Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

savinhill posted:

Hey, you forgot Ublala Pung, it would be a travesty if he was left out of a book that had both Karsa and Tehol as main characters.

Alright, so the continuing journeys of Karsa Orlong, Tehol Beddict, Ublala Pung, and Kruppe, with their erstwhile servant Emancipor Reese!

The Malazanest book.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

p.crestmont
Feb 17, 2012

The Sharmat posted:

Gregor Clegane is under that suit. He is hosed up. And it is because of Qyburn's magi-tech. I'm just saying he probably has a head, and might not even be dead in the way that, say, a wight is dead.

This is the impression I got as well; they sent a fake head, and Gregor is whole, but not who he was and is probably a reanimated corpse. Similar to Beric Dondarrion but with even less left of his memory etc.

Alternatively; it was Gregor's skull sent to Dorne, and inside Robert Strong's helmet is just a brain and eyeballs propped up on some sticks. Or he's a minotaur now.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Torquemadras posted:

Robert Strong is literally every badass warrior who died without a fight scene stitched together.

Syrio Forel.

Unless you happen to be one of the tv show watchers who still refuse to believe he's dead.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

To be fair, there's still book readers who refuse to believe he's dead.

And to be honest, I don't really blame them, considering even people who die 'on screen' have come back.

Hunky Joe
Dec 21, 2005

I'll fight crime when I feel like it...

Junkenstein posted:

To be fair, there's still book readers who refuse to believe he's dead.

And to be honest, I don't really blame them, considering even people who die 'on screen' have come back.

Syrio was warged into Arya's sword, Needle and lies dormant waiting to warg back into himself when the time is right.

Also he's a secret Targ.

And Azor Ahai.

Also he's Darkstar.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

R.I.P Syrio Forel
Killed by Meryn Trant

What a sad fate.

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

If the show brings Syrio back just to have relatable Bravoos characters for Arya, I might just forgive how they hosed up Stannis' scenes in 3rd season.

Maybe.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

Alright, so the continuing journeys of Karsa Orlong, Tehol Beddict, Ublala Pung, and Kruppe, with their erstwhile servant Emancipor Reese!

The Malazanest book.

Shadowthrone should be there too.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

Torquemadras posted:

If the show brings Syrio back just to have relatable Bravoos characters for Arya, I might just forgive how they hosed up Stannis' scenes in 3rd season.

Maybe.

Stannis in season 3 was kind of one step forward two steps back.

I can only imagine the shitstorm unleashed if in the show they decide that Syrio=Jaquen. Years of rage and gnashing of teeth between book readers as they argue with one another over whether or not that applies to the books as well.

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe
Back on the subject of Littlefinger's dagger and the blame of Tyrion... Since the attempted slashy stabby of Bran, that tournament is spoken of by a wide array of characters numerous times. Apparently everyone but Cat recalls and speaks of Jaime's loss. Just re-re-finished the crossroads chapter.

What a loving oval office Cat is.

edit: Also decided that for this re-re-readthrough, I am skipping ~~DAENERYS~~ in her entirety. Because what's the point.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.

Fog Tripper posted:

edit: Also decided that for this re-re-readthrough, I am skipping ~~DAENERYS~~ in her entirety. Because what's the point.

I find those chapters to be a great place to end my bedtime reading.

I feel like the show has missed the boat on two main things so far: the scope/interconnectedness of what's going on, and the resurgence of magic. The former mostly gets pass due to the fact that it would be virtually impossible to make a TV show with as many characters as there are in the books, but things like the Freys being present in more than two scenes and Roose Bolton getting some early development are lost in translation. I have to assume we'll get more direct exposure to Roose and Walder in the coming seasons, which will be a bit odd as they haven't done much in the books to my recollection. As for the magic thing, the only mention I recall in the show is when Thoros says he wasn't aware he could raise the dead, whereas in the books magic is popping up all over the place as early as Clash.

I'm midway through Storm now and wondering if I'll enjoy books 4 and 5 better intercut than I did individually.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.

