Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?
It's a fair point when talking about Bayonetta, Dragon's Crown, Catherine, etc, though - all games that hit various folks' over-sexualized buttons.

As much as the visual styles of the above listed bothered me, I also can't shake the feeling that it's because I'm American, and was raised Protestant, and for some reason am horrified by boobies in video games yet not horrified at heads exploding. All of the above use sex / sexual characteristics for clear stylistic or narrative reasons.

- Dragon's Crown over-emphasizes the gender of EVERY one of its characters, and it does it because the characters are comparitively tiny during gameplay. It gives the small sprites more character than you'd otherwise be able to read at that scale, given the art style.

- Bayonetta uses sex as a means of empowering the main character. She's a femme fatalle librarian that summons bondage boots out of thin air, to do battle with avatars of chastity, conformity and moral fortitude. It's honestly pretty drat awesome, thematically.

- Catherine's overarching themes are bound up entirely in sex, relationships, and gender-reated differences. If the game wasn't over-sexualized, it flat out wouldn't work.

Shalinor fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Jul 3, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

mutata posted:

Eh, I think that's a different topic entirely. What I said above has nothing to do with "omg think of the children censorship" or nudity or anything.

There's been a lot of judging of foreign games based on American cultural norms and ideals in the past few pages. Most of the negative examples I saw were from Asian developers, while the positive examples were from American and European developers.

For better or worse, the developer communities are largely segregated. It's not clear how a bunch of westerners whining about Asian games is going to help the issue. If anything, the games will still be made and we just wont get them. To me, that's much worse than gratuitous boobs.

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!

mutata posted:

Eh, I think that's a different topic entirely. What I said above has nothing to do with "omg think of the children censorship" or nudity or anything.
I don't think it was a good comparison, but I think it's best to be cautious when reading into things that are being deliberately over-the-top because it always runs a high risk of completely missing the point.

Horrible Smutbeast
Sep 2, 2011

leper khan posted:

I know there's plenty of room for the entire industry to grow up, but why does it seem like whenever these topics come up it's a bunch of westerners projecting their ideals on products from eastern developers?

There are tonnes of complaints about western female characters, don't kid yourself. The only issue I would ever point out that's exclusively eastern is the whole "looks like a 12 year old girl in underwear but she's really a 10,000 year old dragon who wants to bang your character!" cliche because it creeps me out on a whole different level.

The huge tits, perma-twerk and weird sex attitudes shows up in the western games just as often, like the Witcher's whole deal with collectable sex cards and sex scenes. Or Bioware's weird obsession with alien/fantasy dating sims full of women fitting anime cliches. Or female character's armour in mmo's being way more revealing and sometimes disturbing than their male counterparts. It's just Dragon's Crown is a very easy topic to point at since it's such a blatant example of some of these things.

Shalinor posted:

- Bayonetta uses sex as a means of empowering the main character. She's a femme fatalle librarian that summons bondage boots out of thin air, to do battle with avatars of chastity, conformity and moral fortitude. It's honestly pretty drat awesome, thematically.

Bayonetta is an actual well rounded character who knows she's sexy and is playing off it, but isn't doing it for the audience's sake. I think she would have been forgotten and ignored had they made her simply to be fanservice without any of the self awareness or sass.

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

"I'm the boss of space. That's plenty."
Boy Howdy, announcing the changes to Broken Age right after your other kickstarter gets successfully funded sure looks actively unethical.

It's really not great for the whole 'kickstarter' scene in general, really. Banner Saga released a weird, skinned down version of itself before the main event, Broken Age looks like it's going to be releasing half of its game before getting the whole thing out much later down the line which is a little bit concerning. Also, asking for 300k and then, when you get 3.3 million being unable to finish more than 'the first half' of your game is rather concerning. Either your initial goal was way, way undersold or your scope management is terrible and you should probably take a second look at why publishers are such bastards about milestones and deadlines (read: if you give people a lot of money and then take away the publisher, things tend to get a little wiggy with feature creep and project bloat. I'm not saying that having a publisher means your game always stays on scope, on time and on target but I get the feeling that if there was an outside body with its hands on the reins and the purse strings, Broken Age would be more on time, on scope and on budget than it apparently is at the moment.)

