Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bamzilla
Jan 13, 2005

All butt since 2012.

I make a wipes solution (using baby washclothes) with baby oil, baby wash, and water. It lasts a while, is super gentle, and smells pretty good (considering).

Here's the recipe:
1/2 cup oil
1/2 cup soap or baby wash
2 cups water

It's great if your baby has a persistent rash and using anything else irritates them further. I only made it myself because I had so much unused baby oil, baby wash sitting around already opened.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hungry Squirrel
Jun 30, 2008

You gonna eat that?

frenchnewwave posted:

Any other home uses for baby oil and/or baby powder (which I also used just a handful of times)?

Baby oil is a pretty good makeup remover, I hear.

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002
Just soothed my one year old teething daughter back to sleep, army crawled out of her room and made it halfway down the stairs before she noticed I was gone. OFC my wife thought screenshotting the nanny cam would be the height of comedy. She was right.

Lullabee
Oct 24, 2010

Rock a bye bay-bee
In the beehive
Well, my fat mans getting big! Nearly 18 lbs, a little over 26 inches and a 44 cm head at 4 and a half months.

His pediatrician told me to start him on rice at 5 months because he's about to outgrow my milk due to his size. I asked about oatmeal and his response was 'you can use it. We just STRONGLY suggest starting with rice.' He also gave me a 'feeding your baby!' Paper with a coupon on it that expired in 2004, so..

We're going to see how the kiddo is doing with sitting up at 5 months and start foods probably closer to 6 months. Since it is what's recommended, as well skipping infant cereal in general and starting off with either avocados or sweet potatoes. I'm excited to try new foods with him. :)

Sorry if this is a repeat, but - have any of you used the ikea high chair? It's the cheapest that I've found new (and used), and I was just curious on experiences with it. We won't be using it until he's able to sit up well, so I don't think well have a big concern with him slouching over.

skeetied
Mar 10, 2011
Hopefully since you're posting this, you know the idea that he would outgrow your milk is utter bs. We have a Chicco seat but I have several friends with the Ikea high chair that adore it.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005
Yeah, pro-tip: take everything your pediatrician says about nutrition with a massive amount of skepticism. Do your own research or talk to an infant dietitian (a friend of mine has a master's in infant nutrition and works in a NICU if you have anything special you want me to ask her).

Have fun, we've been giving ours solids for two months now and it is seriously the most fun. Like you're planning, we started with avocado and sweet potato and now the list is about 30 foods long. He LOVES food.

Lullabee
Oct 24, 2010

Rock a bye bay-bee
In the beehive

skeetied posted:

Hopefully since you're posting this, you know the idea that he would outgrow your milk is utter bs. We have a Chicco seat but I have several friends with the Ikea high chair that adore it.

Yup. I mentioned the whole 'no foods til 6 months' thing, and he just said its what they (its a practice) suggest. I know there's something about needing more vitamins after 6 months? But it's nothing huge. The paperwork also suggested I give him gerber juice as a 'second food'. We don't go back until 6 1/2 months, so I'm not concerned about it too much. I've done my research and know what's good for my kid. At the end of the day, all he's doing is suggesting what he believes I should do.

And yeah, I don't think a lot of people have it (due to lack of ikeas), but the ones who do, rave about it. Plus $25 for a highchair is a good deal.

Chickalicious
Apr 13, 2005

We are the ones we've been waiting for.
I have the fisher price booster. We've used that since he started solids at 6 months. It's cheap, easy to clean, and portable (perfect for trips to Nana's, vacations, etc). And now that he's bigger, we use it without the the tray just as a booster seat to our regular table.

Edit: This is the one we have. http://www.amazon.com/Fisher-Price-Healthy-Care-Booster-Green/dp/B004C43JJ4/ref=pd_cp_ba_0 Babies R Us had it on sale one time AND I had a coupon, so I got it for $15. Best baby purchase ever.

Chickalicious fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Jul 3, 2013

bilabial trill
Dec 25, 2008

not just a B
The ikea high chair is pretty good. My mother in law has it at her house. I like it.

Lucha Luch
Feb 25, 2007

Mr. Squeakers coming off the top rope!
Any suggestions for tummy time for a baby who absolutely hates it? Rory is 3 months old and the only tummy time he gets is when either I or my husband has him on our bellies. I don't know how the gently caress I can get him up to 15 minutes a day because he acts like it's torture.