Fog Tripper posted:

A bit too late for it now, but I wonder if the series would read better if it didn't have any of the Dany chapters, and you just heard the same rumors along with the characters hear them until she finally (never) lands in Westeros completely power mad with three dragons and a giant slave army ready to take back her kingdom. Maybe publish her chapters later in several novellas "Khalessi" "Mother of Dragons" "Breaker of Chains" "Shitter of Fields" so you can see her descent into madness first hand.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Shoehead posted:

Oh Tumblr.. :allears:

(It's a nice parallel I never noticed, but holy poo poo Mereen, poop, Daario, ect. )

Once hbo films the award winning scene of Dany making GBS threads in Mereen you can replace that second image with one of Dany making GBS threads brown water and achieve true meaning.

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

Dany had some good poo poo in the first few books, but yeah, it would have been cool if her ADWD chapters had been replaced by murmurings about a fearsome queen with three-headed dragon in the East, like in the start of AFFC's Prologue chapter.

Chinston Wurchill posted:

I'm midway through Storm now and wondering if I'll enjoy books 4 and 5 better intercut than I did individually.
ADWD was definitely more passable with Jaime and more Cersei chapters interspersed throughout it.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

GodFish posted:

A bit too late for it now, but I wonder if the series would read better if it didn't have any of the Dany chapters, and you just heard the same rumors along with the characters hear them until she finally (never) lands in Westeros

This is kind of my opinion. Like when Robert is spazzing the gently caress out about her marrying Drogo and Ned is all "chill out, dude, she's 13 and he's a horselord from a culture which hates boats, what threat could she pose?" and Robert just froths anyway. It would be great to have increasingly irrational rumours through-out the series and then one day she shows up and every outrageous thing is true. She does have dragons, she does have a 100,000-man slave army of gelded soldiers who murder puppies they raised, she does have this and that and whatever the gently caress.

Woodpile
Mar 30, 2013

GodFish posted:

A bit too late for it now, but I wonder if the series would read better if it didn't have any of the Dany chapters, and you just heard the same rumors along with the characters hear them until she finally (never) lands in Westeros completely power mad with three dragons and a giant slave army ready to take back her kingdom. Maybe publish her chapters later in several novellas "Khalessi" "Mother of Dragons" "Breaker of Chains" "Shitter of Fields" so you can see her descent into madness first hand.

What a great idea. Unfortunately, GRRM believes his imagination is the only one worth having. So we get inventory, menus, travelogues and heraldry. But not the rules of cyvasse*, because that would be too taxing for the editor of Wild Cards.

*I don't give a flying gently caress about how cyvasse is played.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
Wow. This thread is bitter. And I say this as someone that waited 11 years for a new Tyrion chapter. (And then found it incredibly amusing when his chapters ended up being pretty boring.)

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
poo poo happens and then you Dracarys.

Or was it the other way around?

I'm a summer child who only got into the series 2 years ago, I enjoyed AFFC on reread very much but I find the notion of rereading Dany's ADWD chapters a little unbearable. I tend to agree that if Dany's POV was a little less prominent the Meereen adventure might have been more interesting, those Selmy chapters near the end of the book are a significant improvement over Dany's.

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

Urdnot Fire posted:

Dany had some good poo poo in the first few books,

[citation needed]

ftfy

The Sharmat posted:

Wow. This thread is bitter. And I say this as someone that waited 11 years for a new Tyrion chapter. (And then found it incredibly amusing when his chapters ended up being pretty boring.)

You still stink of summer.

Fog Tripper fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Jul 2, 2013

p.crestmont
Feb 17, 2012
The Dany arc in GoT was really good. She should have had one or two chapters per book after that, perhaps as the prologue or epilogue (or both). ACoK= temple visions in Qaurth and burn down the temple, ASoS=slave army awesome freedom scene, AFFC=some boring stuff about trying to run cities in Essos, ADWD= the fight pit chapter where Drogon carries her away.

No making GBS threads, No Daaario, No problems. Throw the Barristan reveal and Jorah booted out scenes in there anywhere.

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

p.crestmont posted:

The Dany arc in GoT was really good.

It may as well have been a dragonriders of pern book for all relevance it had to the main goings-on. Also the fact that it goes steadily downhill from there is pretty hosed up.

gently caress Dany and gently caress Esseros or whatever it's called.

edit: Is Zombie Lincoln no longer amongst the living? Been nearly 2 years now since he's last posted in the spoiler-free read-along thread. Seriously. A "spoiler free book discussion"? WTF does that even entail?

Fog Tripper fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Jul 2, 2013

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight

Fog Tripper posted:

edit: Is Zombie Lincoln no longer amongst the living? Been nearly 2 years now since he's last posted in the spoiler-free read-along thread. Seriously. A "spoiler free book discussion"? WTF does that even entail?

