Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Welp I finished super luigi U. My biggest complaint about the game is all of the starcoins that require the loving tiny shroom, or are just put in places that absolutely necessitate a guide.

My second biggest complaint is that the game has a completely inconsistent difficulty level. Some of the world 1 levels are the hardest levels in the game, and some of the late-game/secret levels are incredibly easy and can be cleared in 30 seconds with all the starcoins in plain sight.

I mean, all of it is fun, but it's really jarring to be pulling my hairs out on a stage, then I get to the stage after it and it's a complete cakewalk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

ImpAtom posted:

Blockbuster still exists?!

When I came down to Dallas Fort Worth to find an apartment I found one directly across from an Amoco station. It was like I'd suddenly gone back in time to 1994.

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

If you're playing Mario or Luigi U without a second player on the tablet you're playing it wrong.

Also the thief game in Game and Wario is insanely fun.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

If you're playing Mario or Luigi U without a second player on the tablet you're playing it wrong.

Also the thief game in Game and Wario is insanely fun.

We both (Fiancée and I) find the tablet really loving stupid for NSMB.

Maybe we just aren't pro, but those platform blocks usually suck. We would both rather, you know, play the game.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
My roommates just showed me the Miiverse sketch in Game&Wario and holy poo poo so worth the price. I just can't stop laughing, this is so good.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Did anyone mention MH3U is on Amazon for $34.99? Because it totally is.

Sir John Feelgood
Nov 18, 2009

Blaisedell posted:

My local Blockbuster (in the UK) closed recently and this enjoyable piece of graffiti popped up the next day:

Hooligans.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

My roommates just showed me the Miiverse sketch in Game&Wario and holy poo poo so worth the price. I just can't stop laughing, this is so good.

Giantbomb also spent half their quicklook messing around with the Miiverse word sketch stuff: http://www.giantbomb.com/videos/quick-look-game-and-wario/2300-7642/

I was cracking up, the game might literally be worth it just for that feature.

SnipeShow
Nov 7, 2009

That dance wasn't as safe as they said it was.

Bobnumerotres posted:

Welp I finished super luigi U. My biggest complaint about the game is all of the starcoins that require the loving tiny shroom, or are just put in places that absolutely necessitate a guide.

My second biggest complaint is that the game has a completely inconsistent difficulty level. Some of the world 1 levels are the hardest levels in the game, and some of the late-game/secret levels are incredibly easy and can be cleared in 30 seconds with all the starcoins in plain sight.

I mean, all of it is fun, but it's really jarring to be pulling my hairs out on a stage, then I get to the stage after it and it's a complete cakewalk.

I'm pretty sure you never need the mini shroom to get a star coin. There are spots that it looks that way, but they are red herrings for stupidly placed ground pounds.

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

Dr. Video Games 0050 posted:

Maybe we just aren't pro, but those platform blocks usually suck. We would both rather, you know, play the game.

If your fiance isn't actively trying to kill you while you're playing the game then you're doing it wrong. Beat both Mario and Luigi U 100% this way. It owns.

Kilazar
Mar 23, 2010

grmartin posted:

Did you check the GameStop site for used copies in-store? Some GameStops have a used copy in stock for $70.

Yeah, each gamestop that had it listed within 100 miles of me was a lie. I called ahead before driving out. Checked the Kansas city locations as well since I'll be up there this week, and it was the same story. Website said they had them in stock, called and was told it was sold the minute it came in and the systems take 24 hours to update.

*edit*

I can't seem to get around my works filters to find the information. What format do I need to set on my SD card so that it will work with both the wii-u side and the wii side?

Kilazar fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Jul 1, 2013

bone app the teeth
May 14, 2008

I don't know how I just found out about the new Scribblenauts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=drZfzkDUcsA

Looks awesome.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Dr. Video Games 0050 posted:

Making the blocks is a blast, and it's usually the position I play when I have 4 friends available.

I choose who lives or dies. :colbert:

Famous TV Dad
Nov 1, 2011

Actually thats kind of a problem with the blocks. Its a little too easy to kill people. At least when you're playing normally you have to put some effort into it.

Commissar Ken
Dec 9, 2006

Children STILL love me, dammit!

flare posted:

I don't know how I just found out about the new Scribblenauts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=drZfzkDUcsA

Looks awesome.

