Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Giggle Goose
Oct 18, 2009

Tyskil posted:

Just to reiterate that swamps are godawful deathtraps, there was a ring of them right around the evac shelter on my latest character and when I tried to get out I fell through a sinkhole into a place with just barely enough dynamite not to be able to bomb my way into the evac shelter's basement.

I just cheated some dynamite in because gently caress that, and when I left the shelter again I pretty much instantly fall back in because the game actually removes the markings for sinkholes that you fell in for some reason.

Its not just the sinkholes. There are drat swarms of nasty, nasty enemies. I drove through one in my truck and was certain that I was going to die as I wasn't sure how much fuel I had left. It was a harrowing experience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe

Giggle Goose posted:

Its not just the sinkholes. There are drat swarms of nasty, nasty enemies. I drove through one in my truck and was certain that I was going to die as I wasn't sure how much fuel I had left. It was a harrowing experience.

Those loving mosquito swarms. I once slammed my car into the densest part of a swarm, and my speed dropped to a single digit then my car went sliding down the road sideways. By the time I regained control of vehicle I had splattered something like 70 of them, and my car was basically hosed.

My current character has to start every morning by clearing off the bugs and frogs that accumulated up outside over night with high powered weaponry. She doesn't have to worry about food, so that's a plus I guess.

Roberto_Silencio
Mar 9, 2004

lets start advertising and make us some real money

Giggle Goose posted:

I had the pleasure of driving down a road that was surrounded by swamps, so it was a near non-stop flood of horrible bugs coming after my truck in an effort to do.. something. I dunno. For almost an hour in real life, I would slam on the gas to go rolling passed the swamps, then hit reverse to back up at full speed, all those creatures that the noise attracted all lined up perfectly to be crushed under the wheels of the mighty Deth Büs. :black101:

By the time I got bored, almost the entire section of road was the pink and red gib squiggles. Then I tried snorting a line of coke while driving and slammed into a gas station.:black101:

Tehan
Jan 19, 2011
I built a killdozer with spiked plating and it very satisfyingly turned zombies and swamp-dwelling beasties into red smears but after playing pinball with a few wrecks and making detours through a couple of houses it was pretty much hosed. Is there a way to layer on armour in such a way that I can treat houses and forests as roads, or do I have to learn to steer?

PiCroft
Jun 11, 2010

I'm sorry, did I break all your shit? I didn't know it was yours

A quick question: assuming I was able to get, say, an electrical system working, so you could generate, transmit and utilize electricity, what kind of applications would you like to see?

I can think of a few, such as light sources, charging powered items/UPS, powering certain things like fridges and so on but is there anything anyone would like to see from such a system?

Tyskil
Jan 28, 2009

PiCroft posted:

A quick question: assuming I was able to get, say, an electrical system working, so you could generate, transmit and utilize electricity, what kind of applications would you like to see?

I can think of a few, such as light sources, charging powered items/UPS, powering certain things like fridges and so on but is there anything anyone would like to see from such a system?

Ability to hook up your wire fences to the grid to make them electric fences? Maybe let you use the range on the stoves like a hotplate? That is about the only thing I can think of that isn't just over the top :science: Though on that note, Red Alert style Tesla Coils.

If we accidentally let a shocker zombie shoot lightning at our generator will it short out the grid? I think that would be a neat thing if you wanted to go that indepth with it.

The King of Swag
Nov 10, 2005

To escape the closure,
is to become the God of Swag.
I'm sure if given time to sit and think about it for a while, I could come up with a multitude of things, but right off the top of my head, I'd say a way to manually generate power alongside generators. The example I've used before is building a bike generator; just like riding a normal bike, except you don't go anywhere and you generate power.

Also, something else that just popped into my head: electric gates and doors. Think the same as palisades doors, except you have a clicker to open and close it instead.

Add:

Working A/C in buildings; it's an entire other load of work to try and add volume detection and propagation of gases so that you could properly model warming or cooling only the inside of a building, but I think a suitable approximation is to have a powered A/C unit, and everything within so many tiles of it while running, will be kept comfortable, no matter how hot or cold the actual temperature is. Actually, you don't even need to do that; I just remembered that the game keeps track of roofed tiles, so you can just make it a requirement for it to be on a roofed tile, and then all connected roofed tiles will be kept comfortable, up to a max tile count, which is dependent on the unit size.

The King of Swag fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Jul 2, 2013

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

PiCroft posted:

Security cameras! Being able to see outside your base before you head out could prove handy and maybe if you get a town's electrical system working you could scout areas you hadn't been to yet by cycling through traffic cameras or even just store security stuff or something.

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

More crafting recipes, and if possible, more efficient crafting recipies. After all, if I have a power drill and table saw I can do a lot more with wood than if I have a wood saw and pocket knife.

Utility robots. Electric forklifts. One of these http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paternoster but for supplies. Hydroponic growing (:420: or otherwise)

Charging electric cars (Or daisy chaining electric cars to power your everything else)

Berious
Nov 13, 2005
Has anyone been able to get trees to burn well? I chop down a tree, turn in into logs and light the logs but even a huge stack burns out after one crafting action. Can I process the logs into 2x4 any way? Would be nice to live as a wood hermit and barely ever go to down but that's pretty hard if you can't make fire easily.

