Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Cast_No_Shadow posted:

They came up with carpet death but never thought of hanging?

Not a lot of trees on the steppes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Also hanging is so impersonal, crushing a bunch of hungarians under the weight of the general's platform has so much more style.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
I think Jamuga, Temujin's blood brother turned rival, was known for boiling people alive. But even the other mongols thought this was a bit much.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Can anyone recommend a good book about Viking society?

Doc Science
Jan 7, 2010
This is an amazing thread, everyone's answers here are incredible. I just got done reading about the blood taboo and that poo poo is still blowing my mind. I'd never heard of anything like that but having read about it now its impact totally makes sense. Do you all think it has carried on at all into modern days? Mongols and gladiators aside, I wanted to ask, what do you all think is the overall most feared weapon on the medieval battlefield? I'm think some sort of siege weapon maybe? I want a professional opinion though, if someone will offer one.

Edit for mongoloid grammar

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos
I'm thinking there's some nuance lost on the blood taboo thing, given how much and how effectively they waged war.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
I vaguely remember reading some muslim account where they're horrified by the mongols' slaughtering practices, which involved opening the animal up and stopping the heart to keep the blood from spilling out. Versus in muslim law where you have to cut the neck and drain all the blood out before you can eat it because blood is unclean.

However, I really think trying to connect this to archery traditions is pushing it and just doesn't seem convincing to me. It just feels overbroad and without nuance, and seems to fall into the trap of assuming historical peoples were superstitious boobs and also overestimating the explanatory value of things we've heard just because of limited information.

edit: found a ref: http://books.google.com/books?id=0StLNcKQNUoC&lpg=PA207&ots=RrOyBTY4a0&pg=PA207#v=onepage&f=false

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Doc Science posted:

Mongols and gladiators aside, I wanted to ask, what do you all think is the overall most feared weapon on the medieval battlefield? I'm think some sort of siege weapon maybe? I want a professional opinion though, if someone will offer one.
Firearms.

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos
I kind of doubt siege weapons would generally be considered terrifying, given how long they take to assemble(or even construct) and target. The typical footsoldier likely wouldn't see one of those unless a fortified position was involved, and then they're used more against the fortification than the soldier.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
I bet it was pretty terrifying if you were the guy picked to light the fuse.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Honestly I think the answer to this one transcends time periods: "The one pointed at you."

Being clever aside though, fire. Fire weapons are usually the most feared regardless of time period. From fire arrows to fire pots to greek fire to white phosphorous, they are excellent for getting soldiers to go NOPE gently caress THIS and run away.

Amyclas
Mar 9, 2013

Doc Science posted:

This is an amazing thread, everyone's answers here are incredible. I just got done reading about the blood taboo and that poo poo is still blowing my mind. I'd never heard of anything like that but having read about it now its impact totally makes sense. Do you all think it has carried on at all into modern days? Mongols and gladiators aside, I wanted to ask, what do you all think is the overall most feared weapon on the medieval battlefield? I'm think some sort of siege weapon maybe? I want a professional opinion though, if someone will offer one.

Edit for mongoloid grammar

Are you expecting us to say that rock flinging trebuchets and catapults or menacing looking hand-held weapons designed to pierce armour were somehow used as terror weapons?

I'd say the most frightening weapon to a medieval soldier was guns. Because they were loud, and new.

The most common method used to wear down morale would be attrition: disease, starvation, exposure and all manner of deprivation. Particularly in siege warfare, or from badly planned marches in inhospitable terrain.

Fire-based weapons might have been possible, but it is extremely unlikely that barrels of burning oil or pitch based weapons were used: the cost would have been astronomical for that time. Oil could only be extracted from surface sources, and was extremely rare. Very sophisticated markets would have been needed to trade it. Tar was also used to fuel fire weapons, but again it is a rare commodity.

Many exotic fire weapons of the ancient world were not available in the medieval era simply because international trade had collapsed with the fall of Rome.