Yeah, i'm pretty excited for that if for no other reason than it looks like they threw in everyone and I have a real hardon for D list characters like Kite-man and KGBeast and Stephanie Brown.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW
EA: We are clearly huge liars

http://www.dualshockers.com/2013/07/01/ea-between-ps4-and-xbox-one-well-be-the-winners-frostbite-3-on-wii-u-lower-priority-but-possible/

quote:

Electronic Arts released Mass Effect 3 and FIFA 13 for the Wii U, but currently we’re focusing our resources on Xbox One and PS4, so it’s a fact that the priority (of the Wii U) is slightly lower. Howerver making Frostbite 3 work on the Wii U is not impossible. Where there are gamers, we’ll be there as well. This is the true meaning of “omnidirectional”

I hope EA goes bankrupt. Like tomorrow. That'd be pretty cool.

Pixeltendo
Mar 2, 2012

One day paper jam, and it'll take Activision with it, and spyro and crash will be back with sony again and then and then :worship:

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

They are losing quite a bit of money and laid of a poo poo ton of people a few months ago. They probably won't go bankrupt but they sure as hell aren't doing so hot.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

It looks like Ubisoft's website was hacked so if you ever made a uPlay account for Assassin's Creed or something you might want to change your password.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Best response to this: Ubisoft is taking their Watch Dogs campaign too far.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Meanwhile, Kotaku reports on gourmet lollipops.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

:sigh: Seriously Ubisoft, not only you make me register an account for no reason and then you loving get my data stolen?

I don't even remember what my password for this poo poo was.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Kurtofan posted:

:sigh: Seriously Ubisoft, not only you make me register an account for no reason and then you loving get my data stolen?

I don't even remember what my password for this poo poo was.

RAYMAN2012

Dieting Hippo
Jan 5, 2006

THIS IS NOT A PROPER DIET FOR A HIPPO
If you haven't tried out Game & Wario yet, do it for the Miiverse Sketch. I swear to god that is the best poo poo in a while. My Miiverse twitter feed is reading like a crazy man list from the words I've suggested. No bites yet for drawings, but here's hoping.

A TON OF CLAMS

edit: I went ahead and made a thread for it.

Dieting Hippo fucked around with this message at 08:46 on Jul 3, 2013

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!
The Injustice DLC finally made it to the Wii U in NA today :toot:

Lobo, Batgirl, Zod, and Scorpion are now available to buy, plus a whole bunch of skins for various characters.

Sadly private lobbies and iOS app integration still haven't been patched in.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
Is The Flaming C in there?

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!

Sadly he is not.

Weird bit of news today. Apparently Ubisoft is now REALLY INTO the second screen experience and they have a 50 person team dedicated to implementing asymmetric gameplay ideas. On the PS4 and XBone :psyduck:

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2013-07-02-ubisoft-convinced-second-screen-gaming-is-the-future

quote:

"With Assassin's Creed III, we were involved on the Wii U version. The Wii U was kind of the pioneer of the connected tablet interface. This gave us some ideas for the first iteration of tablets connected with console games," said Rioux.

Unfortunately, while the Wii U was the beginning, Ubisoft Quebec's current focus is creating a cohesive experience between the Xbox One/PlayStation 4 and mobile devices. The studio is not committed to bringing some of these new experiences to the Wii U platform.

"It's not confirmed yet, but if it's possible to do it and it makes sense, yes we will provide some kind of experience on the Wii U. Our focus is on the new generation of Microsoft and Sony consoles," explained Rioux.

"Wow that's a cool idea Nintendo... OK time to get a slice of that app store money, peace!"

Crowbear fucked around with this message at 13:19 on Jul 3, 2013

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

quote:

The Wii U was kind of the pioneer of the connected tablet interface.
Eat your heart out, DS! Incidently I think Smartglass and its Sony equivalent won't be a focus for long. It just doesn't seem like the type of thing that someone would want to specifically play much of. You know, setting the real controller aside for an optional dog petting minigame in CoD or whatever. It just doesn't make sense to me.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica
Everybody laughed when Nintendo said GCN/GBA connectivity was the future. Who's laughing now?

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!

Cliff Racer posted:

Eat your heart out, DS! Incidently I think Smartglass and its Sony equivalent won't be a focus for long. It just doesn't seem like the type of thing that someone would want to specifically play much of. You know, setting the real controller aside for an optional dog petting minigame in CoD or whatever. It just doesn't make sense to me.

I agree, but what Ubisoft is doing isn't related to Smartglass or Remote Play. They're actually making full fledged apps for smart phones/tablets that let you interact with their console games while you're out of the house, like playing a mobile game that earns you stuff for your character in the main game or (like they showed at E3) being able to load into The Division as a flying drone to help your friends out in a fight.

The Gamepad being tethered to the console kills the whole "mobile" aspect of this stuff.

I have little interest in looking down at the Gamepad screen while I'm playing most games let alone having to deal with a second device, but when I have time to kill on a commute or during a break between classes being able to pop out my phone for a quick multiplayer session sounds like it could be nifty.

Theoretically they could make these apps interact with the Wii U versions of these games too, but what the dude said in that interview probably means they aren't committed to porting them unless something changes.

Crowbear fucked around with this message at 14:02 on Jul 3, 2013

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Box of Bunnies posted:

Everybody laughed when Nintendo said GCN/GBA connectivity was the future. Who's laughing now?

Yeah but those assholes made me buy 3 cables for that and released 2 games (that im aware of) for it.

You need more then a proof of concept and to scurry along to the next input style. Whixh obviously they went full wii.

Edit:3 games I guess. WW tingle tuner Crystal Cronicals and 4 swords.

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Bombadilillo posted:

Yeah but those assholes made me buy 3 cables for that and released 2 games (that im aware of) for it.

You need more then a proof of concept and to scurry along to the next input style. Whixh obviously they went full wii.

Edit:3 games I guess. WW tingle tuner Crystal Cronicals and 4 swords.

Also pac man vs, an unlock for a metroid game and a way to fix a bug on a gba pokemon game.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Don't forget Animal Crossing and the cards!

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
Yikes, that last level of Mighty Switch Force HD. :pwn: Drove me nuts, but it's one of those things that really makes you feel Good At Video Games when you beat it! Ready to pull my hair out all over again with MSF2 on 3DS.

robodex
Jun 6, 2007

They're what's for dinner

Dieting Hippo posted:

If you haven't tried out Game & Wario yet, do it for the Miiverse Sketch. I swear to god that is the best poo poo in a while. My Miiverse twitter feed is reading like a crazy man list from the words I've suggested. No bites yet for drawings, but here's hoping.

A TON OF CLAMS

edit: I went ahead and made a thread for it.

You know, I was going to skip G&W but after seeing this I might consider buying it. Especially since it's $40.

How does it stack up single-player? I'll still probably play it multiplayer with people but I know Nintendoland was pretty lame alone.

bone app the teeth
May 14, 2008

Nintendo says nope to removing the region lock.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

flare posted:

Great job Nintendo. Keep encouraging homebrewers to work on what you're too stupid to fix.

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!

flare posted:

quote:

"Nintendo has no plans to remove region locking from our systems. By taking this approach, Nintendo is able to include parental controls and ensure compliance with regional standards and rating systems."

Haha, the classic "think of the children :qq:" defense.

And I'm sure executives from Microsoft and Sony are being rounded up as we speak for their inability to comply with regional standards and rating systems.

bone app the teeth
May 14, 2008

It's all a conspiracy to keep the price of Xenoblade so high.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jtm33
Mar 23, 2010
So it seems like the main reason they want to region lock the 3DS is due to their Parental Controls system. How they can't handle games from different regions if the system is unrestricted. The hilarious thing about this is that they already do handle games from different regions.

I tested this out with my Australian bought 3DS (identical to European 3DS systems) and tested with a variety of European and Australian games.

We have different ratings systems, Europe uses PEGI and Australia uses the ACB. A rough equivalence of two ratings systems are (there are exceptions):

PEGI --- ACB
3 --- G
7 --- PG
12 --- M
16 --- MA15
18 --- R18

So I set my 3DS to Australia, and restricted my rating to MA15 (the highest the 3DS allows for some reason). All of the European games worked (even Resident Evil Revelations), except for Shin Megami Tensei Devil Survivor Overclocked. SMTDSO was not released in Australia and therefore has no local rating. Also, Shantae Risky's Revenge didn't work, as that was not rated locally either (the DSiWare shop stores ratings info). All DS games worked.

Next thing I did was set the restriction to G, the lowest. My European Animal Crossing worked, Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D did, as did any other game that was rated G by the ACB. Anything that was rated higher than G, even if it was a European version of the game, didn't work. The same to games that were not rated locally.

I set the system to PG to see how it handled games which were rated differently in regions. My Australian version of Kid Icarus Uprising was rated PG, but it was rated PEGI 12 in Europe. Of course it launched fine when restricted to PG. I set the system to Europe, and PEGI 7. The game didn't work, as it was rated PEGI 12.

So the things I found out:
- Games store information on multiple ratings systems and use that for Parental Controls
- For imported games, it will take the ratings information for your local ratings board if it is available and use that for parental control use (assuming your 3DS is set to your local region).
- If there is no local ratings information, it will block the game on all ratings levels.
- DS games have no restrictions.
- DSiWare games do have restrictions, and if the game has not been rated in your region it will be blocked.

• Locked thread