Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
regularizer
Mar 5, 2012

In CK2+, when I've given land to a title claimant and then pressed their claim, they don't become my vassal, even though I'm the king of Sicily and I pressed their claim for a duchy. Also, why are the only de jure empires in CK2+ the byzantine and holy roman?

Also, I have the most recent version of Prince and Thane, but my game crashes every time I try to use it. I'm running version 1.102. Since I haven't tried it yet, how does it compare to CK2+?

e: reading comprehension, they haven't updated prince and thane to be compatible with the latest patch.

regularizer fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Jul 2, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY

beefart posted:

Also, the guy who did the original portraits is doing his own mod that will add better portraits all around as well as incorporate traits like ugly/attractive.

If attractive adds bishie sparkles to the portrait, I'm all game.

And from what screenshots I've seen, I'm pretty glad so far that I haven't bought the Celtic portraits.

aegeryn
Oct 14, 2006

regularizer posted:

In CK2+, when I've given land to a title claimant and then pressed their claim, they don't become my vassal, even though I'm the king of Sicily and I pressed their claim for a duchy.

When you press someone's claim, they only become your vassal if they're a kinsman or if you're conquering a territory that is part of your de jure domain. That's how it is in vanilla, no idea if it was changed in CK2+.

ArchRanger
Mar 19, 2007
I'm tired of following my dreams, I'm just gonna ask where they're goin' and meet up with 'em there.

For anyone curious I figured out what my issue with the Norse Portraits was. While still troubleshooting I discovered that I had evidently opted into an old beta patch at some point and was still running that version which was incompatible with the new DLCs.

ArchRanger fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Jul 2, 2013

regularizer
Mar 5, 2012

aegeryn posted:

When you press someone's claim, they only become your vassal if they're a kinsman or if you're conquering a territory that is part of your de jure domain. That's how it is in vanilla, no idea if it was changed in CK2+.

I don't think that's how it works in Vanilla, since I've pressed claims for Duchies in Norway and Italy as the king of Ireland.

beefart
Jul 5, 2007

IT'S ON THE HOUSE OF AMON
~grandmaaaaaaa~

Raserys posted:

If attractive adds bishie sparkles to the portrait, I'm all game.

And from what screenshots I've seen, I'm pretty glad so far that I haven't bought the Celtic portraits.

Here's Danevang's thread.

:allears:

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

Nolanar posted:

Honestly? I modded the game. I wanted the restrictions to still mean something, so I reconfigured it: the religious and cultural restrictions are still in place, but you can bypass them if you control every single part of the de jure kingdom, down to the last barony.

Midnight Voyager posted:

Mind sharing with the class? That sounds useful.

Sure. The mod file itself is a mix of a few different tweaks I've been doing, so I don't want share the file and mess with your game in other ways, but I can show you how to do it. Go into landed_titles.txt, and find the title you want. I'll use Frisia as an example. It will have something like this:

code:
allow = {
	culture = dutch
}
You want it to let you if you have that requirement OR if you control the whole de jure territory. Change it to this:
code:
allow = {
	OR = {
		culture = dutch
		completely_controls = k_frisia
	}
}
If the title has more than one requirement (say, culture + religion), you'll want to put them all in an AND bracket, like so:
code:
allow = {
	OR = {
		AND = {
			culture = dutch
			religion = christian
		}
		completely_controls = k_frisia
	}
}

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

I have all the portrait packs and I like all of them v:shobon:v Although I haven't really played the game since I bought the Celtic pack so I don't really know what that one looks like aside from the images on the Steam page.

I honestly don't get the hate for the Mediterranean pack, either, they look fine to me--except those awful beards. Although if you showed me a picture of one of them and asked me to guess which ethnicity they were supposed to be, "Mediterranean Europeans" wouldn't have been my first guess, that's for sure. A lot of the women almost look South Asian to me.

I'm definitely interested in this mod made by the original guy, though, but mainly for the fact that there's going to be integrating the Attractive and Ugly traits into the portrait, which is cool. I wonder if he'll do other stuff along those lines too, like only using fat portraits on Gluttonous or Slothful trait holders.

I'm also going to second hope for a Persian/Turkish portrait pack. The original Middle Eastern set still looks good (although all the women look pretty samey to me) but some contrast between the different Middle-Eastern ethnicities would be nice and the Turks and Persians seem like a logical place to make those distinctions. If Paradox can decide that Celts and Norse people should look distinct, surely the distinction between Persian and Arab is just as important.

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

O'er the sea from the north
there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow
I'm sure that they'll keep making face packs as long as people keep buying them until only the Franks are using the standard faces.

