Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

clayburn posted:

You might check out https://lift.do/. It is a habit tracking app/web service where you set a habit of "Go to the gym" and check it off every day that you do it. I don't think it quite has the UI you described (I haven't used it in a while), but it is one solution to the problem you are trying to solve.

Tenterhooks posted:

Again, not quite the calendar view you're looking for (although there is a calendar-ish overview in the web app) but https://chains.cc/ is another simple activity tracker that's pretty good. It's based around not 'breaking the chain' of things you want to do regularly (like going to the gym). It's one click to update and displays your progress really clearly.
Thanks for the recommendations. I'm pretty open to different ways of scratching this itch so I'll give these a shot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Ahahahaha, just downloaded the new update for Yahoo Weather and it looks like they restored the original app icon. I guess enough people clamored for its return after the less than enthusiastic response to the new one :haw:

It's not the same as the old one. This one is fairly refined looking - the original was a hideous fisher price thing.

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

Yeah, this one's got a gradient. Much improved. :)

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010
They need to just ditch the idea of putting the Yahoo logo on there already. The purple is good enough. It would look loads better with just the cloud and the sun, but I agree that this icon is the best one of all of them.

It also looks very similar to the iOS 7 weather icon.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

Is it just me, or is the Google Hangouts iOS app absolutely dire? It constantly crashes, logs me out, and displays a notification count that never seems to have any numerical bearing on the content within the app?

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

DarkJC posted:

They need to just ditch the idea of putting the Yahoo logo on there already. The purple is good enough. It would look loads better with just the cloud and the sun, but I agree that this icon is the best one of all of them.

It also looks very similar to the iOS 7 weather icon.

The app used to just show up as "Weather" too, which was pretty funny right next to the stock weather app before I moved that one into my "Unused" folder. Now Yahoo Weather shows up as "Weather•". Or maybe it's "Weather®"? Whatever it is is really small so I can't tell. But either way, I know which app it is just looking at the icon.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer

Kenny Logins posted:

Thanks for the recommendations. I'm pretty open to different ways of scratching this itch so I'll give these a shot.

The Lift devs are cool people. If you are good enough and track habits for a while consistently they will invite you to be a "Power Lifter" and you get to see interviews/ideas and you can talk directly to the lead devs about stuff.

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010

Lexicon posted:

Is it just me, or is the Google Hangouts iOS app absolutely dire? It constantly crashes, logs me out, and displays a notification count that never seems to have any numerical bearing on the content within the app?

It behaves oddly for me too sometimes. I'll get a notification but the message won't be there inside the app itself. Other times I'll get double notifications for the same message. Sometimes I'll get no notification at all and then realize I missed a message when opening the app up later, or I'll look at the message but the app still displays a badge as if I hadn't.

edit: This all being said, if they can fix these issues it's a great cross-platform messaging app. Nice to be able to have my history instantly reflected across all the devices I'm using without having to think about it.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

clayburn posted:

You might check out https://lift.do/. It is a habit tracking app/web service where you set a habit of "Go to the gym" and check it off every day that you do it. I don't think it quite has the UI you described (I haven't used it in a while), but it is one solution to the problem you are trying to solve.
As it turns out, between this and Chains, Lift wins. Chains is good but it doesn't really support 2 days on 1 day off chains, where Lift doesn't care. It also has a nicer UI that presents historical data quite well in a few different, useful ways. I don't care about the social aspect but it affects nothing and is unobtrusive.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

The app used to just show up as "Weather" too, which was pretty funny right next to the stock weather app before I moved that one into my "Unused" folder. Now Yahoo Weather shows up as "Weather•". Or maybe it's "Weather®"? Whatever it is is really small so I can't tell. But either way, I know which app it is just looking at the icon.
Facebook Camera did the same thing for a release or two, then changed from Camera to Camera•.

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010
They were probably nudged in that direction by Apple app reviewers. They probably don't want 3rd party apps with the same display name as system apps.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

Can anyone recommend an app to generate strings, possibly involving dates, etc?