Amyclas fucked around with this message at 08:04 on Jul 2, 2013

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

veekie posted:

I kind of doubt siege weapons would generally be considered terrifying, given how long they take to assemble(or even construct) and target. The typical footsoldier likely wouldn't see one of those unless a fortified position was involved, and then they're used more against the fortification than the soldier.
The earliest European firearms, which were pretty small, were definitely used as anti-personnel weapons. Also, artillery is operated with :gifttank:SCIENCE:gifttank:, which as we all know may as well be black wizardry.

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 08:19 on Jul 2, 2013

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos

Amyclas posted:

Are you expecting us to say that rock flinging trebuchets and catapults or menacing looking hand-held weapons designed to pierce armour were somehow used as terror weapons?

I'd say the most frightening weapon to a medieval soldier was guns. Because they were loud, and new.

The most common method used to wear down morale would be attrition: disease, starvation, exposure and all manner of deprivation. Particularly in siege warfare, or from badly planned marches in inhospitable terrain.

Fire-based weapons might have been possible, but it is extremely unlikely that barrels of burning oil or pitch based weapons were used: the cost would have been astronomical for that time. Oil could only be extracted from surface sources, and was extremely rare. Very sophisticated markets would have been needed to trade it. Tar was also used to fuel fire weapons, but again it is a rare commodity.

Many exotic fire weapons of the ancient world were not available in the medieval era simply because international trade had collapsed with the fall of Rome.

Seems like grenades would have gone well as terror weapons. Loud, deadly and terrifying. I think China used those quite a bit, barrels of explosive crap used to break formations and morale.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Cream_Filling posted:

I bet it was pretty terrifying if you were the guy picked to light the fuse.

Even if you were the king.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
I'd say firearms as well, maybe crossbows. Knights and other professional soldiers hated crossbows because after a week of training a peasant could kill them fairly easily with one, although I don't know if that disdain for crossbowmen translated to fear.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

veekie posted:

Seems like grenades would have gone well as terror weapons. Loud, deadly and terrifying. I think China used those quite a bit, barrels of explosive crap used to break formations and morale.

A significant number of the Mongols' arrows were tipped with whistles, whose sole purpose was to scare the poo poo out of the enemy with their noise.

Obdicut
May 15, 2012

"What election?"

Deteriorata posted:

A significant number of the Mongols' arrows were tipped with whistles, whose sole purpose was to scare the poo poo out of the enemy with their noise.

Not sole purpose, they were also used for signalling and for hunting. But they were awesome.

Rodrigo Diaz
Apr 16, 2007

Knights who are at the wars eat their bread in sorrow;
their ease is weariness and sweat;
they have one good day after many bad

feedmegin posted:

I'll say! The motte in motte and bailey is an artificial hill and the bailey is the outer layer of defence, after all.

Yes and no. This is something I meant to deal with earlier, but there seems to be a common misunderstanding here that motte-and-bailey castles were exclusively wooden and that the 'bailey' is basically any permanently-enclosed area below the motte. I blame Medieval: Total War.

Motte-and-bailey, really, refers to the overall shape of the castle, specifically the high motte and, on one side of it, a lower raised bailey. This is distinct from castles comprised of a motte fully encircled by a secondary wall, which seems to be what Le Puiset, for example, was in 1111. That motte-and-bailey is not a contemporary term and descriptions of castles are typically lacking in good detail for my period, makes identifying them difficult. Consequently, we don't *really* know how common they were.

Sartana posted:

To what extent was chivalry actually practiced? *snip*

For any understanding of what chivalry was and how it functioned we must understand first that 'chivalry' has no firm definition, or indeed much of a definition at all.

It is a term that is very hard to pin down, because it is tonal, contextual, and shifts with time.

Maurice Keen's Chivalry provides us with something approaching a definition.

Maurice Keen posted:

Chivalry cannot be divorced from the martial world of the mounted warrior: it cannot be divorced from the aristocracy, because knights commonly were men of high lineage: and ... it very frequently carries ethical and religious overtones

edit: For a better answer than that you should look at three books: Keen's Chivalry, Strickland's Chivalry and Warfare, and Kaeuper's Chivalry and Violence. The latter has some problems but it's still interesting.