Alternately, he loves sitting and will grasp our fingers to pull himself up. He is a pretty happy dude as long as he isn't on his tummy.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Also, milk is more calorie dense than any food you can feed a baby. Friends of ours were told by their doctor to not start food till 6 months because of that because their baby is still below the weight chart. Feeding a baby real food to get more calories doesn't make much sense.

We didn't start with rice cereal since it doesn't usually have any fiber. We ground up our own oatmeal and made baby oatmeal that he sort of likes but now we're just doing infant lead weaning and its been a million times better than trying to spoon puree into a screaming and crying baby's mouth. His new favorite foods are steak and Bush's Texas Ranchero grillin' beans mashed up. It blows my mind because its a about a medium level of spicy but he ate the crap out of it and got mad when I wouldn't give him more. :psyduck:

frenchnewwave
Jun 7, 2012

Would you like a Cuppa?

Dandy Shrew posted:

Any suggestions for tummy time for a baby who absolutely hates it? Rory is 3 months old and the only tummy time he gets is when either I or my husband has him on our bellies. I don't know how the gently caress I can get him up to 15 minutes a day because he acts like it's torture.

Alternately, he loves sitting and will grasp our fingers to pull himself up. He is a pretty happy dude as long as he isn't on his tummy.

My advice is to not sweat it. Vivian hated tummy time so drat much at that age. I would try to force her on her tummy a few times a day but would only last a minute or so. Now at 7 months she plays and sleeps on her tummy no problem. We held her up a bunch, propped her up with pillows, over the nursing pillow etc so it wasn't like she was flat on her back all day. She mastered neck control with the best of them :)

Crazy Old Clarice
Mar 5, 2007

Lefou, I'm afraid I've been eating... you.

Dandy Shrew posted:

Many kids are like this, ours hated tummy time too. Spending some time lying on you or being worn by you/your husband will give Rory the time he needs to work on head control. Don't worry about trying to get your screaming kid to the 15 minute mark.

bamzilla
Jan 13, 2005

All butt since 2012.

We have the Ikea high chair and the fisher price booster seat and love both of them. My daughter's almost 4 and can still fit into the Fisher Price booster and she's 42lbs and 41 inches tall.

Lullabee
Oct 24, 2010

Rock a bye bay-bee
In the beehive

bamzilla posted:

We have the Ikea high chair and the fisher price booster seat and love both of them. My daughter's almost 4 and can still fit into the Fisher Price booster and she's 42lbs and 41 inches tall.

Alterian posted:

Also, milk is more calorie dense than any food you can feed a baby. Friends of ours were told by their doctor to not start food till 6 months because of that because their baby is still below the weight chart. Feeding a baby real food to get more calories doesn't make much sense.

We didn't start with rice cereal since it doesn't usually have any fiber. We ground up our own oatmeal and made baby oatmeal that he sort of likes but now we're just doing infant lead weaning and its been a million times better than trying to spoon puree into a screaming and crying baby's mouth. His new favorite foods are steak and Bush's Texas Ranchero grillin' beans mashed up. It blows my mind because its a about a medium level of spicy but he ate the crap out of it and got mad when I wouldn't give him more. :psyduck:

Yeah, we're more than likely going to start with BLW. I might try a few smushed up bananas or avocados in the beginning, but I won't know until then. We're also doing the 'food is for playing/learning' before 1 year. Just to get him ready for it, but more towards getting him in routines.

Thanks for the info on the ikea high chair. I was, and am, debating between it and the space saver. We're going to ikea soon, and will probably end up eating and trying it out there. He's got some chunk, so I'm afraid hell outgrow the ikea chair sooner rather than later.

vanessa
May 21, 2006

CAUTION: This pussy is ferocious.