I want an app that'll give me the same output as

code:
echo `date +%Y-%m-%d` "=>"
I use this format for the title of my Evernote snaps of receipts and so on. Ideally, I could open the app, generate then copy that string, and paste it into evernote as the title.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

If you have a personal website, you could probably whip something up in a few minutes with php or js, and then use Safari to make a springboard shortcut.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

xzzy posted:

If you have a personal website, you could probably whip something up in a few minutes with php or js, and then use Safari to make a springboard shortcut.

That was my first impulse, and I almost did it. I'm trying to get better at using existing things though, and not immediately hacking things together :)

hey girl you up
May 21, 2001

Forum Nice Guy

Lexicon posted:

code:
I use this format for the title of my Evernote snaps of receipts and so on. Ideally, I could open the app, generate then copy that string, and paste it into evernote as the title.

Not exactly the way you want it, but you can create a blank note in Drafts, and then have an action to send it to Evernote with [[date]] as your title.

edit: Drafts has a copy to clipboard action too, so you could just create a note with [[date]] in it, and copy that to clipboard repeatedly.

TextExpander might do the trick too. Shame Evernote doesn't implement the TextExpander API, but maybe one of the independent Evernote apps does.

hey girl you up fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Jul 4, 2013

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
I bought Air Video for my new iPad 4 and it buffers horribly no matter how small the video is. On the computer it is pulling the files from, I have a ton of TV shows I ripped from my DVD collection to xvid; one of the files is only 200MB, and my iPad is struggling, buffering every 5 seconds even though I changed the bitrate for live conversion to a measly 512kbps. I am literally 3 feet from my FiOS wifi router.

Is there something that works better than this for "live conversion"?

Lazlo Nibble
Jan 9, 2004

It was Weasleby, by God! At last I had the miserable blighter precisely where I wanted him!

Miyamotos RGB NES posted:

I bought Air Video for my new iPad 4 and it buffers horribly no matter how small the video is. On the computer it is pulling the files from, I have a ton of TV shows I ripped from my DVD collection to xvid; one of the files is only 200MB, and my iPad is struggling, buffering every 5 seconds even though I changed the bitrate for live conversion to a measly 512kbps. I am literally 3 feet from my FiOS wifi router.
Changing apps probably won't help—Air Video's live conversion happens on the server side, so it's your computer that's struggling. I have the same model iPad as you, and Air Video has no problems playing 1080i MPEG2 movie/TV rips from my TiVo, live-converted at 1536kbps over 802.11g WiFi.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Lazlo Nibble posted:

Changing apps probably won't help—Air Video's live conversion happens on the server side, so it's your computer that's struggling. I have the same model iPad as you, and Air Video has no problems playing 1080i MPEG2 movie/TV rips from my TiVo, live-converted at 1536kbps over 802.11g WiFi.

Are you saying the computer could be too slow or something? I kind of want something low-powered for a server that's going to be on 24/7. Does it need to be pretty beefy just to use Air Video? It serves 1080p videos over to my htpcs just fine, though I know that's not transcoding and is kind of apples to oranges.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Yes, transcoding is a mainly CPU dependent task. What type of system are these files on?

Lazlo Nibble
Jan 9, 2004

It was Weasleby, by God! At last I had the miserable blighter precisely where I wanted him!

Are you saying the computer could be too slow or something? I kind of want something low-powered for a server that's going to be on 24/7. Does it need to be pretty beefy just to use Air Video?
It has to be pretty beefy to do what you're doing, but that has nothing to do with Air Video as such; you'll have the same issues no matter what software you're using. If you're serving videos in a format the player (Air Video, your HTPC, whatever) can handle natively, then you don't need any CPU to speak of on the server side—from the the server's perspective it's just a file transfer. But if you need to convert them in real time you need a reasonably powerful setup to do that conversion, regardless of what you're using to play the output.

I'm assuming it took a while for your system to convert your DVDs to DiVx in the first place. You're effectively doing the exact same thing all over again when you ask the Air Video server to transcode those videos for the iPad.

Air Video lets you mark content for offline conversion so the server can go off and do its thing but you do have to either plan ahead what you want to watch or be willing to wait a while for the conversion.

terriyaki
Nov 10, 2003

I have an old '07 2.0Ghz C2D Mac mini that I use as my torrent box/media server/Air Video server and I've never once had issues with it being able to stream Air Video content to my iPhone or iPad over wifi or 3G/LTE.

Maybe it's a networking connectivity issue?

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
Yeah a 2ghz Core 2 is enough (although the initial buffer and seeking will be slow), I'm thinking maybe he's using an Atom/lower power CPU level machine as his serving box. Instead of bitrate try messing with quality or resolution (whichever settings are there).

Squinty Applebottom
Jan 1, 2013

Lexicon posted:

code:

textexpander

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

japtor posted:

Yeah a 2ghz Core 2 is enough (although the initial buffer and seeking will be slow), I'm thinking maybe he's using an Atom/lower power CPU level machine as his serving box. Instead of bitrate try messing with quality or resolution (whichever settings are there).

Yeah it's a very low-powered machine; think iON/Atom. I just didn't want to have to have a power-hog running 24/7; it's not that I was trying to be cheap.

Thanks for the help anyway though, everyone. No way in hell I'm converting everything to Mp4 permanently, though!

Lazlo Nibble
Jan 9, 2004

Yeah it's a very low-powered machine; think iON/Atom. I just didn't want to have to have a power-hog running 24/7; it's not that I was trying to be cheap.
FWIW that's kind of a false economy nowadays as modern desktop CPUs don't use much power unless they actually need it to do real work. The setup I mentioned above runs a Core i5-2500k, which draws under 5W at idle.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Lazlo Nibble posted:

FWIW that's kind of a false economy nowadays as modern desktop CPUs don't use much power unless they actually need it to do real work. The setup I mentioned above runs a Core i5-2500k, which draws under 5W at idle.

Thanks for the suggestion. I do have an AMD tower laying around that I did some mid-tier "gaming" on, back when AMD was a serious competitor to Intel. It's an AMD64; hopefully it's not a power-sucker and can do this AirPlay thing just fine.

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002
I asked about the original tapatalk app a while back when it was on sale. I ended up not buying it, and now it's free. I guess they are going to make money off things like a color pack for $4.99 or a pin code for 99¢ instead.

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

Are you saying the computer could be too slow or something? I kind of want something low-powered for a server that's going to be on 24/7. Does it need to be pretty beefy just to use Air Video? It serves 1080p videos over to my htpcs just fine, though I know that's not transcoding and is kind of apples to oranges.

It's also possible that the AirVideo server just decided to not work on your computer. That happened to me about a 8-9 months ago. It was working perfectly one day, and then all of a sudden would take 4-5 minutes to start any video, and buffers every 5 seconds. And I know it's not a CPU power issue (i5 2500K overclocked to 4.5GHz). I've uninstalled it completely, along with any codec packs I had installed that might be conflicting, and it hasn't helped at all. It starts up the transcoder just fine, but it just sits there at 0% CPU usage, and only blips every now and then.

It sucks, I miss AirVideo. :( I got StreamToMe, but it doesn't have as good control over the video quality, and always uses really bad quality, even on my local WiFi network.

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.
Plex can be used the same way as AirVideo except it offers even more functionality. The free service will do all you need except the iOS app is $5

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

You just fucked with the wrong Mexican.
Air Playit HD is very similar to Airvideo and works well for me - I have both and use Air Playit.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Schpyder posted:

It's also possible that the AirVideo server just decided to not work on your computer. That happened to me about a 8-9 months ago. It was working perfectly one day, and then all of a sudden would take 4-5 minutes to start any video, and buffers every 5 seconds. And I know it's not a CPU power issue (i5 2500K overclocked to 4.5GHz). I've uninstalled it completely, along with any codec packs I had installed that might be conflicting, and it hasn't helped at all. It starts up the transcoder just fine, but it just sits there at 0% CPU usage, and only blips every now and then.

