Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mike From Nowhere
Jan 31, 2007

I guess there has to be one thing I just can't help, Lois.

"Your cape's lookin' pretty red there, comrade."

I actually love the idea that any time Superman's name is invoked in an argument he takes the time to show up and tell people what he thinks about everything. "I heard my name mentioned, citizen! Let me weigh in on this recycling by-law!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poly and open-minded
Nov 22, 2006

In BOD we trust

I like the opinion of "Who needs a hospital in this town?!"

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Arctic Baldwin posted:

I like the opinion of "Who needs a hospital in this town?!"

Ron Paul-Superman Crossover Issue

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Mike From Nowhere posted:

I actually love the idea that any time Superman's name is invoked in an argument he takes the time to show up and tell people what he thinks about everything. "I heard my name mentioned, citizen! Let me weigh in on this recycling by-law!"

"Hey man, did you see that Royals game last night? They really suck!"
*whoosh*
"Actually Sammy, the Kansas City Royals are one of the finest teams in the AL and are far overdue for the pennant. In fact, I bet they'd have it this season if it weren't for those goddamn Yankees. Christ, those overpaid assholes drive me nuts! Sorry, Sammy, got myself worked up there. I just really like Kansas sports, alright?"
*flies away*

qntm
Jun 17, 2009

gfanikf posted:

From an April 1950 PSA in a Superman Issue
Truth, Justice, and The American Way.
http://marvelmasterworksfansite.yuku.com/topic/17533/KNOW-YOUR-PUBLIC-SERVICE-ANNOUNCEMENT-ADS#.UdG7DPnVAWZ

Without any irony, this is my Superman. The world needs to be smacked in the face with more unambiguous positive messages.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

qntm posted:

Without any irony, this is my Superman. The world needs to be smacked in the face with more unambiguous positive messages.

I feel exactly the same way. I sent it around to family and friends with a in time for the 4th subject header and got replies back saying that they all agreed wholeheartedly. I'll take this over dark and gritty any day of the week. Superman represents the hope and endless possibility of America in particular and humankind in general and its good to see that.

Check out the page that I linked and you'll find tons more and some background on the man, Jack Schiff, who headed the effort. Apparently when he retired his coworkers at DC gave him a bound book of all the PSAs. He claimed it was the thing he was proudest of.

Marshal Prolapse fucked around with this message at 13:37 on Jul 2, 2013

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

qntm posted:

It's blunt. The world NEEDS more blunt. We've tried subtle-it's gotten us in a world of trouble. Since everything old is new again, why not bring these back and put them everywhere?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

gfanikf posted:

I feel exactly the same way. I sent it around to family and friends with a in time for the 4th subject header and got replies back saying that they all agreed wholeheartedly. I'll take this over dark and gritty any day of the week. Superman represents the hope and endless possibility of America in particular and humankind in general and its good to see that.

Check out the page that I linked and you'll find tons more and some background on the man, Jack Schiff, who headed the effort. Apparently when he retired his coworkers at DC gave him a bound book of all the PSAs. He claimed it was the thing he was proudest of.

DC should release that as a trade. I know I would buy a copy.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

bobkatt013 posted:

DC should release that as a trade. I know I would buy a copy.

I would too. I wonder if anyone has ever approached them, either internally or externally to do it. Didn't Marvel release a bunch of their PSA comics in a trade?

Exit Strategy
Dec 10, 2010

by sebmojo
"Superman's Guide To Don't Be A Dick"

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Exit Strategy posted:

"Superman's Guide To Don't Be A Dick"

This is what happens if you are a dick in front of Superman

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

I am amazed by the amount of people who think like this nowadays. "I don't need universal health care, I never get sick!". That kind of thing. Come on. If it's good enough for Superman, it's good enough for you.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Madkal posted:

I am amazed by the amount of people who think like this nowadays. "I don't need universal health care, I never get sick!". That kind of thing. Come on. If it's good enough for Superman, it's good enough for you.

Superman should've just ripped that old dude's arm off and asked him "Now do you see how you might need a hospital in this town, Mr. Stanton?" and everyone would smile and laugh, warm-heartedly.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Madkal posted:

Well there is a difference between not supporting Universal Health Care (and the costs of it) for everyone including people who are employed and can get it via their job, but supporting coverage for the marginal segments of the population/those in need/distress and just not wanting hospitals.

Not to derail things further.

Bob Hope on the Golden Rule

Children with Disabilities

Sporting Activities

I'm going to have to look into this Brotherhood week thing, it seems to come up a few times.

