Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Down With People
Oct 31, 2012

The child delights in violence.

cornface posted:

300 degrees. 3-4 hours. Stir every hour or so. Watch out for how delicious it might be.

And that's covered, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cornface
Dec 28, 2006

by Lowtax

Down With People posted:

And that's covered, right?

I leave it covered. If you start with a lot of liquid, you might need to uncover it. Just check on it regularly and adjust if it needs adjusting.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
I managed to find some nice looking fresh poblano peppers the other day. I'm not sure as to whether I should put them in my chili or stuff them and use them as an appetizer. Anybody have any experience using fresh poblanos in their chili?

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

You're entering a realm which is unusual. Maybe it's magic, or contains some kind of monster... The second one. Prepare to enter The Scary Door.
Nap Ghost

Party Plane Jones posted:

I managed to find some nice looking fresh poblano peppers the other day. I'm not sure as to whether I should put them in my chili or stuff them and use them as an appetizer. Anybody have any experience using fresh poblanos in their chili?

I don't remember them adding much to mine, but I did through too many types of pepper in that batch. I vote for appetizer.

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

draw me like one of your French Canadian girls

YEAH DOG posted:

THE ONE TRUE CHILI REQUIRES NO CARBS

Nah it doesn't matter, and is mostly regional. Our family from the south has chili over cornbread; family from the north has it over noodles, and Colorado family serves over rice. Who cares. But I wouldn't cook any of those IN the chili liquid.

I've heard of cornbread and rice, and those are pretty good, but where in the gently caress do you serve chili with pasta?? What region is this popular in?? I have never ever heard this.

As for ground beef, a little to fill out the space between hunks of beef is nice in my opinion. Chorizo is way better though.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

THE MACHO MAN posted:

I've heard of cornbread and rice, and those are pretty good, but where in the gently caress do you serve chili with pasta?? What region is this popular in?? I have never ever heard this.

Maybe European background, treating it like a goulash.

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

2024 Comeback Poster of the Year

THE MACHO MAN posted:

As for ground beef, a little to fill out the space between hunks of beef is nice in my opinion. Chorizo is way better though.

Cincinnati.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cincinnati_chili

marshalljim
Mar 6, 2013

yospos

Party Plane Jones posted:

I'd stuff them, especially if they're hard for you to find. They're not going to stand out much against the dried peppers in your chili, but they'll be great stuffed.

THE MACHO MAN posted:

It's a pretty common thing around the country. Google "chili mac," for example.

YEAH DOG
Sep 24, 2009

you wanna join my
primitive noise band?

THE MACHO MAN posted:

Upstate New York, German immigrants. But ya, Cincinnati/skyline chili is served over noodles.

cornbread supremecy

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

marshalljim posted:

I'd stuff them, especially if they're hard for you to find. They're not going to stand out much against the dried peppers in your chili, but they'll be great stuffed.

By managed to find I mean "finally noticed them on the shelf". My local market only carries 4 peppers for whatever reason: a giant heap of jalopeno, a slightly smaller heap of poblano, an even smaller heap of habanero, and a bunch of small bags of dried ghost pepper. I can only feel sorry for whoever picks up the ghost peppers since the bags aren't labelled as it being super hot.

lappey
Apr 13, 2007

The Laughingstock Of The Internet
Speaking of Ghost Chillies, I was given a dried one by a friend the other day that I was planning to use in a Chili. Does anyone have any tips as to how I should be going about using it?
I was thinking about soaking it for a while in water and then blending it.
Is there something I should be doing, besides serving with loads of sour cream, to counter the heat?

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

lappey posted:

Speaking of Ghost Chillies, I was given a dried one by a friend the other day that I was planning to use in a Chili. Does anyone have any tips as to how I should be going about using it?
I was thinking about soaking it for a while in water and then blending it.
Is there something I should be doing, besides serving with loads of sour cream, to counter the heat?

How much chili are you planning to make? Ghost chilies are very hot, yes, but if you're making a big batch than using a single one is not going to make you breathe fire after eating a bowl of it.

lappey
Apr 13, 2007

The Laughingstock Of The Internet

The Midniter posted:

How much chili are you planning to make? Ghost chilies are very hot, yes, but if you're making a big batch than using a single one is not going to make you breathe fire after eating a bowl of it.

