Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chessna
Dec 24, 2008
Thanks for the advice! So transferring it to a Vanguard Target Retirement Fund won't cause me to pay any early withdrawal/transfer fees? I have no intentions of taking out and using the money (I'm already 29 so I'd like to have a retirement fund at least started), and once I have the credit cards paid off I'll focus on the emergency savings but right now my goal is just to finish school with as little debt as possible.

I'm fine with something a little higher risk, since I feel like it's just kind of sitting there right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

|Ziggy|
Oct 2, 2004

Chessna posted:

Thanks for the advice! So transferring it to a Vanguard Target Retirement Fund won't cause me to pay any early withdrawal/transfer fees? I have no intentions of taking out and using the money (I'm already 29 so I'd like to have a retirement fund at least started), and once I have the credit cards paid off I'll focus on the emergency savings but right now my goal is just to finish school with as little debt as possible.

I'm fine with something a little higher risk, since I feel like it's just kind of sitting there right now.

Just make sure they make the transfer and you aren't pulling it out yourself then reinvesting in the new fund. I've met people that did this and it sucks for them.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

|Ziggy| posted:

Just make sure they make the transfer and you aren't pulling it out yourself then reinvesting in the new fund. I've met people that did this and it sucks for them.

When I've done this before, they wrote the check to "my new IRA servicer For the Benefit Of [my name here]". Yes, it would super suck to get burned on that come tax time.

SlightlyMadman
Jan 14, 2005

Yeah, I just opened a "Rollover IRA" with Vanguard and I just filled out the paperwork with Vanguard's address and they cut the check right to them. I never even had to touch it.

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004
I'm currently applying for a job that has an "Hourly Off-Scale" wage for the position. Google was not able to help me, what does off scale mean?

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Busy Bee posted:

I'm currently applying for a job that has an "Hourly Off-Scale" wage for the position. Google was not able to help me, what does off scale mean?

"Scale" probably means the union wage scale. So my totally probably not correct guess is that means it isn't a union job at a place where some people have union jobs.

Chessna
Dec 24, 2008

|Ziggy| posted:

Awesome, thanks. This is the kind of stuff I would probably overlook.

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
What do you typically look for when choosing a credit union?

I've been deciding based on the fee schedule pretty much entirely, wondering how beneficial that is?

Basically I can choose between western FCU or Pentagon FCU, and I'm leaning towards western because they impose less fees. Anyone got a compelling reason I should go with Pentagon?

SlightlyMadman
Jan 14, 2005

What sort of fees are you looking at? One of the main reasons I switched over to my credit union is that they've never once charged me a fee for anything (except my mortgage refinance, of course). Of course, interest rates are going to be one area they vary wildly from each other. Min has extremely low interest rates on loans, and decent CD rates, but the savings account interest rates are abysmal.

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

SlightlyMadman posted:

What sort of fees are you looking at? One of the main reasons I switched over to my credit union is that they've never once charged me a fee for anything (except my mortgage refinance, of course). Of course, interest rates are going to be one area they vary wildly from each other. Min has extremely low interest rates on loans, and decent CD rates, but the savings account interest rates are abysmal.

Just overall. Big ones being transfer fees though.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
Yeah the main reason we switched was because of the potential incentives of belonging to a credit union. For example ours has lower interest rates for loans and refinancing other loans, no checking fees and a higher savings rate than any of the major banks.

We only keep our emergency fund in that account though because my wife works at BB&T so it's easier to handle the general checking/billing through them.

Sephiroth_IRA fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Jun 26, 2013

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer
I'm in the boat of looking for a better rate for savings/money market account.

Currently I have Bank of America, and between my wife and I we have $7000ish in savings (shooting to get it up to am even 10 by end of the year). BoA said their savings would only fo 0.04%. I'm pretty certain I can do better. I live in Philly, just curious if anyone here has had luck with a specific bank or credit union (ill be looking at both of course).

I already have 401K and Roth accounts setup, this just making the most of our emergency fund.

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007
I am a giant assfuck who needs to harden the fuck up.

Duckman2008 posted:

I'm in the boat of looking for a better rate for savings/money market account.

Currently I have Bank of America, and between my wife and I we have $7000ish in savings (shooting to get it up to am even 10 by end of the year). BoA said their savings would only fo 0.04%. I'm pretty certain I can do better. I live in Philly, just curious if anyone here has had luck with a specific bank or credit union (ill be looking at both of course).