Perhaps the most disappointing thing about Double Fine splitting the game in half is that they've proved publishers half-right. Double Fine were right about there still being a hunger for 'weird' genres like adventure games (although, arguably, Taletale had already proved this pretty conclusively) but they were way off mark about there being a market for them at the scale they want to work at.

If an enormous turnout that gives you 11 times your initial goals doesn't fund your project (in fact, it only funds half of it so, lets say the final price tag is 5-6 million), maybe there's not a sustainable market for product like this?

Sion fucked around with this message at 11:41 on Jul 3, 2013

Monster w21 Faces
May 11, 2006

"What the fuck is that?"
"What the fuck is this?!"
I'm going to be the one to say it.

I'm gonna say it.

Here it comes.

The actual game aspect of games is where Double Fine are their weakest.

They do not make good games.

They make fantastically fun & engaging settings, stories and characters but their gameplay has always been lackluster.

GeeCee
Dec 16, 2004

:scotland::glomp:

"You're going to be...amazing."
Bringing this back to actual Jobs rather than devs shooting the poo poo, I just found this and thought I'd forward it on to the goony UK coder types around here, like SnafuAl who should totes apply for these guys.

http://www.neonplay.com/we-are-hiring-for-programmers-server-android.html

SnafuAl
Oct 20, 2010

VR! VR! VR!
BLOODY VR!

Aliginge posted:

Bringing this back to actual Jobs rather than devs shooting the poo poo, I just found this and thought I'd forward it on to the goony UK coder types around here, like SnafuAl who should totes apply for these guys.

http://www.neonplay.com/we-are-hiring-for-programmers-server-android.html

Cheers for the heads up.

I think I actually interviewed with them before, but may as well apply again.

EgonSpengler
Jun 7, 2000
Forum Veteran
I'm hiring!

Looking for a level designer to work on this game: https://www.mercelite.com/beta

The job posting is here: http://bigpoint.net/career/associate-senior-level-designer-mf/

Position is located in Hamburg, Germany.

Monster w21 Faces
May 11, 2006

"What the fuck is that?"
Cool, I think my good friend Ayesha is working on that atm.

devilmouse
Mar 26, 2004

It's just like real life.

Monster w21 Faces posted:

Cool, I think my good friend Ayesha is working on that atm.

KHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAN

(industry too small'd.)

Monster w21 Faces
May 11, 2006

"What the fuck is that?"

devilmouse posted:

KHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAN

(industry too small'd.)

Don't say her name. It breaks my heart.

EgonSpengler
Jun 7, 2000
Forum Veteran
She does work with us, as well as other projects.

devilmouse
Mar 26, 2004

Ah, jeez. I just noticed Jeremiah is there too! BigPoint is overtaking my social networks!

DancingMachine
Aug 12, 2004

He's a dancing machine!
The top tier of Kickstarter has been full of 5 million dollar games asking for hundreds of thousands or just a million dollars. Obsidian's project eternity was another one that struck me as a bit unrealistic. The strategy seems to be to intentionally ask for less than you need and hope that you triple or quadruple your ask.
If you're making a game that's going to take a professional team of any substantial size and more than a year to make, it's probably going to cost a few million dollars.

That said, I still love that Kickstarter allows some of these projects to get off the ground and prove interest, even if it doesn't really provide 100% of the funding necessary to complete them.

devilmouse
Mar 26, 2004

Is it common for QA to be called "Game Analysts"? I'm trying to find an actual analyst (you know, someone who likes to ask interesting questions of volumes of data) on LinkedIn and keep running into all these people whose info reads like they're in QA.

P.S. We're looking to hire an analyst (or product manager who doesn't mind getting their hands dirty from time to time). If you are one or know of any, send them my way!

superh
Oct 10, 2007

Touching every treasure
In my job we don't usually have to deal with traditional QA teams, but we did just get this "observe" gem:

"5. Observe that background music is audible for fractions of second."

I think the proper response is "Unable to reproduce, could not see the audio."

