Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Starsnostars
Jan 17, 2009

The Master of Magnetism
Football science :science:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ayb
Sep 12, 2003
Kills Drifters for erections

Adulterous Hitler posted:

This blew me away, Syeds argument is utterly exemplary.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GmCtci6cen8

In short: gently caress Chelsea and gently caress Roman Abramovich.

It's hilarious how much smarter he is than anyone else talking.

Hashtag Nascar
Jan 4, 2012

The other people round the table's argument pretty much boils down to "the rich man surely isn't lying!".

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

Sounds like someone is well jelly.

Hoops
Aug 19, 2005

A Black Mark For Retarded Posting

Got a bit conspiracy theory in the middle there. Chelsea aren't anything to do with any political protection Abramovich has in Russia. He's selling it as "Abramovich bought Chelsea to stop himself going to prison", which is crazy town stuff and ignoring all the other poo poo he's got going on. Obviously though he is a criminal and has killed football, that is a fair point.

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost
haha this is more advanced discussion by one person in 7 minutes than in the entire history of Sky.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

Hoops posted:

Got a bit conspiracy theory in the middle there. Chelsea aren't anything to do with any political protection Abramovich has in Russia. He's selling it as "Abramovich bought Chelsea to stop himself going to prison", which is crazy town stuff and ignoring all the other poo poo he's got going on. Obviously though he is a criminal and has killed football, that is a fair point.

I read what you said before I watched the video and did a hrrrrm but now I've listened to it and I disagree with you. If you really think Abramovich wasn't looking at his mates/compatriots getting locked away and thinking "I should probably put myself in the public eye just a little bit" you're insane.

Also yeah the guy is surrounded by loving idiots and it's hilarious.

Ninpo
Aug 6, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Reminder this guy is on Murdoch's payroll.

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

Gotta love how the presenter's counter-argument (which was totally not given to them by those above) is basically "but he's won shiny things for the fans so we shouldn't care about his corruption and dodgy past".

Mean Bean Machine
May 9, 2008

Only when I breathe.

Ninpo posted:

Reminder this guy is on Murdoch's payroll.

Yeah, I was going to say, how can you be that self-righteous when you're getting paid to speak on TV by a criminal yourself, especially when your whole argument hinges on ethics and morals? Hypocrites, the lot of them.

Ninpo
Aug 6, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Mean Bean Machine posted:

Yeah, I was going to say, how can you be that self-righteous when you're getting paid to speak on TV by a criminal yourself, especially when your whole argument hinges on ethics and morals? Hypocrites, the lot of them.

Murdoch actually employs him. The Times is a Murdoch paper.

Mean Bean Machine
May 9, 2008

Only when I breathe.
Wasn't aware of that, that's even worse. It doesn't really hurt his argument (although I don't really care much for these debates about ethics in football since they're inevitably colored by people's club preferences) but jesus, get off your high horse you smug prick, good job in being more informed than an ex-footballer, they're all borderline retarded anyway.

Mean Bean Machine fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Jul 2, 2013

DEAD MAN'S SHOE
Nov 23, 2003

We will become evil and the stars will come alive
What is he smug about, Mean Bean Machine?

I am OK
Mar 9, 2009

LAWL
It's pretty impossible to have a job and not work for a scumbag these days, the employer doesn't detract from the message.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

This was cool to see Guidetti and Pellegrini talk, and know that rumor of him going ot Malaga was true.

Ninpo
Aug 6, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

I am OK posted:

It's pretty impossible to have a job and not work for a scumbag these days, the employer doesn't detract from the message.

Oh come on.

Being happy to work for the politically corrupt Murdoch, on one of his papers, while appearing on Sky Television for a fee, a company also owned by Murdoch, a man who contributed heavily to the state of football today, to talk about how politically corrupt Abramovich is and how he's ruining football, makes you a loving hypocrite.

Manc Hill
Jul 19, 2001

^^this is u ^^this is me
you can be a hypocrite and still be right.

TelekineticBear!
Feb 19, 2009

both ambramovich and murdoch are horrible men who have killed football

Mean Bean Machine
May 9, 2008

Only when I breathe.

DEAD MAN'S SHOE posted:

What is he smug about, Mean Bean Machine?

He's being smug and condescending about Chelsea fans liking Abramovich's effect on the club for "football reasons" and because they "can't see the big picture" of how Roman got his money, unlike his morally irreprehensible self who apparently abhors such practices even though he's employed by the same type of corrupt criminal himself OP.

Polidoro
Jan 5, 2011

Huevo se dice argidia. Argidia!
Uruguay U-20 beat Nigeria 2-1 today with two goals by Nicolás López. People call him the new Suárez:

Something went wrong at the cloning facility.

