Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

If I were human, I believe my response would be: 'go to hell'.

Senor Candle posted:

The marines should know this right? Why didn't they have fruits on hand to recapture Ace's power? Shouldn't that be common practice when executing devil fruit users?

Presumably they didn't know what kind of fruit Ace's fruit originated from? CC created Smiley so he could have known it was an apple.

Also that episode was excruciating to watch. So many awful cuts and reaction shots of people yelling and running.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

Crazyeyes posted:

Presumably they didn't know what kind of fruit Ace's fruit originated from? CC created Smiley so he could have known it was an apple.

Also that episode was excruciating to watch. So many awful cuts and reaction shots of people yelling and running.

Isn't there an encyclopedia of all of the fruits? If not then just get a bunch of fruits and hope for the best.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

Senor Candle posted:

Isn't there an encyclopedia of all of the fruits? If not then just get a bunch of fruits and hope for the best.

There is an encyclopaedia of all known fruits, yeah, but it isn't exhaustive or anything, Kaku and Kalifa's fruits were unknowns, for example. It's also possible that there is only so much information on certain fruits.

Do you know hoe many different kinds of fruit there are in the world? Let alone all the crazy fruits that probably exist in One piece land. Even if the marines could assemble every type of fruit in the world, Ceasar's goons had a whole bag of apples for a reason, I think. There appears to be some random factor over which particular individual of the right fruit is chosen.

I think it's entirely possible tha Marineford had an entire stockpile of different fruits (maybe more of the ones they were sure of), not only for Ace but just in case anybody died during Whitebeard's inevitable assault on the Marines.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
Just to be sure - did I miss some important development in the anime? Because you all seem to know quite a bit about the fruits and whatnot and there was literally zero info about them since Blackbeard took Whitebeard's power.

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

IT'S LIKE I CAN TOUCH YOU!

lordfrikk posted:

Just to be sure - did I miss some important development in the anime? Because you all seem to know quite a bit about the fruits and whatnot and there was literally zero info about them since Blackbeard took Whitebeard's power.

A lot of it is info that's been around for a while, plus some stuff that was implied here and there and eventually confirmed by Oda. The idea that fruits regenerate is something that's been implied for a long time but it wasn't outright shown how it worked until this arc.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

you stupid fuck!
Ah, I see. Thanks.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Prison Warden posted:

I seem to recall someone mentioning an edit of Marineford floating around a while back, but all my googling has turned up nothing but dead links these days :(

Marineford Abridged or One Pace is whats its called IIRC.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Senor Candle posted:

The marines should know this right? Why didn't they have fruits on hand to recapture Ace's power? Shouldn't that be common practice when executing devil fruit users?

Maybe they did we didn't get to see what they were doing behind the scenes.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Senor Candle posted:

Maybe. It depends on whether or not Vega Punk told them. Since he works for the World Government instead of the Marines it could go either way. Plus Joker might have intercepted/hosed with any communications between Vega Punk and the Marines regarding the matter.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

If to live in this style is to be eccentric, it must be confessed that there is something good in eccentricity.

Grimey Drawer
Are these all manga spoilers or speculations? (Actually, don't answer that)
So I guess that means that Blackbeard knew what fruit Whitebeard had eaten and that is how we able to gain his power.
I figured the extra apples were to catch the other's powers, too, but I guess not. I would have still at least tried. Still, it is said really early in the series that the mystery behind the fruits lies somewhere in the Grand Line, so there's still more to be revealed I think.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Every Devil Fruit comes from trees that bloom on Sniper Island.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

If to live in this style is to be eccentric, it must be confessed that there is something good in eccentricity.

Grimey Drawer

Gyges posted:

Can love bloom on Sniper Island?

John Liver
May 4, 2009

Gyges posted:

We joke, but I fully expect that this island is real and we just haven't seen it yet.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
New Episode is up. That's a shitload of gags. Also Killer and Kidd have been hitting the weights like mad for the last two years.

