Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cenzo
Dec 5, 2003

'roux mad?

JetsGuy posted:

I was told that if you're going into the boards with your noggin, try to hit it face first (yeah I know, ouch).

This is what the Neurosurgeon on our team tells all the new guys. We call him "grandpa."

It's the same thing they teach in football, you want to keep your head up. Leading with the crown of your head is a good way to give yourself some lasting injury, including paralysis.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

WeaselWeaz posted:

New skater checking in. I
I was strongly encouraged by the instructor to get pads, any pads, for the love of God get some pads because I will fall down. I picked up a pair of cheap in-line knee and elbow pads, does that sound good enough to start with? If I take the next levels of hockey classes I figured I'd invest in some used equipment from Play It Again Sports, but I don't want to drop $60 on pads off the bat.

Not sure what size you are, but it doesn't get much more cheap than this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Adult-Ice-H...=item4174944b69

I'd upgrade almost everything immediately upon actually liking it and playing it but drat, $60 covers the helmet and gloves, the rest is gravy. There's poo poo like this on eBay all of the time, and that stuff is so old it probably doesn't smell like the devil's taint anymore

flakeloaf posted:

This sentence would end my conversation with the official and start one with the league manager guy.

Serious question -- has anything ever come of this? I've seen some ludicrous poo poo before and never heard anything come of it, and I've been officiating when this type of thing was threatened and I never heard from anyone in the league about the incidents (tbh they were pretty tame). It just all seems very circumstantial and wasting breath, putting the league director in the position of "I didn't see it and everyone usually exaggerates poo poo". But the leagues I play for and officiated for are notoriously lovely when it comes to about everything so I dunno if in my case it's just people cooling off and getting lazy about actually emailing anyone about it.

xzzy posted:

The house league I've been playing with specifically forbids talking with the refs to avoid situations like that. Makes sense because every time I've seen a skater open his mouth while looking at a ref, he's been sent to the box regardless of content. Don't know if officials that surly are the norm but it sure guarantees I don't want anything to do with them.

If you can't talk to the officials who are you supposed to chirp? :v:

But drat, I understand the intention of that policy, but it really seems to hurt any sort of educational process, especially at your level xzzy. If you can keep up a positive relationship with you they'll explain stuff, joke with you, and generally make a fun game. I always appreciate their perspective even if I disagree and most aren't surely until they need to be. Is your league full of try-hards or something? Are you allowed to even give them a fist bump at the end of the game?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

sellouts posted:

But drat, I understand the intention of that policy, but it really seems to hurt any sort of educational process, especially at your level xzzy. If you can keep up a positive relationship with you they'll explain stuff, joke with you, and generally make a fun game. I always appreciate their perspective even if I disagree and most aren't surely until they need to be. Is your league full of try-hards or something? Are you allowed to even give them a fist bump at the end of the game?

There's maybe a handful of tryhards in a league of about 90 players.. so they're there, but not en masse. Most of them probably shouldn't be playing at the instructional level but they're allowed to hang around because they get used to balance out the teams and they help a lot with the clinics. I'm sure their money spends just as nicely as well.

Handshakes after the game are not an issue and a few guys make a point of doing it. I just don't bother unless the refs initiate the joking because the grumpy refs are seriously no fun to interact with.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Well it's a shame you can't interact with them. They're a great resource and a lot better to ask situational questions than someone who didn't see exactly what you were talking about. Oh well!

Btw, how are your games going? Do you feel like you're making progress? How is the team doing?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The summer team is 3-1 but not due to anything I've done.. I actually feel like I'm playing worse this time around.

I think I'm getting the mechanics of playing a the position and transition game better.. so maybe the "being worse" has to do with the fact that my brain is outpacing my skating. I'm still laughably horrid on my outside edges.

My stickhandling is shittier too, the composite stick I got has a really stupid curve and I have a habit of losing the puck. But I tried going back to my wood stick and hated it even more, so I guess I'm stuck!

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

xzzy posted:

The summer team is 3-1 but not due to anything I've done.. I actually feel like I'm playing worse this time around.

I think I'm getting the mechanics of playing a the position and transition game better.. so maybe the "being worse" has to do with the fact that my brain is outpacing my skating. I'm still laughably horrid on my outside edges.

My stickhandling is shittier too, the composite stick I got has a really stupid curve and I have a habit of losing the puck. But I tried going back to my wood stick and hated it even more, so I guess I'm stuck!

:smug: My summer league team is 9-1.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

Something amazing happened tonight in class.

I hockey stopped.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

Minto Took posted:

I hockey stopped.

Owns dude, I remember the first time that I did that without face planting. Felt awesome.

Now, go do it on the other side!

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

Minto Took posted:

I hockey stopped.

Awesome.

After playing ice for 10+ years, I still don't know how to correctly stop. I just use my front foot.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Minto Took posted:

I hockey stopped.

This was the greatest moment of my life when I did my first hockey stop. Congrats!