Marshal Prolapse fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Jul 2, 2013

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
"Long-hair music"?

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

God, I'm so tired. What the hell did I post last night?
National Brotherhood Week was a community-building event dreamed up by the National Conference of Christians and Jews, which itself formed in response to anti-Catholic sentiments directed at Al Smith when he ran for the Democratic Presidential nomination in 1928. The NCCJ is still around today, but Brotherhood Week hasn't been celebrated in over thirty years.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Conference_for_Community_and_Justice
http://www.chicagonow.com/not-for-jews-only/2013/02/national-brotherhood-week-123/

The week itself, though, is probably best remembered thanks to it being lampooned by master satirist Tom Lehrer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Vm-8eXFgqA

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Wade Wilson posted:

"Long-hair music"?
"lovely Hippie Music"

Hey, as long as it's not people, you're not cheating yourself if you don't like something. Besides everyone doesn't like certain things and no one cares. :colbert:

I'll admit it did make me laugh, but I suspect the choice was intentional, to get a mix of what people picked. "It's okay not to like things, but not people" seems to be the message and they want people to get different results.

e.

Redeye Flight posted:

National Brotherhood Week was a community-building event dreamed up by the National Conference of Christians and Jews, which itself formed in response to anti-Catholic sentiments directed at Al Smith when he ran for the Democratic Presidential nomination in 1928. The NCCJ is still around today, but Brotherhood Week hasn't been celebrated in over thirty years.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Conference_for_Community_and_Justice
http://www.chicagonow.com/not-for-jews-only/2013/02/national-brotherhood-week-123/

The week itself, though, is probably best remembered thanks to it being lampooned by master satirist Tom Lehrer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Vm-8eXFgqA

Thank you very much.

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

God, I'm so tired. What the hell did I post last night?

gfanikf posted:

"lovely Hippie Music"

Hey, as long as it's not people, you're not cheating yourself if you don't like something. Besides everyone doesn't like certain things and no one cares. :colbert:

I'll admit it did make me laugh, but I suspect the choice was intentional, to get a mix of what people picked. "It's okay not to like things, but not people" seems to be the message and they want people to get different results.

e.

Thank you very much.

No problem! It's the least I could do to thank you for posting all these PSAs--they're actually great reading, and I haven't seen one yet that couldn't still be applied today in some fashion.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Redeye Flight posted:

No problem! It's the least I could do to thank you for posting all these PSAs--they're actually great reading, and I haven't seen one yet that couldn't still be applied today in some fashion.

You're welcome, but the real credit should go to the guy in this thread. The guy posted them all (at least which could be found) in order of publication.

I agree, all of them are still relevant and perfectly useable.

Well some of the UN ones may be a little more idealistic, but honestly they focus on some of the things that the UN can/does do that I like.

Superman on the UN Declaration of Human Rights.

More Truth, Justice, and The American Way. :911:

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,
And rise the M.C. Etrigan!

Wade Wilson posted:

"Long-hair music"?

Don't forget the Negroes, right next to spiders.

Psykmoe
Oct 28, 2008

gfanikf posted:

More Truth, Justice, and The American Way. :911:

It's true, köttbullar is pretty great, and I'm not even Swedish. I'm not sure it makes up for lutefisk, but that's more of a shared blame thing for Scandinavia anyway :colbert:

Razorwired
Dec 7, 2008

It's about to start!

ManiacClown posted:

Don't forget the Negroes, right next to spiders.

I think it passes because the preferred term for African-American has changed several times in the last century. I think Negro was actually the term in use until the 60s/70s.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Razorwired posted:

I think it passes because the preferred term for African-American has changed several times in the last century. I think Negro was actually the term in use until the 60s/70s.

Yeah, it was definitely the acceptable nomenclature at the time. Funny enough it was still used on the last census. Apparently some older African Americans prefer using that term as its the one their accustom too (Black was also an option).

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,

gfanikf posted:

Yeah, it was definitely the acceptable nomenclature at the time. Funny enough it was still used on the last census. Apparently some older African Americans prefer using that term as its the one their accustom too (Black was also an option).

My mother actually used it at least into the '80s. I remember her telling me (as a kid) that Brazil nuts were called "friend of the family toes." I think she genuinely thought that's what they were called because relatively recently I mentioned that fact to her and she asked me, "So what are they called?" Granted, she comes from one of those small towns where all the families have pretty much intermarried by now, everyone's got the same ethnic background, and time pretty much stood still there until the Internet hit.

