Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bamzilla
Jan 13, 2005

All butt since 2012.

If it's any consolation I didn't have morning sickness with either pregnancy. I'd have waves of nausea but that was more due to lack of appetite more than anything else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

annaconda
Mar 12, 2007
deadly bite
Thanks everyone. As expected the ham's stay was short, and I feel fine apart from the normal pregnancy oddness. I have been incredibly neurotic about all those guidelines, even knowing intellectually that they were often a bit silly, but yesterday something just snapped and I was having that ham, dammit. The caffeine was from a Coke Zero, so not even that much.

jota23, I have now puked every day since 7 weeks except one. That one was quite terrifying - I had energy, I was actually hungry, and I could poke my breasts without wanting to scream. I've had bleeding on and off throughout the whole 17 weeks so I was convinced "Welp, it finally happened, that's it". The next day I puked three times and I am back to being consistently queasy and tired. Good times. Don't worry, chances are you'll spew again! How far along are you? Can you feel movement instead to reassure yourself?

Crazy Old Clarice
Mar 5, 2007

Lefou, I'm afraid I've been eating... you.

jota23 posted:

This pregnancy thing is one wild rollercoaster!

This is so true. Jota, I am having the same freak out today. At six weeks along, any change from just an hour before makes me sure I am going to miscarry. I need to relax ... stress is bad. But I am already so emotionally invested, go baby go!

jota23
Nov 18, 2010

"I don't think..."
"Then you shouldn't talk," said the Hatter."
I have my dating ultrasound on Friday. We are guesstimating I'm between 7 and 8 weeks. It's those early weeks where all I've got is hope and vomiting to reassure me.

Lyz
May 22, 2007

I AM A GIRL ON WOW GIVE ME ITAMS
I devoted a lot of mental energy to not thinking about being pregnant to keep myself from fretting too much. It worked surprisingly well, the only time I acknowledged it is when I became too big to ignore it.

Schweig und tanze
May 22, 2007

STUBBSSSSS INNNNNN SPACEEEE!

On the flipside, you could be like me, with lots of bleeding but no nausea. I'd take the nausea! Every day was terrifying until about 16 weeks.

sudont
May 10, 2011
this program is useful for when you don't want to do something.

Fun Shoe
Yesssss! My boobs work! At 16 days, C weighs 7 lbs 14 oz. He was 7 lbs 8 oz at birth, 7 lbs even when we left the hospital. I got the go ahead to let him sleep longer at night and holy poo poo that's the best thing I've ever heard. He's been sleeping most of today though so I anticipate a not very sleep filled night.

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

I was excited when I got the go ahead to let him sleep at night too but not much has changed.

Killer_Frost
Nov 30, 2011

I hit my nephew yet I don't hesitate to judge other people's parenting skills.
PS MY BABY CAROLINE CAN NEVER SHARE A LAP WITH BALLS. Lol

sudont posted:

Yesssss! My boobs work!

I'm glad I'm not the only one that had that thought. Lol Enjoy the extra sleep. :)

sudont
May 10, 2011

Fun Shoe
Hah, yeah, he pretty much has slept all day because there was almost always someone holding him and he is a HUGE snugglebug, so I assume he'll not sleep for too long at a time tonight. Sigh. But yeah what a feeling of relief to know he's thriving even though I knew he was rationally, based on diaper output! Breastfeeding is terrifying.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Having a baby has really made me wonder how the hell humans survived before modern times.

bamzilla
Jan 13, 2005

All butt since 2012.

Alterian posted:

Having a baby has really made me wonder how the hell humans survived before modern times.

They didn't for very long :)

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

They raised babies in communities instead of the "parenting islands" we have now.

Killer_Frost
Nov 30, 2011

I hit my nephew yet I don't hesitate to judge other people's parenting skills.
PS MY BABY CAROLINE CAN NEVER SHARE A LAP WITH BALLS. Lol

sudont posted:

Hah, yeah, he pretty much has slept all day because there was almost always someone holding him and he is a HUGE snugglebug, so I assume he'll not sleep for too long at a time tonight. Sigh. But yeah what a feeling of relief to know he's thriving even though I knew he was rationally, based on diaper output! Breastfeeding is terrifying.

I had a day this week where she slept pretty much all day. I figured she'd be up all night. I was wrong. Those sleep cycles at the end of a growth spurt are wicked!

sudont
May 10, 2011

Fun Shoe
He did sleep sort of okay, I think from 9-12, 12-2, 2-5, and now we're up. He fed at each of those wakeups, but only on one side, so he woke up more frequently I think. Could've gone back to sleep, but I've woken up with a migraine every day the past 4 days so I wanted to get up and have coffee/eat so I could take something for it. Ughhhh. They haven't been this bad/frequent in like 2 years when I quit my job because I was about to get fired for missing so much work due to them! I see my midwife next week, I'll see what we can do. I've tried almost every med on the safe for breastfeeding list, with no success, and the one triptan that worked isn't on there, probably because it's fairly new. (Relpax.)

