Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

YF19pilot posted:

Quick question.

Quick answer. Yep!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jetfire
Apr 29, 2008
Oh god, Oath Failed :smith:

It was a blindingly busy, impressively E/N month. Sorry guys! I'm looking to Save da Whalez and get right back on track. Everyone, your completed oaths are an inspiration to continue. (also my Reaper Bones are probably on the way...eventually. eep)

thiswayliesmadness
Dec 3, 2009

I hope to see you next time, and take care all

krushgroove posted:

Did you start the cutting today (as in, the 1st of July?)

Don't forget to provide a link to the original box art when you're finished!

I was originally going to oath 2 Paladins and 2 monkeys with flamethrowers but wanted to add something and decided on a Hellrifle/Force sword inquisitor. I got home after Midnight (so the 1st), checked the thread for theme, found a female mad scientist and amputated her bare hand for a sword one, then came back and saw your post. I even have the box it came in right beside me.

And the original:

But if it doesn't count, I have more than enough orky conversions I could toss in my oath! And I just got my new airbrush! :dance:

And either way, I thiswayliesmadness do oath for Month of July:

A Reaper 'Mad Scientist (female)', converted to have a sword

A pair of Games Workshop Paladins

A pair of Cool Mini or Not 'Monkey with Flamethrowers'

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro
I, JoshTheStampede, oath for July:

One Teddy (Malifaux, Wyrd Miniatures) and one Feral Warpwolf (Hordes, Privateer Press, although I plan to use it as a Malifaux proxy)

The teddy is primed white, the wolf is basecoated in brown - that's still ok, right? It's just a single color on each model.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

krushgroove posted:

make sure your oath complete pictures are in the photo album before I send it to the judges in approximately 24 hours' time!

I hate to keep being a squeaky wheel, but could I get this shot of my problem-child diorama in there? It took a lot of work and I'd hate for the judges to only see it in the overview photo.

I, moths, oath for July:

10x Mantic Z-Corp troopers
3x FFG Grim Reapers
1x Mantic Mortis character

The Z-Corp models were briefly sold as a conversion kit, where you got equal parts zombies and corporation marines, a sprinkling of ghouls, and good wishes towards finding your own path. This kit was not well reviewed. The marines are cast in an insanely tough resin. Like dog-toy tough. And they sold you a box of 80. I've started building a few in the past, and it cost me some skin from my thumb.
(I'll be starting fresh for this month's oath.)

The Grim Reapers are from FFG's DUST game. They come poorly pre-painted (as shown) and fairness obligates me to point out that the heads aren't glued on and will require no actual cutting to swap out. They'll be counting-as Warpath Plague Striders.

Mortis is Mantic's not-Typhus character that doesn't have Warpath rules and would sit in a box forever if I didn't oath him this month. I won't be converting him, which is slightly ironic because he's already a factory conversion of their Veer-myn warlord.

nathonicus
May 2, 2013
I, Nathonicus, Oath this Company Command Squad and Platoon Command Squad of Death Korps of Krieg models from Games Workshop for the month of July. Additionally, I oath this Chandra unit from Infinity for my Detektuv's Jurnal converison piece.

Here are the Death Korps:

And here is the Chandra Unit:

Here is a detail showing the conversion next to someone else's stock Chandra. The head used is simply a secondary head that comes with the Chandra, so that doesn't count, but I did cut the hand away from the hip, filling in the gap in her uniform where I did that, and reposed the the figure to be running forward vs. standing around as a cheesecake pinup.

Mt. ORourke
Dec 10, 2006

We find no vestige of a beginning,
no prospect of an end.
For July I Oath 1 Epic Hexeris
from Privateer Press

Galaspar
Aug 20, 2006
Will reign this way again
Is it too late to say that my June oath was a themed group ?

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
^^^ make sure with Leperflesh, he is The Scribe of the Spreadsheet

thiswayliesmadness posted:

I was originally going to oath 2 Paladins and 2 monkeys with flamethrowers but wanted to add something and decided on a Hellrifle/Force sword inquisitor. I got home after Midnight (so the 1st), checked the thread for theme, found a female mad scientist and amputated her bare hand for a sword one, then came back and saw your post. I even have the box it came in right beside me.
<snip>

No worries, I realize the Jurnal theme may have caught out a few people who've already done conversions so for yesterday and today I'm giving people who've already done Cut and Swap a pass as long as they can prove it - but after now the BEFORE picture has to be with the proper timestamp as a normal oath post.

