Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades

harperdc posted:

Just be sure you buy stuff that's fast. Class 10 is the fastest you can get SD cards (...right?) so look for the circular logo on the front/label of the card. A cheap 64 gig card is nice until you realize it's class 4 and won't handle video or a large buffer of photos terribly well.

I think UHS is faster if the camera supports it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

tliil posted:

You're putting a lot of data into a very physically small space, it's really amazing that you don't hear a lot of stories of SD cards failing.

In the 3 years I've been shooting (video mostly) on SD cards I've had exactly one card failure, and that was a physical failure on a cheapo card due to the write lock tab breaking off.

OTOH, SD cards are so cheap that I just swap them for fresh ones every year. You can get 32gb SanDisk 95mb/s cards for like $60 nowadays.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

harperdc posted:

Just be sure you buy stuff that's fast. Class 10 is the fastest you can get SD cards (...right?) so look for the circular logo on the front/label of the card. A cheap 64 gig card is nice until you realize it's class 4 and won't handle video or a large buffer of photos terribly well.

And buy your cards from reputable sources. No ebay, no craigslist. Buy it brand new, from a well-reviewed retailer, lest you get stuck with some hacked Chinese poo poo.

Inf
Jan 4, 2003

BBQ

pseudonordic posted:

I think UHS is faster if the camera supports it.

I think Class 10 and UHS-1 are just some industry performance standards, but there's an enormous amount of variation within them. There's a significant difference between a "class 10" card that writes at 30MB/s and a "class 10" card that writes at 90MB/s. Similarly within "UHS-1" cards.

I was having problems with my 6D stumbling during bursts with the lovely Transcend Class 10 cards I was using before. There was a tremendous improvement switching to a Sandisk Extreme Pro (90 read, 95MB/s write) card for timelapse stuff. I'm able to shoot at 3fps in raw indefinitely whereas the Transcend would start dropping frames every 10-15 images.

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib

Inf posted:

I think Class 10 and UHS-1 are just some industry performance standards, but there's an enormous amount of variation within them. There's a significant difference between a "class 10" card that writes at 30MB/s and a "class 10" card that writes at 90MB/s. Similarly within "UHS-1" cards.

I was having problems with my 6D stumbling during bursts with the lovely Transcend Class 10 cards I was using before. There was a tremendous improvement switching to a Sandisk Extreme Pro (90 read, 95MB/s write) card for timelapse stuff. I'm able to shoot at 3fps in raw indefinitely whereas the Transcend would start dropping frames every 10-15 images.

I bought some Sony 32GB class 10 UHS-1 (40MB/sec) cards recently .. man I hope they aren't junk. I got them for $14 on sale .. so, no huge loss if they suck. I didn't even know the Sandisk Extreme Pro existed.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I've had my SD card go corrupt on my Raspberry Pi several times.. apparently due to the way SD cards write their data if they lose power midway through a write there's an elevated risk of the whole filesystem going bad.

Before I learned this I had a habit of yanking the power on my RPI to reboot it. :science:

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

OK now as far as I know there's no way of doing this but I thought I'd ask:

Say I shoot with a picture style on my 600D. Is there any way of opening the RAW file with the Picture Style Settings in Photoshop's Camera Raw?

Or anyway of converting Canon Picture Styles to something Photoshop can work with?

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

I believe Lightroom applies the picture style to the tone controls.

Hotwax Residue
Mar 26, 2010

Quantum of Phallus posted:

OK now as far as I know there's no way of doing this but I thought I'd ask:

Say I shoot with a picture style on my 600D. Is there any way of opening the RAW file with the Picture Style Settings in Photoshop's Camera Raw?

Or anyway of converting Canon Picture Styles to something Photoshop can work with?

Both Lightroom and ACR (Photoshop's Camera Raw) will do it under the "Camera Calibration" tab

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

1st AD posted:

I believe Lightroom applies the picture style to the tone controls.

OK, I've used Lightroom in the past but never really needed it that much, I might give it another look.

Hotwax Residue posted:

ACR (Photoshop's Camera Raw) will do it under the "Camera Calibration" tab

I have a lot of custom settings installed but I'd like to be able to use the exact ones I shot with on the camera but I can't figure out how to install the Picture Profiles to ACR

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Quantum of Phallus posted:

I have a lot of custom settings installed but I'd like to be able to use the exact ones I shot with on the camera but I can't figure out how to install the Picture Profiles to ACR

I don't think that's possible. You would have to use Canon's own raw converter to apply the same picture styles I think.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer
70D is officially announced.

wifi, 7fps, flippy touch screen, 20mp. 19 pt AF, all cross-type, fancy new live-view AF, AMFA.

Apparently did not get: AMFA, weather sealing, dual card slots, fast card slot, GPS.

Definitely seems like an upgrade from the underwhelming aps-c advances of the past 2-3 years, and I'm actually surprised at how cheap it is (I was guessing $1400 to start). Of course we'll have to wait to see how the sensor actually performs.