We're having a cookout today where a lot of our friends will be meeting C for the first time, and it is HOT HOT HOT (mid-90's) so it's going to be a long day. Though there'll be a bunch of people who want to snuggle with him so maybe I can catch a nap or something this afternoon. C is a total snugglebug, and is fairly equal opportunity about it--while he clearly prefers the lady with the food, he'll snuggle (and try to nurse) on anyone.

sudont fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Aug 23, 2013

skeetied
Mar 10, 2011

sudont posted:

I've tried almost every med on the safe for breastfeeding list, with no success, and the one triptan that worked isn't on there, probably because it's fairly new. (Relpax.)

My current copy of Hale's states the following about breastfeeding a 0 to 6 month infant with Relpax: "PROBABLY SAFE. Experience with the use of this drug in breastfeeding women is limited. However, there is no evidence that the use of this drug will have an adverse effect in the breastfed infant. Eletriptan is a selective 5-hyroxytryptamine receptor agonists specifically used to treat migraine attacks. The manufacturer reports that 0.02% of the administered dose is present in milk. It is not likely the clinical dose delivered above would harm a breastfed infant."

sudont
May 10, 2011

Fun Shoe
Thanks so much for looking that up, skeetied! I'll print out the list from Kellymom so I can go over what's possible with whatever doc I see. Relpax was the only triptan I found that worked, and there was no generic for it yet so when I lost my insurance when I left my job it was $236 for six pills! I'm on Medicaid (or -care, the one for poor people not old people) now so I don't know what their non-pregnancy related coverage is like at all, guess I'll find out soon enough...

The past few days have been a huge respite. C slept a lot, I'm assuming because of a growth spurt, which would explain the crazy cluster feeding of the past week or so, so I was able to get away with only nursing him every 2.5-3 hours. And last night we slept from 8-11, 12-3:30, 4-6:30 which is the most sleep I've gotten since he was born I think. It was glorious.

Someone please reassure me that I can't "spoil" my 18 day old infant by immediately picking up when he cries/holding him a lot because he loves it and fusses when he's put down when he's awake/sleeping with him in my bed? (I have a co sleeper next to my bed but with the cluster feeding he was doing, it was just easier to sleep with him in my bed and nurse side-lying. If I put him in it when he's awake or if he wakes up, he'll make all sorts of noises, not really crying/fussing but snuffling and snorting and making baby noises and I can't sleep because I'm like "what the hell is he DOING?" and in bed with me he settles right down and sleeps.) My mom, who has not once second-guessed me or tried to get me to do things her way has started to make some gentle suggestions along those lines and I've repeated what the infant care classes and nurses have told me, that it's impossible to spoil an infant this young, and that contrary to popular belief, responding right away to crying helps babies in the long run--they learn that they can soothe themselves because someone will be right there. She is not at all pushing me to "let him cry it out" but like all new moms I feel like, "is what I'm doing right?" when I know it feels right.

C is such an equal opportunity snugglebug. Everyone thinks I'm making it up when I talk about how much he screams when I change him or when he's hungry, because when he's being held by anyone he's so chill and usually falls asleep. But when it's just me and him I'm the meanest mommy in the world. Everyone thinks I'm the most relaxed, calm, together new mom and I laugh because I'm like "You don't see us at 2 am when I can't get his diaper on because he's flailing so much and he's punching me in the boob because I don't get it out fast enough!" I wish people didn't wear perfume/scented stuff though, because I don't like it when I get him back and he smells like other ladies, and not like clean baby!

sudont fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Aug 23, 2013

Schweig und tanze
May 22, 2007

I promise that you can't spoil him so young. He's teeny, way too young to soothe himself. My mom keeps telling me the same thing and I just kind of smile and nod. Picking him up and helping him to feel secure and loved isn't going to spoil him :)

Molly Bloom
Nov 9, 2006

Yes.
No way, can't ruin a baby by loving him.

Can you make your toddler into an insufferable beast? Probably...it would explain some things in my family.

I'd agree that what I've been reading suggests that if a baby starts to know that there's always someone there, it fusses less.

bamzilla
Jan 13, 2005

All butt since 2012.

