Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Xenocides
Jan 14, 2008

This world looks very scary....

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Be sure to call in sick so you can watch the Wimbledon finals!

I wouldn't bother. The blancmanges are pretty much certain to win it again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

dreaming of that face again

it's bright and blue and shimmering

grinning wide and comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes

Xenocides posted:

I wouldn't bother. The blancmanges are pretty much certain to win it again.

Depends on how hungry the fans are this year.

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES
Okay everybody. Here's what's been happening. I've made two major steps in getting myself out of my current situation.

First was the interview. I called Friday and scheduled an interview for today at 12:30. I switched shifts with a different co-worker; he covers me today, I cover him Friday. The company handles legal documents which include subpoenas, records, and the like. I went in dressed to impressed with my resume ready; and after a typing test and writing a business letter, I was interviewed by a manager. The manager was impressed by my typing and letter writing skills and after a brief discussion, he wants to do a follow up two weeks from now. I'm gonna get a call to schedule next week. I didn't ask salary because I thought I'd overreach but a quick search says about $31,000 on average. I'll ask the specifics next week. My main task would be editing. I just got an email stating that the position is not available at the time being. gently caress, gently caress, gently caress :smith:

Second was finally reaching out for therapy. What I need immediately is a diagnosis so I can get medication. I've gone thru whatever issues have been plaguing me for way too long and I need medication. So I stepped in to a local clinic and gave them my info. I haven't set up an appointment yet: I need to double-check my schedule first. First session would be $250 but all I need is the diagnosis and the prescription so I can turn around and go to the City of Chino mental health services. City services are $5 a season: considerably cheaper as it is a teaching facility.

I need time to figure out the third step: time to first talk to my manager about stable hours. And from there, it's going to be finding a second part-time job or Resume to Interviews; maybe both.

Robot_Rumpus
Apr 4, 2004

Benny the Snake posted:

Okay everybody. Here's what's been happening. I've made two major steps in getting myself out of my current situation.

First was the interview. I called Friday and scheduled an interview for today at 12:30. I switched shifts with a different co-worker; he covers me today, I cover him Friday. The company handles legal documents which include subpoenas, records, and the like. I went in dressed to impressed with my resume ready; and after a typing test and writing a business letter, I was interviewed by a manager. The manager was impressed by my typing and letter writing skills and after a brief discussion, he wants to do a follow up two weeks from now. I'm gonna get a call to schedule next week. I didn't ask salary because I thought I'd overreach but a quick search says about $31,000 on average. I'll ask the specifics next week. My main task would be editing. I just got an email stating that the position is not available at the time being. gently caress, gently caress, gently caress :smith:

Second was finally reaching out for therapy. What I need immediately is a diagnosis so I can get medication. I've gone thru whatever issues have been plaguing me for way too long and I need medication. So I stepped in to a local clinic and gave them my info. I haven't set up an appointment yet: I need to double-check my schedule first. First session would be $250 but all I need is the diagnosis and the prescription so I can turn around and go to the City of Chino mental health services. City services are $5 a season: considerably cheaper as it is a teaching facility.

I need time to figure out the third step: time to first talk to my manager about stable hours. And from there, it's going to be finding a second part-time job or Resume to Interviews; maybe both.

A third step that shouldn't need stating but in your case I feel it does... don't motherfuck the guy when it is your turn to cover his shift on Friday.

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES

Robot_Rumpus posted:

A third step that shouldn't need stating but in your case I feel it does... don't motherfuck the guy when it is your turn to cover his shift on Friday.
Nope. I burned bridges with one guy, I don't want to burn another one.

CravingSolace
Mar 3, 2012
Unless you answered this in your previous post (and I don't think you did), how much do you spend on comics and whatnot?

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

Benny the Snake posted:

RTI would be a full 1/8th of your monthly income. You seem to be getting interviews, it's passing them that you need and RTI only does that aspect as a bonus extra thing.

(I'd comment about English Major and writing services, but I used the glue from that particular horse to put my desk back together a couple months back.)