I already have 401K and Roth accounts setup, this just making the most of our emergency fund.

Any reason you wouldn't consider an online bank? I use ally (for all of my banking, actually), and it seems pretty decent. No one has good interest rates right now, but they're in the high .X%, rather than the low .0X% range.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
You're earning 2.80 a year in interest.. Even if you triple your interest, is it worth an extra 5 bucks?

I'd just sit on it and see where rates go in the next six months. If they change significantly then move it.

SlightlyMadman
Jan 14, 2005

Haven't Bank of America's interest rates always been poo poo though? I seem to remember my savings account only getting something like 0.2% when a lot of places were offering 5% accounts years ago.

|Ziggy|
Oct 2, 2004
If you can wait a few days between deposits/withdrawals online banks are ~1%.

Harry
Jun 13, 2003

I do solemnly swear that in the year 2015 I will theorycraft my wallet as well as my WoW

PRADA SLUT posted:

You're earning 2.80 a year in interest.. Even if you triple your interest, is it worth an extra 5 bucks?

I'd just sit on it and see where rates go in the next six months. If they change significantly then move it.

We're talking like 5 minutes of effort to get an additional $60 a year at basically no risk.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

SlightlyMadman posted:

Haven't Bank of America's interest rates always been poo poo though? I seem to remember my savings account only getting something like 0.2% when a lot of places were offering 5% accounts years ago.

Even when rates were 5-7% on online savings accounts, rates pretty much everywhere you could walk into and open an account were next to nothing. You're "paying for" tellers and the ability to walk out with cash today.

SlightlyMadman
Jan 14, 2005

eddiewalker posted:

Even when rates were 5-7% on online savings accounts, rates pretty much everywhere you could walk into and open an account were next to nothing. You're "paying for" tellers and the ability to walk out with cash today.

Right, I didn't mean to say BoA was unusual in that regard, just that "leave your money in a crappy savings account and wait for interest rates to go back up" is probably not good advice.

Pekinduck
May 10, 2008
I recently found out I have money with the Massachusetts abandoned property department. Its from old stocks and I have the original certificates which they want me to send them and they'll send me the money. Are there any pitfalls I need to avoid or is this a pretty foolproof process?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

SlightlyMadman posted:

Right, I didn't mean to say BoA was unusual in that regard, just that "leave your money in a crappy savings account and wait for interest rates to go back up" is probably not good advice.

I don't mind online banks, although I will say I do like that anywhere I go I have quick access to my money currently. I would likely leave a little in checking and savings with BoA to retain that, and put the rest in whatever savings.

The perspective is a good one though, $50 a year is better than $5 a year, but I can take my time to find the right combo.

Fancy_Lad
May 15, 2003
Would you like to buy a monkey?

Duckman2008 posted:

I don't mind online banks, although I will say I do like that anywhere I go I have quick access to my money currently. I would likely leave a little in checking and savings with BoA to retain that, and put the rest in whatever savings.

The perspective is a good one though, $50 a year is better than $5 a year, but I can take my time to find the right combo.

This is how I do it. Note that if you have some flavor of "free" checking with your physical bank, they often tie a minimum direct deposit amount to that account or else they charge fees. For instance, the Chase accounts I use require a minimum $500/month deposit for it to remain free.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Most places let you keep a balance of like $1000-$1500 in a checking account to keep it free as well, even with no direct deposit. You could just stick the minimum in the account.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
I've got a Discover card, and it looks like they're doing checking accounts as well now. They'll give 10 cents cashback for debit transactions and checks written. I write exactly one check a month, and that's for rent. Anybody have experience with Discover for a checking account?

I'm currently with Wells Fargo, and I'd have to keep an account open there because I have a loan with them and I got a lower interest rate for having it deducted from my checking account.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
UK finance questions, hopefully the principles are similar enough for this US-centric thread: My job doesn't pay enough and I've spent a lot of time unemployed. Since I got employed again I've arranged to pay to pay £180 a month into my credit account. My debts look as follows:

£3500 on a credit card, paying £180 a month, 25.9%
£1200 overdrawn on a current account with the same bank
Current account I actually use and have my wages paid into, just keep it out of overdraft each month
£500 on a credit card I occasionally use, I pay £50 in each month which is well over the minimum, I don't see it as a problem.