I have reared two children now - both the same way. My daughter was a very chill baby and didn't require a lot of hands on time. My son is extremely high strung and from birth has been very high needs as far as attention goes - almost constantly needing to be held. It's a personality thing more than it's a "omg if you hold them too much you're spoiling them" thing. My grandmother was constantly telling me that I was spoiling my son by "holding him too much". I just politely inform her that he's a different baby than my daughter was.

Ceridwen
Dec 11, 2004
Of course... If the Jell-O gets moldy, the whole thing should be set aflame.

To give you an example of not being able to spoil them: Hannah was nursed or bounced to sleep every single time for about the first month of her life. Around 4 weeks we started putting her down in her bassinet drowsy but not asleep just to see if it would work and it did. Now most days she goes to sleep on her own and we only bounce her to sleep if she's super wide awake after her last feed of the night or fusses after being set down in the bassinet.

We "spoiled" her every time she went to sleep until she was old enough to not need it anymore. It did not stop her from developing some skills to help herself fall asleep. And if she starts to fuss after we set her down we still go pick her up right away and she has not started fussing every night so she can get picked up!

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

At that age you really can't spoil them. They just want love and assurance in this crazy alien world. When they get a little older you can definitely start to tell the difference between just being whiny and bored and need a change in scenery and when they want snuggles.

Crazy Old Clarice
Mar 5, 2007

Lefou, I'm afraid I've been eating... you.
I know all kids are different, but what is the general consensus as to when they are old enough to start setting more boundaries. Our little guy is 1.5 and I think it is time to start being a little more conscientious of times when he is just trying to get his way and staying firm, but Mr. Clarice thinks he is "still a baby" and we can't spoil him.

When is your baby no longer a baby?

sudont
May 10, 2011

Fun Shoe
Thanks mamas (and/or papas), it always helps to hear "you're doing the right thing". I haven't been able to put him down for more than a minute here and there since like 6am and my arms are about to fall off, time to break out the Moby wrap! He's still too small for the Baby Bjorn, which I find odd as he's almost 8lbs and 20.5 inches; I prefer it to the Moby, less hot.

Edit: Or not; I can't put him down long enough to get either the Moby or the Bjorn on/adjusted :/

sudont fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Jul 5, 2013

bilabial trill
Dec 25, 2008

not just a B

bamzilla posted:

I have reared two children now - both the same way. My daughter was a very chill baby and didn't require a lot of hands on time. My son is extremely high strung and from birth has been very high needs as far as attention goes - almost constantly needing to be held. It's a personality thing more than it's a "omg if you hold them too much you're spoiling them" thing. My grandmother was constantly telling me that I was spoiling my son by "holding him too much". I just politely inform her that he's a different baby than my daughter was.

Seconding this. My son would be content just hanging out wherever, looking around. I could put him down drowsy and he'd go to sleep more often than not from birth. My daughter is...not like that ;) I pretty much have to nurse her to sleep and she is a lot needier. She was like that from birth. So yeah. It's a personality thing. At this age, you do what works.

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

sudont posted:

Thanks mamas (and/or papas), it always helps to hear "you're doing the right thing". I haven't been able to put him down for more than a minute here and there since like 6am and my arms are about to fall off, time to break out the Moby wrap! He's still too small for the Baby Bjorn, which I find odd as he's almost 8lbs and 20.5 inches; I prefer it to the Moby, less hot

A lot of people have negative things to say about how the Bjorn works-- can lead to hip issues and dangling a baby by the crotch a la this style of carrier isn't the best position. I'm not sure how big of a deal it is, but just wanted to mention something in case you didn't know. But seriously, whatever works for you and your little one I'd do. :)

GoreJess
Aug 4, 2004

pretty in pink
Bjorns also tend to be uncomfortable for the parent too, because of how the weight is distributed.

Carriers where the baby's knees sit higher than their hips are more comfortable for both parties. Ergo is the most popular of these kinds of carriers & I really like the Boba I've been using this month.

jota23
Nov 18, 2010

"I don't think..."
"Then you shouldn't talk," said the Hatter."
I had my first ultrasound today. Everything looks good! Strong heartbeat and all. I'm officially due February 17th. It's just a blob inside another blob, but I can't stop staring at the ultrasound photos.

Oh, as a side note, morning sickness started to come back today. Time to sit back, relax, and start working on the nursery!

Ceridwen
Dec 11, 2004
Of course... If the Jell-O gets moldy, the whole thing should be set aflame.

The Ergo kind of sucks until the baby is at least 4 months or so old. Hannah flat out refused to go into the infant insert for it, and I wasn't really interested in using it because it makes the Ergo really hot. With a blanket rolled up in the bottom she can go into it for short periods but isn't all that thrilled with it. And the Bjorn is already hard on our backs even though Hannah is only ~11 lbs (I know about the potential hip issues but she doesn't spend long in it and my husband finds it the easiest to deal with).