It sucks, I miss AirVideo. :( I got StreamToMe, but it doesn't have as good control over the video quality, and always uses really bad quality, even on my local WiFi network.
That makes it sound like something is up with your network actually.

Axiem
Oct 19, 2005

I want to leave my mind blank, but I'm terrified of what will happen if I do
Once upon a time, when I deleted apps from my iTunes library, I kept the files. That, coupled with a bug that apparently didn't delete old versions of apps when you updated them means that my folder of apps is huge. I didn't realize it until I got a new Mac and started having to copy/backup that folder.

Is there an easy way to go through and identify the ones that are no longer referenced in iTunes? (From there, it would be easy to delete them). I don't want to just delete and restore from my iPhone and iPad, as there are some apps that aren't on there that I want to keep, and some that are no longer on the store that I'd like to keep.

So, just a way to easily identify the ones I can delete indiscriminately would be nice.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

It might make more sense to move the entire folder somewhere else on your hard drive, then move back into iTunes the ones you know you want.

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

Are there any good bluetooth or wifi mouse and keyboard apps? I would like to use my iPad and/or iPhone to control my Mac Mini HTPC setup (too fat and lazy to get off the couch).

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

porktree posted:

Air Playit HD is very similar to Airvideo and works well for me - I have both and use Air Playit.

Hey this one does music as well as video. I'll look into it, thanks.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

slomomofo posted:

Are there any good bluetooth or wifi mouse and keyboard apps? I would like to use my iPad and/or iPhone to control my Mac Mini HTPC setup (too fat and lazy to get off the couch).

The people who do Splashtop do an iPhone mouse thing that works for me

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Axiem posted:

Once upon a time, when I deleted apps from my iTunes library, I kept the files. That, coupled with a bug that apparently didn't delete old versions of apps when you updated them means that my folder of apps is huge. I didn't realize it until I got a new Mac and started having to copy/backup that folder.

Is there an easy way to go through and identify the ones that are no longer referenced in iTunes? (From there, it would be easy to delete them). I don't want to just delete and restore from my iPhone and iPad, as there are some apps that aren't on there that I want to keep, and some that are no longer on the store that I'd like to keep.

So, just a way to easily identify the ones I can delete indiscriminately would be nice.

If you go into the settings for iTunes and tell it to use another folder from the library, and then have it consolidate your library, it will copy over only the files that it has linked. Then you delete the old folder, and move them back (this time just moving the files yourself, and then picking the folder again, as it would just be an identical copy).

Axiem
Oct 19, 2005

I want to leave my mind blank, but I'm terrified of what will happen if I do

IUG posted:

If you go into the settings for iTunes and tell it to use another folder from the library, and then have it consolidate your library, it will copy over only the files that it has linked. Then you delete the old folder, and move them back (this time just moving the files yourself, and then picking the folder again, as it would just be an identical copy).

Won't that consolidate all my music tracks too? I'm not sure I particularly like that idea...

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Axiem posted:

Won't that consolidate all my music tracks too? I'm not sure I particularly like that idea...

Yeah, it will, but it's the only way I can think of to get rid of old stuff in bulk that's built in to the program.

EDIT: Oh poo poo, in my checking to see if there was a way, I just found that I also have multiple copies of apps because they're keeping a few copies of previous versions. However, they have version numbers, so I'm just getting rid of the lower numbers.

IUG fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Jul 7, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

porktree posted:

Schpyder posted:

benisntfunny posted:

Plex can be used the same way as AirVideo except it offers even more functionality. The free service will do all you need except the iOS app is $5

Thanks for all these responses. I am going to try all of these out before doing the arduous task of building a new server. As a matter of fact, I had no idea Plex was even a legit iOS app. For some reason, I thought it was a "jailbreak" program. :shobon:

• Locked thread