Dinurth
Aug 6, 2004

?

devilmouse posted:

Is it common for QA to be called "Game Analysts"? I'm trying to find an actual analyst (you know, someone who likes to ask interesting questions of volumes of data) on LinkedIn and keep running into all these people whose info reads like they're in QA.

P.S. We're looking to hire an analyst (or product manager who doesn't mind getting their hands dirty from time to time). If you are one or know of any, send them my way!

I'd say it's fairly common(at least in my experience).

Do you have a job description of what you are looking for specifically? I personally love trolling through telemetry data and asking all sorts of questions and organizing it in interesting and sometimes weird ways in excel. I know a few people who share this passion with me.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

devilmouse posted:

I do QA stuff for my company's mobile apps (a movie channel/streaming service) so I would assume possibly? They call the job I've been doing a "Tech Analyst" which isn't that great since I'm not trained in coding or anything of the sort.

devilmouse
Mar 26, 2004

Dinurth posted:

Do you have a job description of what you are looking for specifically? I personally love trolling through telemetry data and asking all sorts of questions and organizing it in interesting and sometimes weird ways in excel. I know a few people who share this passion with me.

Not really, no. This is the first position that we're having to go outside of our personal networks to fill and, as such, we've never had to actually write up a description.

Off-the-cuff though, we're a small team doing tablet/mobile F2P stuff. There are two of us right now who are "product" focused doing all of the design, product, metrics, etc work and we're still spending most of our time doing engineering.

We're looking for a 3rd product person! One who can be responsible for a lot of the analytics work, who can focus on things like experimentation, pricing, growth, and so on. Since we're a startup, we're all wearing multiple hats daily so ideally, the person has some coding chops, isn't afraid of (No)SQL (or other databases) or R/Tableau/etc, and would happily own our metrics end to end (so I'm not stuck implementing keen.io calls, writing dashboards and reports).

I'd be happy to talk more about it (and actually come up with a Real Job Description), but we're pretty fluid as to requirements and such. If someone was really keen on doing growth, acquisition, optimization, etc, we'd work with that. If someone was a really hardcore technical analyst, we'd work with that. We've basically got 2 positions to fill with 3 people's worth of jobs... Yay startups!

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005
My buddy Jordan does all of that, and his title is "Player Experience Researcher" but I don't believe that's a common nomenclature.

Horrible Smutbeast
Sep 2, 2011
On the topic of game jobs, as much as I love indie game studios they really make finding an art job a lot harder. There are quite a few in my area that even failed or have closed but they haven't taken down their site. On top of that, a lot of them are just 3-10 people who don't want any new employees. It's so annoying when they only have contact forms instead of an email address too arrrrgh.

Frown Town
Sep 10, 2009

does not even lift
SWAG SWAG SWAG YOLO

Horrible Smutbeast posted:

On the topic of game jobs, as much as I love indie game studios they really make finding an art job a lot harder. There are quite a few in my area that even failed or have closed but they haven't taken down their site. On top of that, a lot of them are just 3-10 people who don't want any new employees. It's so annoying when they only have contact forms instead of an email address too arrrrgh.

Finding any art job can be difficult- especially if it's your first one; I don't think indie studios are particularly challenging, unless you're trying to go out of state. The chance that the art director looks at your portfolio, versus getting filtered through a general HR/Recruiting person first, when applying to a smaller studio is going to be a lot higher. The downside is that, because there often isn't a department exclusively dedicated to hiring talent, applying as an outsider can be un-obvious and word-of-mouth-y. Applying to AAA/console/huge studios is equally frustrating as your stuff's likely to get lost among hundreds of other applicants; at least having someone there to vouch for you as a human being can give you an enormous leg up.

Do you have any connections to those local studios? Honestly, every single one of my jobs in this field have been because someone at the company recommended me; I have never successfully cold-called a place. I guess this is the one upside to being laid off so many times - connections from former jobs end up landing in interesting places.