WeaselWeaz
Apr 11, 2004

Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Biscuits and Gravy.

sellouts posted:

Not sure what size you are, but it doesn't get much more cheap than this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Adult-Ice-H...=item4174944b69

I'd upgrade almost everything immediately upon actually liking it and playing it but drat, $60 covers the helmet and gloves, the rest is gravy. There's poo poo like this on eBay all of the time, and that stuff is so old it probably doesn't smell like the devil's taint anymore

Thanks for the link. I have no idea what size fits and I'm really trying to hold off on spending for a while. Right now I'm trying to morally decide how long it takes for the perfect fitting Bauer skates at the lost and found to become fair game.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES
So, taking a slapshot on the inside of your wrist HURTS LIKE A MOTHERFUCKER.

I do not have full range of motion today. OUCH.

Psmith
May 7, 2007
The p is silent, as in phthisis, psychic, and ptarmigan.

Minto Took posted:

I hockey stopped.

Was there something that finally clicked for you? If so, do you have any suggestions? I've recently started playing and while I'm comfortable with most aspects of skating I cannot, for the life of me, figure this out. I've been going to the public skate before the open hockey and trying it out on fresh ice and I just can't get it right.

Fingat
May 17, 2004

Shhh. My Common Sense is Tingling

Psmith posted:

Was there something that finally clicked for you? If so, do you have any suggestions? I've recently started playing and while I'm comfortable with most aspects of skating I cannot, for the life of me, figure this out. I've been going to the public skate before the open hockey and trying it out on fresh ice and I just can't get it right.

Are we talking stopping on the side with one foot not a snowplow, or a full hockey stop with front skate inside edge and back skate outside edge in parallel?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

A full on proper hockey stop is a balls-out commitment to turning your hips (and at the same time your feet) perpendicular to your direction of travel and digging the inside edge of your leading foot into the ice. The sharper the angle of your skates compared to the ice, the faster you stop. The trailing foot can dig an edge too but as a beginner it's mostly there for balance. I don't think it can really be taught directly.. almost everyone starts out with a snowplow stop and works their way towards getting the confidence to throwing their body into the motion. It does take a fair amount of time to really get it.

I guess one thing you can try is to set up near the boards (maybe by the benches so you can get some grip) with your skate blades parallel to the boards. Lean in to the boards a bit for some balance, and get a feel for how the skate blade slides when you push sideways. When the blade is perpendicular to the ice it slides fairly easily. The more angle you apply the tougher it is to slide, until you get to a point where you can put all your weight on the edge.

That's basically what a hockey stop is, and it's one of those things where once you figure it out you'll be mystified that you ever thought it was difficult.

Psmith
May 7, 2007
I was talking about the full hockey stop but that explanation makes sense. I was never turning my hips when I tried it.

I think I'll check youtube to see if there are any good videos before I go out for my next skate.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Yeah, there's a bunch of youtube videos out there. m2hockey and howtohockey produce consistently good beginner tips.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

Psmith posted:

For me, specifically, it was finding the right hollow because I'm a fatass and 5/8" digs too much into the ice for my liking. And lots of practice shaving the ice.

For everything else, listen to the people more experienced than me.

loving bro hug
Mar 7, 2006

I Love The Colorado Avalanche More Than I Love Landeskog's Balls In My Mouth
AND I LOVE LANDESKOG'S BALLS IN MY MOUTH A WHOLE LOT
PS Sakic > Yzerman
I've found the youtube vids that xzzy mentioned to be quite helpful, as well as the one from Hockeyus:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4f19ZQj_fak

Once you've got a good idea of how it's supposed to work, its just constant repetition until it starts to seem natural. I still struggle at times with the "balls-out commitment to turning your hips" though and can only do a real hockey stop when I turn to the right...but I'm better at it than I was when I started! When you start getting to know other skaters don't be afraid to ask around as well since they might be more helpful than trying to remember the video demos.

Psmith
May 7, 2007
That actually brings up question I had. When I was getting my skates sharpened last time I noticed that there are different "levels" of sharpness ranging from more glide to more bite.

Next time I get my skates sharpened should I request a sharpness that has more bite? Would that make learning the stop a little easier even if it means sacrificing some speed?

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

Here are a couple good articles on hollows and sharpening:

http://www.revolhockey.com/Skate%20Sharpening%20101.html
http://noicingsports.com/skate_sharpening_radius.html

I skate on a 7/8" hollow, which is shallower or duller than a standard 5/8" hollow.

Pinky Artichoke
Apr 10, 2011

Dinner has blossomed.

Psmith posted:

This may be insane/bad advice, but stopping on one foot (picking up my back foot) was a lot easier for me at first. Also I guess I conceptualize it as pushing forward and down on my heel and hip on the leading side.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

It might also help to have a target to stop at, and to go 'slow' and gradually build up speed. Our beginner's coach had us stop at each line, always facing towards the closest boards.

So let's say you're skating up the ice with the closest boards to your left. You skate from the goal line to the first blue line, hockey stop facing the boards. Skate to center line, hockey stop, facing the boards. Skate to the other blue line, etc.

Then do it the other way, except facing the right.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Psmith posted:

That actually brings up question I had. When I was getting my skates sharpened last time I noticed that there are different "levels" of sharpness ranging from more glide to more bite.