This also leaves plenty of room for a 7DmkII or 8D or whatever the high-end crop camera will be called.

e: just glanced at the dpreview preview and it says it got AMFA- cool! They were also pretty positive on the live view AF from my quick readthrough

BetterLekNextTime fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Jul 2, 2013

mclifford82
Jan 27, 2009

Bump the Barnacle!

BetterLekNextTime posted:

wifi, 7fps, flippy touch screen, 20mp. 19 pt AF, all cross-type, fancy new live-view AF, AMFA.

Looks pretty sweet to me. I sincerely hope they continue to bring the variable angle touch screen LCDs to more bodies, I really do love it on my T4i. Speaking of which, I really am wishing my T4i was a 70D. This seems to be a 6D/7D mix with a crop sensor, feature wise. Minus the GPS which is a bummer but I hear it also eats the battery so eh.

Definitely looking forward to fondling one at a store soon

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

Apparently did not get: AMFA, weather sealing, dual card slots, fast card slot, GPS.

Definitely seems like an upgrade from the underwhelming aps-c advances of the past 2-3 years, and I'm actually surprised at how cheap it is (I was guessing $1400 to start). Of course we'll have to wait to see how the sensor actually performs.

This also leaves plenty of room for a 7DmkII or 8D or whatever the high-end crop camera will be called.

e: just glanced at the dpreview preview and it says it got AMFA- cool! They were also pretty positive on the live view AF from my quick readthrough

I'm pretty sure it's AFMA, for autofocus microadjustment. Not AMFA, which is the Aircraft Mechanics Fraternal Association.

Just guessing.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Based on what it's lacking and the price point, they definitely seem to be making room for a new prosumer crop-body like a 7D II. I wonder if we'll see it before the year is over.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Based on what it's lacking and the price point, they definitely seem to be making room for a new prosumer crop-body like a 7D II. I wonder if we'll see it before the year is over.

Sounds like an ideal second 'pro' body for a longer lens if you're dual-wielding for weddings and similar... The 70-200 matched up with my old 50d has a nice reach.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

I hope we do - it will drive the prices of the 7D even lower! If I can pick up a second-hand 7D for $600, life would sure be grand!

mclifford82
Jan 27, 2009

Bump the Barnacle!

bobfather posted:

I hope we do - it will drive the prices of the 7D even lower! If I can pick up a second-hand 7D for $600, life would sure be grand!

And you only have to wait until a few days ago! Just gotta find the deals:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Canon-EOS-7...=item5657813681

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

It will be interesting to see how the sensor performs. Apparently it's a 40mp sensor with almost every pixel masked one way or the other for their new phase-detect AF system. I find it a little bit odd that their APSC technology strategy seems to revolve so strongly around video.

Teikanmi
Dec 16, 2006

by R. Guyovich
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T5JzfCoUSUI

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money

mclifford82 posted:

I saw that a couple days ago, but it was live for no more than a couple hours and it never got posted to any of the deal sites I frequent.

I'm talking about a second-hand, non-refurbished body via Craigslist or something. I hate white-box refurbs because they kill the resale value down the line.

Chitin
Apr 29, 2007

It is no sign of health to be well-adjusted to a profoundly sick society.

Spime Wrangler posted:

It will be interesting to see how the sensor performs. Apparently it's a 40mp sensor with almost every pixel masked one way or the other for their new phase-detect AF system. I find it a little bit odd that their APSC technology strategy seems to revolve so strongly around video.

Not at all, it's one of the major ways they can differentiate themselves from Nikon. Since the 5DmkII video revolution there are a lot of shooters locked into the Canon system, it makes total sense to keep them happy.

Boneitis
Jul 14, 2010

Are all videos from Japan this insane?

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

In the grim darkness of the future there is only Oakley.

All camera reviews should be this amazing

Edit: 70D looks like the loving bomb for video if the new AF in Live works as promised. I wonder if my Tamron lenses will be compatible. :ohdear:

doctor 7 fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Jul 2, 2013

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

Boneitis posted:

Are all videos from Japan this insane?

NMA isn't from japan, what the hell man.

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

Chitin posted:

Not at all, it's one of the major ways they can differentiate themselves from Nikon. Since the 5DmkII video revolution there are a lot of shooters locked into the Canon system, it makes total sense to keep them happy.

That's clearly what they're doing in terms of differentiation, I guess I was just a little surprised that they've put four years of R&D into what looks like video autofocus technologies for their consumer level systems (isn't manual focus basically a must for anything serious? or is that just because it's always sucked in the past? I dont know video.). Seems like they're trying to bring back the camcorder for home movies rather than keep existing pro/semipro DSLR videographers happy.

However, since they've got a 40mp APSC sensor behind this system and a rumored high resolution FF system in the works, I bet this is actually just one application of a new generation of small-pixel-based sensor technologies that'll roll out across the board soon. Canon must have put a lot of effort into small-pixel performance, and probably have some novel analog or digital processing wizardry to go with it. What will a RAW look like from this system? How far does averaging the values of two half-size pixels go towards reducing random noise?