That's pretty reassuring. It'll be a decently sized batch. I was pretty worried that it would completely overpower the chili.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

marshalljim posted:

I combined the two and stuffed the peppers with the chili I made. It was glorious.

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica
I'm making chili today! I browned some pork butt and added it at around +5 hrs because I googled "stewing pork butt" and it ranged from 1-3 hours. It looked and smelled like great chili when I added it (and some beans) so I hope I don't have to fish out a bunch of stringy dry pork pieces when I'm done.

BitesizedNike
Mar 29, 2008

.flac
This has probably been covered, but I'm having trouble finding it. What's a good online retailer for chiles? I'd go to my local hispanic grocer, but they close right as I finish work everyday.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

I made another chilli the other night there. I toasted and rehydrated 2 Chipotle and 2 Ancho chillies and blended them into a paste, browned off 750g of diced rump sweated some onions and deglazed my pan. Added a tin of tomatoes and the chilli paste with the meat back into the pot. Put it in the oven for 5 hours on low, added a big load of kidney beans and 5 sliced fresh green chillies, back in the over for another hour.

The meat broke down really well I didn't have to add much liquid at all during cooking and it came out with a really nice thick texture. It was a super delicious chilli. I'm definitely doing this again though I'll throw the fresh chillies in just at the end rather than letting them cook into the chilli I think.

Martello
Apr 29, 2012

by XyloJW

Slowhanded posted:

This has probably been covered, but I'm having trouble finding it. What's a good online retailer for chiles? I'd go to my local hispanic grocer, but they close right as I finish work everyday.

Amazon.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

Slowhanded posted:

http://www.penderys.com/

k3nn
Jan 20, 2007
So I've only used anchos + new mexico reds in my chili thus far, but I picked up some guajillos the other day and want to try them out. What're they likely to combine best with? I was thinking just them + the anchos, or should I throw in all three kinds? I'll be adding some chipotles in adobo as well for a bit of extra heat. No idea what the guajillos taste like so any advice would be appreciated!

Faithless
Dec 1, 2006
Whats everyone's goto chilli combinations for the perfect chilli paste?

I'm from England and its difficult to get many varieties but luckily I've been able to get a good amount of dried/smoked chillis through the post. Usually I combine a mix of Chipotle, ancho and habenero peppers for the base. What about you guys?

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
This might sound blasphemous but I'd like a recipe for making chili the ground beef and beans way. I found a can of kidney beans in my pantry and I'm moving next month so I'm trying to use up all my foodstuffs before then. Texas style chili is expensive to make and every time I make it for dinner my friends* always complain it's not chili con carne (because over here chili con carne is only known with ground beef and beans) so they don't appreciate it anyway.

Do I like, use the same broth base or do I use like tomato juice or something? I seriously have no idea.

* Get new friends, I know. I'll get new friends after I move to the new city.

yung lambic
Dec 16, 2011

I occasionally make bastardised chili. Don't sweat it. Some people will never come around to the church of chili.

I live in the UK, and this is what most people recognise as chili. I'll cook it sometimes, as it's the type of chili I ate growing up and was served by my parents. And others seem to recognise it. But you can get creative with the ingredients, make your own chili powder etc.

I like this recipe, from Jane Butel's Chili Madness: A Passionate Cookbook.

Chili á la Franey

Ingredients:

1 pound lean beef, ground
    1 pound lean pork, ground
    1 tablespoon olive oil
    3 large onions, finely chopped
    1 green bell pepper, stemmed, seeded, and finely chopped
    2 stalks celery, finely chopped
    1 tablespoon Mexican oregano
    2 bay leaves
    2 teaspoons ground cumin
    3 cups tomatoes with tomato paste
    1 cup beef brth
    1/2 teaspoon crushed caribe chile
    2 tablespoons pure ground red chile (hot, mild, or a combination)
    salt and freshly ground black pepper
    2 cups cooked red kidney beans (or 1 can, rinsed and drained)

1. Place the meats in a large bowl and mix with hands.

2. Place the oil in a large heavy pot over medium heat. Add the meat to the pot. Break up any lumps with a fork and cook, stirring occasional, until it's evenly browned.