Next time I get my skates sharpened should I request a sharpness that has more bite? Would that make learning the stop a little easier even if it means sacrificing some speed?

For the love of god do not get a sharper hollow to learn how to stop.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Chemmy posted:

For the love of god do not get a sharper hollow to learn how to stop.

I'm curious what happens if you get too much bite.. do you pitch over your skates or do your legs buckle under the weight of your foot being instantly stationary?

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

It'll just feel really twitchy, like your skates are "too sharp".

For a beginner going to a goalie hollow would probably help, but just stick with regular sharpening until you figure it out.

It's a technique and everyone else learned how to do it with regular hollows.

Loqieu
Feb 27, 2001

sellouts posted:

Does anyone here skate in NYC? Going to be there again for work during the week in a few weeks and have room to schlep my gear if there's a good skate.

I'm putting together a team to play 4 games against City Ice's Learn to Play Hockey class on Aug 1, 2, 8 and 9. Only issue is I'm looking for lower division players in order to keep it competitive. $10 per game, and there's a BBQ at the rink on the 8th and 9th.

Otherwise I'm playing in a summer league in LI. We could always use extra skaters since the roster is low. Most games are at least a 45 minute drive from Manhattan though. Let me know.

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS
I never get to play or ref anymore I hate my life.

edit: The attending faculty clinician on my first rotation played in some now defunct junior league though we talked about it for a good 15 minutes in rounds one day and probably bored everyone else to tears. :getin:

Topoisomerase fucked around with this message at 07:05 on Jul 4, 2013

Psmith
May 7, 2007
Thanks for all the advice, gonna spend a few hours at the next public skate doing this

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

20% off everything except MAP stuff or whatever on hockey monkey today.

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

'CUZ HE JUST GOT DUNKED ON!

Loqieu posted:

I'm putting together a team to play 4 games against City Ice's Learn to Play Hockey class on Aug 1, 2, 8 and 9. Only issue is I'm looking for lower division players in order to keep it competitive. $10 per game, and there's a BBQ at the rink on the 8th and 9th.

Otherwise I'm playing in a summer league in LI. We could always use extra skaters since the roster is low. Most games are at least a 45 minute drive from Manhattan though. Let me know.

Where on LI are you playing? I'm in a summer league at the Rinx in hauppauge but I live in Nassau.

toxicsunset
Sep 19, 2005

BUY MORE CRABS
Does anyone know why rollerblades kill my calves ten times more than ice skates ever has? I played my last game with 5 fowards and my calves were never sore, I rollerskate out front for 20 minutes and they're ready to explode

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Loqieu posted:

Thanks!

Looks like July 24-25 are when I will be there. Driving is out of the question but would the LIRR work? I need to nail down my schedule a bit but I think the 24th would work in the evening.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

Minto Took posted:

I skate on a 7/8" hollow

Whaa? Does that even work? That's like Paul Coffey level dull.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

bewbies posted:

Whaa? Does that even work? That's like Paul Coffey level dull.

And it rules.

e: My Sher-Woods have a Coffey curve. :3:

Full Collapse fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Jul 4, 2013

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

I tried 5/8 and it felt like my skates were coming out from under me. I can't even imagine what 7/8 is like.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Gio posted:

I tried 5/8 and it felt like my skates were coming out from under me. I can't even imagine what 7/8 is like.

Rent a pair of skates from the rink and I'd guess that's what it's like.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

toxicsunset posted:

Does anyone know why rollerblades kill my calves ten times more than ice skates ever has? I played my last game with 5 fowards and my calves were never sore, I rollerskate out front for 20 minutes and they're ready to explode

They weigh a whole lot more?

Honestly I couldnt tell you the last time I had calf pains (got the calves of a greek god, heh)

Are they different brands? different sizes? different levels?

I only skate on converted ice skates anymore, could never find a roller boot that felt 'right'.

Loqieu
Feb 27, 2001

kill me now posted:

Where on LI are you playing? I'm in a summer league at the Rinx in hauppauge but I live in Nassau.

In Midnight Hockey on Riptide. I think we're in division D? Looks like they schedule most of our games in Syosset or Cantiague since most of the team lives in western Nassau or Queens, but I was told some of our games might be at Rinx. I was thinking about joining the Rinx weekend league this summer, but just didn't fit my schedule.

How's the ice at Rinx? So far the ice at Cantiague and Syosset is good, but usually a little ripped up from all the earlier games. I've played at Syosset where no earlier games were scheduled and it was like glass.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Loqieu
Feb 27, 2001

sellouts posted:

Thanks!

Looks like July 24-25 are when I will be there. Driving is out of the question but would the LIRR work? I need to nail down my schedule a bit but I think the 24th would work in the evening.

Unfortunately no, the LI rinks aren't any where near convenient from the train. Chelsea Piers in Manhattan has open hockey during the afternoons if you're looking to play. Also City Ice has open on Fridays at 10pm to 12, and that's right by the 7 train. Of course that's assuming it's up and running by then. Some issues with the heat right now since the rink is in a bubble on a roof.