Also also this:

Silento
Feb 16, 2012

Gyges posted:

Also also this:

Woah.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

you stupid fuck!
re: better paced War of the Best: I noticed there's first "episode" of the cut and merged attempt floating around, it's called Paced One Piece - Whitebeard War. I'm not sure if it's not :filez: so I won't put a link here. Haven't had a chance to check it out, yet, though.

lordfrikk fucked around with this message at 09:28 on Jul 7, 2013

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Random belated comment, but I am thinking about the defeated Cool Brothers (who are now probably quite dead). They claimed to know the mountains like the back of their hands, but the snow only existed as far back as Aokiji and Akainu's fight, which was no more than 2 years ago. And the entire island was reshaped whenever that explosion happened, so the ones that are most familiar with it aren't them, but the pirates that Caesar had working for him. I really expected more from them, but now I feel like they are quite finished. They created so much mystery about them, and really talked them up, then they were defeated so unceremoniously. (And they managed to fail to kill Brownbeard at point-blank range [in fact, they killed no one])

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Shadow0 posted:

Random belated comment, but I am thinking about the defeated Cool Brothers (who are now probably quite dead). They claimed to know the mountains like the back of their hands, but the snow only existed as far back as Aokiji and Akainu's fight, which was no more than 2 years ago. And the entire island was reshaped whenever that explosion happened, so the ones that are most familiar with it aren't them, but the pirates that Caesar had working for him. I really expected more from them, but now I feel like they are quite finished. They created so much mystery about them, and really talked them up, then they were defeated so unceremoniously. (And they managed to fail to kill Brownbeard at point-blank range [in fact, they killed no one])

They were so cool though, that's all that matters.

ArcaneTree
Feb 27, 2013
Now that was a good episode, funny how someone named Killer was the voice of reason in the group. Also looks like Kid is missing his arm and replaced it with an arm of metal :black101:

Next episode should be awesome. :dance:

ArcaneTree fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Jul 7, 2013

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
New Episode. The long awaited appearance of the most astonishing attack ever. Gum Gum UFO. Kind of got my hopes up unrealistically and was wanting some Theremin or other Sci Fi sounds for it though.

Andrew_1985
Sep 18, 2007
Hay hay hay!
So what favour did Luffy ask of Robin? Follow Law?

d[-.-]b
Aug 1, 2004

my fav champ that hero who cats a spell that make all bad guy fall down and say my dick BIG

Andrew_1985 posted:

So what favour did Luffy ask of Robin? Follow Law?

He asked her to clone his hat a bunch of times and place them all around the compound so that he can fight without worrying about losing it.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Was it just me or was that one of the worst episodes yet for pacing and animation? I hope there's a filler arc after this, but I doubt it.
I still don't even understand the point of the weapon, anyone that has entered the New World is already powerful enough to level an island or two of people easily.
I tried watching the One Pace - it's alright. It's nice to see two episodes in one, but sometimes they do cut out some good stuff. Also, they are doing things in a weird order, so it might be best to wait until they finish.

edit: Also, using some of the best songs for nothing was upsetting. You shouldn't break out Overtaken and Gomu Gomu no Bazooka for some small fries and an uninspirational speech by Zoro.

Shadow0 fucked around with this message at 10:14 on Jul 15, 2013

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
He's presumably aiming for mass-production so that you'd have an army of loyal bio-weapons that can wipe out entire islands. While there's quite a few in the new-world who can do this as well (not as many as you seem to think though I would imagine), most of them wouldn't be loyal to the Marines or in lots of cases anyone but themselves, and the ones who are in many cases would either have issue doing this for humanitarian reasons or may simply take quite a while to do so. Even if there were dozens of logias who could do it in minutes and were completely loyal to the you and had no issue killing thousands, it's no harm having back-up in case they get hurt, aren't in the area or start to question their orders. Nothing is absolute in life after all. Never hurts to have options.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

you stupid fuck!

Shadow0 posted:

Was it just me or was that one of the worst episodes yet for pacing and animation?

Nope, some of the shots were 3 times as long as they should've been, a complete waste of time (mine and the shows', too). If you played the episode 1.5x faster I think it'd be more bearable.