I guess it could be cool. Or just a bunch of crap to make sure they really run their last fluke success into the ground.

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH

bobfather posted:

I saw that a couple days ago, but it was live for no more than a couple hours and it never got posted to any of the deal sites I frequent.

I'm talking about a second-hand, non-refurbished body via Craigslist or something. I hate white-box refurbs because they kill the resale value down the line.

Good thing I have a retail box 60D purchased new. I'll be lucky to get $450 for it by the time I can afford a 5dIII though :negative:

just kidding, I only paid like $600 for it 2 years ago :unsmith:

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

I don't know why chasing video autofocus is such a big priority for manufacturers. Every time I've used it on any system it's awful and does a bad job of actually tracking moving things. On a small sensor camcorder you can kind of deal with it since the depth of field is so deep, but on even m4/3 it looks really clunky.

People using a DSLR as a video camera are going to want lenses with a smooth focus ring with a long throw. And they're probably not going to want to drop the kind of money Canon wants on those cine-primes :argh:

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

1st AD posted:

People using a DSLR as a video camera are going to want lenses with a smooth focus ring with a long throw.
Wrong, based on what I saw at the 2 college graduations I attended in the last month. Professionals want smooth focus rings with a long throw, but they're the minority now.

Parents are using DSLRs as video cameras like crazy now. It's understandable that Canon would want to focus on AF for what are ultimately consumer bodies now; not entry-level, but absolutely mainstream.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

1st AD posted:

I don't know why chasing video autofocus is such a big priority for manufacturers. Every time I've used it on any system it's awful and does a bad job of actually tracking moving things. On a small sensor camcorder you can kind of deal with it since the depth of field is so deep, but on even m4/3 it looks really clunky.

People using a DSLR as a video camera are going to want lenses with a smooth focus ring with a long throw. And they're probably not going to want to drop the kind of money Canon wants on those cine-primes :argh:

It's almost like they're trying to improve the bits of the camera that suck!

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

1st AD posted:

If you're doing something professional sure but people buying cameras just to record photos/video for family are probably very happy with a super simple "press face to focus" and getting some mediocre (instead of brutally awful) tracking.

Edit: think of it a "P for professional" mode for video

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

Yeah I just now saw the promo video they shot with it... if it works that well it's going to be pretty bad rear end for casual video. Youtubes full of running bokeh babies.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

Spime Wrangler posted:

So the dual pixel means twice the resolution for the sake of video AF? What happens in photo mode? Are both pixels being sampled and averaged, or do you have to expect noise like poo poo because of subatomic pixel pitch?

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

I've been holding off on a new camera knowing this was coming out. Hooray! What are the chances that a 60d battery grip will work on it? Did the 50d grip work on the 60d?

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

Erwin posted:

I've been holding off on a new camera knowing this was coming out. Hooray! What are the chances that a 60d battery grip will work on it? Did the 50d grip work on the 60d?

Physically it is a different size so I'd say none for the grip. It uses the same batteries though so at least you can reuse those from you 60D.

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

I don't have a 60d, I was just wondering if I'd have to wait for battery grips to become available, or if I could buy a 60d grip for it right away. I'll be upgrading from an XTi, so I imagine I'll be blown away by everything about it.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer
At least one of the hands-on previews showed a grip, so I'd guess at least the canon branded ones will be available right away. Not sure about the (much cheaper) off-brand ones.

Encor3
Jun 29, 2005

Konnichiwa Bitches

mclifford82 posted:

Just to clear this one up since I've seen it posted roughly three times now, it was a pricing error that was not honored, as it was supposed to be priced at $899.98. I should know since I ordered one and this was the email I received the next day:

quote:

Dear Valued Customer,

We regret to inform you that there was an error in the listing for the
Canon 7D Refurbished posted on eBay's Daily Deal section at $629.00.
Despite our best efforts, with the thousands of items available,
pricing errors can occasionally occur.

We hope you understand that we are unable to complete the orders at
the advertised price. With our sincere apologies we have cancelled
all the orders and refunded in full to Paypal.

We hate to lose a single order, and even more a loyal customer, so by
way of an apology we will be emailing every customer impacted by this
$20.00 in eBay Gift Certificates which will appear shortly in your
account.

We make every effort to avoid this sort of thing from happening and
understand that you may be disappointed. We apologize for the
inconvenience and are grateful for your understanding - and hope you
will continue to shop at Adorama.
We hope to be able to relist this item in the near future on eBay at
special price of $899.98.

Thanks again for your understanding!

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR
Is there an SLR out there aside from the 60D and 70D that has a top LCD that isn't a rectangle?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

MrBlandAverage posted:

Is there an SLR out there aside from the 60D and 70D that has a top LCD that isn't a rectangle?
Not that Canon makes. I can't speak for other manufacturers since I don't pay much attention to what they're making these days.

Have a nice comparison tool: http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/Camera-Top-Comparison.aspx