Dandy Shrew posted:

You don't have to do 15 minutes all in one go. Three five minute tummy times also count. As he gets used to it, you can lengthen how long he spends doing tummy time in one sitting.

shadysight
Mar 31, 2007

Only slightly crazy
Speaking of food, my wife and I have decided that we're probably giving the kid (16mo) too much store bought stuff, and we'd like to cook more things for him. Any suggestions or websites I should check out? I'd like to be able to make a batch of a few different things and then parcel it out over a few days because of the way our schedules are working. We'd feed him more of what we're eating, but all too often that's just a hotdog or a black bean burger without a bun or anything since we haven't made time to cook anything more than that for ourselves either. :sweatdrop:

skeetied
Mar 10, 2011

shadysight posted:

Speaking of food, my wife and I have decided that we're probably giving the kid (16mo) too much store bought stuff, and we'd like to cook more things for him. Any suggestions or websites I should check out? I'd like to be able to make a batch of a few different things and then parcel it out over a few days because of the way our schedules are working. We'd feed him more of what we're eating, but all too often that's just a hotdog or a black bean burger without a bun or anything since we haven't made time to cook anything more than that for ourselves either. :sweatdrop:

Weelicious.com has tasty recipes for kids.

Lucha Luch
Feb 25, 2007

vanessa posted:

You don't have to do 15 minutes all in one go. Three five minute tummy times also count. As he gets used to it, you can lengthen how long he spends doing tummy time in one sitting.

Oh, dang, no, I don't just leave him screaming for 15 minutes :) I should've specified - I put him on his tummy until he starts protesting, which is usually like 2 minutes at the most. Sometimes I can get him to be chill for 5 minutes with a baby mirror or his red crab chewy thing, but generally it's just 1-2 minutes.

He's our first and I'm paranoid that every little thing I do is going to warp him in some way. It's maddening and I try not to over think stupid poo poo like that, but here we are.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Dandy Shrew posted:

Oh, dang, no, I don't just leave him screaming for 15 minutes :) I should've specified - I put him on his tummy until he starts protesting, which is usually like 2 minutes at the most. Sometimes I can get him to be chill for 5 minutes with a baby mirror or his red crab chewy thing, but generally it's just 1-2 minutes.

He's our first and I'm paranoid that every little thing I do is going to warp him in some way. It's maddening and I try not to over think stupid poo poo like that, but here we are.

2 minutes is fine. Our son was just like that at 3 months. Now at 7 months he'll spend most of the day on his belly, and is right on track for crawling (he's squirming across the floor, getting on hands/knees and rocking back and forth, etc.). It seemed like he needed to cross a certain threshold of neck/back strength and then tummy time clicked.

bilabial trill
Dec 25, 2008

not just a B

Lullabee posted:

Yeah, we're more than likely going to start with BLW. I might try a few smushed up bananas or avocados in the beginning, but I won't know until then. We're also doing the 'food is for playing/learning' before 1 year. Just to get him ready for it, but more towards getting him in routines.

Thanks for the info on the ikea high chair. I was, and am, debating between it and the space saver. We're going to ikea soon, and will probably end up eating and trying it out there. He's got some chunk, so I'm afraid hell outgrow the ikea chair sooner rather than later.

The ikea chair is bigger than it looks! My almost 3 year old still fits in it. He's tall and average weight.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

shadysight posted:

Ours is 16 months too. She has been doing real food for a while now, and eats what we eat exclusively.

Take a day out of the week and cook food for the upcoming week. That would be the big meal of the day (lunch and/or dinner) and breakfast and brunch are easy this time of year because of all of the fresh veggies and fruits. Add eggs (hard boiled if the 5 minutes to scramble is too much certain days) and that is done.

It's good to get on this now because you will be treating yourself better as well as setting your kid up for success down the line in terms of food.

Edit: for example, this week is Thai rice noodles with mushrooms and tofu, navratan korma and chicken/tofu pot pies. Reuseable (multiple servings each), takes not all of an afternoon to make, stores easily (cook rice or pasta fresh each time when needed) is delicious and tons better then any grocery premade foods. Just google some recipes that are highly rated - it is not hard.

rio fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Jul 3, 2013

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
Yes, very much agree with that. How much prepackaged stuff our kid eats is almost entirely determined by whether we cooked on Sunday. It can help to make "automatic" portions, too. With baby food we did the ice cube tray thing. Now we will cook things like meatloafs and lasagna in muffin tins.

Nobody wants piles of kid-specific poo poo in their house that they don't need, but small tupperware (or whatever) containers are worth it, to us. For packing lunch etc., which we have to do 2-ish times a week, we like the Sumo Snack Stack.

bamzilla
Jan 13, 2005

All butt since 2012.