Tehan
Jan 19, 2011
I think the only way to reliably and usefully get cooking fire out of wood is the internal furnace and integrated toolset bionics.

Zip
Mar 19, 2006

Managed to sit at the comp and play for an hour today. Lol. Had so much drat fun.

Found some dead soldiers, loaded up on everything. Went charging into a town shooting everything. Only managed to kill a zombie dog. Eventually chased and killed by an entire hoard for being stupid.
:)

esquilax
Jan 3, 2003

Berious posted:

Has anyone been able to get trees to burn well? I chop down a tree, turn in into logs and light the logs but even a huge stack burns out after one crafting action. Can I process the logs into 2x4 any way? Would be nice to live as a wood hermit and barely ever go to down but that's pretty hard if you can't make fire easily.

Use an axe on the log to make a bunch of 2x4s. Use a knife on the 2x4s to make skewers. One skewer will burn for like 25 minutes you get dozens if not hundreds of skewers from one log.

Also if you want them to last, burn only one skewer at a time. Adding more doesn't really make the fire burn longer.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Fire dynamics really need some reworking. As cool as it is to burn down a whole city with a flamethrower, a house shouldn't burn to ash within 60 in-game minutes.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

LazyCat has a mental condition or something because he's going through like 3 accounts a day at Bay12.

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012

PiCroft posted:

Maybe gasoline powered generators, with some way to process rotten fruits to biofuel? I'd also like to see a way to grow/farm plants, but that's a whole different kettle of fish. Would provide more of an incentive to settle in one spot rather than a mobile base.

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe

PiCroft posted:

Some sort of powered workbench we could find or build that functions more or less as a stationary Integrated Toolset would be nifty.

TheKnife
Jan 24, 2009
It should be possible to disassemble objects on the ground
It's pretty impractical to disassemble steel plating when it weighs 600 units and you have to be lifting it the entire time

Tyskil
Jan 28, 2009
So do crowbars still fail to set off alarms anywhere? I accidentally crowbar-ed my way into a bank to escape some zombies and it called down the eyebots on me. I don't think they saw me but is the couple of blocks around the bank a no-go zone forever now or will the robo fuzz back off after a few days?

I mean I'd just shoot them but this character has just started off and I don't actually have access to anything better than a homemade crossbow right now.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
They'll despawn after a while if you leave the area.

Daktar
Aug 19, 2008

I done turned 'er head into a slug an' now she's a-stucked!
It's kind of annoying that you can only siphon gasoline out of vehicles at the moment. I installed a water tank on my hugely modified semi-truck, intending to siphon water out into my canteen as necessary, but I found out that it only works with the RV kitchen unit. I did make one of those, but foolishly I did so inside my shelter, and it's too heavy to bring outside and install. I'm currently driving around looking for a hydraulic muscles CBM. So I can make myself a nice little camper van. It would probably be easier just to make another unit. This game.

e: And wow, frostbite is a bitch. Any way to cure it or am I stuck being a gangrenous freak for the rest of this character's life?

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Be they sad or be they well,
I'll make their lives a hell

Daktar posted:

It's kind of annoying that you can only siphon gasoline out of vehicles at the moment. I installed a water tank on my hugely modified semi-truck, intending to siphon water out into my canteen as necessary, but I found out that it only works with the RV kitchen unit. I did make one of those, but foolishly I did so inside my shelter, and it's too heavy to bring outside and install. I'm currently driving around looking for a hydraulic muscles CBM. So I can make myself a nice little camper van. It would probably be easier just to make another unit. This game.

e: And wow, frostbite is a bitch. Any way to cure it or am I stuck being a gangrenous freak for the rest of this character's life?

Can't you use the '/' inventory interface to move the item? It's slow but that's how I move tons of heavy poo poo like logs and sheet metal 2 tiles at a time into the back of my truck.

Bilal
Feb 20, 2012

Daktar posted:

Diseases are tough in this game. I got a fungal infection and after I chilled in my shelter for days and days to see if it would go away fungal stalks shooting out of my arms and breaking them every day isn't fun I finally had to check the wiki and cheat in the item I needed to cure it.

Riolith
Dec 24, 2005
The Quiescent

Bilal posted:

Diseases are tough in this game. I got a fungal infection and after I chilled in my shelter for days and days to see if it would go away fungal stalks shooting out of my arms and breaking them every day isn't fun I finally had to check the wiki and cheat in the item I needed to cure it.

That particular disease is a bit of a special case. For frost bite, you should be able to cure it by warming the affected body part up.

jizzy sillage
Aug 13, 2006

So I went into town during the day in a previously-cleared area to pick up some ammo I'd left behind in the gun store, when I encountered a few flaming eye things and an evil shimmering portal. Nailed one a few times with my 1911, killing it, and bailed to the safety of my shelter.

Then I started seeing things in the dark. Giant ants, fractals, all sorts of mental poo poo. While I was doing some reading by the console, a flaming eye suddenly appeared inside. Drew my 1911, dumped a mag into it, then picked up all my casings for later reloading. Feeling a little tired, I made sure all the curtains were close and the doors boarded up, and headed downstairs to my cot to sleep.