I arrange to freeze charges and interest on the top two whilst I was unemployed, but I'm now concerned that with the interest coming on again things will not actually get any better and it will remain a huge drain on my resources.

Whilst I was looking to a balance transfer to a new credit card with a 0% no-payment period I saw an offer on a bank website for personal loans. £6000 paid back over 36 months would be about £185 a month on that particular one, so the same going out each month as for my credit card now. It works to paying back just under £6700, which appears to compare well to what I'm doing now, but I need to factor in interest will shrink as I pay things off. Is there a better, more thorough way to work out the comparison? I must admit, I idea of being able to set a date to be "debt free" is appealing. Of course I need to be accepted for the loan, no idea if that can happen, so I'm keen to hear other suggestions on how to proceed.

I may also be taking a one-year Master's degree course from September, if that is relevant to any advice you might give.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Fancy_Lad posted:

This is how I do it. Note that if you have some flavor of "free" checking with your physical bank, they often tie a minimum direct deposit amount to that account or else they charge fees. For instance, the Chase accounts I use require a minimum $500/month deposit for it to remain free.

For online banks, which ones do people recommend? IE chase and the rest.

Mandals
Aug 31, 2004

Isn't it pretty to think so.

Duckman2008 posted:

They're all more or less the same, but I've been using ING Direct or Capital 360 or whatever it's called now for a few years and it's been fine.

Disco Salmon
Jun 19, 2004

Duckman2008 posted:

Mandals posted:

They're all more or less the same, but I've been using ING Direct or Capital 360 or whatever it's called now for a few years and it's been fine.

We have been happy with Ally. No issues so far, and its been a good few months.

Evil SpongeBob
Dec 1, 2005

Not the other one, couldn't stand the other one. Nope nope nope. Here, enjoy this bird.

SlightlyMadman posted:

Yeah, I just opened a "Rollover IRA" with Vanguard and I just filled out the paperwork with Vanguard's address and they cut the check right to them. I never even had to touch it.

Welcome to the Vanguard club. If they had bumper stickers, they'd be the first/only thing on my '96 explorer.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
Would still like some feedback on this, but just to update I've spoken to the Financial Support department at the back and will now pay £90 a month to the credit card, £70 to the current account, and after 3 months my arrears should be credited back to the credit account under this arrangement. Still considering the loan if I can get it.

BizarroAzrael posted:

UK finance questions, hopefully the principles are similar enough for this US-centric thread: My job doesn't pay enough and I've spent a lot of time unemployed. Since I got employed again I've arranged to pay to pay £180 a month into my credit account. My debts look as follows:

£3500 on a credit card, paying £180 a month, 25.9%
£1200 overdrawn on a current account with the same bank
Current account I actually use and have my wages paid into, just keep it out of overdraft each month
£500 on a credit card I occasionally use, I pay £50 in each month which is well over the minimum, I don't see it as a problem.

I arrange to freeze charges and interest on the top two whilst I was unemployed, but I'm now concerned that with the interest coming on again things will not actually get any better and it will remain a huge drain on my resources.

Whilst I was looking to a balance transfer to a new credit card with a 0% no-payment period I saw an offer on a bank website for personal loans. £6000 paid back over 36 months would be about £185 a month on that particular one, so the same going out each month as for my credit card now. It works to paying back just under £6700, which appears to compare well to what I'm doing now, but I need to factor in interest will shrink as I pay things off. Is there a better, more thorough way to work out the comparison? I must admit, I idea of being able to set a date to be "debt free" is appealing. Of course I need to be accepted for the loan, no idea if that can happen, so I'm keen to hear other suggestions on how to proceed.

I may also be taking a one-year Master's degree course from September, if that is relevant to any advice you might give.

Telemarchitect
Oct 1, 2009

TOUCH THE KNOB
Alright finance goons. I need some advice because my money tree has been very, very generous the past couple of months.

I'm holding two jobs until labour day: a contract/stipend research job worth $3500 and a part time position on weekends (worth overall ~$1600). In the fall I'm (hopefully!) going back to school to start postgrad.

I'm making this post because I won a $5000 grant that I'd like to make the most out of. On top of the jobs and grant, I've got $2300 sitting in my account. I'm also receiving a living stipend that takes care of my food/sundries/bus pass etc and I live with relatives so my expenses/liabilities are minimal.

