Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

jackpot posted:

Oh that's gorgeous. Do you work on these?

Yes I work at a wind farm..]

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
So after being inspired by this:

I decided to make this

N4 vs D600 vs Cactus by chazaraz, on Flickr

I have no idea why I thought that would work :cripes:

ZippySLC
Jun 3, 2002

~what is art, baby dont post, dont post, no more~

no seriously don't post
Here's my Instagram.

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~
I'm ninagram on Instagram. My account is locked to avoid spam, feel free to send a follow request though.

Just one thing, I'm not a photographer and I know nothing about photography. I try to take nice pictures of things that are interesting or cute, but I don't really know what I'm doing. I'm nowhere near as good as you guys.

I don't take pictures of food or my own feet though. At least that's something I guess.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

the kawaiiest posted:

I'm ninagram on Instagram. My account is locked to avoid spam, feel free to send a follow request though.

Just one thing, I'm not a photographer and I know nothing about photography. I try to take nice pictures of things that are interesting or cute, but I don't really know what I'm doing. I'm nowhere near as good as you guys.

I don't take pictures of food or my own feet though. At least that's something I guess.

You're in the right forum then.

Spectracide
May 27, 2004
IT'S ARGH, BABY!
Does anyone know of a good, free iOS app that can edit EXIF location data?
edit: Photo Mappr works well enough.

Spectracide fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Jun 23, 2013

Chedranian Girl
Sep 15, 2008

IS THAT A WEAPON?
Oooh, just found this thread. I love cell phone photography, because it captures snapshots of day to day life rather than only ever the 'big moments'. Someone earlier compared it to Polaroids, which is spot on, to me. I've been more interested in taking it a little more "seriously" with the arrival of Instagram video, because I want to make some cool mini vids, but hey.

Here's some of my Instagram shots I've taken over the past year or so since getting an Xperia S. I've stopped using borders now because I think it ruins the look of them as a whole.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Is this a place where we can post Vines/Instagram videos?

I don't know if you can embed, but here's one I made while sitting in traffic: http://instagram.com/p/a3x5horJ5h/

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

Thanks for the insight into your life.

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~

Mr. Despair posted:

You're in the right forum then.

Haha. I actually like this forum, and I like a lot of the work that I see here. I think I lack the talent to take good pictures but I still enjoy lurking here anyway.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Shadow & Ground by alkanphel, on Flickr

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

the kawaiiest posted:

Haha. I actually like this forum, and I like a lot of the work that I see here. I think I lack the talent to take good pictures but I still enjoy lurking here anyway.

No, I was trying to imply that noone here cares if you're a pro photog or anything. Take pics, that's all that matters yo.

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~

Mr. Despair posted:

No, I was trying to imply that noone here cares if you're a pro photog or anything. Take pics, that's all that matters yo.

Well, this forum is a little intimidating though. I don't have any good equipment, and I don't know what I'm doing. Everyone here has fancy cameras and takes awesome photos.

real nap shit
Feb 2, 2008

You already have a better attitude than a lot of people with Big Expensive Cameras and Adobe Suites and you probably know what you like about photos and you don't need really good equipment to take good ones either.

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~

slardel posted:

You already have a better attitude than a lot of people with Big Expensive Cameras and Adobe Suites and you probably know what you like about photos and you don't need really good equipment to take good ones either.

Yeah I've been told a lot that I don't need good equipment but all I have a cellphone, you know? I see all these beautiful shots taken with these fancy cameras and all I can think is, I can't take pictures like that. I don't have the talent for it and I don't have the fancy equipment either so I feel really out of place. Don't get me wrong, I love this forum -- it's very humbling and I learn a lot here, but I'm just not comfortable posting outside of this thread.

Anyway... I'm derailing so here's a dog picture from my Instagram

Mightaswell
Dec 4, 2003

Not now chief, I'm in the fuckin' zone.

Untitled by Winston85, on Flickr

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

the kawaiiest posted:

Yeah I've been told a lot that I don't need good equipment but all I have a cellphone, you know? I see all these beautiful shots taken with these fancy cameras and all I can think is, I can't take pictures like that. I don't have the talent for it and I don't have the fancy equipment either so I feel really out of place. Don't get me wrong, I love this forum -- it's very humbling and I learn a lot here, but I'm just not comfortable posting outside of this thread.

Anyway... I'm derailing so here's a dog picture from my Instagram

Bullshit

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

If I had to guess, I'd say about 1% of great pictures are taken by people with natural talent. The other 99% are taken by people who took an awful picture, figured out why it was awful, then tried to stop doing that thing (and repeating until dead).

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~

Poor choice of words, I guess. I meant I'm not skilled.

real nap shit
Feb 2, 2008

the kawaiiest posted:

all I can think is, I can't take pictures like that.