Lullabee posted:

To give you an idea: my daughter was a super chubby baby and was able to stay in it until she was a little past 2. My son's 1 at the end of the month (omg!) and he's 24lbs and 32 inches tall. It's super roomy on him since he's much slimmer than my daughter was. We just got the chair out again last week :)

Hungry Squirrel
Jun 30, 2008

You gonna eat that?

shadysight posted:

Any suggestions or websites I should check out? I'd like to be able to make a batch of a few different things and then parcel it out over a few days because of the way our schedules are working. We'd feed him more of what we're eating, but all too often that's just a hotdog or a black bean burger without a bun or anything since we haven't made time to cook anything more than that for ourselves either. :sweatdrop:

You can make scrambled eggs in the microwave - 45 seconds and you're done. We would toss that on a plate, or on a bun/bread with cheese. We do frozen veggie burgers, not that those are home-cooking. Pancakes are great, with jelly or peanut butter. Mac and Cheese is always a winner. Add in frozen peas to cool it off faster and you have Mac&Cheese&Peas, which Sam asks for by name. Throw in some tuna and it's all four food groups!

I also pre-cooked, vacuum-sealed, and froze packets of rotini and cubed chicken. Nuke, add frozen / slightly defrosted veggies, and done. When we were eating something really unhealthy, or too spicy, she'd eat that.

And, there's always cereal.

shadysight
Mar 31, 2007

Only slightly crazy
Thank you for the suggestions, everyone. I've actually already been working on cooking during the weekends for the week for myself, but I've had trepidation about depending on the kid eating the sorts of things that my cooking muse comes up with, like spinach/tofu/sweat potato casserole, or red bean and split pea soup. He really did like the latter tonight though, which was a big surprise to me.

Now if only I had written down the recipe.

hookerbot 5000
Dec 21, 2009
Attempt number 42 of potty training seems to have worked, we've been nappyless since Monday (apart from overnight) and apart from a couple of accidents the first time trousers were introduced he's been doing really well. The cue I used this time was I noticed him grabbing at his crotch every now and again when he was wearing nappies and thought maybe it was when he was peeing.

Dreading the first trip out though, we've been staying in or not venturing too far from the house (typical Scottish summer holidays weather).

Konomex
Oct 25, 2010

a whiteman who has some authority over others, who not only hasn't raped anyone, or stared at them creepily...

frenchnewwave posted:

My advice is to not sweat it. Vivian hated tummy time so drat much at that age. I would try to force her on her tummy a few times a day but would only last a minute or so. Now at 7 months she plays and sleeps on her tummy no problem. We held her up a bunch, propped her up with pillows, over the nursing pillow etc so it wasn't like she was flat on her back all day. She mastered neck control with the best of them :)

I'm curious for my next child (we're trying for the second now), what age do children normally develop neck control? My wife's family has this genetic mutation where they're born with total neck control from birth. Might not happen with the next one and I'm a little worried because I never had to bother with the support the neck stuff. The midwives would be all 'Oh no! Support her neck!' and my daughter would just chill holding her head up.

Chickalicious posted:

I have the fisher price booster. We've used that since he started solids at 6 months. It's cheap, easy to clean, and portable (perfect for trips to Nana's, vacations, etc). And now that he's bigger, we use it without the the tray just as a booster seat to our regular table.

Edit: This is the one we have. http://www.amazon.com/Fisher-Price-Healthy-Care-Booster-Green/dp/B004C43JJ4/ref=pd_cp_ba_0 Babies R Us had it on sale one time AND I had a coupon, so I got it for $15. Best baby purchase ever.

Also - we've got this and it's great. The straps can get a bit gunky but I just blast em with a steam cleaner.

shadysight posted:

Thank you for the suggestions, everyone. I've actually already been working on cooking during the weekends for the week for myself, but I've had trepidation about depending on the kid eating the sorts of things that my cooking muse comes up with, like spinach/tofu/sweat potato casserole, or red bean and split pea soup. He really did like the latter tonight though, which was a big surprise to me.

Now if only I had written down the recipe.

Echoing the 'whatever we eat' advice. I'm sure your kid will love whatever messed up food you come up with, unless you're a terrible cook like my father was. Poor man could only ever make spaghetti after 20 years of trying to master the dish. Oh, and he could boil an egg perfectly.