Horrible Smutbeast
Sep 2, 2011

Frown Town posted:

Finding any art job can be difficult- especially if it's your first one; I don't think indie studios are particularly challenging, unless you're trying to go out of state. The chance that the art director looks at your portfolio, versus getting filtered through a general HR/Recruiting person first, when applying to a smaller studio is going to be a lot higher. The downside is that, because there often isn't a department exclusively dedicated to hiring talent, applying as an outsider can be un-obvious and word-of-mouth-y. Applying to AAA/console/huge studios is equally frustrating as your stuff's likely to get lost among hundreds of other applicants; at least having someone there to vouch for you as a human being can give you an enormous leg up.

Do you have any connections to those local studios? Honestly, every single one of my jobs in this field have been because someone at the company recommended me; I have never successfully cold-called a place. I guess this is the one upside to being laid off so many times - connections from former jobs end up landing in interesting places.

A lot of my connections are out of country unfortunately. If I moved to Britain or even Australia I have several people in some pretty big companies that could vouch for me but here in Ontario I don't have much to go on. I also prefer to do 2d work with limited animation and a tonne of my contacts are all in animation studio jobs. I'm in that awkward transitioning stage going from freelance in to studio work too, so that probably doesn't help much. The few companies I've contacted I've called and asked for the art director's email so I hopefully have a direct link to them instead of just being a random nobody.

I've been doing trading card game art for a while as a freelancer but it's just a pain in the rear end if you don't get enough every month, or the client is super bitchy and the company can't pay you until you change the breast size of the character for them hahaha.

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

Yeah, I can second that. Every job I've had, it was in part because I knew somebody inside that could vouch for me.

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Formerly Diplomaticus/SWATJester

devilmouse posted:

The title you're looking for is Business Analyst.

If I'm understanding correctly what you're looking for. For example, this posting for Manager, Business Analytics at a bank had these requirements. If they look similar (just not game flavored), then that's what you're looking for.

quote:

The main responsibility of Manager Business Analytics is to provide high‐quality methodological design, data collection, and statistical analysis of USD 42 billion residential loan servicing portfolio.
Responsibilities will include

Take initiative in completing tasks and projects within the team independently.
Leverage data mining tools to analyze customer data and generate insights for strategy improvement.
Be the expert on data and responsible for data quality
Preparation of regular reporting of business performance, issue reports and model monitoring.
Document processes and results in accordance with internal and external standards.
Key Result Areas:

On-time execution of analytical requests supporting implementation of business strategies.
Integrate reporting and analytics across the organization.
Manage loan inventories to improve customer experience and reduce operating cost.
Establish model monitoring reports and recommendations for improvement.
Development of statistical and financial models for assessing probability of pre-payments, defaults, charge-off risk, portfolio pricing, loan resolution, portfolio optimization.
Qualifications:

Bachelor of Science in Statistics, Mathematics, Engineering or equivalent
More than 4 years experience or 2 years experience with a Master’s degree
Solid analytical and problem solving skills.
Proficient in SQL and SAS with hands on experience in statistical tools and techniques
Good communication skills, able to present complex findings to business managers in a clear, concise manner
Must be a team player, self motivated with a strong work ethic
Experience in call center operations analytics (preferred)
Experience in quantitative modeling (preferred)
Knowledge of the US Mortgage Industry (preferred)

Basically they play with your data and develop obscene SQL queries to find out interesting things that make you better.

Leif. fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Jul 3, 2013

devilmouse
Mar 26, 2004

Diplomaticus posted:

The title you're looking for is Business Analyst.

Paydirt! Thanks... Weirdly, all my consultant, ibanking, and hedge fund friends all just called them Analysts, so I'd been barking up the wrong tree.

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Formerly Diplomaticus/SWATJester
Yay, glad that's what you're looking for.

A Sloth
Aug 4, 2010
EVERY TIME I POST I AM REQUIRED TO DISCLOSE THAT I AM A SHITHEAD.

ASK ME MY EXPERT OPINION ON GENDER BASED INSULTS & "ENGLISH ETHNIC GROUPS".

:banme:

Sion posted:

If an enormous turnout that gives you 11 times your initial goals doesn't fund your project (in fact, it only funds half of it so, lets say the final price tag is 5-6 million), maybe there's not a sustainable market for product like this?