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES

Ursine Asylum posted:

RTI would be a full 1/8th of your monthly income. You seem to be getting interviews, it's passing them that you need and RTI only does that aspect as a bonus extra thing.

(I'd comment about English Major and writing services, but I used the glue from that particular horse to put my desk back together a couple months back.)
That's what I've noticed too. I'm getting interviews at the very least but nothing's sticking. I don't want to juggle two part time jobs; I want a full-time salary job. Trolling job sites hasn't gotten me anywhere: I need a resume service. I'm going to look into RTI right now.

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

Benny the Snake posted:

That's what I've noticed too. I'm getting interviews at the very least but nothing's sticking. I don't want to juggle two part time jobs; I want a full-time salary job. Trolling job sites hasn't gotten me anywhere: I need a resume service. I'm going to look into RTI right now.

You realize RTI isn't going to be able to do your homework for you once you get hired, right? Look at yourself: You are English major who wants to get a job writing or editing who is going to hire an outside company to write and edit his resume. This is only going to lead to more of you being quickly fired from places you aren't emotionally or intellectually prepared to work at. If you don't address your root issues, no amount of resume doctoring is going to get you anywhere permanent.

EDIT: Also, if you're getting interviews it's not your resume that's the problem. Jesus, Benny, how the gently caress did you even get to that conclusion? Nobody who calls you in for an interview decides not to hire you because of your resume, they just don't bother with the interview in the first place.

new phone who dis fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Jul 2, 2013

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out
I'm sorry that job opportunity didn't work out. Keep looking!

in_cahoots
Sep 12, 2011
Honest question: do you edit or reread your posts here? They contain numerous grammatical errors, and not necessarily things you would find with a spell check- improperly-used turns of phrase, poor punctuation, and the like. The thing is, they're not small mistakes that people make in a rush, they're fundamental misunderstandings of how grammar works. If you can't look at your post history and find mistakes, you're not going to get a job as an editor.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Benny the Snake posted:

Nope. I burned bridges with one guy, I don't want to burn another one.

You burned bridges with everyone that guy talks to BTW.

Also, you "want" a full time salaried job, but crash carts. Get help son.

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES

in_cahoots posted:

Honest question: do you edit or reread your posts here? They contain numerous grammatical errors, and not necessarily things you would find with a spell check- improperly-used turns of phrase, poor punctuation, and the like. The thing is, they're not small mistakes that people make in a rush, they're fundamental misunderstandings of how grammar works. If you can't look at your post history and find mistakes, you're not going to get a job as an editor.
Posts are a one and done thing unless I want to put more thought into it. If I'm writing something for a blog or my personal writing, I write a first draft, let it sit for a while, then go back and take a second look.

And I've just purchased an RTI package. I hope I'll be able to get a career while using this service. And I do intend to put as much effort as possible into it.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Benny the Snake posted:

Posts are a one and done thing unless I want to put more thought into it. If I'm writing something for a blog or my personal writing, I write a first draft, let it sit for a while, then go back and take a second look.

And I've just purchased an RTI package. I hope I'll be able to get a career while using this service. And I do intend to put as much effort as possible into it.

So just ignore me. But please how much did the "RTI package" cost? Entertain me please.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Benny the Snake posted:

Second was finally reaching out for therapy. What I need immediately is a diagnosis so I can get medication. I've gone thru whatever issues have been plaguing me for way too long and I need medication. So I stepped in to a local clinic and gave them my info. I haven't set up an appointment yet: I need to double-check my schedule first. First session would be $250 but all I need is the diagnosis and the prescription so I can turn around and go to the City of Chino mental health services.
Don't set yourself up for disappointment. Decent psychiatrists don't see a patient once, then extrude a prescription. It is possible the visit will work out that way. It is likelier the visit will be "I think the diagnosis is X, but it might be Y; try this medication and see me again in six weeks."

I looked it up and the City of Chino does counseling, which is a really important part of mental health treatment. However, they can't monitor your medication and see if it's doing what it's supposed to be doing.

Dr. Lariat
Jul 1, 2004

by Lowtax

Darth123123 posted:

So just ignore me. But please how much did the "RTI package" cost? Entertain me please.