Kainser fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Jul 2, 2013

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird
Well, I can see a market for a facial hair DLC, dedicated to incredibly extravagant facial hair.
That sort of thing does seem like it'd be suitable if they started driving the detail to the level of the Sims.

I've found out that giving concubines landed titles (priestesses, in this case) makes them leave court and stop being concubines. Guess I'm going to have to wait for some more heirs, first.
Still need to know how this is going to affect the wife; was thinking of making her archpriestess of Denmark or something, but I'm wondering how that works in terms of heir situation/stat boosts.

Bloody Pancreas
Feb 21, 2008

I'm playing Zoroastrian Karen and have managed to create the Persian Empire and establish the church. I'm 40, I have 300 piety, and have about 3/4th's of all the territory needed to make myself Saoshyant. Should I just stop where I am and just wait for my son to take over or keep going? I'm worried I'm going to have all the territory and not have the 1500 piety or conquer almost all of what I need and keel over, leaving my heir with little to increase his piety.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Hey there, can anyone tell me why CK2's checksum is no longer matching up between mine and my friend's Steam versions of the game? Both are up to date, have the exact same DLC as each other and have the same tweaks to the game files as each other (I made sure to save them in a seperate folder so I knew what I changed), yet they're still different, even after messing around starting games then quitting to the menu. :(

Daeren
Aug 18, 2009

YER MUSTACHE IS CROOKED
So I looked up from my busy schedule of slapping the Andalusians around in my first Great Holy War when I got a notice that the Slavs won their first one as well.

:stare: Poland's been busy. Seconds afer this screenshot was taken, they formed the Carpathian Empire, the first time I think I've seen the AI forge an empire from scratch. I think I've found my new rival.

Catholicism's first Crusade, by the way, was called by the pope-in-exile somewhere in Burgandy. The only people to answer were an independent count and the King of France who owned two counties inside my blob. It ended pretty quickly.

Edit: yes, I have 65,000 gold on top of all this territory. Norse republics are a wee bit broken because all the republican early-game problems are solved by raiding everybody everywhere all the time.

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

Bloody Pancreas posted:

I'm playing Zoroastrian Karen and have managed to create the Persian Empire and establish the church. I'm 40, I have 300 piety, and have about 3/4th's of all the territory needed to make myself Saoshyant. Should I just stop where I am and just wait for my son to take over or keep going? I'm worried I'm going to have all the territory and not have the 1500 piety or conquer almost all of what I need and keel over, leaving my heir with little to increase his piety.

Try to get it in your ruler's lifetime. If you don't quite make it, your son will have a stronger power base to launch slightly tougher wars.

I have to admit, the Norse are still too powerful. My Fylkirate is roughly 17 kingdoms, many of which were either "everyone holy wars this one guy simultaneously, I guess I can make a kingdom now?" and "the King of X has launched a prepared invasion of Y" results. The whole setup is elective and all the major title holders are family, so I'm over 100 years in and haven't had a civil war (at least, not one targeting me). I'm tempted to add an independence requirement to the prepared invasion CB at this point, because otherwise the blobs just get too aggressive. It might just be that big blobs are too stable in the current patch, I dunno.

The religions are pretty screwed up in this playthrough, too. Romuva and Zoroastrianism are near extinction, with no nobles following them at all anymore and only a few counties sticking with them culturally. That's normal enough, except the same thing happened with the Shia (replaced by Sunni) and Orthodox (replaced by Iconoclast) faiths. The latter collapsed pretty much instantly when the Basileus converted, and the former didn't have much of a chance once its stronghold in Burgundy(!) collapsed. The joint Sunni-Norse pressure has Catholicism falling apart everywhere but Karling France-Italy. Aquitaine is Lollard and is getting torn to bits by everyone.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

Daeren posted:

Norse republics are a wee bit broken because all the republican early-game problems are solved by raiding everybody everywhere all the time.

"My lord! They refuse to trade with us, so we are without an avenue with which we can take to acquire their gold!!"

"...Did you try bashing their heads in and taking the gold?"

"...:black101:"

MLKQUOTEMACHINE fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Jul 2, 2013

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

WeaponGradeSadness posted:

I have all the portrait packs and I like all of them v:shobon:v Although I haven't really played the game since I bought the Celtic pack so I don't really know what that one looks like aside from the images on the Steam page.

I honestly don't get the hate for the Mediterranean pack, either, they look fine to me--except those awful beards. Although if you showed me a picture of one of them and asked me to guess which ethnicity they were supposed to be, "Mediterranean Europeans" wouldn't have been my first guess, that's for sure. A lot of the women almost look South Asian to me.

