Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Manny
Jun 15, 2001

Like fruitcake!

Mercurius posted:

I have exactly the same issue on some of the monitors on the hot desk workstations at one of our satellite offices. I'm fairly sure it's ML's handling of mini-DP to DVI that's the problem so I'd suggest using a mini-DP to DisplayPort cable if you can get your hands on one.

I tried swapping the 3rd party cable for an Apple miniDP/DVI adapter and an old chunky DVI cable and it works perfectly now so either ML is a bit more sensitive towards cable quality or it has some type of authentication system to make you use Apple-only accessories? :confused:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

Manny posted:

I tried swapping the 3rd party cable for an Apple miniDP/DVI adapter and an old chunky DVI cable and it works perfectly now so either ML is a bit more sensitive towards cable quality or it has some type of authentication system to make you use Apple-only accessories? :confused:
It's funny, because my issue was with an Apple mini-DP to DVI dongle. I guess we just chalk it up to sensitivity.

Selklubber
Jul 11, 2010
My Valueline mini-dp to dp cable worked fine on my U2412M, maybe its something with the retina settings or input selection on the monitor?

tirinal
Feb 5, 2007
Back to School just started, with $100 or $50 gift cards for macs and iOS devices, respectively. Not bad.

Also no rMPB silent refresh, so it looks like we won't see Haswell retinas until after September when BTS ends.

smallmouth
Oct 1, 2009

Do they honor purchases within the last 30 days?

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
14, and only sometimes.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Manny posted:

Does one of them have the analog pins (two on top, and below the flat connector pin)? I've had to shuffle adapters around the office between Macs and monitors to find combinations that work. Some will work with certain monitors and some won't.

Selklubber
Jul 11, 2010

smallmouth posted:

Do they honor purchases within the last 30 days?

I just called Apple and they gave me the gift card! I bought my Air 11.5. :toot:
Are the OS upgrades sold in the app store and how much do they usually cost?

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Selklubber posted:

I just called Apple and they gave me the gift card! I bought my Air 11.5. :toot:

Upgrades are only $20, there's often promos for free upgrades too.

smallmouth
Oct 1, 2009

Selklubber posted:

Yeah, I called and I'm getting one too. I think the 14 days must be within shipment, not order.

Cool Matty
Jan 8, 2006
Usuyami no Sekai
I called as well, and they said they'll send it through to get the gift card.

And this shouldn't be any surprise, but make sure you call, not try the web chat. The web chat is useless.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Ok, so now that there's no haswell in the MBPs for back to school, I need to pull the trigger on one for my nephew. He really wants a 15", although I've asked him to take another look at the 13" retina mbps and airs.

Are the 15" retina MBPs still kind of a crapshoot with the displays? He's not doing anything super fancy with it, although he does have giant gorilla hands, which may be why he's been leaning towards the 15" models.

shodanjr_gr
Nov 20, 2007

Selklubber posted:

When did your receive your mac? I bought mine June 13th from a retail store and they wouldn't give it to me, saying that there's a 14 day window from the day of receiving the product.

Selklubber
Jul 11, 2010
I got it 26 june. Did you talk to the store or Apple on the phone? Maybe it's because I talked to a danish guy.

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

Maneki Neko posted:

Ok, so now that there's no haswell in the MBPs for back to school, I need to pull the trigger on one for my nephew. He really wants a 15", although I've asked him to take another look at the 13" retina mbps and airs.

Are the 15" retina MBPs still kind of a crapshoot with the displays? He's not doing anything super fancy with it, although he does have giant gorilla hands, which may be why he's been leaning towards the 15" models.

Gorilla hands shouldn't matter. Every MacBook has the same size keyboard, from the 11" Air to the 15" MBP/rMBP.

If he's high school/early college age, he is asking for the 15" rMBP because it's the most expensive and therefore obviously the best, no matter what his needs actually are.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Space Gopher posted:

Gorilla hands shouldn't matter. Every MacBook has the same size keyboard, from the 11" Air to the 15" MBP/rMBP.

If he's high school/early college age, he is asking for the 15" rMBP because it's the most expensive and therefore obviously the best, no matter what his needs actually are.

He actually didn't ask for the retina, just the regular 15" MBP, but I was looking at the retina as a "man this is probably going to be a nicer machine 3-4 years down the line" option.

b0red
Apr 3, 2013

Maneki Neko posted:

He actually didn't ask for the retina, just the regular 15" MBP, but I was looking at the retina as a "man this is probably going to be a nicer machine 3-4 years down the line" option.

Well I was going to say might as well just get the best 15" MBP but than I looked and noticed they don't even offer similar specc'd ones anymore. Whack. I guess it's up to you and how much cash you want to drop.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

tirinal posted:

Also no rMPB silent refresh, so it looks like we won't see Haswell retinas until after September when BTS ends.