3. Add the onions, bell pepper, celery, garlic, oregano, bay leaves, and 1 teaspoon of cumin. Mix well. Then add the tomatoes, broth, 1 cup water, caribe chile, ground chile, and salt and pepper to taste. Bring to a boil. Lower the heat and simmer, uncovered, for about 20 minutes.

4. Add the beans and simmer for 10 minutes longer. Add the remaining 1 teaspoon of cumin. Taste, and adjust the seasoning as needed. Remove the bay leaves before serving.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
I made a batch yesterday and used some rough ground chuck from a local butcher that I've found and it works great. Did the usual dried chile sauce along with sauce from a couple cans of chipotle adobo, and kept it simple.

I do like to make it pretty straight but have lots of sides available for folks to toss on as they see fit....even blasphemous stuff (all cooked) like: corn, black beans, tomatoes, zucchini, bell pepper slices along with other stuff like sour cream, chopped white onions, and chives. Side with tortilla chips.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Thanks! So it seems as easy as I thought.

Econosaurus
Sep 22, 2008

Successfully predicted nine of the last five recessions

So I just moved down the street from a Mexican grocery store that sells whole peppers (ancho, Jalepeno, Habanero, everything). What recipe should I be basing my chili off of? This is my first real chili attempt, so I figure I might as well ask the experts.

DrFrankenStrudel
May 14, 2012

Where am I? I don't even know anymore...

Econosaurus posted:

So I just moved down the street from a Mexican grocery store that sells whole peppers (ancho, Jalepeno, Habanero, everything). What recipe should I be basing my chili off of? This is my first real chili attempt, so I figure I might as well ask the experts.

If you don't know your peppers very well use mild peppers so that if you err in how much to put in you won't ruin it by making it too hot to eat. I like using Poblano peppers (the dried version is known as an ancho chili) because they're mild enough to use them in a large enough quantity to boldly showcase their distinctive flavor without being too spicy for some family/guests. (as compared to some other chilis which while delicious impart their flavor as a background behind the heat)

If your looking for a more traditional recipe to cut your teeth with (or have some picky eaters) I'd recommend starting with 1 or 2 fresh Jalapeno peppers per pound of meat and for you to incrementally add ground Cayenne Pepper (which adds heat but little other flavor) to reach the heat level everyone is comfortable with.

The great thing about chili though is that you can easily add the other spices (cumin, oregano, cilantro, ect)to taste as you go while it simmers in the pot.

FaradayCage
May 2, 2010
I just made some crazy good pork adobado. The method for making the adobo sauce basically involves toasting dried chiles, then boiling/soaking them in water, then blending them to a paste. Is there anything fundamentally different from making chili powder in this process? It was much easier to break up the chiles this way with my current blender - so I think I'm going to do this for the next chile batch. Maybe soak/boil them in beef broth for maximum flavor density (and use all of the boiling broth in the final dish).

Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

I've done both, they turn out pretty similar. I noticed more large pieces of skin when i soaked then blended as opposed to using powder.

I think the reason a lot of people that use whole dry chiles grind them to a powder first is because they're easier to work with. You can pretty much throw more chiles in any time. If your chili turns out too thin, you can add mild chiles like california to thicken it more. Also some chiles have fruity flavors that don't last through cooking, so you want to add them at the end. California or ancho chiles are a good example, i think, although i add them at the beginning too.

FaradayCage
May 2, 2010

Christmas Miracle posted:

I've done both, they turn out pretty similar. I noticed more large pieces of skin when i soaked then blended as opposed to using powder.

I think the reason a lot of people that use whole dry chiles grind them to a powder first is because they're easier to work with. You can pretty much throw more chiles in any time. If your chili turns out too thin, you can add mild chiles like california to thicken it more. Also some chiles have fruity flavors that don't last through cooking, so you want to add them at the end. California or ancho chiles are a good example, i think, although i add them at the beginning too.