DEAD MAN'S SHOE
Nov 23, 2003

We will become evil and the stars will come alive

Mean Bean Machine posted:

He's being smug and condescending about Chelsea fans liking Abramovich's effect on the club for "football reasons" and because they "can't see the big picture" of how Roman got his money, unlike his morally irreprehensible self who apparently abhors such practices even though he's employed by the same type of corrupt criminal himself OP.

Fair enough, yeah, lol at his talk of 'the wider context' when that absolutely includes the owner of the station and paper he is on.

Everyone at Sky Sports well uncomfortable at actual political/economic analysis other than nationalism and megabucks.

DEAD MAN'S SHOE fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Jul 2, 2013

rats off to ya
Jul 22, 2008

Not his first, not his last

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack

Polidoro posted:

Uruguay U-20 beat Nigeria 2-1 today with two goals by Nicolás López. People call him the new Suárez:

Something went wrong at the cloning facility.

Do they have not have orthodontists down there?

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

Ninpo posted:

Oh come on.

Being happy to work for the politically corrupt Murdoch, on one of his papers, while appearing on Sky Television for a fee, a company also owned by Murdoch, a man who contributed heavily to the state of football today, to talk about how politically corrupt Abramovich is and how he's ruining football, makes you a loving hypocrite.

His argument was that one should be aware of the reasons why Abramovich/Abu Dhabi/Qatar buy football clubs, namely making it harder to be disappeared in the case of Roman, and tying yourself, for image reasons, to a cultural institution that people care deeply about in the case of the oilhavers. He mostly wanted to stress that buying clubs in this manner is not about investment opportunities or a love of the game. He would only be a hypocrite if he came up with noble reasons for Murdoch to do the poo poo he does. He even explicitly excludes the players from any blame. Like, if he'd added "I know what it feels like to work for corrupt criminals because I work for Murdoch", I think that would have had zero influence on his argument.

He should probably stop working for Murdoch though, yeah.

Insanely Sikh
Aug 26, 2009

Winner, SA's Sikh Of the Year, 2013

Lol

jyrka posted:

What does "man on" mean? I've never heard it.

Couple of guys I play with say "man up" instead, it's infuriating.

Soup and a Sandwich
Apr 8, 2008

skeng

Polidoro
Jan 5, 2011

Huevo se dice argidia. Argidia!

vaginal culture posted:

Do they have not have orthodontists down there?

We do, but when the British created our country they taught us all they knew about dental hygiene. Which was nothing.
Also, players come from very poor backgrounds most of the time and poor people have bigger problems than their teeth. Roma are already fixing his theeth,though.

ephex
Nov 4, 2007

PHWOAR CRIMINAL

Hallowed Turban posted:

Couple of guys I play with say "man up" instead, it's infuriating.

Sounds like you're a little crybaby.

Insanely Sikh
Aug 26, 2009

Winner, SA's Sikh Of the Year, 2013
Goo goo gah gah, ahahahahahahah.

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM

Smirr posted:

His argument was that one should be aware of the reasons why Abramovich/Abu Dhabi/Qatar buy football clubs, namely making it harder to be disappeared in the case of Roman, and tying yourself, for image reasons, to a cultural institution that people care deeply about in the case of the oilhavers. He mostly wanted to stress that buying clubs in this manner is not about investment opportunities or a love of the game. He would only be a hypocrite if he came up with noble reasons for Murdoch to do the poo poo he does. He even explicitly excludes the players from any blame. Like, if he'd added "I know what it feels like to work for corrupt criminals because I work for Murdoch", I think that would have had zero influence on his argument.

He should probably stop working for Murdoch though, yeah.

His main point was that the money is dirty, and he certainly has a point.

I don't think his point about why these people buy clubs makes any sense. Is Randy Lerner worried about getting snuffed out? What about Delia?

Also I look forward to Sky discussing the money stolen from Tampa taxpayers when the Glazers 10 year anniversary comes up.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

Hashtag Banterzone posted:

I don't think his point about why these people buy clubs makes any sense. Is Randy Lerner worried about getting snuffed out? What about Delia?

You can object to it but please don't be a loving moron about it. This is what these people are doing so everyone must be doing it and they arent so it's wrong? Wow. Nice. Nice moves.

City used to be very open about it being a PR project. This is not a conspiracy theory, it is fact.

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Spangly A posted:

You can object to it but please don't be a loving moron about it. This is what these people are doing so everyone must be doing it and they arent so it's wrong? Wow. Nice. Nice moves.

City used to be very open about it being a PR project. This is not a conspiracy theory, it is fact.