I'm definitely interested in this mod made by the original guy, though, but mainly for the fact that there's going to be integrating the Attractive and Ugly traits into the portrait, which is cool. I wonder if he'll do other stuff along those lines too, like only using fat portraits on Gluttonous or Slothful trait holders.

I'm also going to second hope for a Persian/Turkish portrait pack. The original Middle Eastern set still looks good (although all the women look pretty samey to me) but some contrast between the different Middle-Eastern ethnicities would be nice and the Turks and Persians seem like a logical place to make those distinctions. If Paradox can decide that Celts and Norse people should look distinct, surely the distinction between Persian and Arab is just as important.

I'm pretty sure that the scarred trait seems to actually make your portrait guy have a wicked facial scar, at least with the celtic faces pack. That was a pretty cool detail. Though the laser green eyes on some of the kids come off a little creepy.

The modeling on the Mediterranean faces is a little too stylized and cartoony, which combined with the odd skin tones make them look almost like muppets. Though I think they incorporated a slight faces tweak in the latest patch.

And I don't want to :can: but isn't it a bit ahistorical for all italians and such to be quite so dark skinned? I thought that the reason southern italians are darker-skinned is because they have some mixed arab ancestry, which might not have been as applicable in this time period or to the nobility, who were often ethnically distinct from the common people anyway.

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird
Heh, that's been my MO so far. Raiding is financing my invasion of Ireland, Denmark, and everywhere else with a coast. I may make it my goal to own as much coastline as possible.
Got to be a little hard on the men, though, to be at sea for, uh, four years and counting.

Here's a weird one. I captured "Finguine Cenn-nGecan mac Laegaire", aged 7, as I steamrollered castle Ormund. He's apparently second in the line of succession, as well. Can't tell what his stats are like yet.
I'm not sure what to do with him. I can actually educate him, should I hand him off to the wife or one of the concubines, because I'm saving my ward slots for my dynasty.
Should I try betrothing him?
Or should I just save him for Blot fodder, along with the priests? I've got maybe three or four years to the next Blot. :dawkins101:

Rockopolis fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Jul 2, 2013

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

Cream_Filling posted:

And I don't want to :can: but isn't it a bit ahistorical for all italians and such to be quite so dark skinned?

You're in luck, some modder has agreed with you!

edit: That's just their first try at slathering whitening cream all over the CK2 portraits. He, and a few other forumites, have agreed that they are too pale and will be setting them out to tan in the sun for a bit. The next version of the mod will see to that.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Jul 2, 2013

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

Is that supposed to be Emperor Da Vinci in the lower right?

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Major Isoor posted:

Hey there, can anyone tell me why CK2's checksum is no longer matching up between mine and my friend's Steam versions of the game? Both are up to date, have the exact same DLC as each other and have the same tweaks to the game files as each other (I made sure to save them in a seperate folder so I knew what I changed), yet they're still different, even after messing around starting games then quitting to the menu. :(

In the future, make your changes in a separate mod directory so you don't have to worry about that. For now, just have Steam re-verify your game, which should wipe you back to stock. Make sure you have the correct checksum that the forum lists for your version of the game.

Then create a custom mod with your files that you want to change, and give that to your friend. You should have identical checksums at that point.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

nutranurse posted:

You're in luck, some modder has agreed with you!

edit: That's just their first try at slathering whitening cream all over the CK2 portraits. He, and a few other forumites, have agreed that they are too pale and will be setting them out to tan in the sun for a bit. The next version of the mod will see to that.

I love how someone starts complaining about how some of the portraits have black eyebrows with brown hair, stating that it's not natural. As someone with naturally black eyebrows and brown hair this is funny and sad at the same time. :gbsmith:

Futhark
Apr 3, 2009
I'm gradually coming to grips with vanilla CK2, having started as Earl of Dublin and consolidated control over a couple of neighbouring counties (Leinster and Kildare) as the Petty Kingdom of Tara. However, I'm a bit unsure on the best way to manage my little empire from here - especially on how titles relate to each other. I'm starting to get notices that my sons (incl. my heir) are 'unlanded' and they're agitating for their own land to rule (which I've ignored for the time being, taking the hit on prestige and opinion). Is there any real benefit to giving your sons a county to rule (esp. in a small 3-county province), or does this risk breaking up the kingdom after the current king's death (even with primogeniture succession)? Would these son-ruled counties even still be in my kingdom, or would they be independent?

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun
Woah, I've never had that happen before. Got captured in war and instead of forcing me to surrender, he blinded me and released me. Shouldn't have let me go :black101:

Sheen Sheen
Nov 18, 2002

chunkles posted:

Woah, I've never had that happen before. Got captured in war and instead of forcing me to surrender, he blinded me and released me. Shouldn't have let me go :black101:

Wait, can you do that to your prisoners? I've seen foreign rulers get blinded before, but I figured they went blind from disease or whatever.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Sheen Sheen posted:

Wait, can you do that to your prisoners? I've seen foreign rulers get blinded before, but I figured they went blind from disease or whatever.