Chance II
Aug 6, 2009

Would you like a
second chance?

krushgroove posted:

^^^ make sure with Leperflesh, he is The Scribe of the Spreadsheet

No worries, I realize the Jurnal theme may have caught out a few people who've already done conversions so for yesterday and today I'm giving people who've already done Cut and Swap a pass as long as they can prove it - but after now the BEFORE picture has to be with the proper timestamp as a normal oath post.

In that case can I use these guys?

The only before pic I could give you is a shot of my bits box since they are made from bits from multiple kits and greenstuff. Otherwise I can just wait until some bits I ordered show up and use them for the journal.

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer
I oath 1 Tau Crisis Suit Commander from Games Workshop

The arm has been repositioned to be straight rather than bent, it originally looked like this.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
That Tau dude is OK

Chance II posted:

In that case can I use these guys?

The only before pic I could give you is a shot of my bits box since they are made from bits from multiple kits and greenstuff. Otherwise I can just wait until some bits I ordered show up and use them for the journal.

Are these built onto a pre-existing model torso/body where you've cut off arms and heads? My main reservation with this one is that it's a complete build-up from bitz, which is fabulous but not the focus of this month's Jurnal. The minimum you need to be eligible for the Jurnal is bend an arm or twist a wrist, so if you're OK doing that (or a complete swap for an arm with your incoming bitz) then that's all I need to know - but we'll need the AFTER picture like all the other posts.

Chance II
Aug 6, 2009

Would you like a
second chance?
The necromancer dude has an arm swap and a weapon swap while the dregs are a collection of various arms, legs, and accessories glued onto greenstuff sculped torsos and slightly carved and reshaped heads but I'll just use the incoming dudes to make things easier and be able to show my work process, no problem.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx
I, bhsman, oath to complete a Ariadnan Veteran Kazak from Corvus Belli's Infinity range by the end of this month.

...if not this week. :getin:

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Fuuuuck new month? Guess I'd better find my next set of Deathwing terminators to paint up. Maybe these 5 will go quicker than the 3 I oathed in May :v:

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

bhsman posted:

I, bhsman, oath to complete a Ariadnan Veteran Kazak from Corvus Belli's Infinity range by the end of this month.
...if not this week. :getin:
Just don't send him to look for the previous one :ohdear:

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Pierzak posted:

Just don't send him to look for the previous one :ohdear:

He'll be going for a rescue mission behind enemy lines. :ussr:

Fish and Chimps
Feb 16, 2012

mmmfff
Fun Shoe

TheBlobThing posted:

Well, after my shameful oath-breaking I'm back with a more modest oath. I have 3 of the same Necromunda juves, so I'm hacking one of them up to create some variety.

I, TheBlobThing, oath to paint this 1 Necromunda Escher juve from GW!

2 images with and without flash, so you can see both the model and the timestamp.

Edit: On second thought, I edited out the second photo because you can very clearly see the timestamp, and I don't want to clutter up the thread.

So here is my progress. I swapped out her Stub gun for a bolt/auto pistol, and cut off the axehead from her close combat weapon, so she only wields a pipe.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
^^^ This is how you do it, folks! Perfection!

ManiacMatt
Feb 28, 2007

This is not the pleasure planet I was promised!
Whelp last month did not go so well, oathed late and then got caught up with Canada Day events to get it done. Oh well, that's what this month is for, to get back on track.

I ManiacMatt oath 5 Wraithguard by GW

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.
I've hit an annoying technicality in going for box art - Spartan have some of my ships up on their site only as flat white 3D renders. Does this invalidate the option?

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

Loxbourne posted:

I've hit an annoying technicality in going for box art - Spartan have some of my ships up on their site only as flat white 3D renders. Does this invalidate the option?

Unless you paint them flat white, yes.

e: actually, assuming some of the models are shown painted on the website, paint what you have with that color scheme and you'll be okay. I was being a little flippant there.