ArcaneTree
Feb 27, 2013
That latest episode was awful, the noise Chopper made when he escaped from the room was hilarious though

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer

"How could this have happened?! The door was only closing for 20 minutes and letting off an absurdly loud siren the entire time. Also, the door didn't even begin closing for at least 10 minutes. And they have already demonstrated that they can effortlessly cut steel / teleport."

At least he began pumping the gas into the room before the door was closed, thus endangering the whole facility. A good strategy would have been to lock the next set of doors at the same time, but we all know that won't happen.

I am trying my best to suspend belief for a lot of this, but there's just not a moment of belief to be had this entire arc. It's just been one after another of "tense" scenes where they are chased by something you feel they will avoid even though they have no right to just because. Or just somehow survive something completely lethal. There is zero sense of danger despite how often they try to create it. Honestly, the Fishman Arc was better.

Also, getting really sick of the sexual abuse that Tashigi just puts up with. What was her plan by staying back anyway?
Did anyone else think the scene where all the men suddenly grabbed and restrained her was going to go differently? And then with the gate closing and the men holding her back. I can't make gifs, but if you didn't know the context (hell, even if you did), well. Also, Tashigi can't stop four of her men which Zoro and the others cleared away by blinking too hard?

Shadow0 fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Jul 23, 2013

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Shadow0 posted:

"How could this have happened?! The door was only closing for 20 minutes and letting off an absurdly loud siren the entire time. Also, the door didn't even begin closing for at least 10 minutes. And they have already demonstrated that they can effortlessly cut steel / teleport."

At least he began pumping the gas into the room before the door was closed, thus endangering the whole facility. A good strategy would have been to lock the next set of doors at the same time, but we all know that won't happen.

That's just textbook Caesar Clown. If only the anime would properly display the amazing faces he makes you'd understand why he's one of the best villains in One Piece.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

New episode up. I wasn't really bothered by the animation quality before, but it's just atrocious in this episode. There's a scene with Sanji that SHOULD have been cool and funny and gotten me pumped for what follows, but it falls utterly flat.

But I'm not really here to talk about the latest crappy episode. I want to talk about the movies, because I just got done watching them all.

1 - One Piece: The Movie - This was a fun little thing with some pleasantly old-school animation. It rolls at a breakneck pace, though, trying to cram a whole treasure hunting arc into less than an hour. The fights are almost jarringly short, which turned out to be a pretty persistent thing through all the movies. The "treasure" itself was kinda dumb, but I might have appreciated it more had I seen it way back when, in simpler times.

2 - Clockwork Island Adventure - I enjoyed the hell out of this. Neat setting, straight-forward plot, lots of good fights. Annoying movie kid didn't bother me so much. Ends on kind of a weird you hosed everything up but we don't actually mind note, but I think that's a running theme in One Piece now.

3 - Chopper's Kingdom on the Island of Strange Animals - I barely remember a thing about this movie. Some rear end in a top hat wanted to eat horns, there was a stupid selfish kid, and some people got beat up, I guess. Bleh.

4 - Dead End Adventure - This seemed like a solid movie at the time, but in hindsight I don't remember anything between the start of the race and the final showdown. That first bit in the secret pirate party palace was rad, though.

5 - The Cursed Holy Sword - I really liked this one, though it's way more anime fantasy than One Piece usually is. I liked the story, liked the characters, liked the fights. Solid.

6 - Baron Omatsuri and the Secret Island - This movie OWNS, but it feels more like a great movie that happens to use One Piece characters. The tone is utterly different from anything else, and it gets positively Lovecraftian by the end. I think my wife hated this movie as much as I loved it.

7 - The Giant Mechanical Soldier of Karakuri Castle - What a stupid loving movie. The story is stupid, the villain is stupid, everything that happens is stupid. I'd rather watch Chopper's Island of the Pointless poo poo than this clusterfuck again.

I didn't watch 8 or 9 because at this point, I had no inclination to watch a worse version of something I'd already seen.

10 - One Piece Film: Strong World - Probably my favorite. The new characters were cool, the setting was cool, the fights were great...everything made me happy. The shootout near the end was hilariously awesome.