Please tell me there's a possibility of a silent refresh before then. I've only got my company laptop right now since I've been waiting for the new rMBP to drop w/ Haswell. I don't know if I can hold out for another 3 months.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

b0red posted:

Well I was going to say might as well just get the best 15" MBP but than I looked and noticed they don't even offer similar specc'd ones anymore.

Where did you see that? The processor upgrades are in the BTO options and I wouldn't buy a RAM upgrade from Apple unless the chips were soldered to the board.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Dangerllama posted:

Please tell me there's a possibility of a silent refresh before then. I've only got my company laptop right now since I've been waiting for the new rMBP to drop w/ Haswell. I don't know if I can hold out for another 3 months.

It's pretty likely they're waiting on Thunderbolt 2. Just buy when you need it.

bee burger
Nov 4, 2011
Where did you all buy BTO MBA's? It looks like B&H has the best deal right now because of no sales tax plus you get some software or something. Anyone order Macs from them before? OP doesn't mention them.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

bee burger posted:

Where did you all buy BTO MBA's? It looks like B&H has the best deal right now because of no sales tax plus you get some software or something. Anyone order Macs from them before? OP doesn't mention them.

B&H also occasionally has nice combo deals if you want to save on the Applecare cost.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I've bought my 2012 Macbook Air, iMac, and a couple iPads from them.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Maneki Neko posted:

For what it's worth, I have giant gorilla hands (point of reference: can press both shift keys on a standard size keyboard with one hand) and the 13" MBA works fine for me.

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

And you thought they were cute and cuddly.

Ok I'm at a bit of a crossroads. I had a '09 MBP that I recently gave to my parents and I'm looking to replace it. Right now for about the same price I can either get a Late 2011 13" MBP or a Mid 2012 13" MBA. The big thing going for the MBP is that I already have an Samsung 840 SSD and 16gb of ram I can just slap in it.

My '09 MBP was mostly used for bed/couch surfing, some Lightroom, light steam gaming (like FTL), and some Python. I already have a desktop at home that I use for heavy lifting and gaming.

Should I go ahead and get the MBA, sell the ram, and just get a Thunderbolt or USB3 enclosure for the SSD? Or should I go the MBP route?

Edit: The anandtech review of the 2011 MBA seems to have me leaning towards the MBP.

JayKay fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Jul 2, 2013

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

flavor posted:

That may be the latest version of Photoshop CS 6, but it's not the latest release of Photoshop. That would be Photoshop CC. Does that also have the problem? Maybe I'll check it myself in a bit.

Also, Wikipedia is mentioning a Photoshop CS 6 version 13.1.2.

e: I've checked Photoshop CC on my 2013 11" MBA, and that's version 14.0. I doodled a little with the brush, no flicker. I guess maybe I need to do more?

I don't have Photoshop CC and Adobe's updater says I'm at the latest version for everything I've got installed (basically half of the Creative Suite I guess). I've noticed that the flickering tends to happen more when you're zoomed in on something, but like I said earlier I've got no idea what actually causes it since I could be using a tool for like half an hour and then it'll start flickering like crazy.

One tool that seems to start the flickering pretty early on is the Spot Healing Brush though, try using that I guess?

e: one thing that seems to be reproducible is just selecting the Spot Healing Brush (zoomed in) and going out of the image's boundary (to the gray areas on the sides). Does that happen for you?

Beeftweeter fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Jul 2, 2013

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

JayKay posted:

Ok I'm at a bit of a crossroads. I had a '09 MBP that I recently gave to my parents and I'm looking to replace it. Right now for about the same price I can either get a Late 2011 13" MBP or a Mid 2012 13" MBA. The big thing going for the MBP is that I already have an Samsung 840 SSD and 16gb of ram I can just slap in it.

My '09 MBP was mostly used for bed/couch surfing, some Lightroom, light steam gaming (like FTL), and some Python. I already have a desktop at home that I use for heavy lifting and gaming.

Should I go ahead and get the MBA, sell the ram, and just get a Thunderbolt or USB3 enclosure for the SSD? Or should I go the MBP route?

Edit: The anandtech review of the 2011 MBA seems to have me leaning towards the MBP.

It's really up to you- you could probably go either way without really making a "wrong" decision.

From what you describe it looks like you want something more portable than powerful (not that the stuff you've described doing would really tax either computer). If you don't absolutely need the extra storage space onboard that the SSD would give you or the benefits of all that extra RAM, then I'd definitely go with the Air, but that's just my personal preference. It's going to be substantially more comfortable to use on a couch/bed than an MBP will.