Galaspar
Aug 20, 2006
Will reign this way again

Galaspar posted:

I, Galaspar, oath this Chaos Lord of Khorne by Games Workshop

He's got a few small conversions already, but he'll have another soon. Note the standard sword currently in his hand (and kindly disregard the bluetac, it's just so I can remove the arm for easier choppinz).

Cut and swap time!

Where once was sword, now is axe!

Mr.Booger
Nov 13, 2004
Heh, was curious how to do this as well. Alot of the stuff I am buying doesn't come in a box or have "official" art. but figure I have enough other junk laying around I can make it work.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

krushgroove posted:

composites/montages (WE GOT A MONTAGE!!)

The word you guys are looking for is "collage", actually.

moths posted:

I hate to keep being a squeaky wheel, but could I get this shot of my problem-child diorama in there? It took a lot of work and I'd hate for the judges to only see it in the overview photo.

Here's the rules for Diorama:

quote:

Diorama
2 points for completing, AND you can earn a sweet prize for having the best base, based on the judges' votes!
No additional scoring points to be earned from judges' votes
Separate prize for winner based on judge’s scores: a $25 gift voucher prize, courtesy of goon Zhent!
Everyone knows what a diorama is - basically a scene that you create, assemble and paint using one or more miniature models. Post a picture of your unpainted diorama (with timestamp) before starting, and post the completed pictures before the end of the season to earn your points and be eligible for judging! The completed pictures of your diorama must be from various angles.
Be sure to post 'This is my Diorama entry' when posting your Oath Complete picture to make sure we catch your entry.
NOTE: final pictures must have your name in the photos!

Since you wanted that stand submitted for the diorama contest, it's not eligible for the monthly judging. That's presumably why it's not in the slideshow. The judges need to disregard the diorama when considering your paintjobs. This is actually another problem if that's the only part of your oath that does the Detektuv's Jurnal, since it means you aren't being considered for the 1-point "who did the best Jurnal entry" category of monthly judging.

This thing is really confusing :negative:. I'm afraid we simply didn't consider that someone would do a diorama as part of their army - it's usually more of a separate, display thing for most people?

quote:

I, moths, oath for July:

10x Mantic Z-Corp troopers
3x FFG Grim Reapers
1x Mantic Mortis character

What scale are the troopers? They look smaller than the other guys.

Galaspar posted:

Is it too late to say that my June oath was a themed group ?

I got ya.

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Jul 2, 2013

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!
I, YF19pilot, being of sound mind and spirit, do hereby oath to paint 1 'repurposed' Opel Blitz Truck and the German half of the Flames of War Open Fire! box set (2 PaK40s w/crew, 12 stands of Grenadiers (six 5x and six 4x), 1 Panzerschrek team, 5 command teams, and 3 StuGs); everything 15mm and from Battlefront

That's a total of either 24 or about 80ish models depending on how you count them.

Also, the repurposed Opel Blitz Truck will by my Cut and Swap entry. I built this truck almost a year ago (just never painted it) and I can't find a 'before' picture, but here's the stock photo from Battlefront:

And their spotlight article: http://www.flamesofwar.com/hobby.aspx?art_id=1856

It normally has a German crew with a German MG, and is meant for late war. But I've put in an Italian crew with an anti-tank rifle for a desert raiding force.

If the judges deem this not an acceptable entry for Cut and Swap, I will have another model later this month that I'll add to my oath which will fit the bill.

CovfefeCatCafe fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Jul 3, 2013

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Leperflesh posted:

This thing is really confusing :negative:.

You got that right! If all I'm losing is one potential point then there's nothing I can do about that. The conversion and better painted models will all get judged eventually - I'm more concerned about breaking my Journal streak.

This means I'll need to shoot more photos with username and everything required for the diorama drill?

Leperflesh posted:

What scale are the troopers? They look smaller than the other guys.

The troopers, hero, and undead are all 28mm. The DUST guys are 1/48(!) but I'm using them as huge-rear end 28mm exo-armor.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

YF19pilot posted:

Also, the repurposed Opel Blitz Truck will by my Cut and Swap entry. I built this truck almost a year ago (just never painted it) and I can't find a 'before' picture, but here's the stock photo from Battlefront:

And their spotlight article: http://www.flamesofwar.com/hobby.aspx?art_id=1856

It normally has a German crew with a German MG, and is meant for late war. But I've put in an Italian crew with an anti-tank rifle for a desert raiding force.