These books are good. I like them because of the words, but also because of the punctuation. The negative space on the page where there is no ink is also visually appealing.

SaviourX
Sep 30, 2003

The only true Catwoman is Julie Newmar, Lee Meriwether, or Eartha Kitt.

AtAt-de-fay posted:

So we get inventory, menus, travelogues and heraldry.

And in the hands of capable writers, these are enjoyable things.

Also Fog Trips is getting close to TVIV with his hate-on for the ladies. Dany still does some crazy poo poo in the 2nd and 3rd books. Cat does what she thinks is important with the little info she has.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Skipping the Dany chapters means you'll only miss out on vision quest junk, which, if you've read tower of the hand, you know that R+L=J.

So really you lose nothing.

You can also skip all of Dorne in AFFC/ADWD, and all of the iron islands junk except for Victarion in ADWD. And, of course, Brienne in AFFC.

That's pretty much one and a half books worth of pointless filler purged.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
That's gonna be pretty awful advice when Winds of Winter comes out (ahahaha) and Stoneheart, Euron, and Arianne form an unholy Tribunal that establishes a monopoly on all amoebic dysentery medication, as foretold in the House of the Undying.

Seriously though. All that stuff you said? That was being said about Bran prior to Dance.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Oh yeah, I forgot Bran was a character.

Don't read Bran.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Dany's story would have been better if she wasn't a POV character. I think GRRM himself realised this with Barristan's chapters.

I_Socom
Jul 18, 2007

A great ride that requires finesse and effort to get the best out of it.

Can you imagine if Dany's chapters where she picks up Belwas and Barristan was all done as a prologue in Barry's POV? That would own so hard. Then you could cut out all the poo poo(ting) in ADWD and just have Barry talking about how she's exhibiting crazy Targ-itis and now she's flown off on a dragon.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

The Sharmat posted:

The point of this thread is to:

Read poo poo. Heap poo poo. Be poo poo.

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

I_Socom posted:

Can you imagine if Dany's chapters where she picks up Belwas and Barristan was all done as a prologue in Barry's POV? That would own so hard. Then you could cut out all the poo poo(ting) in ADWD and just have Barry talking about how she's exhibiting crazy Targ-itis and now she's flown off on a dragon.
Where's my Belwas POV, GRRM?

Shageletic posted:

Read poo poo. Heap poo poo. Be poo poo.
I automatically read this in Roy Dotrice's voice.

Anonymous John
Mar 8, 2002

I_Socom posted:

Yeah and imagine how that would have made available space in ADWD so that GRRM and his editor could include the battles for Winterfell and Mereen! If only...

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

It'll all be worth it when Dany and Jon undergo some dramatic shift and stop being POVs for the rest of the books.

And THAT'S when they'll finally be interesting.

Contra Calculus
Nov 6, 2009

Gravy Boat 2k
How the hell has this thread made it to two years?

Oh well, happy second anniversary, you shitdicks. Have a Wild Cards 4th of July.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

Sorry, July 1st is the Wildcardsest day. Did any of youuuu get to see a F-104 Starfighter in person yesterday? No? Well, then. :smug:

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

Sorry, July 1st is the Wildcardsest day. Did any of youuuu get to see a F-104 Starfighter in person yesterday? No? Well, then. :smug:

Does anybody else care about a lovely Canadian plane? No? Well then :smuggo:

Assuming you saw the canadair cd-104 that is.

whowhatwhere fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Jul 2, 2013

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Sorry, I'm only interested in destriers.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
How's the book coming?

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Torquemadras posted:

It'll all be worth it when Dany and Jon undergo some dramatic shift and stop being POVs for the rest of the books.

And THAT'S when they'll finally be interesting.

Jon wasn't interesting in Sam's or Melisandre's POVs.

p.crestmont
Feb 17, 2012
I just realized Jon's ADWD story is similar to Cercei's AFFC arc; they are both doomed to be ousted from their places of power due to a comical sequence of bad decisions. Their motivations are complete polar opposites, but their MOs are actually pretty similar in that they systematically alienate everyone around them. Cercei's chapters and goof ups are funnier on reread, but Jon is just as tragically bullheaded and dumb in his own way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Shoehead posted:

How's the book coming?

Getting excited for football season.

Mood: :thurman: