Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Midjack posted:

Good to hear; I have one of these fuckers on order and was worried that they were never going to ship - the date had slipped from March to April 30 and then haven't heard anything since April.

The ebay seller is claiming shipping will happen in August. I think Bandai gave these guys some trouble which would explain the delay in shipping.

Edit: Some more news just popped up! Daban Model is being cute and giving away clues to their next few releases:

HGUC - 2 units..
a) U _ _ _ _ _ _- _ A
b) U _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ E

Nxxt PG - 1 unit.. "either a or b"
a) _ _ - _ _ _ _ _ R
b) _ _ _ - _ _ _ _ E

HGUC Unicorn FA
HGUC Unicorn Banshee

PG 00 Raiser
PG Red Frame

TaurusOxford fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Jun 27, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
im not finding either one on ebay, what search terms did you use?

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Fauxtool posted:

im not finding either one on ebay, what search terms did you use?

I just type in 1/100 Gundam to find the Kshatriya, and that same seller also has the wings of light:

http://www.ebay.ca/sch/hqoparts/m.html?item=221246673938&pt=Model_Kit_US&hash=item3383545412&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2562

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
Someone who's already gotten the kit took some photos. I hope you like sanding!

Today I found out there is a Gunpla Builders manga. I also learned that the Forever Gundam got a terrible Full Weapon/Char Custom mod.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

BlitzBlast posted:

Today I found out there is a Gunpla Builders manga. I also learned that the Forever Gundam got a terrible Full Weapon/Char Custom mod.

A part of me loves kits like this. It's fun trying to recognize all the different crap from different kits that he slapped on to it.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Sometimes they straight up tell you.

(I'm not sure how I feel about this one. I love the ZZ and the FA ZZ but this is... eh.)

Also in the manga it was kitbashed by a girl! Here's some of the other stuff she's done.

Faltion
Jul 4, 2004

I am an anachronism
6 months later (again) I finally finished something. It was for a group build with a forum called the Mecha Lounge and the theme was two warring factions: Air/Space & Earth. There's not a ton of custom work and most of it isn't even visible because they're thrusters in the legs and the skirt I didn't bother taking a picture of. I used the awesome 1/144 hobby base jointed hands because the stock ones were way too large, some small metal thrusters, bandai builders parts thrusters, and builders parts sniper rifle.

gelgoog jager custom-2 by faltion, on Flickr

gelgoog jager custom-3 by faltion, on Flickr

gelgoog jager custom-4 by faltion, on Flickr

gelgoog jager custom-1 by faltion, on Flickr

gelgoog jager custom-5 by faltion, on Flickr

The inspiration for the color scheme came from my favorite suit of my collection when I was playing SD Gundam Online.

Silentman0
Jul 11, 2005

I have a new neighbor. Heard he comes from far away

TaurusOxford posted:

Third party Elyn Hobby Products have released 1/100 "Kastrysha", a full plastic snap-together model, on ebay for about 318 dollars shipped:

Are its binders more like the show compared to the 1/144, i.e. can it completely cover itself?

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
Partial photo-review of the Elyn Kshatriya here. It's a disappointingly crude effort.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Bimmi posted:

Partial photo-review of the Elyn Kshatriya here. It's a disappointingly crude effort.

It's kind of a shame. I'm sure plenty of people would have little problem fixing the issues and turn it into an amazing looking kit. The price for it however is gonna kill off interest to everyone except super-hardcore Kshatriya fans.

Edit: Also, gently caress it. I pre-ordered Age-2 White Normal. I can't ignore a limited master grade of one of the few good things that came out of AGE.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

TaurusOxford posted:

It's kind of a shame. I'm sure plenty of people would have little problem fixing the issues and turn it into an amazing looking kit. The price for it however is gonna kill off interest to everyone except super-hardcore Kshatriya fans.

Now I'm worried. I didn't pay anything near the going rate at the moment; did I get a knockoff of a knockoff? :ohdear:

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

So the new anime series was a new Gunpla series after all. Main suit is the Build Strike, an Aile Strike variant. We'll be getting some HGs for it, of course.

Much more importantly, there's a new All Gundam project that seeks to make moden HGs of all the lead Gundams. The first will be the Wing Zero, and three more were announced but I wasn't paying attention because one of them was the motherfucking Double X Gundam holy gently caress it's happening yesssss.

EDIT:

It's so beautiful.

BlitzBlast fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Jul 2, 2013

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Hell yeah.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Oh and here are the first HGs from the new OVA:

Wow, I can't wait to buy a slightly different Gundam X?

Faltion
Jul 4, 2004

I am an anachronism
I'm really not getting the purpose of the All Gundam project. I can understand making a Double X and a Victory (wont a 1/144 Victory be tiny?) but aren't some of the kits like the AGE-1 and Ez-8 relatively recent? And there really wasn't a HG of the Wing Gundam? I don't get why they're not pushing this as a RG thing instead of HG. Maybe I'm just totally missing the point.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

The prices were already there, so I'm thinking the list on the bottom is just "hey here are the ones that are already out".

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Faltion posted:

I'm really not getting the purpose of the All Gundam project. I can understand making a Double X and a Victory (wont a 1/144 Victory be tiny?) but aren't some of the kits like the AGE-1 and Ez-8 relatively recent? And there really wasn't a HG of the Wing Gundam? I don't get why they're not pushing this as a RG thing instead of HG. Maybe I'm just totally missing the point.

There wasn't an HG of any Wing kit as we know HG today.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Faltion posted:

And there really wasn't a HG of the Wing Gundam?

No there wasn't. Now there is and I finally have a reason to buy 1/144 again.

BlitzBlast posted:

Oh and here are the first HGs from the new OVA:

Wow, I can't wait to buy a slightly different Gundam X?

I can't stop laughing at "Zaku Amazing".

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Upcoming releases:

September: HG Wing Zero (TV)

October: HG Double X

November: HG Victory

December: HG F-91

January: HG V2

February onwards: who knows, but we'll at least get HG Turn A, HG V2 A/B, HG Wing Zero, HG Wing Custom, and HG Crossbones. Whether or not the All Gundam project extends to non-main Gundams is unknown.

Also: new batches of all previous released HG leads are being made, and there will be sales.

EDIT: Derp.

BlitzBlast fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Jul 2, 2013

Faltion
Jul 4, 2004

I am an anachronism
So I wonder if the new Gunpla Builders anime going to be an actual series or another short ova like Beginning G. I actually enjoyed the ova when viewed as straight fan service for the fans. I also wonder when we'll start to see Origin kits, since that's a thing now.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

BlitzBlast posted:

Upcoming releases:

September: HG Wing Zero

That's Wing, Not Wing Zero.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Yeah that was dumb of me.

One last announcement: universal backpacks.

Cool concept, but these look kind of silly.

EDIT: According to people who understand japanese, the main thrust of the All Gundam project is to standardize the engineering for HGs so parts can be swapped around more easily. Sounds kind of lame.

BlitzBlast fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Jul 2, 2013

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

BlitzBlast posted:

EDIT: According to people who understand japanese, the main thrust of the All Gundam project is to standardize the engineering for HGs so parts can be swapped around more easily. Sounds kind of lame.

Not really. It sounds like they want to make it easier for gunpla collectors to bash models together to make cool customs. Makes sense considering Gundam Breaker came out recently which is basically Gunpla The Game.

Faltion
Jul 4, 2004

I am an anachronism
That moment a part you're holding with tweezers fires off and you don't hear it land. Unfortunately for me it was 5mm in length and .5 in diameter and tan and I have a beige carpet. :negative:
I spent about an hour total on hands and knees and then broke out the vacuum, removed the bag, vacuumed the entire room and then sifted through the disgusting mess to find it to no avail.

I had just put glue on the part to attach it to what I am working on. Guess where I found it: stuck to the front of my shirt
There's no words for how dumb I feel.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

The line for gundam builders enabling massive kitbashing is cool in my book.

"going to take this rifle, those legs, that chest and this backpack"
Well guess what; Bandai sold 4 kits there and kitbashing just got easier. :fap:

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

What I'm worried about is that it might mean we won't get any new experimental designs anymore. I've heard great things about the AGE kits, and I'd be very disappointed if the Turn A wasn't weird as gently caress underneath the hood.

But whatever, HG Double X and V2 are coming I can't possibly be angry at Bandai. :allears:

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021
Man, Bandai really went all out for the Gundam 3.0 boxart:

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Just a striding through Kamen Rider...
The lights on the Gundam for that box art are just like the real size gundam stuate they have out there in Japan. Neat.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

I'm a bit surprised that the box is that big. I'm guessing there must be a crapload of plates for this thing.

Meow Tse-tung
Oct 11, 2004

No one cat should have all that power
I got to make two kits while bored at work this week.

HGUC Sazabi: This thing was amazingly fun to build. Everything fit together snugly, the articulation is great, and there's a lot of detail. It's almost as big as my other 1/100s, by virtue of Sazabi being a pretty bulky suit with thrusters under every skirt, I guess. I feel like it's on par with some of the older Master Grade suits I built, like the RX-78 and Zaku-II

HG Tallgeese III: Unfortunately this thing is poo poo. Are the rest of the 1/100 wing HG's this bad? I know I read that it's a toss up with 90s stuff. The articulation is pretty poor, the coloration requires painting (The shield is grey, but blue/white on the box. I know I'm being a giant babby but I dislike paint and glue and want stuff I can do at work without bringing a whole bag of supplies) joints are bad, plastic bends easily, and when making the mega beam cannon, the slightest misalignment and pressure snapped off a piece. Easily the worst kit I've built. I'm using the Tallgeese I dober gun until I can go home and get some super glue. It's awkward as hell when trying to physically hold the heat rod and shield as well.

I think the idea was to have it be all 3 tallgeese kits in one, but it even fails to do that well since tallgeese 2's head just refuses to snap together right. It just seems very poorly done. Is there any sort of cut off date for when the 1/100 kits got better, or is it just kit-by-kit? My gut response is to avoid HG 1/100s based on this.

I still have the following to build: RG Zeta, HGUC Sinanju, RG Freedom. Thinking of buying: MG Tallgeese, RG Aile Strike, Some form of Nu Gundam, Gouf custom and Hyaku shiki. Would appreciate any feedback from you all who have built these :)

Meow Tse-tung fucked around with this message at 07:03 on Jul 3, 2013

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today

Meow Tse-tung posted:

HG Tallgeese III: Unfortunately this thing is poo poo. Are the rest of the 1/100 wing HG's this bad?

Per'much. The 1/100 HGs from 1994-2000 are all of a piece, good for the time but really stagnant towards the end with a lot of problems endemic to the general approach taken. The good stuff from the MG line didn't really start filtering downward until SEED happened.

The TGIII in particular is a bit worse than most of the others though, for reasons you described – plastic coloration is not great and the B-cannon is totally fall-a-part unless you glue.

I do like the HG Deathscythe and Shenlong, all things considered. The 1994 HG Shining Gundam is still a great kit, hands down. And the two 1/60 HG-EX kits from G Gundam are both worth having.

quote:

I still have the following to build: RG Zeta, HGUC Sinanju, RG Freedom. Thinking of buying: MG Tallgeese, RG Aile Strike, Some form of Nu Gundam, Gouf custom and Hyaku shiki. Would appreciate any feedback from you all who have built these :)

Gouf Custom hails from a time when the MG line was going through severe growing pains and it is... not real good. The joint system, which is very weird, is a particular drawback and not even remotely suited to holding up that huge gatling without serious intervention. Bad knees, too. Can't recommend it.

Shiki also has weird joints of a totally different kind and tends to shed its forearms and legs without notice (lots of dead-end approaches to MG engineering around this time) but as it doesn't have to hold any really heavy weapons, this is somewhat excusable. Articulation could be better, but it remains after 13 years a REALLY nice-looking display piece and is in fact one of the very few models I have out in my living space which are not the RX-78-2.

(we're really overdue for a Shiki 2.0 at this point)

Bimmi fucked around with this message at 07:40 on Jul 3, 2013

Morgenthau
Aug 28, 2007
Circumstances have gone beyond my control.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=tGA_xKm95zg

Here's a synopsis of the anime series, it looks like bit of an excuse for the animators to draw old MS designs which is pretty cool.

There's a fair bit of V designs in there so here's hoping we get a few HGUC Zanscare Empire releases.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Meow Tse-tung posted:

I still have the following to build: RG Zeta, HGUC Sinanju, RG Freedom.

RG Zeta is exactly as fragile as you think it is, be incredibly careful. Especially with the arms, they can snap right off. And you're going to have to pick right now if you want it to be in MS mode or Waverider mode because transforming the thing is a god damned nightmare.

As a modern HG, I imagine Sinanju is great.

RG Freedom is fine, though I hear the wings are a little loose. Also you are not going to get it to stand up without a ton of effort, so I hope you have an Action Base. Nerdy Seagoon should know more.

quote:

Thinking of buying: MG Tallgeese, RG Aile Strike, Some form of Nu Gundam, Gouf custom and Hyaku shiki. Would appreciate any feedback from you all who have built these :)

MG Tallgeese is great (you can ask Taurus for more details), and as far as I know the only problem is that it needs a little touch up work. Xy Hapu posted about it earlier.

RG Aile Strike is fine, but it suffers the same balance issues as the Freedom because... well look at that Aile backpack. Of course it's gonna be back heavy. :v: Once again, Nerdy Seagoon can tell you more.

Finally, the Nu. I can attest to the HG Nu being great (and with the All Gundam project, it should be on sale right now), but MG wise it's a different story. The original MG Nu is okay, but its proportions are hosed and the head is gigantic. The newer Nu vKa is a huge step forward engineering-wise, but the design is a lot more cluttered up, the beam rifle is too heavy for the arm, and the funnels will not stay together without some sort of mod. The Action Base it comes with it also pretty bad.

BlitzBlast fucked around with this message at 09:47 on Jul 3, 2013

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

Bimmi posted:

And the two 1/60 HG-EX kits from G Gundam are both worth having.

Any more info about these? My local shop has them both, and I was thinking that it might be cool to have a really big G Gundam for a display piece, but I'm not sure how they are.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Meow Tse-tung posted:

Thinking of buying: MG Tallgeese

MG Tallgeese is a fantastic kit with the only flaw being the dumb stickers they give you for the booster pod wings. Everything else is great. Here's a pic I posted in this thread a while ago of mine:

Anything that can pose like that on the ground is worthy of a purchase.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Meow Tse-tung posted:

The RG Aile Strike's a great kit to build and lots of fun to pose. It's worth getting the RG Skygrasper as well if you do get the Aile Strike, as it comes with the other two striker packs.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today

Kurui Reiten posted:

Any more info about these? My local shop has them both, and I was thinking that it might be cool to have a really big G Gundam for a display piece, but I'm not sure how they are.

Oh Baby.

All I can say is that you will probably not regret your purchase. They are awesome kits, fun to build, look great, are loving huge and have all kinds of mobility.

They are old... QUITE old... but that doesn't matter because they're both high-end state-of-the-art for their time. HG-EX God Gundam is still one of my very fav kits of all time (and it haz an LED feature even)

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

What's building them like? Are they engineered like Master Grades, or what?

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Kurui Reiten posted:

What's building them like? Are they engineered like Master Grades, or what?

They don't have inner frames if that is what you're asking. It's more or less on par with current 1/144 HG kits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today

Kurui Reiten posted:

What's building them like? Are they engineered like Master Gra]
des, or what?

like a Master Grade circa 1995, but in a good way.

no really, the 1:60 HG-EX Shining Gundam and G Gundam are totally worth it.

how can you not love this?

Bimmi fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Jul 3, 2013

• Locked thread