So to add up, I'll have roughly $12500 in savings by Labour Day. Here are my big items on the table:

• I have $11733 in student loan debt which does not collect interest/I do not have to begin making monthly payments on until November 30th 2013, unless I'm accepted into postgraduate, in which case I don't have to start paying until Oct 30th 2015 (or 6 months after I end school). The monthly payment will be $132.37.

• I have next year's tuition to pay for. It will be approximately $8000. I have the option of applying for more loans, but they'll notice I've made way more money this year and historically they've never covered more than 3/8ths of it.

• I'd like to fix my crooked nickelodeon-character overbite -- braces cost $6900 ($2000 upfront and $245/mo for 20 months); insurance covers $2250, which will eat the upfront and the first month's payment.

• I wanna have some fun with the money. Perhaps a $600 trip to New York City and a couple hundred to spend on my bike and workout gear

• I wanna play some FOOTBAWWWW next summer which will cost around $1000.

• also I can write off my previous years tuition expenses so that I don't have to pay income taxes :canada:

I'm not going to touch this money until at least Labour Day (63 days from now). School will begin and then I'm going to need it. Hopefully $1-$2k will be left in savings. I'm gonna talk to my bank (TD Canada Trust) tomorrow and see what they offer. I'm guessing since the period is so short that the only way to make any money would be to put it into aggressive/risky mutual funds.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Telemarchitect posted:

I'm guessing since the period is so short that the only way to make any money would be to put it into aggressive/risky mutual funds.

Nononononononono no no no no no no no.

No. No. No.

No.

Do not do this.

High risk investment are something people do over the long term because hey, if the shares crash down to 10% of their initial value, you still have the shares, and they'll go back up eventually right :unsmith:? Or rather, more volatile investments trend upward over a long period of time, but they go through ups and down. It could go through an up while you're holding, but it could also go through a crash. Someone smarter will be along shortly with a better explanation, but in your situation anything high risks, and mutual funds as a whole, are not a good idea at al.

For a 63 day holding period, you're looking at a CD at best. 1-2% interest, if that, but you're sure that the money'll be there in two months. Anything else is essentially gambling and while you're flush with cash right now, you really shouldn't be gambling in your situation.

Telemarchitect
Oct 1, 2009

TOUCH THE KNOB

FrozenVent posted:

Nononononononono no no no no no no no.

No. No. No.

No.

Do not do this.

Yeah no I wasn't planning on it. :v:

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
There are ultra short term bonds and corporate bridge loans that could be hypothetically leveraged here, but you need more like $5 million to make that happen while managing your risk.

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010
Stick it all in a TFSA (assuming you have contribution room) and earn your miniscule percentage of tax free interest for 63 days. I think that's your best bet.

Your should probably open an account with an online bank like ING Direct. TD will offer you terrible rates on a TFSA savings account.

edit: ING Direct is currently offering 1.4% on their TFSA's.

DarkJC fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Jul 5, 2013

El Kabong
Apr 14, 2004
-$10
Is there a method for figuring out if it is in my best interest to continue leasing the car I have or if I should I buy it out? I don't have much of a head for numbers, so I'm not sure how to do this.

Harry
Jun 13, 2003

I do solemnly swear that in the year 2015 I will theorycraft my wallet as well as my WoW

BizarroAzrael posted:

Would still like some feedback on this, but just to update I've spoken to the Financial Support department at the back and will now pay £90 a month to the credit card, £70 to the current account, and after 3 months my arrears should be credited back to the credit account under this arrangement. Still considering the loan if I can get it.

Just looking at what you said, it seems like the loan is a no brainer. It will consolidate everything (right?) and be far less interest over 3 years than just one year for only the credit card. I guess the only thing to think of is if you can pay off the credit card with the $3500 balance while under 0%, if so that would be a better bet but from what you said that doesn't sound likely.

lampey
Mar 27, 2012

I dont really understand the difference between statement balance and credit card balance. Normally I pay off the whole card every month. If I pay the statement balance will I avoid being charged interest?

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

lampey posted:

I dont really understand the difference between statement balance and credit card balance. Normally I pay off the whole card every month. If I pay the statement balance will I avoid being charged interest?

Your current balance includes charges made after the the last statement was issued. Set up an automatic payment for the full statement balance and you won't be charged interest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

lampey posted:

Yes. Stuff that hasn't cleared by the time your statement is generated can be paid on the next statement. If you pay the full statement balance you shouldn't be charged any interest

Your card balance is a running total. Your statement is the balance at a moment in time.