Or is it Sputnik
Aug 22, 2009

Oh, Ho-oh oh oh, oh whoa oh oh oh
I'll get 'em caught, show Oak what I've got

Psykmoe posted:

It's true, köttbullar is pretty great, and I'm not even Swedish. I'm not sure it makes up for lutefisk, but that's more of a shared blame thing for Scandinavia anyway :colbert:
You'd diss lutfisk when there's surströmming?

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

All this reminded me of the time I learned that Superman helped fight the KKK.

http://mentalfloss.com/article/23157/how-superman-defeated-ku-klux-klan

The relevant quotes:

quote:

In the post-World War II era, the Klan experienced a huge resurgence. Its membership was skyrocketing, and its political influence was increasing, so Kennedy went undercover to infiltrate the group. By regularly attending meetings, he became privy to the organization's secrets. But when he took the information to local authorities, they had little interest in using it. The Klan had become so powerful and intimidating that police were hesitant to build a case against them.

Struggling to make use of his findings, Kennedy approached the writers of the Superman radio serial. It was perfect timing. With the war over and the Nazis no longer a threat, the producers were looking for a new villain for Superman to fight. The KKK was a great fit for the role.

As the storyline progressed, the shows exposed many of the KKK's most guarded secrets. By revealing everything from code words to rituals, the program completely stripped the Klan of its mystique. Within two weeks of the broadcast, KKK recruitment was down to zero. And by 1948, people were showing up to Klan rallies just to mock them.

Mista Blu
Jul 9, 2012
One of the things I always loved about the League of Extraordinary Gentlemen is that even Mr. Hyde,supposedly the personification of the evil of man has his humanizing moments...

For context:Mina (from Dracula) is one of the only people in the series who doesn't seem intimidated by Hyde,and that perplexes him. Hyde hears her outside his door one night,calls her in and the following conversation takes place.

And from later in the series...spoilerish so don't click if you haven't read it..

I'd post the next bit...but that's more badass then heartwarming except for Nemo's line.
We cannot be sure what feelings our enemies have...but we may be certain at least,that Hyde taught them terror."

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

From Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles #23. In the series, Casey Jones' father is a complete rear end in a top hat. He's constantly getting drunk and picking fights with his son and as tough as Casey is, he never lifts a finger to defend himself. It was shown that when Casey's mother was on her deathbed, she made Casey promise to have patience with him. The man is constantly shown as a piece of poo poo and even when Raphael almost kills him, he doesn't learn anything from the experience.

In the previous issue, Casey got gutted by Shredder. He's been hospitalized, in critical condition.

Yancy_Street
Nov 26, 2007

drunk octopus
wants to fight you

gfanikf posted:

I'm going to have to look into this Brotherhood week thing, it seems to come up a few times.

I'm not racist, but gently caress alligators, man. gently caress them so hard.

Scuba Trooper
Feb 25, 2006

I was hanging out in another thread and decided to cross post this

Seven Soldiers: Mister Miracle #4

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Man, if you add a "Girl," to the beginning of the first bubble it sounds the part of a 90's R&B song where they break it down and talk straight to the listener.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Man, if you add a "Girl," to the beginning of the first bubble it sounds the part of a 90's R&B song where they break it down and talk straight to the listener.

Great, now this belongs in the "ruining the moment" thread.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I just want to know what's going on with his face. That looks like he's wearing a metal mask but it still emotes, and his nose is huge and his mask apparently sticks to his lips, and just... :psyduck:

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Lurdiak posted:

I just want to know what's going on with his face. That looks like he's wearing a metal mask but it still emotes, and his nose is huge and his mask apparently sticks to his lips, and just... :psyduck:

Vacuum sealed superheroes. Keeps 'em tender.

Adventure Time!

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Drifter posted:

Vacuum sealed superheroes. Keeps 'em tender.

Adventure Time!

I think you may have the wrong thread.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Ariong posted:

I think you may have the wrong thread.
Just a joke about heroes who continually wear masks.
Besides...

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

OK Octopus posted:

I'm not racist, but gently caress alligators, man. gently caress them so hard.

I want to be a part of whatever minority group gets that racial slur. Just so I can call myself that.

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,

Mister Roboto posted:

I want to be a part of whatever minority group gets that racial slur. Just so I can call myself that.

Cajuns, maybe?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
It takes a mad genius to make a page which includes the line "may I touch your breast" heartwarming.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

It's a Bird is an amazing graphic novel