About 2 bills+, for someone to proofread his resume.

Otis Reddit
Nov 14, 2006
This is amazing stuff. Thanks to whoever bumped it recently.

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

Darth123123 posted:

RTI did my resume from what amounted from scratch for about $120 a year or two back. I would personally say it was worth it, but I'm a programmer and HR-ese is a foreign language to me-- I've never had an in-person at a company and didn't receive an offer, though. Which is why vv this poo poo vv seems like the opposite of a good idea.

Benny the Snake posted:

Did you even read what I-

Benny the Snake posted:

:psyduck:

It's Resume to Interviews. They rewrite your resume so that you can get past the 1/600 odds of getting in front of someone. They can't pre-prompt you on questions that you'll get, and they can't sit on your shoulder and tell you "No, don't tell them about that time you missed work when you said you were hungover" if they ask you "Have you lied to your employers before".

Jesus, Benny. You need therapy, not more in person interviews.

Alliterate Addict fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Jul 2, 2013

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
I'm not going to rip the guy for wanting to have his resume professionally typed up, but at the same time shelling out a few hundred dollars - a sizeable percentage of his monthly income - just because he got turned down after 1 interview is moving into :psyduck: territory. Being turned down on your first serious interview is hardly an indication that your resume/CV is bad. I would be more worried if you were spamming it to a large number of positions that you're imminently qualified for and only hearing back from a handful for interviews. Your resume/CV gets your foot in the door, its up to you to nail the interview and get the job, and in the current job market its extremely unlikely that you'll get hired for the first "real" job you apply to unless you have someone on the inside pulling strings.

Palisader
Mar 14, 2012

DESPAIR MORTALS, FOR I WISH TO PLAY PATTY-CAKE
Yeah, I'm leaning on the side of deliberate trolling at this point.

Benny: I think I should use the RTI service!
Everyone: That's a terrible idea, RTI only helps you get interviews.
Benny: Yeah, I get interviews easy enough. I definitely think I should buy RTI!
Everyone: What? No, you need someone to help you ace an interview, not get one.
Benny: Thanks everyone, I bought the RTI!
Everyone: :suicide:

sports
Sep 1, 2012
Have you looked at any service/retail jobs that have a bit more vertical mobility? You could buy yourself some more time looking for a career if you land a menial job that pays above minimum wage. Is there a Kumon center or something that offers positions for tutoring?

adventure in the sandbox
Nov 24, 2005

Things change

Benny the Snake posted:

Salary?? Really??????? What skills do you have to bring to a salary position? Do you know what "salary" really means?

You want 40 hrs a week, full time, regular schedule. You can hardly push carts at Target; you are not ready for a salaried position.

Dr. Lariat
Jul 1, 2004

by Lowtax

Palisader posted:

Yeah, I'm leaning on the side of deliberate trolling at this point.

Benny: I think I should use the RTI service!
Everyone: That's a terrible idea, RTI only helps you get interviews.
Benny: Yeah, I get interviews easy enough. I definitely think I should buy RTI!
Everyone: What? No, you need someone to help you ace an interview, not get one.
Benny: Thanks everyone, I bought the RTI!
Everyone: :suicide:

I am inclined to agree and the only thing keeping me from calling phony is his movie review website actually existing.

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES

Geoj posted:

I'm not going to rip the guy for wanting to have his resume professionally typed up, but at the same time shelling out a few hundred dollars - a sizeable percentage of his monthly income - just because he got turned down after 1 interview is moving into :psyduck: territory.
More like I've been throwing my resume at hundreds of online posts and I figure I've only averaged say one professional interview a month. I only have one resume and that's to apply to general clerical positions. I need help making a better resume.