Woah - this is news to me. My old chili powder has usually been bulk Anaheim/California/NM and were added before 6 hours of simmering. Anchos were a good part of it too. Can I get some support for this theory? I haven't seen many chili recipes in this thread that call for adding powder late in the game.

czechshaun
Dec 13, 2004
en trance
A cool thing you can do with poblanos or jalapenos. Make cornbread and bake them in the pepper. As in, slice the pepper in half, I usually use jalapenos, and then just scoop in some corn bread mix. Bake them for however long your recipe calls for and then enjoy 'jalapeno cornbread.'

fake edit: no I did not retrieve this off of pintrest

DOTA Uninstaller
Jul 13, 2005
Causing indigestion the world over.
I made my first batch of Texas chili based on the recipe on the first page, complete with my first attempt at homemade chili powder. Entailed an early morning trip to the local Mexican grocery and their glorious dried pepper selection. Like an entire aisle of dried peppers, whole cumin, and other amazing (and cheap!) spices. I used New Mexicos, Anchos, Moritas, and Arbols. Also grabbed a pound of "real" chorizo while I was there. A quick trip to my usual grocer yielded a fresh tank of propane to grill my marinating sirloin, as well as a couple cans of the "good" brand of Chipotles in ancho sauce. Used a local microbrew in the chili (Upland Brewery's Rad Red), along with a double shot of Knob Creek bourbon.

Took it to a church chili social along with a batch of my usual Cinci-style ground beef and all-spice monstrosity. Had to leave to go sell Cub Scout popcorn with my son, and when I came back an hour and a half later, the Texas style pot was already washed and ready by the church volunteers. Friggin gone in a hurry, they said. Had about 12 oz. of the Cinci-style left over.
Action shot: (I prepared both chilis in a pot on the stove, and transferred them to the slow cookers for ease of traveling.)

So anyway, thanks to GWS for an awesome day of first time chili experiences!

DOTA Uninstaller fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Sep 22, 2013

YEAH DOG
Sep 24, 2009

you wanna join my
primitive noise band?
Double batch of chili colorado + a can of black beans to thicken it or some retarded poo poo for babies

YEAH DOG
Sep 24, 2009

you wanna join my
primitive noise band?

YEAH DOG posted:

Double batch of chili colorado + a can of black beans to thicken it or some retarded poo poo for babies

top right, your mom's favorite dildos

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine
Chili season starts today, with a fresh and hopefully bright tasting pork chili.
~3lbs. pork loin
-4 jalapeños
-2 'yellow chiles'
-1 anaheim
-A whole lot of cherry tomatoes
-24oz Lagunitas IPA
~spices~
e: oh and onion+shallots

365 Nog Hogger fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Oct 3, 2013

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Pork loin seems a terrible choice

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine
Why?

Schmeichy
Apr 22, 2007

2spooky4u

Smellrose
No collagen or fat in pork loin, which is what you want in a slow-cooked chili. Pork loin will get dry if it's cooked too long. Just don't overcook the meat, and it should be fine. Shoulder would be a better cut of pork for next time, though.

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine
Ah, I get cha, I did the initial cooking of it in bacon fat and olive oil and left the rind on for now, so hopefully that helps.
e: meat is kinda dry, shame to my family, etc

365 Nog Hogger fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Oct 3, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Disco Salmon
Jun 19, 2004

Meniscus posted:

I've used heart in chili. I really liked it, but it did need more cook time than I had so it was still a bit chewy. It's really beefy tasting.

Actually it was this recipe, which I found in the last thread--I put the heart in place for the steak. Someone mentioned using goat and I really want to try it. Would this be a good recipe for goat if I subbed it in for the sirloin? If it's not a good fit for goat, what would be better?

2 tablespoons olive oil
2 pounds sirloin steak, cut into 1-inch cubes
1/2 pound ground beef
12 ounces chorizo sausage, casing removed, cut into 1/2 cubes
1 large yellow onion, coarsely chopped
1/4 cup chili powder
1 tablespoon garlic salt
2 teaspoons cumin
1 teaspoon dried basil
2 (14.5 oz) cans beef broth
2 (14.5 oz) cans whole tomatoes, drained
1/2 (12 oz) can Coca-Cola
1/2 (12 oz) can beer (your choice here, doesn't have a huge impact what you use, just make sure it's not too lovely)
1 cup cilantro, chopped
1 cinnamon stick
3 bay leaves
2-4 green jalapenos, slit lengthwise 3 times each (alternately, 1 habanero and 1 jalapeno)
1 tablespoon yellow cornmeal
Salt and pepper, to taste

This is from some time back in the thread, but I made this recipe last weekend for us and it was a huge hit. I ended up adding some beans to it because, well, in this family chili has beans :( Anyway...to whoever originally posted this recipe, thank you! It was wonderful and much enjoyed by the family.