Incongruous
Feb 11, 2003

Now there's something you don't see every day!
Any suggestions for a suddenly picky eater 17-month old? My daughter used to eat pretty much anything, but for the past few months she's been really picky. One day she'll love tomatoes, and two days later they are the most disgusting thing anyone has ever presented her with. Same way with pretty much everything except bread, fruit, and eggs.

We usually give her whatever we're eating for lunch and dinner, but sometimes feel like we need to give her something different if she hasn't eaten enough of what we gave her at first (ie: after she throws all of her cut up bits of pork chop on the ground without even trying it, we'll sometimes make her a turkey sandwich just so she has something in her stomach). I feel like that's setting us up for having to make two dinners (one for her, one for us) for the next 10 years, though.

Do we just wait it out and keep presenting her with a variety of foods that she will feed to the dog about half the time and devour like a starving animal the other half of the time? It just seems like a huge waste of money to keep buying healthy foods for her when she just ends up throwing them on the floor. Any other ideas?

Lucha Luch
Feb 25, 2007

Took my boy to the public health nurse for his 3 month poke-n-prod. Right now he's exclusively breastfed, and I was hoping to keep that going for the first year at least, with starting solids at 6 months. She told me to make sure he drinks water so he doesn't get dehydrated. WTF is this poo poo? Now I feel like I can't trust the nutrition booklet she gave me and I'd kind of like to know what a reliable source on that sort of thing is.

Mr Darcy
Feb 8, 2006

Dandy Shrew posted:

Took my boy to the public health nurse for his 3 month poke-n-prod. Right now he's exclusively breastfed, and I was hoping to keep that going for the first year at least, with starting solids at 6 months. She told me to make sure he drinks water so he doesn't get dehydrated. WTF is this poo poo? Now I feel like I can't trust the nutrition booklet she gave me and I'd kind of like to know what a reliable source on that sort of thing is.

If you can't see yellow pee in his nappy I doubt you'll need to.

We've found that each and every midwife who's seen Alex from the maternity unit at hospital through the the health visitors and everyone in between has a different idea about what you should and shouldn't do. As soon as we realised this we just took the middle ground, ignored stuff we didn't like and tried stuff that made sense. If it worked then we kept doing it, if it didn't work then we stopped.

vanessa
May 21, 2006

CAUTION: This pussy is ferocious.
As long as there's plenty of wet diapers, there's no need to supplement with water. Your baby gets all the water he needs from your milk.

My son was 3 months this time last year, and I just set up camp on the floor (coolest spot and in the path of the fan's breeze) and we nursed in the side lie position A LOT. I also wiped him down with cool washcloths so that he didn't overheat.

Hdip
Aug 21, 2002
http://kellymom.com/nutrition/starting-solids/baby-water/

I recite the first sentence of that article to my mom and mother in law regularly.

Oxford Comma
Jun 26, 2011
Oxford Comma: Hey guys I want a cool big dog to show off! I want it to be ~special~ like Thor but more couch potato-like because I got babbies in the house!
Everybody: GET A LAB.
Oxford Comma: OK! (gets a a pit/catahoula mix)
Don't ask me for a sandwich and when I bring it to you, tell me you are full, you manipulative little goblins!

shadysight
Mar 31, 2007

Only slightly crazy

Incongruous posted:

Any suggestions for a suddenly picky eater 17-month old? My daughter used to eat pretty much anything, but for the past few months she's been really picky. One day she'll love tomatoes, and two days later they are the most disgusting thing anyone has ever presented her with. Same way with pretty much everything except bread, fruit, and eggs.

We usually give her whatever we're eating for lunch and dinner, but sometimes feel like we need to give her something different if she hasn't eaten enough of what we gave her at first (ie: after she throws all of her cut up bits of pork chop on the ground without even trying it, we'll sometimes make her a turkey sandwich just so she has something in her stomach). I feel like that's setting us up for having to make two dinners (one for her, one for us) for the next 10 years, though.

Do we just wait it out and keep presenting her with a variety of foods that she will feed to the dog about half the time and devour like a starving animal the other half of the time? It just seems like a huge waste of money to keep buying healthy foods for her when she just ends up throwing them on the floor. Any other ideas?

I don't think anything is going to work 100%, but what's been helping Nathan recently is that he seems to be back into us feeding him, rather than self feeding, so I get a lot more food into him that way. I can put clumps of oatmeal in front of him all day and he'll just play with it, but if I put bits right in his mouth he can eat a good chunk of my bowl.

