Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Dead Boy Detectives and Suiciders sound good, the rest, not so much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

So, Vertigo is back to basics, "epic dark fantasy" and all that. Brace for a wave of cancellings six months later and a mercy killing.

Obviously, Sandman is a must because J.H. Williams and I am a big fan of Peter Milligan, so I'll take a look at Discipline, but everything else feels so dire. I'll wait for the new Karen Berger projects, if she ever decides to get back into industry.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

I'll give new Milligan a shot and The Witching Hour could have some fun stuff with Kelly Sue and Cliff Chiang in it.

Feels very underwhelming to rebuild Vertigo under Sandman or without even a Hellblazer style book.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

What's specifically Hellblazer style? One of the books literally says in the description "This is a series full of magic, madness and murder."
A handful of new works isn't bad after the last year propped up on a couple of movie adaptations.

Anyone know much about Caitlin Kittredge? From Wikipedia her adult novels are werewolf related, and her y.a. books are steampunk/H.P Lovecraft. It all sounds a little naff, but I haven't actually read anything :shrug:

e: It's neat they have a woman in her 20's writing something, regardless.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Jul 2, 2013

Bitchin Kitchen
Jun 2, 2006
Capital!
Yeah I live right next to Salem so I'll check out the New England book and I love me some Lee Bemerjo so that one has me super excited.

Was Taters
Jul 30, 2004

Here comes a regular
I loved Enigma! I hated Greek Street! His big 2 stuff has done nothing for me of late! Ah, Milligan.

I'll check out most of these books.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Is Vertigo moving to a more limited series based model for it's runs? I noticed that both Wake and Brother Lono are limited runs? If so this might neccessarily be a bad thing.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

None of the new batch have been announced as limited.

edit: Apart from Sandman Overture.
ee: And The Witching Hour being a one-shot anthology.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Jul 2, 2013

Adam Strange
Oct 11, 2012

He laughs. The line goes dead.
Comics aren't really the same without a (probably disappointing) Milligan comic but man, that description sounds like he's straight up going to rewrite The Extremist.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

I'm a big fan of Ian Edginton, especially Kingdom of the Wicked and Leviathan, so I'll definitely give Hinterkind a try. Nice to see him doing something other than adapting Victorian literature, which seems to be a lot of what he's done recently (although I've enjoyed those, as well).

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

I just finished DMZ yesterday reading through the last half of the series in one go. Holy poo poo was that a read. I think Wood might be one of my favorite writers. I have yet to read something by him I don't like.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Len posted:

I just finished DMZ yesterday reading through the last half of the series in one go. Holy poo poo was that a read. I think Wood might be one of my favorite writers. I have yet to read something by him I don't like.

Yeah love the guy, Local is one of my favourite comics ever.

Martello
Apr 29, 2012

by XyloJW
Check out Demo. Really good poo poo, and Becky Cloonan is amazing on pencils.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Martello posted:

Check out Demo. Really good poo poo, and Becky Cloonan is amazing on pencils.

Is Demo 2 worth reading? I haven't heard it as well praised as Demo 1. Also, did DMZ turn out well?

Martello
Apr 29, 2012

by XyloJW
Haven't read Demo 2 yet but it's on my Amazon wishlist. I didn't love how DMZ ended but I can see why he went that way. Then again I found the whole series too preachy in general. Still enjoyed it though.

Ruptured Yakety Sax
Jun 8, 2012

ARE YOU AN ANGEL, BIRD??
Anything of interest happen in Unwritten? It was the only comic I would need to buy this week and I don't think I can be bothered with this crossover.

Pepslexic
Jun 26, 2006
Nothing goes here

Goatmask posted:

Anything of interest happen in Unwritten? It was the only comic I would need to buy this week and I don't think I can be bothered with this crossover.

51? 51 had the freeing of Bigby, some sort of resurrection of Boy Blue by the Dark One, and the Dark One can now locate where the Fables are hiding

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong
It was boring. I think neither the artists nor the writers synthesize very well. The voices and styles are too distinct to mesh. I'm hoping nothing of real consequence happens to Tommy or the lot so I can just skip buying this trade altogether.

OWLS!
Sep 17, 2009

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I just finished trade 11 of Fables (I think it was 10? End of the War anyways) and holy hell does the story immediately fall apart. They really could have just done the war in maybe three more volumes and then actually do a series closer. As it is no point reading further. Kind of sad really.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

OWLS! posted:

I just finished trade 11 of Fables (I think it was 10? End of the War anyways) and holy hell does the story immediately fall apart. They really could have just done the war in maybe three more volumes and then actually do a series closer. As it is no point reading further. Kind of sad really.

But then how would you learn about the circumstances that led them to "cameo" in The Unwritten!?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

An important heads up. I have word from Mike Carey that there will be no more issues of The Unwritten released in 2013. Don't panic - it hasn't been cancelled, just postponed.

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong
Well, that sucks a whole bunch.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Kull the Conqueror posted:

Well, that sucks a whole bunch.

It's probably a delay with the art.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
Good news bad news. The good news is I can get caught up with it. The bad news is when I do, I will be pissed there are no new issues.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

bobkatt013 posted:

Good news bad news. The good news is I can get caught up with it. The bad news is when I do, I will be pissed there are no new issues.