Yeah it's a PR project for Qatar and Abu Dhabi and a vanity project for Roman.

That "journalist" seems to think owning a football club is some sort of get out of jail free card

Hoops
Aug 19, 2005

A Black Mark For Retarded Posting
As far as I know Abramovich is firmly pro-Putin anyway and puts a lot of his money back into Russia. There's another group of oil barons that spoke out against the government after Yeltsin and they're the ones that are getting prosecuted or fleeing Russia, but most of them are literally Abramovich's bitter enemies and they've been suing each other back and forth for years. It is hard to pinpoint exactly why he bought the club though to be fair. I reckon Chelsea is just a billionaire's plaything, but then you look at a guy like Usmanov who is basically the Russian Murdoch, and he's clearly not in Arsenal as a vanity project. He's very cozy with Putin as well though.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

You guys are being unfairly harsh on the rest of the panel. They're clearly not experts on Abramovich's political situation--really, who is?-- and they acknowledge that. The question is whether, for all his shenanigans, Abramovich has been a good thing for football. I thought they made the reasonable point that no Chelsea supporter gives a rat's rear end about Abramovich's motivations. And the ex-player did a decent job of discussing a player's mindset playing under a dodgy owner.

They bring everything into perspective and asks of Syed: So what? If the fans don't care, if the players don't care, and if our league gets a better rep at the end of it, then what's the problem? It's capitalism. If you want to dig into the moral perspective of it, is it right that football owners buy clubs to turn a profit? Or for clubs to jack up ticket prices and deny the working class a part of their heritage?

I think it's a tacit agreement in modern football that moral policing is best left to the lawmakers. How deep a rabbit hole can you dig when you try to meddle with personal lives in the name of football? For what it's worth, I don't think you can pin Abramovich's purchase of Chelsea as a purely political thing. We all like to have fancy playthings.

Yeah it's a PR project for Qatar and Abu Dhabi and a vanity project for Roman.

That "journalist" seems to think owning a football club is some sort of get out of jail free card
He's saying owning a football club is a way of gaining visibility, and that visibility can translate into political advantages. Is that really so hard to comprehend? 7-minute video, not a loving Cambridge tome.

TelekineticBear!
Feb 19, 2009

Vegetable posted:

You guys are being unfairly harsh on the rest of the panel. They're clearly not experts on Abramovich's political situation--really, who is?-- and they acknowledge that. The question is whether, for all his shenanigans, Abramovich has been a good thing for football.

Nope he hasnt

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

Lukas Podolski is that guy on your Facebook feed that posts nothing but selfies.

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Vegetable posted:

He's saying owning a football club is a way of gaining visibility, and that visibility can translate into political advantages. Is that really so hard to comprehend? 7-minute video, not a loving Cambridge tome.

Roman doesn't want visibility, he wants privacy. He doesn't do interviews, blog or tweet. He doesn't appear at red carpet events nor does he hang out with celebs or royalty. That Roman bought Chelsea as a hedge against Putin betraying him ridiculous.

And the guy suggested that Qatar and Abu Dhabi bought football clubs in case things go down between Israel and Iran. He's a complete idiot.

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

Roman doesn't want visibility, he wants privacy. He doesn't do interviews, blog or tweet. He doesn't appear at red carpet events nor does he hang out with celebs or royalty. That Roman bought Chelsea as a hedge against Putin betraying him ridiculous.

And the guy suggested that Qatar and Abu Dhabi bought football clubs in case things go down between Israel and Iran. He's a complete idiot.

I think the point he was trying to make is that Roman probably was motivated to buy Chelsea at least in part by a desire to get massive amounts of assets out of Russia. An oligarch who's out of Putin's favor in Russia is in a precarious position w/r/t his assets at least. The problem is that he says it was only a political move, and that's obviously not right.

I do agree that buying clubs like PSG, City, and Chelsea were good PR for Qatar, Abu Dabi, and Roman respectively, and I would wager they all considered it in buying their clubs. Let's not forget that Abramovich is shady as gently caress, and it improves his image to be thought of as a guy who throws money at a football team in addition to being thought of as a shady Russian oligarch.

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747
The best thing is you could tell as soon as he started speaking he was going to be a condescending, smug gently caress because of his accent. The real damage to football is being done by clubs who accept money from Qatar and anyone on the Executive board at FIFA. Arsenal are owned by a guy who has a majority of his wealth from exploiting 3rd world manufacturing and refusing to help make it safer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

At the end of the day everyone involved in football is a oval office. The owners are cunts. The managers are cunts. The players are cunts. The tea lady is a raging oval office. The fans are cunts, and we're all a bunch of cunts arguing on the internet about who's a oval office.

• Locked thread