11 - One Piece 3D: Straw Hat Chase - I liked this way more than I thought I would. The CG animation makes for some amazing fights, which can be much more fluid and visceral than the traditionally animated ones. As good as the action is, though, the CG animators are pretty bad at getting the characters to emote right. If they could get up to speed on that front, I think CG One Piece could be pretty great.

12 - One Piece Film Z - Great movie, in part because it's the only one that feels like part of the One Piece story and not some self-contained wank. It really ends up being more about the villain than the Straw Hats, and his story isn't really THAT interesting, but the overall plot and pacing are solid. Not as entertaining as Strong World to me, but felt more relevant. My wife didn't like it, and she had an interesting point in her reason, which is that Luffy never actually WINS in this one. Sure, he gets his hat back, but he fights Z three times, gets his rear end beat twice, and the third time fights to a standstill. I didn't think about it at the time, but I found the ending pretty unsatisfying and that was why.

Overall, the movies were enjoyable but didn't do a lot for me. I went in hoping for some crazy good budget-breaking fights, and didn't really get that until Strong World. Some of the scenes and stories were cool, but most of the films either felt too inconsequential or tried to cram too much story into their runtimes. I also found it interesting that my wife didn't care for any of the movies, and she's a way bigger One Piece fan than me. Seemed like every movie did something she really didn't like, or was just too pointless to her.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Zombie Samurai posted:

12 - One Piece Film Z - Great movie, in part because it's the only one that feels like part of the One Piece story and not some self-contained wank. It really ends up being more about the villain than the Straw Hats, and his story isn't really THAT interesting, but the overall plot and pacing are solid. Not as entertaining as Strong World to me, but felt more relevant. My wife didn't like it, and she had an interesting point in her reason, which is that Luffy never actually WINS in this one. Sure, he gets his hat back, but he fights Z three times, gets his rear end beat twice, and the third time fights to a standstill. I didn't think about it at the time, but I found the ending pretty unsatisfying and that was why.

I disagree, that was one of the best parts of the movie. The lieutenants sucked, their fights were dumb, and the oh by the way you can end the world plot device was double dumb. Z though, he was awesome and it's great that Luffy still isn't at the level where he can beat the poo poo out of an Admiral. At the same time though, Luffy did hold his own in a haki fight with a dude made Admiral due to how awesome his haki was.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

I rather like movie 2 because even though it has some dumb villains, it's short and they keep the plot simple (Nami has been kidnapped! Time to beat up the guys that kidnapped her). Like most of the movies there's a kid but because the movie is so short and goes at a breakneck speed, they barely spend any time on his generic sob story.

Plus movie 2 had Dance Carnival. Do the other movies have anything like Dance Carnival? No? I rest my case :colbert:

(It's a shame they stopped doing those shorts before the movies, they were fun to watch. Unless that changed recently, I haven't seen the last few)

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

Gyges posted:

I disagree, that was one of the best parts of the movie. The lieutenants sucked, their fights were dumb, and the oh by the way you can end the world plot device was double dumb. Z though, he was awesome and it's great that Luffy still isn't at the level where he can beat the poo poo out of an Admiral. At the same time though, Luffy did hold his own in a haki fight with a dude made Admiral due to how awesome his haki was.

I would totally be right there with you if this was part of the series proper, but I have different expectations of the movies. I probably shouldn't, since this is about as close to canon as the movies can get, but I still wanted some kind of catharsis at the end. Something more like the end of Alabasta or Skypeia, especially after how personal Z made the conflict. Instead, it's a whole lot of buildup to end with Luffy and Z boxing each other to exhaustion. You're right that it works in a greater context, and makes a statement about Luffy's progress. That's just not what I was looking for here.