A 2012 Air is also significantly more powerful than a 2011- especially for GPU stuff- so I wouldn't use the Anandtech review as the final word on the matter.

dox
Mar 4, 2006
I have a latest generation (thin) iMac as well as an older, thick unibody iMac. I want to use the older iMac as a second monitor for the new iMac. The new iMac only has Thunderbolt whilst the older one has Mini DisplayPort. I'm a bit confused, is Thunderbolt backwards compatible with MDP? Can I just use a MDP -> MDP plug and that will go into the Thunderbolt port and work just fine?

kuskus
Oct 20, 2007

If you put the old iMac in Target Display Mode using a standard MDP to MDP cable you should be fine. I did this with a 2012 Air to my '09 iMac.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

dox posted:

I have a latest generation (thin) iMac as well as an older, thick unibody iMac. I want to use the older iMac as a second monitor for the new iMac. The new iMac only has Thunderbolt whilst the older one has Mini DisplayPort. I'm a bit confused, is Thunderbolt backwards compatible with MDP? Can I just use a MDP -> MDP plug and that will go into the Thunderbolt port and work just fine?

Yep. You won't be able to use any of the ports on the old iMac as you would with a thunderbolt display, but the new one should recognize it as a display. It would only be a problem if you were trying to do the opposite.

Edit: beaten

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

Praise be to China's Covid-Zero Policy

Quine Connoisseur posted:

I don't have Photoshop CC and Adobe's updater says I'm at the latest version for everything I've got installed (basically half of the Creative Suite I guess).

Sounds like you may not have a Creative Cloud subscription, because then the updater would have updated itself into a new and different one that offers you to download Photoshop CC.

Quine Connoisseur posted:

One tool that seems to start the flickering pretty early on is the Spot Healing Brush though, try using that I guess?

e: one thing that seems to be reproducible is just selecting the Spot Healing Brush (zoomed in) and going out of the image's boundary (to the gray areas on the sides). Does that happen for you?

Not at all. I've only tried it for a few minutes though. I did zoom in. The outline of the tool changed from black to white when I exited the image. I guess that's the trigger for the flickering where it occurs.

I'm sure that the issue exists in some versions of PS, but it looks like a software or driver issue. Also it's with an older version of PS. (I know CS6 isn't on the old side of old, but it's not current).

Big City Drinkin
Oct 9, 2007

A very good

Fallen Rib
This might be a dumb question, but does the "put hard disks to sleep when possible" option in Energy Saver mean anything if you have an SSD? I thought "sleep" in this context meant that the mechanical portions of regular HDDs would be deactivated, but is there some SSD analog?

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets.

Big City Drinkin posted:

This might be a dumb question, but does the "put hard disks to sleep when possible" option in Energy Saver mean anything if you have an SSD? I thought "sleep" in this context meant that the mechanical portions of regular HDDs would be deactivated, but is there some SSD analog?

For an SSD it likely means inform the OS the drives are 'sleeping' which would reduce disk thrashing. Even though the SSD doesn't have moving parts, it'll still use less power if you're invoking it less. Same concepts apply even if they seem less sensible.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

flavor posted:

Sounds like you may not have a Creative Cloud subscription, because then the updater would have updated itself into a new and different one that offers you to download Photoshop CC.

Not at all. I've only tried it for a few minutes though. I did zoom in. The outline of the tool changed from black to white when I exited the image. I guess that's the trigger for the flickering where it occurs.

I'm sure that the issue exists in some versions of PS, but it looks like a software or driver issue. Also it's with an older version of PS. (I know CS6 isn't on the old side of old, but it's not current).

Yeah I don't have a Creative Cloud subscription (got the Master Suite through a school I don't go to anymore). Interesting that it doesn't seem to occur on later versions; thanks for testing this out, if a fix isn't pushed out I guess I'll see about upgrading.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Big City Drinkin posted:

Sure, they do still use power when idle:

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/SSD/305

Not nearly as much as a HDD of course, but it's still possible to implement a "sleep" state which shuts things down to save power. Processor cores (SSDs usually have an ARM or two), clock generation circuits, DRAM refresh (SSDs usually have a bit of local DRAM to cache data structures), and so on.

P.N.T.M.
Jan 14, 2006

tiny dinosaurs
Fun Shoe
What is the support for third-party multiple button mice? Will any 5-button be plug and play? And would a tilt-wheel replace the functionality of the mm's ball?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Most mice have support on OSX. I've used many different Logitech and MS mice, including the MX Revolution and all the buttons worked.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

I think it depends on whether Logitech (or whoever) has Mac drivers out. I had to manually map the buttons on my G400 with USB Overdrive, but my Performance MX (the one after the Revolution, I think) worked without configuration.

dahkren
Jan 11, 2006
Uh, hopefully this question isn't inappropriate for the thread but, I'm wondering if it's possible to install mac osx onto a USB hard drive?

And more importantly, is it possible to install it onto the drive from a windows PC?

Edit: Holy poo poo I looked for a mac software thread too, I'm retarded. Thanks I'll figure out another solution for it!

dahkren fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Jul 3, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

dahkren posted:

Uh, hopefully this question isn't inappropriate for the thread but, I'm wondering if it's possible to install mac osx onto a USB hard drive?

And more importantly, is it possible to install it onto the drive from a windows PC?

Not really the right thread for this and there is no legal way to install Mac onto anything from a Windows PC.

My guess is that, No, USB doesn't work for the OS but I could be wrong. I think only Thunderbolt/Firewire will work.