Amyclas posted:

Slavery was completely outlawed in England at the end of the middle ages by Elizabeth 1 in 1569.

Woah woah woah, hold up. Elizabeth I is most definitely not part of the Middle Ages. Even generous parameters for the Middle Ages put you almost 70 years off.

Amyclas posted:

Ahaha did you even read the link you posted? Fire-based weapons were used throughout the Middle Ages. Red-hot iron, flaming missiles, and of course fuckin Greek Fire. Off the top of my head I can think of 6 sieges in a 50 year span in northern France that used fire as a potent weapon. Once fire was employed by catapults flinging 'flaming dross', as Orderic calls it, another it was red-hot arrow points, two were wagons stacked up with flammables and covered in grease to burn gates down, and two are just plain old fire from torches. Pitch was really common as an adhesive and a sealant for boats, buckets, etc. I don't know where you get the idea it was astronomically expensive.

Rodrigo Diaz fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Jul 2, 2013

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Rodrigo Diaz posted:

Ahaha did you even read the link you posted? Fire-based weapons were used throughout the Middle Ages. Red-hot iron, flaming missiles, and of course fuckin Greek Fire. Off the top of my head I can think of 6 sieges in a 50 year span in northern France that used fire as a potent weapon. Once fire was employed by catapults flinging 'flaming dross', as Orderic calls it, another it was red-hot arrow points, two were wagons stacked up with flammables and covered in grease to burn gates down, and two are just plain old fire from torches. Pitch was really common as an adhesive and a sealant for boats, buckets, etc. I don't know where you get the idea it was astronomically expensive.
You can also stick gunpowder in a clay bulb and make a grenade. Or fill grenades with scorpions or something.

Speaking of chemical weapons, this book is too early for the Middle Ages, but it does rule. http://www.amazon.com/Greek-Poison-Arrows-Scorpion-Bombs/dp/158567348X

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Confusion arises about the words "pitch" and "tar" because in the modern world people rarely encounter anything other than the petroleum-based substances that now carry those names. The medieval pitch and tar are substances derived from pine and other coniferous trees. They have very different properties than the bituminous tar we are familiar with. Pine tar has a much lower viscosity than bituminous tar and flows at relatively low heats. They were very common in the middle ages as they were readily available in forests and they had a thousand and one uses. So in the middle ages, if you hear "pitch" or "tar" be aware they're talking about cooked pine sap, a substance that while still highly flammable was altogether less nasty and difficult than bituminous tars.

For example, when I heard of tarring and feathering as a kid I had a hard time understanding how people survived tarring and feathering, seeing as bituminous tar has to be heated to lethal temperatures just to be poured, and so viscous it would suffocate a man if you poured it over him. This confusion was not improved by an on-screen depiction of tarring and feathering in some movie where it was clearly bituminous tar. It suddenly made sense when I found out that before the 20th century tar was a completely different substance that would flow at around 100 degrees Fahrenheit and was thin enough that victims could open their mouths even after being coated.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Arglebargle III posted:

Confusion arises about the words "pitch" and "tar" because in the modern world people rarely encounter anything other than the petroleum-based substances that now carry those names. The medieval pitch and tar are substances derived from pine and other coniferous trees. They have very different properties than the bituminous tar we are familiar with. Pine tar has a much lower viscosity than bituminous tar and flows at relatively low heats. They were very common in the middle ages as they were readily available in forests and they had a thousand and one uses. So in the middle ages, if you hear "pitch" or "tar" be aware they're talking about cooked pine sap, a substance that while still highly flammable was altogether less nasty and difficult than bituminous tars.

For example, when I heard of tarring and feathering as a kid I had a hard time understanding how people survived tarring and feathering, seeing as bituminous tar has to be heated to lethal temperatures just to be poured, and so viscous it would suffocate a man if you poured it over him. This confusion was not improved by an on-screen depiction of tarring and feathering in some movie where it was clearly bituminous tar. It suddenly made sense when I found out that before the 20th century tar was a completely different substance that would flow at around 100 degrees Fahrenheit and was thin enough that victims could open their mouths even after being coated.

Wait, pitch doesn't come from trees? :confused:

Rodrigo Diaz
Apr 16, 2007

Smoking Crow posted:

Wait, pitch doesn't come from trees? :confused:

It does, but bituminous tar, as used in road works, does not.

He said this in that very post.

Has running head first into a wall become one of the criteria for posting or something?

Rodrigo Diaz fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Jul 3, 2013

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

We always looked for pitch pine in Scouts because it would burn wet. That's what I always thought pitch was.

Rodrigo Diaz
Apr 16, 2007

Smoking Crow posted:

We always looked for pitch pine in Scouts because it would burn wet. That's what I always thought pitch was.

Pitch is cooked pine resin. Pitch pine has lots of resin which (surprise surprise) can be cooked down into pitch. Am I getting through to you?

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Yeah, I'm dumb. Sorry.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

The guy who posted about how tar and pitch and oil would be amazingly expensive because they're hard to extract even from surface sources is clearly confusing modern colloquial meanings of those words with the medieval meanings. You're obviously a special snowflake who knows all about pine pitch but this other guy is confused, I used to be confused about it, so I thought I'd post an explanation.

Sorry you're so great.

I have to say it was really disturbing to watch that historically inaccurate depiction of tarring and feathering as a kid with a decent understanding of what sorts of things can kill people. It was clearly supposed to be* really thick, steaming-hot bituminous tar being poured over these guys' heads with stupid glub-glub sound effects. The people on screen treated it like a joke and I was sitting there horrified like "they can't breathe! they're burning! oh god this is horribly they're dying!" but then they didn't die and it was all a joke and man that was hosed up. At no point did they show any plausible method of allowing the victims to breathe, but hey all in good fun I guess? Yikes.

*obviously it was fake and they didn't really kill two people on camera

Arglebargle III fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Jul 3, 2013

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

Rodrigo Diaz posted:

Pitch is cooked pine resin. Pitch pine has lots of resin which (surprise surprise) can be cooked down into pitch. Am I getting through to you?

Dude, relax. Tone down the hostility a ton. The guy was just trying to learn something about medieval history in the medieval history thread and you go attack him because you knew something he didn't. Take a breather.

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos
Well that answers how they got pitch before they worked with fossil fuels I guess. Didn't realize it was made of pine sap before, but given how flammable some resins can be, I should have known.

Wonder what they'd have done with some australian vegetation...

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

Hydrolith posted:

I'm still working my way through the thread, so apologies if this has been asked before.

Did skirmishers play much role in medieval warfare? Was there any equivalent of Roman velites? I'm guessing the shift away from heavy infantry to heavy cavalry meant there wasn't much opportunity to harass the other side's line with javelins and stones and/or risked your skirmishers getting smashed to pieces by the cavalry...

I can't say much for the rest of Europe but the Irish Kerns would be what you are looking for. During the middle ages the Irish armies consisted of mainly kerns (skirmishers) and gallowglass (mercenary heavy infantry) along with some noble cavalry. Kerns were lightly armored, fast, and favoured using darts/javelins to bows. They carried out cattle raids against other local chieftains and whatnot but never saw action outside of Ireland due to it being a patchwork of warring states. That being said, once the Normans invaded the kerns were such a pain in the rear end that the Normans had to pass a law requiring that trees be cleared from roadsides to prevent ambushes.

Amyclas
Mar 9, 2013

Byzantium also used light javelin soldiers, greek peltast and akontistai soldiers was still a common role for the lower classes to be drafted into.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
I'm also just working my way through the thread, but I have a question. I had heard that as heavier metal armors (mail, scale, plate, ect) became more common that bludgeoning weapons such as maces, hammers, and picks became more common (relatively) because they could break bones and cause internal bruising and bleeding without needing to pierce the armor itself. I also heard that it was possible to crunch a breastplate to make it impossible to bend or twist the torso, and even make breathing difficult or impossible. Is any of this true, or just BS and videogame logic?