Petiso
Apr 30, 2012

Srice posted:

Plus movie 2 had Dance Carnival. Do the other movies have anything like Dance Carnival? No? I rest my case :colbert:

The football ("soccer") and baseball specials were great too :colbert:

Sekkira
Apr 11, 2008

I Don't Get It,
I Don't Get It,

Zombie Samurai posted:

I would totally be right there with you if this was part of the series proper, but I have different expectations of the movies. I probably shouldn't, since this is about as close to canon as the movies can get, but I still wanted some kind of catharsis at the end. Something more like the end of Alabasta or Skypeia, especially after how personal Z made the conflict. Instead, it's a whole lot of buildup to end with Luffy and Z boxing each other to exhaustion. You're right that it works in a greater context, and makes a statement about Luffy's progress. That's just not what I was looking for here.

Not sure what to spoiler in this paragraph, so I'll just do the whole thing:

I really liked Movie Z because we don't have enough antagonists in One Piece that go head to head with Luffy only to come out of the fight with mutual respect. Especially that Luffy didn't beat the poo poo out of him, but fight him to a stalemate. Climaxes of the show and movies end with Luffy beating the poo poo out of the antagonist of the arc, usually within an inch of both their lives. But he hasn't come across anybody that wasn't either straight up better than him or he pulls a miraculous beat down out of his rear end.

As for the TV series, I'm kind of looking forward to see what Luffy has planned for Caesar with Robin. Now that we're coming on to a climax of power in regards to Haki, I kinda feel the series may take a turn similar to JJBA. Haki is generally better than any devil fruit power in terms of straight up power, but I'd imagine it sets itself up, with their ridiculous misfit crew to pull some clever combat combining the straight up power of Haki and the weirdness of their powers in the crew depending on who they're facing. Maybe the higher levels of antagonists (Blackbeard and Akainu. I don't really see Kizaru being up there because he seems to have a more laid back attitude) will be beaten not by Luffy punching them into the ground, but a group effort from the crew, especially as the show emphasises on the whole nakama thing.

Hell, Luffy already does this with his gear second and third, using his rubber body to be straight up faster or bigger with his different haki masteries that would make him a better fighter than somebody with just his level of haki mastery.

KoB
May 1, 2009

Sekkira posted:

Maybe the higher levels of antagonists (Blackbeard and Akainu. I don't really see Kizaru being up there because he seems to have a more laid back attitude) will be beaten not by Luffy punching them into the ground, but a group effort from the crew, especially as the show emphasises on the whole nakama thing.

Theres also the problem of Kizaru's ability being so incredibly powerful that he really shouldn't lose to many people without some sort of plot shenanigans. I wouldnt be surprised if he never gets a real fight against the crew.

d[-.-]b
Aug 1, 2004

my fav champ that hero who cats a spell that make all bad guy fall down and say my dick BIG

KoB posted:

Theres also the problem of Kizaru's ability being so incredibly powerful that he really shouldn't lose to many people without some sort of plot shenanigans. I wouldnt be surprised if he never gets a real fight against the crew.

I doubt he thinks at light speed.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

"d[-.- posted:

b" post="417917975"]
I doubt he thinks at light speed.

That makes me wonder...is it possible to get the drop on a Logia user? Or are they always in elemental form? I can't think of a time any of them have gotten punked with a run-of-the-mill attack. If that's the case, it's haki or the highway, and landing a hit on a guy made of light should be next to impossible.

Luffy will probably pull it off the next time Kizaru threatens to photon-stomp one of the crew.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
There was that time in Alabasta where Luffy flew right into Smoker from behind and they both crashed into the bar Ace was eating in. I don't know if that part was filler or not, though.

Sekkira
Apr 11, 2008

I Don't Get It,
I Don't Get It,

Generally, no. You can't get the drop on an logia user. I recall somebody shooting earlobes in the head and it not doing poo poo. Kizaru was also shot in the head dead on and he wasn't expecting it (then again, his personality is laid back enough that it's hard to tell whether he was mocking the dude that he didn't expect it or he straight up grew out of the whole making GBS threads yourself when somebody blows a hole in you).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fat_Cow
Dec 12, 2009

Every time I yank a jawbone from a skull and ram it into an eyesocket, I know I'm building a better future.

There was something about Crocodile saying he "trained" his fruit so it would automatically turn him to sand.