Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

dreaming of that face again

it's bright and blue and shimmering

grinning wide and comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes
Coming in late and seeing the flip from This sucks to WAR to don't hurt me is probably funnier than it should be.

Also, I've stated it before, but no matter how "fake and contrived" Kazerad's entertainment is, I am, in fact, entertained.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kazerad
Aug 1, 2011

Unshamed by Koos
The even funnier part you guys can't see are the emails WLF sends me. As far as I can tell there is only one person who handles the contests, meaning she had to deal with me original "Hey is it okay if I ask people to vote for me?" emails, sent me the later "wow, we didn't see that coming" emails, and now the most recent "any idea how to stem this flow of complaints?" email.

I've been in communication with Atryl too. When I asked if he'd counter me, I didn't consider he may not share my affinity for navigating chaos. I guess for most people it's still pretty scary to have 100 people calling you a hero and 100 people saying you're the devil, and he's probably not entirely sure how to handle it. I'm hoping me, him, and WLF can come up with a solution that works for all three of us. Though if things get too normal, I still have some cards up my sleeve that should make this even more entertaining. This is exciting. I am excited.

The next Prequel update is coming along nicely too. It's not a huge one, but technically probably the most complicated.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Kazerad posted:

The next Prequel update is coming along nicely too. It's not a huge one, but technically probably the most complicated.

Oh god, what have you done now? This is going to be some nth dementional poo poo.

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

Ariong posted:

Oh god, what have you done now? This is going to be some nth dementional poo poo.

Smellovision.

Kazerad
Aug 1, 2011

Unshamed by Koos

Ursine Asylum posted:

Smellovision.

Watch the corner of your browser window. When you see a number appear, scratch the appropriate section of your card.

God it scares me how clearly I remember the 90s.

But no, it's nothing so groundbreaking; don't get your hopes up. It's some pretty ordinary stuff really, I just personally haven't done it before. Which means I've ran into a bunch of unexpected challenges along the way, but that's kind of the point.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Technically more complicated than The Stairwell or an entire RPG town in flash form? Interesting.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

So is the post by "Self-Loathing" a little bit by Kazerad himself, or is it someone who made an account on the MSPA forums for that purpose?

Maple Leaf
Aug 24, 2010

Let'en my post flyen true

SirSamVimes posted:

So is the post by "Self-Loathing" a little bit by Kazerad himself, or is it someone who made an account on the MSPA forums for that purpose?

As I understand it, some people really get into role-playing as Katia's subconscious and name themselves after parts of her psyche, so their commands will show up as "[Katia's] Self-Loathing".

Or maybe it's just that one guy :v: Either way, it's not Kaz.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Maple Leaf posted:

As I understand it, some people really get into role-playing as Katia's subconscious and name themselves after parts of her psyche, so their commands will show up as "[Katia's] Self-Loathing".

Or maybe it's just that one guy :v: Either way, it's not Kaz.

Well that's what I meant by "someone who made an account on the MSPA forums for that purpose".

Epinephrine
Nov 7, 2008
Update

Situation controlled!

Iced Cocoa
Jul 14, 2011

Where can I get the sound track?

Haledjian
May 29, 2008

YOU CAN'T MOVE WITH ME IN THIS DIGITAL SPACE
Uhh he got away. I'm bad at this.

Maple Leaf
Aug 24, 2010

Holding the P key makes Katia do a little jig.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Maple Leaf posted:

Holding the P key makes Katia do a little jig.

Thanks for the tip! I was doing it manually.

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.
92 seconds. Might have done better but I kept running into bushes.

Maple Leaf
Aug 24, 2010

Completing it in 70 seconds or less earns you a real-life prize.

Iced Cocoa
Jul 14, 2011

Gnome de plume posted:

92 seconds. Might have done better but I kept running into bushes.

78 here, but I also hit bushes.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
So what I got from that was that it's now canon that Katia is terrible at jumping with the right timing.

ANIME MONSTROSITY
Jun 1, 2012

by XyloJW

cheetah7071 posted:

So what I got from that was that it's now canon that Katia is a human-sized bar of soap.

Pretty much, yeah.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

If you hold "down", she runs on all fours, which is faster. You just have to release it early so that she can jump.

And, yeah, she runs like a video game character on ice, so start all your movements early.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
82 seconds.

Learning to let go of the right arrow key to turn around is way, way harder than it has any right to be. Just... so ingrained in my subconscious that the very idea makes me winch.

Kgummy
Aug 14, 2009
Getting closer to the '70 seconds' thing. 75 seconds.

Though I've gotten REALLY close to catching him early on. Like Katia is within a few inches or so before the barrel and box leading to the first castle bit.

And 74 seconds. I think I can do it.

73 seconds. And I messed up at the end.

71 seconds. :negative:

SEVENTY SECONDS. I could probably get it just a few seconds shorter, but drat was that tight. Missing one jump ruins the entire run.

Kgummy fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Jul 9, 2013

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

78 seconds. I admit I spent more time than I probably should have trying to catch up early.

Fake edit: 70 seconds on the button. Holy poo poo you weren't kidding.

Actual edit: Woo 69

Kgummy posted:

SEVENTY SECONDS. I could probably get it just a few seconds shorter, but drat was that tight. Missing one jump ruins the entire run.

I don't even know. Apart from a couple of half-second bush brushes, the only place I feel I could have saved a bit more time is getting directly into the grate hole in the building-- my last run I hit the side of it when jumping in and lost my momentum.