If the judges deem this not an acceptable entry for Cut and Swap, I will have another model later this month that I'll add to my oath which will fit the bill.

I'll be honest, it doesn't look like anything's been cut really. Just different guys in the back of the truck, with a different weapon?

moths posted:

You got that right! If all I'm losing is one potential point then there's nothing I can do about that. The conversion and better painted models will all get judged eventually - I'm more concerned about breaking my Journal streak.

This means I'll need to shoot more photos with username and everything required for the diorama drill?

I've got a link to your oath complete post in the column for Diorama right now, so at the end of the year (well, next April) the judges will see what you have there now. However, if you want to make a new post with photos exclusively of your diorama, I can swap in that post URL instead. That's up to you, though, what's in there now is sufficient as an official diorama entry.

quote:

The troopers, hero, and undead are all 28mm. The DUST guys are 1/48(!) but I'm using them as huge-rear end 28mm exo-armor.

Ah OK, thanks.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?
:siren:I, Slimnoid, pledge a 10-man squad of Terminators, two 5-man squads of Terminators, and a custom Belial! (all 28mm, all Games Workshop):siren:

Belial

Ten-man squad

Two five-man squads

I will be aiming for this month's Detektuv's Jurnal (Cut and Swap), In Battle!, and Fly your Flag bonuses! I'm also shooting for the Themed Group drawing, since the entire army is going to be on Space Hulk-style bases.

Bionic Psyker
Apr 23, 2009
This is my entry for Detectuv's Jurnal(Cut and Swap). I went with more cut, less swap. Does it count?

If it does, my total oath will be:

12 Fireforge games Templar Knights
Reaper Bones-
2 Storm Giants
1 Minataur
1 Ogre Chieftain,
1 Gnoll

Games Workshop
1 Gorebeast Chariot
1 Disc of Tzeentch
1 coverted Sorceror
1 Infantry base for sorceror
1 Lelith Hespirax
1 Mutalith Vortex Beast
1 Daemon Prince

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Bionic Psyker posted:

Reaper Bones-
It beginsssss :unsmigghh:

Mmtheblue
Jul 25, 2007

...Out of this period a particularly cunning and strong Ork will emerge as the leader and the other Orks will gather round him...
:siren: I, Mmtheblue, Oath to paint Five Games Workshop Space Marines, one Ork Nob, and some assorted bits (Grenade Launcher and two pistols) for the month of July. :siren:

For the Detektuv’s Jurnal I cut off a Bolter and replaced it with a Black Templars' Meltagun (also head/arm swaps, but those weren't cuts). Gotta have dem Chains o' Zeal! Also I don't know if the Grenade launcher counts, but it's going on an already painted Necromunda mini.

Unfortunately, I did this before the Jurnal was announced, but here's picture of the bit before, and the removed bolter bit.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

Leperflesh posted:

I'll be honest, it doesn't look like anything's been cut really. Just different guys in the back of the truck, with a different weapon?

Well, I did drill a hole to mount the machine gun on the roof, but fair is fair. And yeah, different guys with a different weapon (Italians in a German truck with Italian weaponry). I'll have the bits to do that bergepanther I posted in about a week, and I'll add that to my oath.

JesusIsTehCool
Aug 26, 2002
I JesusIsTehCool summit this AFTER photo for approval of my oathed Tech Marine

Original Post

JesusIsTehCool posted:

I JesusIsTehCool oath to turn this pile of Games Workshop bits into a Tech Marine on a bike as my BEFORE picture for the month of July's journal.

not sure if I will need the plastic card the models are on top of but included it just in case

Here is a slightly clearer picture of the bits:

I will be cutting and repositioning the legs to fit on the bike, replacing the left arm with the clamp, and removing the 'bulbs' on the backpack and swapping them with the servo arms. I hope this qualifies for what you had in mind for the journal. Also could this count as my conversion if I wanted it to?