As for the interview, the night before I did my research on the employer. I looked up the place, the services they offer, the locations, and what skills I had that I could apply to the position. I typed it all down on a piece of paper and printed it out, along with a fresh copy of my resume and a few writing samples (research papers) just in case they asked. I made sure that my posture was right: sit up straight, get in close but not too close; keep my hands on top of the table apart. It was to show that I was open to whatever was offered and the tasks associated. Was it a good interview? It was sure better than the one in February where I choked and brought up family issues. I'm improving, slowly but surely, with practice; I walk out of every interview reflecting on what mistakes I made wrong. For this one, I would have to say off hand that the one big thing was how the interviewer did most of the talking to the point where I didn't do much as far as selling myself. He asked a lot of rhetorical questions and I didn't ask enough which gives me the impression that he was letting me down easy by leading the interview.

All I can say is that my next interview will be better than this one. That's not to say I don't need coaching; I actually got coaching on Sunday. My Uncle Bob's a police veteran and my Uncle Samuel is a retired Fire chief: they've done plenty of interviews on both sides of the desk and the tips and pointers they gave me were indispensable.

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Don't set yourself up for disappointment. Decent psychiatrists don't see a patient once, then extrude a prescription. It is possible the visit will work out that way. It is likelier the visit will be "I think the diagnosis is X, but it might be Y; try this medication and see me again in six weeks."

I looked it up and the City of Chino does counseling, which is a really important part of mental health treatment. However, they can't monitor your medication and see if it's doing what it's supposed to be doing.
Thanks for the info. I'll ask the psychologist how the process will go.

CravingSolace
Mar 3, 2012
I know this may seem small, but you kept your hands on the table the whole time? And apart? Not clasped together in in your lap?

I'm trying to imagine what that looks like from the person on the other side of the table and I can't help but feel that it would look awkward. I've always just kept my hands in my lap. Like I said, I know it seems silly, but to me, someone sitting with their hands like that would read as anxious.

And I'm with the others in beginning to think this is someone trolling. I refuse to believe that someone would create a thread for advice just to do the opposite of it.

Edit: You still haven't answered how much you've spent on comics and how much the resume service cost you. Answer that, please.

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES
Resume service cost me $180. Bare bones cost me $165 but I sprung for a $15 extra for two different jobs. Administrative and content creation (by which I mean articles and reviews for journals and websites) are for the most part mutually exclusive. As for extras: I budget myself $20 a week for extras like food, comics, movie tickets, etc.

Benny the Snake fucked around with this message at 07:10 on Jul 2, 2013

No Manners No
Jul 15, 2010

Benny the Snake posted:

As for extras: I budget myself $20 a week for extras like food, comics, movie tickets, etc.
Are you from the 80s?

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

This has to be a troll made in the style of the classic "goon in a well" scenario. I have to believe this, because the alternative is the most pathetic being I've seen.

Goddammit, Benny, I was actually on your side way back when this all started.

Arch Stanton
Nov 23, 2003
EYEBALLS AND TONGUES DON'T MIX EW EW EW EW EW

Benny the Snake posted:

As for extras: I budget myself $20 a week for extras like food, comics, movie tickets, etc.

You budget that amount but you spend more.

How much have you actually spent in the last 3 months on movies, comics, junk food, booze and pot?

Masonity
Dec 31, 2007

What, I wonder, does this hidden face of madness reveal of the makers? These K'Chain Che'Malle?
You earn $8 an hour, right?

$180 is 22.5 hours pay.

You really couldn't sit down and create a second CV (ironically covering content creation roles) yourself? What would that, and polishing up the first one, really cost you? 2 or 3 hours?

I get it. The service is amazing for a lot of people. However, this is what you want a job in. You want to be a content creator, yet just paid a weeks wages to have a CV done for you.

Anomalies
Mar 1, 2010

WampaLord posted:

This has to be a troll made in the style of the classic "goon in a well" scenario. I have to believe this, because the alternative is the most pathetic being I've seen.

It's incredible, every post reveals something new to be amazed by :allears:

cucurbit
Feb 23, 2009

Benny the Snake posted:

For this one, I would have to say off hand that the one big thing was how the interviewer did most of the talking to the point where I didn't do much as far as selling myself. He asked a lot of rhetorical questions and I didn't ask enough which gives me the impression that he was letting me down easy by leading the interview.

This doesn't happen. Nobody schedules an interview to let someone down easy; interviewing someone is a huge chunk of time out of a person's schedule, they don't do it for fun and they don't drag it out if it isn't working. You were likely seen as unassertive and too quiet, and that was a factor in your not being hired. However, since you hired a resume service instead of an interview service, you'll probably never find out from a neutral third party why you're so bad at interviews.

Sotar
Dec 1, 2009
I like to imagine Benny shows up to interviews dressed just like his av.

Noisycat
Jul 6, 2003

If you give a mouse a cookie, you are supporting underground furry terrorists.
Give him at least a little credit. He's trying to at least be self aware a little, something he had zero of before, and so far he has kept his Target job. He's also looking into getting therapy/meds.

cucurbit
Feb 23, 2009

Khisareth posted:

He's also looking into getting therapy/meds.

This is a very good thing, but Benny, don't fall into the fallacy that medication is a magic wand. It will often assist with symptoms of your problems, but you'll have to do a lot of work to get to a point where you are and remain functional. Just keep in mind that popping a pill every day may help, but will not solve all of your problems.

It is good, however, that you're seeking help. Stick to it and follow through.

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed

CravingSolace posted:

I know this may seem small, but you kept your hands on the table the whole time? And apart? Not clasped together in in your lap?

I'm trying to imagine what that looks like from the person on the other side of the table and I can't help but feel that it would look awkward. I've always just kept my hands in my lap. Like I said, I know it seems silly, but to me, someone sitting with their hands like that would read as anxious.

And I'm with the others in beginning to think this is someone trolling. I refuse to believe that someone would create a thread for advice just to do the opposite of it.

Edit: You still haven't answered how much you've spent on comics and how much the resume service cost you. Answer that, please.

Stuck out to me too...Benny, please just keep your hands folded in your lap like a sane person would do because I'm picturing you sitting straight up with your arms out and your palms flat on the desk 5" apart, it is a hilarious thought to me.

Also, WHY did you spend money on that service you dope, many goons have offered to help you with your résumé FOR FREE.

Grin and Tonic
Oct 20, 2008

having a blast online
I see where benny is coming from with the hands thing, I think... I seem to recall that some etiquette advice videos and how-to guides recommend keeping your hands above the table or some dumb thing, and benny is the type to take that very seriously.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Benny the Snake posted:

More like I've been throwing my resume at hundreds of online posts and I figure I've only averaged say one professional interview a month. I only have one resume and that's to apply to general clerical positions. I need help making a better resume.

Frankly, consistently getting interviews at the rate you're getting them, as a recent graduate with no real work experience (pushing carts at Target doesn't count, though your old political internship might, unpaid though it was) is not a sign that your resume needs to be better.

I mean, it can't hurt, though I too would question whether it was worth $180 on your present income, but it's not really what you need to be focusing on right now.

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES

docbeard posted:

Frankly, consistently getting interviews at the rate you're getting them, as a recent graduate with no real work experience (pushing carts at Target doesn't count, though your old political internship might, unpaid though it was) is not a sign that your resume needs to be better.

I mean, it can't hurt, though I too would question whether it was worth $180 on your present income, but it's not really what you need to be focusing on right now.
What I am focusing on right now is looking for a career. So it's back to trolling CL and Indeed for posts and sending out my resumes and a custom made cover letter. I'm also gonna schedule an appointment with the psych for today or tomorrow (I wonder if pharmacies are open on holidays?). Also I'm gonna call and apply for an internship with a local magazine: the IE Weekly. I've send them writing samples and even called once; I'm gonna try again.

Sotar posted:

I like to imagine Benny shows up to interviews dressed just like his av.
Actually I dressed in a blue dress shirt, tie, khaki slacks, and dress shoes. I've noticed blue and khaki works well for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fuck the ROW
Aug 29, 2008

by zen death robot

Khisareth posted:

Give him at least a little credit. He's trying to at least be self aware a little, something he had zero of before, and so far he has kept his Target job. He's also looking into getting therapy/meds.

If there's one thing that's gonna turn this thing around it'll be loosely prescribed amphetamines and I cannot wait to see those posts :allears:

• Locked thread