Kgummy posted:

Though I've gotten REALLY close to catching him early on. Like Katia is within a few inches or so before the barrel and box leading to the first castle bit.

Yeah that's what made me think it was possible, but after getting it down perfectly and just spending a good two or three seconds on all fours with him dancing a oval office hair in front of me, it seems that one or both of us is on Mario Kart physics.

Alliterate Addict fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Jul 9, 2013

Kgummy
Aug 14, 2009
Well I got really good; the places that I messed up cost me a total of a second or so.

I was able to jump on every single roof that priest guy does. And be on that last roof. Also jumping over several obstacles that you can barely clear when jumping off the roof. I lost about half a second on that grate hole. I was able to make it by not running into the wall before doubling back. It is possible to jump on the roof after that, and stay on the roofs for the rest of the run, though.

Katia is a master of jumping a half second after her feet stop touching anything, which really helps. I think it's nigh required to do so.

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

Kgummy posted:

Well I got really good; the places that I messed up cost me a total of a second or so.

I was able to jump on every single roof that priest guy does. And be on that last roof. Also jumping over several obstacles that you can barely clear when jumping off the roof. I lost about half a second on that grate hole. I was able to make it by not running into the wall before doubling back. It is possible to jump on the roof after that, and stay on the roofs for the rest of the run, though.

Katia is a master of jumping a half second after her feet stop touching anything, which really helps. I think it's nigh required to do so.

Yeah, staying on the roofs after the building interior is probably the easiest part of the entire thing. The places that kept killing me were the second wooden roof on the first rooftop area-- it feels like there should be enough time to sprint but there's not-- and the gravestones leading up to the building interior-- no matter how well I try to time the jumps, I keep ending up moving at a speed that results in me hitting the wall outside before I can jump, and from that the jump timing into the hole ends up being borked.

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

Do you actually get something for 70 seconds? It took me half an hour of retries to get it down to 71 and I don't think I can do it any faster.

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

Suaimhneas posted:

Do you actually get something for 70 seconds? It took me half an hour of retries to get it down to 71 and I don't think I can do it any faster.

Yes, but I won't spoil it for you so you'll just have to bootstrap yourself to win it. :colbert:

It's already spoiled in the update comments so I guess it doesn't actually matter.

Alliterate Addict fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Jul 9, 2013

Successful Businessmanga
Mar 28, 2010

Hot drat! 70 seconds on the dot, phew. Cool stuff. :)

IronSaber
Feb 24, 2009

:roboluv: oh yes oh god yes form the head FORM THE HEAD unghhhh...:fap:
108 seconds. I am bad at internet video games. :saddowns:

Kgummy
Aug 14, 2009

Ursine Asylum posted:

Yes, but I won't spoil it for you so you'll just have to bootstrap yourself to win it. :colbert:

I like what appears after you refresh that specific page. And the other one.

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

The available prizes have all been claimed, so you can stop driving yourself crazy if you're still trying to hit 70 seconds.

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

Gruckles posted:

The available prizes have all been claimed, so you can stop driving yourself crazy if you're still trying to hit 70 seconds.

At what point does it say that?

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

Ursine Asylum posted:

At what point does it say that?

Well, it's the journey that counts.

Kgummy
Aug 14, 2009
Since the link doesn't give any information without the cookie, here's the page you got after filling in your address.
Well, after refreshing it.

The other version gave a specific code related to your win, presumably in case an error message popped up. Well, a second chance to copy it down. Then it mentions 'My memory will be erased so I won't remember why you're here', hence the snippet on the page. Though it DID say something like 'if you made a typo in your address, too bad. Your punishment is having to beat the game again.'

Of course, you can still get to the 'victory page', in a way.

You won't get the 'golden shield amulet of protection Prequel promotional pin' though.

Wish I had saved a picture of what the pin looked like in the preview. Oh well, I'll get it soon enough. Kind of wonder how many there are, though.

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

Sleepy Owl posted:

Well, it's the journey that counts.

Oh, well drat. :(

Oh well, have a commemorative avatar instead.

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer
drat, and I just got 70secs as well after about 15mins of trying.

Oh well. Fun little mini game, good music too.

TinfoilHate
Nov 19, 2003

What the hell is wrong
with you people?
Woe, for the chances of being a walking billboard are long expired.

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011
While I don't like how the character controls, I'm getting better and it's a quick enough game that I don't mind the extra challenge.
Now, to get to 70 seconds or less. :v:

Pyradox
Oct 23, 2012

...some kind of monster, I think.

radintorov posted:

While I don't like how the character controls, I'm getting better and it's a quick enough game that I don't mind the extra challenge.
Now, to get to 70 seconds or less. :v:

Yeah, Katia's movement physics are sluggish as hell and it's nigh impossible to get her to jump when you want her to because of it. It's an awesome update, but Super Meat Boy it ain't.

I got down to 76 seconds, but I doubt I'll play it any longer.

I really want that song though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TinfoilHate
Nov 19, 2003

What the hell is wrong
with you people?

Pyradox posted:

Yeah, Katia's movement physics are sluggish as hell and it's nigh impossible to get her to jump when you want her to because of it. It's an awesome update, but Super Meat Boy it ain't.

I got down to 76 seconds, but I doubt I'll play it any longer.

I really want that song though.

Yeah, it's pretty good. I've gotten 70 seconds twice now. Trying to break that is not going well. I am very bad at this.

• Locked thread