Sounds kind of like when a person wins the lottery and irresponsibly squanders it not expecting to run out.

milquetoast child
Jun 27, 2003

literally
Yeah, what would have happened if they only made 100% of their target? Would we be in the same situation?

I'm a backer of this one btw.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

Monster w21 Faces posted:

I'm going to be the one to say it.

I'm gonna say it.

Here it comes.

The actual game aspect of games is where Double Fine are their weakest.

They do not make good games.

They make fantastically fun & engaging settings, stories and characters but their gameplay has always been lackluster.

Tim Schafer isn't very well known for gameplay. I love psychonauts but there are some mechanics of that game that isnt' fun.

I'm look at you Meat Circus.

That and his hybrid it acts like an RTS but isn't one and is open world Brutal Legend was a bit all over the place.

Thank god he really knows how to write though.

I really think Tim is the only one to getaway with it because his stories are actually good.

Still want Psychonauts 2.

:(

Shindragon fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Jul 3, 2013

A Sloth
Aug 4, 2010
EVERY TIME I POST I AM REQUIRED TO DISCLOSE THAT I AM A SHITHEAD.

ASK ME MY EXPERT OPINION ON GENDER BASED INSULTS & "ENGLISH ETHNIC GROUPS".

:banme:

dunkman posted:

Yeah, what would have happened if they only made 100% of their target? Would we be in the same situation?

I'm a backer of this one btw.

I am as well, completely forget about it until I see a post about it on SA. :v:

mastermind2004
Sep 14, 2007

That sort of thing is exactly why I'm so leery about video game kickstarters, I see the amount they're asking for and alarm bells start going off because it's an insanely low budget to do anything with. I've backed a handful of kickstarters, and they've all been physical item kickstarters, and most of them by people who already have businesses doing what they're kickstarting, so I trust them to be able to deliver.

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?

mastermind2004 posted:

That sort of thing is exactly why I'm so leery about video game kickstarters, I see the amount they're asking for and alarm bells start going off because it's an insanely low budget to do anything with. I've backed a handful of kickstarters, and they've all been physical item kickstarters, and most of them by people who already have businesses doing what they're kickstarting, so I trust them to be able to deliver.
Eh, it's not as awful as you might think. There's a very real cost difference between studios based on their size, even if the games being made are effectively identical. The bigger studio will push out the more polished game, with more carefully designed aesthetics and gameplay flow, of course, but. In terms of absolute game? Strikingly similar, even though the costs are an order of magnitude off.

Shalinor fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Jul 4, 2013

Vinterstum
Jul 30, 2003

Sion posted:

I can absolutely guarantee you that the pre-Kickstarter plans for the project will bear only a superficial resemblance to the post-Kickstarter plans for the project.

EgonSpengler
Jun 7, 2000
Forum Veteran
Burn rates are easy to predict, but the speed of successful development is not that easy, even for experienced teams. The only thing different about Double Fine's Kickstarter project is the majority of backers are new to video game investment.

Spanrah
May 6, 2006
These are small, Those are far away

Sigma-X posted:

My buddy Jordan does all of that, and his title is "Player Experience Researcher" but I don't believe that's a common nomenclature.

Player Experience Researcher can cover telemetry related stuff, as Jordan's role does, but also includes people who moderate usability research sessions with players. I think "Research Analyst" is our internal term for people who look exclusively at data, pricing and market trends.

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

superh posted:

In my job we don't usually have to deal with traditional QA teams, but we did just get this "observe" gem:

"5. Observe that background music is audible for fractions of second."

I think the proper response is "Unable to reproduce, could not see the audio."

Well, "observe" can also just mean "notice" :eng101:

concerned mom
Apr 22, 2003

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer
Any 3d (mostly) environment artists in the midlands uk area we're hiring, let me know if you're interested.

http://www.full-fat.com/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

devilmouse
Mar 26, 2004

Maybe grats Frown Town on Hasbro buying 70% of Backflip?

I hope you've got some sweet sweet stock action over there!