Worse news, it's ending the year with a bad taste in the mouth from a forced crossover.

Ruptured Yakety Sax
Jun 8, 2012

ARE YOU AN ANGEL, BIRD??

RevKrule posted:

Worse news, it's ending the year with a bad taste in the mouth from a forced crossover.

Don't worry this thing will be waiting for us next year. Three issues to go.

In other news The Wake has some nice art, even if the story is just ok.

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

I like both the art and the writing for The Wake, I'd put it above quite a bit of Snyder's other stuff this year (and some of those are quite good, like the latest Batman annual). In any case, the story's still got me hooked.

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Really glad I caught up to this thread. Brother Lono and The Wake are both pretty drat good. I'm not liking how quickly The Wake seems to be moving or how actiony it got. I guess I was expecting something more like Sphere but it's still very drat good.

I remember some one earlier in the thread saying that they couldn't get into 100 Bullets and reading Brother Lono I can see why. I love 100 Bullets and regularly pick up my trades to read it through from start to finish but it's very difficult to follow at times. The way the scenes cut from one to another, or how dialouge boxes continue the conversation while the scene cuts away to something else. A lot of things between characters are left unsaid because they already have a history and people don't normally plot dump for no reason in real conversations.

Brother Lono has the same feel. I had to re-read issue one and two a few times to try and follow everything and I still feel like I'm missing something.

Mr Wind Up Bird
Jan 23, 2004

i'm a goddamn coward
but then again so are you
I hope everyone picked up Trillium today because it totally rules.

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong
Agreed, it is incredible. The narratives are so disparate yet so effective in their own ways. That two page splash in the Nika section was is so tight. Lemire's writer/artist work is leaps and bounds better than his mainstream stuff.

Volume posted:

I'm not liking how quickly The Wake seems to be moving or how actiony it got. I guess I was expecting something more like Sphere but it's still very drat good.

It was definitely jarring how quickly it progressed but I think it's held its pace together very nicely. Snyder said the second half of the series is way different than the first so who knows where the hell this is headed? I'm stoked.

Kull the Conqueror fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Aug 7, 2013

Fight My Dad!
Mar 9, 2008

I wish I had Paul Newman's eyes
That would be nice.

Goatmask posted:

Don't worry this thing will be waiting for us next year. Three issues to go.

In other news The Wake has some nice art, even if the story is just ok.

Nope, seems the cross-over's finishing in October, then nothing in Nov/Dec, and then all new number one in January. There's also an OGN coming in the break.
http://www.newsarama.com/18686-after-fables-game-changer-unwritten-to-relaunch-in-2014.html

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES
So why isn't anybody singing praises for Astro City? It's a story about superheroes from the perspective of the common man like Gotham Central was for Batman or even Gotham Central

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!

Benny the Snake posted:

So why isn't anybody singing praises for Astro City? It's a story about superheroes from the perspective of the common man like Gotham Central was for Batman or even Gotham Central

I'm definitely keeping up with it. It hasn't reached the heights that some earlier Astro City has, but I'm curious how this series is going to tie together, especially with the weird intro in issue 1.

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

Last week's American Vampire anthology was a pretty great read, was the original series as good?

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

It's completely fantastic. Snyder's best comic.
It's on hiatus now so you can catch up.

Tiriganiaq
Feb 21, 2012

Benny the Snake posted:

I didn't even realize that this was a Vertigo comic. I'm gonna check it out sooner or later.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

It's a creator-owned series that has gone through a bunch of publishers - Image, Homage, Wildstorm, and now Vertigo. I don't know why Busiek went with Vertigo (well, I guess it's at least partly because Wildstorm no longer exists), but it's really good. This is the first volume I've picked up and I need to go back and read the older stuff.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Endless Mike posted:

It's a creator-owned series that has gone through a bunch of publishers - Image, Homage, Wildstorm, and now Vertigo. I don't know why Busiek went with Vertigo (well, I guess it's at least partly because Wildstorm no longer exists), but it's really good. This is the first volume I've picked up and I need to go back and read the older stuff.

Ohmigosh, you haven't read any Astro City before? Because this new series is just kind of average from what I've come to expect from Astro City. The Confessor and Tarnished Angel collections are probably the best. You don't have to worry about any sort of continuity issues, so reading the trades in order does not matter. Go and enjoy!

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

paulnewmanseyes posted:

Nope, seems the cross-over's finishing in October, then nothing in Nov/Dec, and then all new number one in January. There's also an OGN coming in the break.
http://www.newsarama.com/18686-after-fables-game-changer-unwritten-to-relaunch-in-2014.html

The OGN has been delayed due to the artist's inability to meet deadlines. Al Davison has had 40 pages palmed off on him. I hope you don't like the original artist's work; there have been some angry noises to the effect that they should just have given it to Davison in the first place, so you probably won't see that person drawing for DC/Vertigo any time soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong
I've only just started Tommy Taylor and the Ship That Sank Twice and it is loving great. Having this much Unwritten to read all at once is a delight of which I am not worthy.

• Locked thread