitating puddles. The guns were pretty much lovely linear upgrades of the previous weapons, but it was okay because there were vending machines!

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

ChickenHeart posted:

Calling it now, Blake Stone's inclusion in the Apogee throwback pack was to gauge interest for a 90's-retro-future-style reboot of Blake Stone. At the end of the teaser trailer, it is revealed that your co-op partner is the Chex Warrior :getin:

I can practically hear the butt-rock. And see the hard lights.

It is glorious.

NovaPolice
May 9, 2006
I wish I backuped my files from 2006 because I swear I had a working copy of ZPC back then, and now it's a struggle and a half to find the right version and get it working. I wish it was on GOG; I'd pay Zombie Studios for the privilege to easily play that awful game again.

Now there's a bottom of the barrel kickstarter I'd back; remake ZPC, to have better gameplay to go with like cell-shaded 3D versions of Aidan Hughes' art.

Edit: ZPC was as cool as its level design was awful. That giant bloody top thing is a machine designed to depopulate cities, and you can kill it by shooting scrap metal out of a improv railgun latched onto your seven-in-one pistol. You're psychic Jesus, and you can become more powerful the more kills-per-minute you get.

NovaPolice fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Jul 3, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Dog Fat Man Chaser posted:

So one of the ROTT developers has just basically said they've got the source code, which was supposed to be lost, to Blake Stone. We might see something come from it soon.

http://steamcommunity.com/app/238050/discussions/0/864971765920303537/
Oshry is ever-so-slightly unhinged about 90s Apogee games in a way that I can admire from a safe distance. If anyone can dig up that game's code, it's probably him.

(I told the ECWolf dev about this and he said he couldn't talk about Blake Stone. Hmmm...)

ChickenHeart posted:

Reviving Blake as a cheesy 1970s sci-fi action thing would be fun as hell, but we should probably wait and see how Interceptor gets on with one obscure reboot first. :)