Another thing that sometimes works is sharing food more in the sense that I take a bite off something and then offer it to him, and he can take a bite, or I offer him a piece of it then. He seems to get into that some days. Or if I take something off his tray and eat it.

Lucha Luch
Feb 25, 2007

vanessa posted:

As long as there's plenty of wet diapers, there's no need to supplement with water. Your baby gets all the water he needs from your milk.

My son was 3 months this time last year, and I just set up camp on the floor (coolest spot and in the path of the fan's breeze) and we nursed in the side lie position A LOT. I also wiped him down with cool washcloths so that he didn't overheat.

See, I live in Ireland. It's a lot of things here, but hot is not one of them. That's part of why I was so baffled.

AlistairCookie
Apr 1, 2010

I am a Dinosaur
/\/\
Yeah, no water necessary. That's silly. Babies are on an all liquid diet already!

The only time I've ever seen a baby given water for heat was when my friend was adopting from Pakistan and they were staying in an upstairs, un-air-conditioned flat in summertime. In Pakistan. Where it would cool off to the low 90's at night! (So hot, eventually she bought a window unit out of pocket as a gift for the place so she could have some relief.) She would give her an ounce of cool bottled water here and there between feeds.

Oxford Comma
Jun 26, 2011
Oxford Comma: Hey guys I want a cool big dog to show off! I want it to be ~special~ like Thor but more couch potato-like because I got babbies in the house!
Everybody: GET A LAB.
Oxford Comma: OK! (gets a a pit/catahoula mix)
So how do you guys decide on appropriate punishments for bad behavior? I have a very hard time with this. I feel as thought I'm either too soft or far too stern.

Tonite the kids were getting out of the tub. As Mom was drying off the 2-year old, he got a little butt paste on his hands. The 4-year old thought it would be funny to tell him to "rub it in his eyes", which the little one did (albeit no harm seems to have been done.) I overheard Mom yell at him, and told the 4-year old he wasn't going to get his post-bath strawberries that he gets as a snack each night. Did I come down too hard on him, or not hard enough? I really can't loving tell. :smith:

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

That wasn't too hard at all imo, they need to learn there are consequences for their actions, and taking away things they like (or threatening to) when they act up has worked pretty well with my five year old son. Threatening to take away his Lego collection usually straightens him out pretty quick :v:

I've also denied him treats like ice cream if he's been acting out or refusing to eat any of his dinner and that has worked also, not nearly as well as using his Lego as leverage though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

Killer Rabbit of Caerbannog

leica posted:

I've also denied him treats like ice cream if he's been acting out or refusing to eat any of his dinner and that has worked also, not nearly as well as using his Lego as leverage though.

I get such poo poo from friends when I discipline my 2 1/2-year old kid in front of them, mostly because they feel I am too harsh with him. Some of these people have kids of their own, and discipline inconsistently at best. I do things like actually follow through when I count to three, so much so that I have left playdates or restaurants if my kid is acting up and not behaving himself. I figure, he needs to learn there are consequences for your actions. I have taken away his books and toy cars at home for acting out, and then given them back when he's been a good kid for a decent amount of time, maybe half a day or so. It's a struggle, finding the right balance, but I think as long as your kid knows there are consequences and changes their behavior accordingly then you are doing a good job as a parent.

I have a few friends who rush through saying "1, 2" and then "I mean it!" but never actually discipline their kids. These kids frequently run down the street while giggling, or throw whole meals on the ground while their parents plead for them to behave. It drives me mad, much like it probably drives them mad the way I stay on top of my kid.

My main goal is to not let my kid grow up to be an rear end in a top hat. I want him to understand he needs to listen to me when I give him instructions, he needs to be a good friend to people, and keep his hands to himself and not take toys from other kids. I try not to ride his rear end too harshly, and I make sure he has plenty of "being a kid" time while still trying to teach him basic, decent rules of social living. So far, he stays with me and his baby sister without running off, he's a pleasant dining companion and he's consistently (and sometimes spontaneously) saying stuff like "please" "thank you" and "sorry". But he's also a toddler, constantly pushing boundaries, and it's a daily struggle to recognize that, give him room to be a kid, but still try and give him enough parameters to learn to be a decent human being.