Close up of the changes:

legs bent back more to better fit bike

left hand is now a clamp

backpack has servo arms attached

I know my before hasn't be approved yet but yesterday and today were the days I had time to work on stuff so if there was an issue I will just do something else later in the month.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

moths posted:

I, moths, oath for July:

Mutants with assault rifles!

The bodies of four marines were painfully bisected and reassigned to undead donors. A leader-type was left in intact armor, and one feral ghoul naked Plague 3rd Generation got an assault rifle only. Some of these required putty, others didn't.

I ran out of guns and am unsure how that happened. It looks like you only get nine rifles in a bag of resin parts. I'm going to pull an extra from the box unless there's any objections. I can make that single rifle an oath addition if I need to, but that seems silly.

Mutants in gently caress-off huge power armor!

I cut the jetpacks off and replaced the helmets* with zombie heads and a blob of putty.

(*Which turned out to be glued in place with the weakest hot glue)

Under 15
Jan 6, 2005

Mr. Helsbecter will you please stop shooting I am on the phone

I, Under 15, swear a mighty oath to paint five orcs and Grumlok, all GW models.

My entry for the Journal this month is the face-masked orc who is reporting to his boss; I wanted to make an orc that was prostrated or kneeling but that poo poo was impossible with these models. Seems like orcs aren't made to do that! Anyway, with this fellow, his neck had to get cut up a bit to get his head to turn far enough, his left hand has been cut at the wrist and rotated so he can rest it on his knee, and his right hand has been cut and rotated so he can lean on his knuckles. That shoulder had to be built up a bit as well, since that arm isn't supposed to sit like it is. Here is a before shot:

The right arm was originally holding a spear as well, but that had already been cut off somewhere along the way.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Oh god, did I miss the cut-off for slideshow photo entries? I posted a better follow-up shot here.

If you'd be so kind?

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

Leperflesh posted:

The word you guys are looking for is "collage", actually.

Yeah I guess, but there's no song for 'we gotta collage!' - it just doesn't fit! Is there a collage song? There must be, this is The Internet.

Leperflesh posted:

This thing is really confusing :negative:. I'm afraid we simply didn't consider that someone would do a diorama as part of their army - it's usually more of a separate, display thing for most people?

moths posted:

Yes, Diorama will require a few extra pictures if you don't mind. Also, please put your name in at least one of the pictures.

We definitely didn't think that someone would want to use a game piece as their Diorama entry, no sir! But that's the fun of working with so many people - you never know what's going to come up :)

Fix posted:

Oh god, did I miss the cut-off for slideshow photo entries? I posted a better follow-up shot here.

If you'd be so kind?

Ah - it didn't get in originally because I use the links that are in the spreadsheet under each month's Oath Complete column. I think we're trying to keep people from going back and editing in stuff to their Oath Complete post, so it's probably better to work it this way. I've added the picture to the album though.

krushgroove fucked around with this message at 09:33 on Jul 3, 2013

Fish and Chimps
Feb 16, 2012

mmmfff
Fun Shoe

krushgroove posted:

^^^ This is how you do it, folks! Perfection!

Well thank you. Good to see those 4 years (and counting) of university is coming to good use. :smuggo:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
:siren: FELLOW GOONS :siren:

ENTER YE THE HALL OF BROKEN OATHS

GAZE YE UPON THIS LIST OF SHAME AND REMEMBER

Whosoever wishes to claim the Oathbreaker Avatar of Penitence to have it permanently bonded to their future communicades with your fellow goons, and thus attempt to regain an infinitesimal fraction of your lost honour, may claim the honour within 24 hours, and a fight to the death shall ensue, with the victor claiming the Oathbreaker Avatar of Penitence for all time. (In plain English: No one is required to take the avatar. If you want the Oathbreaker avatar (see it below), in the 24 hours after this post is live, just post in the thread that you want the avatar, and there will be a random draw to see who gets it - but no changing your avatar after you get it!)

This month's Oathbreaker Avatar will be a MYSTERY! So you don't know what you're getting until you get it - be careful what you wish for!

I have also noted that WE HAVE RECIDIVISTS IN OUR MIDST! Serial Offenders! Repeat Oathbreakers! Heathens! I put it to you, good people of the Oath Thread...what shall we do with these...heretics?! (Votes must come from any participants who have completed oaths for May and June.)

• Locked thread