Yeah you can that's just your brain bein dumb.

I'm not being mean or calling you dumb I'm calling you smart but your brain is being dumb in this instance.

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~

slardel posted:

Yeah you can that's just your brain bein dumb.

I'm not being mean or calling you dumb I'm calling you smart but your brain is being dumb in this instance.

Okay. Uh. Thank you? :psyduck:

What can I do to take better pictures? I know a little composition because I've taken some art classes, but I'm not so great at it so I'm reading more about it. Other than that though, what else can I learn? Are there any sites that you can recommend?

real nap shit
Feb 2, 2008

What I'm saying is, you're telling yourself you can't before you even try. There are some pretty good book recommendations in this forum, but taking lots of pictures is going to make you way better than reading lots of books, and that's how you find out what you like to take pictures of and the kinds of things you're drawn to anyways, which is what will make your pictures interesting. Then you can apply technical things like composition and things you learned from books and your pics will own.

real nap shit fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Jul 2, 2013

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~

slardel posted:

What I'm saying is, you're telling yourself you can't before you even try. There are some pretty good book recommendations in this forum, but taking lots of pictures is going to make you way better than reading lots of books, and that's how you find out what you like to take pictures of and the kinds of things you're drawn to anyways, which is what will make your pictures interesting.

I have "understanding exposure" which seems to be the most recommended book around here. Is it any good for someone like me who doesn't have any equipment besides a cellphone?

And I do take lots of pictures, no worries there. I probably take too many.

real nap shit
Feb 2, 2008

the kawaiiest posted:

I probably take too many.

doubt it

Understanding exposure was good, if I'm remembering correctly it does have some things in it that could help you with photography in general but I think it's definitely primarily geared towards learning how to juggle iso/aperture/shutter-speed - in any case it wouldn't hurt to read it so if you have the time you might as well.

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~

slardel posted:

doubt it

Understanding exposure was good, if I'm remembering correctly it does have some things in it that could help you with photography in general but I think it's definitely primarily geared towards learning how to juggle iso/aperture/shutter-speed - in any case it wouldn't hurt to read it so if you have the time you might as well.

Yeah a lot of it is about stuff that I don't have access to, but I'll give it a look anyway. Thanks.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Get snapseed or one of the other million editors in the App Store for your phone.

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~

Ropes4u posted:

Get snapseed or one of the other million editors in the App Store for your phone.

Oh I already have it, I edit most of my photos with PicsPlay Pro though. I miss vscocam, I hope they hurry up with the Android version.

It's just that I feel like there's only so much you can do for a bad photo, filters etc can help but not fix a bad shot.

Percy Teatwillow
Jan 9, 2006

let us go out this evening for pleasure, for the night is still young
I tend to use Adobe Lightroom to edit my pictures, but when I'm on the go I like to use Camera+ for iOS. I think it's .99¢, but dat Clarity filter. Give it a try.

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~

Percy Teatwillow posted:

I tend to use Adobe Lightroom to edit my pictures, but when I'm on the go I like to use Camera+ for iOS. I think it's .99¢, but dat Clarity filter. Give it a try.

I don't have iOS, I have a Galaxy S4. I did use Camera+ when I had an iPhone though and yeah it's amazing, though my favorite was always vscocam. I'm really happy it's coming out for Android. Wish the Afterlight devs would release an Android version too.

Spectracide
May 27, 2004
IT'S ARGH, BABY!
Around Philadelphia:

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Clouds & Lamp Post by alkanphel, on Flickr

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Good people don't rip other people's arms off.
e:this was bad

Geektox fucked around with this message at 06:27 on May 22, 2014

Clown
Mar 4, 2004
Rent this space!
I like taking pictures with my mobile phone :)

My instagram is a mix of DSLR pictures and phone photos though. Sorry.

instagram.com/andrewdashb

real nap shit
Feb 2, 2008

vscocam X grandma's house

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Welp I got lost for hours in the dark while hiking today, but I still managed to make this AND not get eaten by bears!

Mt. Baldy Summit by chazaraz, on Flickr

trip9
Feb 15, 2011

Anybody here have VSCO grids yet?

http://audie.vsco.co/

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Gloves and Flowers by alkanphel, on Flickr

Mightaswell
Dec 4, 2003

Not now chief, I'm in the fuckin' zone.

trip9 posted:

Anybody here have VSCO grids yet?

http://audie.vsco.co/

Hell yeah

https://winston.vsco.co

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

First cousin to the Black Rabbit himself. Such was Woundwort's monument...and perhaps it would not have displeased him.<

Clown posted:

I like taking pictures with my mobile phone :)

I've never seen cows with such menace before. There's a lot of hate in their eyes.