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

I know volley fire was A Thing in gunpowder warfare, but did pre-gunpowder bowmen or crossbowmen likewise practice something like it, or was it all fire-at-will with them?

Rabhadh
Aug 26, 2007

Odobenidae posted:

Irish Kerns never saw action outside of Ireland

This isn't true, they were pretty common mercenaries throughout Northern Europe. Albrecht Durer drew this when he saw them in Nuremberg in the early 15th century.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Who What Now posted:

I'm also just working my way through the thread, but I have a question. I had heard that as heavier metal armors (mail, scale, plate, ect) became more common that bludgeoning weapons such as maces, hammers, and picks became more common (relatively) because they could break bones and cause internal bruising and bleeding without needing to pierce the armor itself. I also heard that it was possible to crunch a breastplate to make it impossible to bend or twist the torso, and even make breathing difficult or impossible. Is any of this true, or just BS and videogame logic?

I know a lot of what is traditionally (at least among the D&D crowd) thought of as blunt weapon are actually piercing weapons. For example, if you look more closely at a flanged mace, a very common design, you'll realize that the flanges are actually designed for piercing. Same for warhammers, the warhammer is nothing like the maul that fantasy artists often draw, it's a very small striking head and a spike on the reverse side for armor piercing.

Ofaloaf posted:

I know volley fire was A Thing in gunpowder warfare, but did pre-gunpowder bowmen or crossbowmen likewise practice something like it, or was it all fire-at-will with them?

Bowmen shot as a unit, crossbowmen I don't know.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Arglebargle III posted:

Bowmen shot as a unit, crossbowmen I don't know.

Yeah, I would think it was some of each. Mounted bowmen could close on a target pretty quickly and get close enough for a good shot on a single target. There were certainly massed bowmen who would just rain arrows from the sky without a specific target. I suspect the latter was more common.

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos
Wouldn't even individual targets benefit from volley fire? It's not like volleying meant you pointed your bow in their general direction and loosed, you just synchronized your attack for maximum impact and payoff, by firing in a volley the odds of your arrow finding someone was maximized even if you missed your primary target, and the morale effects of a wall of pointy death coming from the sky would be greater too.

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

I could do with your...assistance.
Speaking of warhammers, how common were two-handed axes and maces? The Danish axe is pretty famous, but I can't think of any others aside from lochaber axes and bardiches, which as I understand were more like polearms than axes. I'm not sure I've even seen a historical two-handed mace before.

For that matter, are there any surviving manuscripts on the use of axes/maces of any kind? I've only seen ones for longswords, sword-and-buckler combat, and halberds.

Dedhed
Feb 27, 2005
Might not be technically medieval, but...

What sort of soldier is the guy on the left in this french political cartoon from the late 1600s? The guy labeled "dragon missionary" or maybe "missionary of Satan (dragon?)"?. I'm assuming he's a ridiculous stereotype, but of what or who?

Also, not really sure where to ask this (if there's a better thread for it please tell me), but does anyone know if this cartoon is translated somewhere? I'm guessing its from the french wars of religion. The weird thing is that it seems like the guy on the left is a labeled a heretic, but then the cartoon seems to trying to get you to sympathize with him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dedhed
Feb 27, 2005

Beaumains posted:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mabinogion

A collection of Welsh Arthurian tales that hearken back to an earlier, more mythological kind of King Arthur. It's been a long time since I read it, but I recall knights being able to talk to animals. And giant animals doing crazy things. And killing a giant by combing its hair. Fun stuff.

It's important to note that they (the knights) were able to comb the giant's hair only because they first retrieved hair care supplies stashed in an angry boar's mane.

But to have a chance at the boar, the protagonist needed to get the services of the knights of the round table. To do this he goes to Camelot and gets a haircut from King Arthur, which means that King Arthur owes him the services of all the knights (and merlin too) forever.

Basically what I'm saying is that its hair all the way down :D

Dedhed fucked around with this message at 13:42 on Jul 6, 2013

• Locked thread