Six hours later, I am an incinerated corpse with another flaming eye hovering over my body, having spent the last five hours watching me sleep and blasting me with lasers or something.

Man, gently caress those things.

Daktar
Aug 19, 2008

I done turned 'er head into a slug an' now she's a-stucked!

Nevets posted:

Can't you use the '/' inventory interface to move the item? It's slow but that's how I move tons of heavy poo poo like logs and sheet metal 2 tiles at a time into the back of my truck.

This worked, thanks. It's a complicated process, though. The game really could do with a simpler system for dragging poo poo.

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Be they sad or be they well,
I'll make their lives a hell

Daktar posted:

This worked, thanks. It's a complicated process, though. The game really could do with a simpler system for dragging poo poo.

Yeah, the easiest way to do it repetitively is setup the left pane to show 'a'll, and the right pane to show the direction you want to move everything. Then you just have to hold down 'm', escape, move 2 tiles, open the '/' screen again and repeat.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Which of the easy-to-find items best to use as a fuel when I need a fire to cook meat on?
Right now I'm looking for heavy sticks and burning them but they don't last.

Berious
Nov 13, 2005

Jack Trades posted:

Which of the easy-to-find items best to use as a fuel when I need a fire to cook meat on?
Right now I'm looking for heavy sticks and burning them but they don't last.

(a) use your knife on a two by four for a bunch of skewers. One skewer is good for about 3-4 cooked meats or a ton of clean water. Also they have no weight or volume so you can carry around all the firewood you'll ever need.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

A couple more questions:

How exactly does clothing encumbrance system works? I understand the penalties but not how it calculates the final encumbrance.
It seems to be more complicated than adding all the numbers together.

Also what's the point of re-layering the clothes with '+' menu? I played around with different layering but it doesn't seem to be any difference whenever I wear my backpack over my t-shirt or underneath it.

Berious posted:

(a) use your knife on a two by four for a bunch of skewers. One skewer is good for about 3-4 cooked meats or a ton of clean water. Also they have no weight or volume so you can carry around all the firewood you'll ever need.

Fantastic, thanks!

TheKnife
Jan 24, 2009

Jack Trades posted:

A couple more questions:

How exactly does clothing encumbrance system works? I understand the penalties but not how it calculates the final encumbrance.
It seems to be more complicated than adding all the numbers together.

Also what's the point of re-layering the clothes with '+' menu? I played around with different layering but it doesn't seem to be any difference whenever I wear my backpack over my t-shirt or underneath it.

It seems to me like all parts except the torso get additional encumbrance for wearing several pieces of clothing, whereas for the torso the numbers are just added (Or at least something like that)

I'm thinking armor layering might affect what pieces are damaged first when you are attacked, but I don't know anything for sure

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Has anyone else tried to recreate themselves in Cataclysm (no cheating!) and see how far you manage to survive?

I keep dying because I'm too weak to use any melee weapons and getting to gun shops with static spawning is deadly.
I managed to find an MGL with 4 grenades and 2 Anti-Tank launchers. That Jabberwock didn't see it coming. :smug:

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I would, but stats only go up to twenty. :smuggo:

Doctor Doodler
Feb 14, 2012
I found out what a Jabberwock, but now my 2 day old character is dead.

P_R_Deltoid
Jun 4, 2009

Grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother? I hurt people

Doctor Doodler posted:

I found out what a Jabberwock, but now my 2 day old character is dead.

Was just coming here to post about these. They seem to appear super early sometimes,and there is literally no way to deal with them if they appear before you've gotten gear. I was 5 minutes into a character when 1 appeared, before I had found ANY items, and I just committed suicide immediately, because they make it useless to continue.

Jabberwocks need to be locked away in high level areas or something, most of my deaths are unpreventable jabberwock encounters. Even shot one with two LAWs and it didn't even die before it cut me to death through my kevlar and army poo poo.

Zombie brutes suck too, but at least those only appear in towns.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I'm playing with Classic Zombies setting on but Jabberwocks still show up. They shouldn't IMO.

Sumac
Sep 5, 2006

It doesn't matter now, come on get happy
So the Kickstarter is funded. Hooray!

odd2k
Jul 18, 2006
I DIDN'T CONTRIBUTE ANYTHING BUT A SHITTY POST SO I GOT THIS SHITTY CUSTOM TITLE!

Jack Trades posted:

I keep dying because I'm too weak to use any melee weapons and getting to gun shops with static spawning is deadly.

Two words: Archery and vehicles. Both are insanely overpowered in the current build, and make things kinda boring imo.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

If you don't want to do either of those, there's also slings and slingshots! ...which are also overpowered and can be done from scratch unlike archery.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

P_R_Deltoid
Jun 4, 2009

Grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother? I hurt people

odd2k posted:

Two words: Archery and vehicles. Both are insanely overpowered in the current build, and make things kinda boring imo.

I'd imagine driving a car into someone would be ALMOST as effective in real life, I wouldn't say they are "overpowered" as the fuel is hard to come by (depending on your map)