It's the best reason to play in the Byzantine Empire. Blinding and castrating people doesn't get old.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
What are my options for getting rid of an independent county as a merchant republic? As Pisa I've formed the duchy of Sardinia but I can't press the claim because the one county I don't have is independent and this Genoese count keeps getting rowdy every decade or so and fighting off the 10k troops in mercenaries and levies he can raise up is getting hella old. I would think "starts mega poo poo and invades Corsica every few years" would be a valid CB even to a patrician republic, but noooooooo.

wootonius
Feb 27, 2009

Willie Tomg posted:

What are my options for getting rid of an independent county as a merchant republic? As Pisa I've formed the duchy of Sardinia but I can't press the claim because the one county I don't have is independent and this Genoese count keeps getting rowdy every decade or so and fighting off the 10k troops in mercenaries and levies he can raise up is getting hella old. I would think "starts mega poo poo and invades Corsica every few years" would be a valid CB even to a patrician republic, but noooooooo.

Any chance you can generate the plot power to kill him?

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

Man, playing as a duke in bumblefuck Italy is hard. At least I make my money back when I win these wars the republics are always declaring on me for some reason.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

chunkles posted:

Man, playing as a duke in bumblefuck Italy is hard. At least I make my money back when I win these wars the republics are always declaring on me for some reason.

Which part of bumblefuck? You can always just swear fealty to the Byzantines/HRE for protection until you are big enough to tell the Republics to gently caress off.

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

Nuclearmonkee posted:

Which part of bumblefuck? You can always just swear fealty to the Byzantines/HRE for protection until you are big enough to tell the Republics to gently caress off.

Benevento. I'm playing an early start so there's no HRE, but I think I'll go ahead and swear fealty to Italy and stab around for awhile.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

wootonius posted:

Any chance you can generate the plot power to kill him?

Totally, but it starts a long and nasty war with the Genoese if/when it gets discovered because assassination *is* a valid CB but having a history of routinely raising stacks of 10k+ troops and attempting to sieze my drat trading posts is not, and if the guy does die, I can't invade his six year old daughter's territory because its independent.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Is a retinue of nothing but cataphracts my best bet or should I use different type of units?

wootonius
Feb 27, 2009

Willie Tomg posted:

Totally, but it starts a long and nasty war with the Genoese if/when it gets discovered because assassination *is* a valid CB but having a history of routinely raising stacks of 10k+ troops and attempting to sieze my drat trading posts is not, and if the guy does die, I can't invade his six year old daughter's territory because its independent.

Yeah, silly CB always getting in the way. I have my chancellors perma-fabricating claims in order to generate as many potential opponents (victims) around me as possible.

thatdarnedbob
Jan 1, 2006
why must this exist?

Willie Tomg posted:

I'm going to assume that you can't declare war, and the tool tip that you're seeing has a red X next to "Is Independent". If this is the case, that actually means you can't declare war because the condition "Is Independent" is not being being fulfilled. That means you need to attack this dude's liege. You said the guy is Genoese; this probably means that his liege at some point is the Doge of Genoa. Find him, declare a war for your de jure claim.

wootonius
Feb 27, 2009

thatdarnedbob posted:

I'm going to assume that you can't declare war, and the tool tip that you're seeing has a red X next to "Is Independent". If this is the case, that actually means you can't declare war because the condition "Is Independent" is not being being fulfilled. That means you need to attack this dude's liege. You said the guy is Genoese; this probably means that his liege at some point is the Doge of Genoa. Find him, declare a war for your de jure claim.

Oh yeah, this too, can't believe I missed that.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

thatdarnedbob posted:

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa that's it. Freakin' interface. Thank you both!

wootonius
Feb 27, 2009

Willie Tomg posted:

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa that's it. Freakin' interface. Thank you both!

Have fun curb stomping their whole family.

Incidentally, may I recommend my new favorite war tactic:

Executing everyone I take prisoner before making peace.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.

wootonius posted:

Have fun curb stomping their whole family.

Incidentally, may I recommend my new favorite war tactic:

Executing everyone I take prisoner before making peace.
But who would I use for the blot?

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012

Yeesh. This will be quite the implosion sooner or later. The current Emperor is 17 however so let's see how this goes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chickpea Roar
Jan 11, 2006

Merdre!

Major Isoor posted:

Every time you start a game and resign to the menu the checksum changes, so that may be your problem. Try quitting to the desktop and restarting the game if you haven't already.

• Locked thread