My favorite carrier right now is my Infantino Sash mei tai. It's about $30 at Walmart or Target. Lets me wear her pretty much all day without much (if any) back pain and she almost instantly falls asleep in it most of the time. There is a small learning curve but it's much easier to operate than the Moby and a lot less fabric so it's not too warm. Hannah cries while I'm putting it on (sometimes quite loudly) but settles pretty much immediately once it's on. Sometimes she falls asleep in as little as 20 seconds once I have it on. Works especially well when she's overtired and not responding to other techniques.

sudont
May 10, 2011

Fun Shoe
Ick at the Bjorn possibly causing hip problems. I'll look further into it; I remember seeing something about it but then also other cites refuting it. (Possibly Bjorn-sponsored, I didn't look too hard.) I'm trying to be super aware of ergonomics and stuff because I've had shoulder surgery on my non-dominant side and that side is really weak, so I tend to compensate and get crazy neck pain which triggers migraines. C is still too small and I'm not comfortable using it because his head doesn't clear the top of the carrier. I love how the Moby holds him, and so does he, but jeez is it a lot of fabric. I'm tall and thin and it seems to be so heavy and bulky on me. It's not very portable due to the length, it takes up so much room in my diaper bag. It came with a storage bag but you need some kind of Bag of Holding spell that breaks the laws of physics to get it back in the bag once you take it out. (The bag is possibly a TARDIS, bigger on the inside.) There's a maternity specialty shop where I got my cloth diapers, they do carrier rentals so you can try them out before buying, I'm going to take advantage of that as soon as I can, I'm on a reeeeeally limited budget and the Bjorn and Moby were gifts.

sudont fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Aug 23, 2013

Chickalicious
Apr 13, 2005

We are the ones we've been waiting for.
http://www.bobafamily.com/blog/2011/10/11/nine-reasons-not-to-carry-your-baby-facing-out/

sudont
May 10, 2011

Fun Shoe
Outward facing in baby carrier creeps me the gently caress out, it reminds me of the chestbursting alien in Aliens. It also looks so uncomfortable for the baby! I planned to switch to a hip type carry when he gets big enough and can hold his head up and look around. Thanks for that link, it reinforced my hate of the forward facing carry ;)

Lyz
May 22, 2007

Chris loved facing out, he could get so much attention and smile at everyone and get fussed over. Bad for his hips but great for turning him into the little attention whore he is now.

Right now I have a side sling, it's very nice. I can just put it on, pop Emily in there, even nurse and walk at the same time if I have to. She doesn't seem to be a fan of the Boba, it squishes her too much it seems, and I'm not a fan because I never seem to get it on right and it takes a while to set up.

Schweig und tanze
May 22, 2007

jota23 posted:

I had my first ultrasound today. Everything looks good! Strong heartbeat and all. I'm officially due February 17th. It's just a blob inside another blob, but I can't stop staring at the ultrasound photos.

Oh, as a side note, morning sickness started to come back today. Time to sit back, relax, and start working on the nursery!

Congrats!! Feb 17 was Simon's due date, and now it's his birthday :)

Ben Davis
Apr 17, 2003

I'm as clumsy as I am beautiful

sudont posted:

Ick at the Bjorn possibly causing hip problems. I'll look further into it; I remember seeing something about it but then also other cites refuting it. (Possibly Bjorn-sponsored, I didn't look too hard.) I'm trying to be super aware of ergonomics and stuff because I've had shoulder surgery on my non-dominant side and that side is really weak, so I tend to compensate and get crazy neck pain which triggers migraines. Ciaran is still too small and I'm not comfortable using it because his head doesn't clear the top of the carrier. I love how the Moby holds him, and so does he, but jeez is it a lot of fabric. I'm tall and thin and it seems to be so heavy and bulky on me. It's not very portable due to the length, it takes up so much room in my diaper bag. It came with a storage bag but you need some kind of Bag of Holding spell that breaks the laws of physics to get it back in the bag once you take it out. (The bag is possibly a TARDIS, bigger on the inside.) There's a maternity specialty shop where I got my cloth diapers, they do carrier rentals so you can try them out before buying, I'm going to take advantage of that as soon as I can, I'm on a reeeeeally limited budget and the Bjorn and Moby were gifts.

If you have back pain, you might like the Beco Butterfly 2. It has an infant insert snappy bit in it that's totally different from the Ergo's. I think it's like wearing a cloud. I've heard good things about the ABC carrier too, but haven't tried that out. I think most carriers apart from a mei tai or a ring sling are going to take up a lot f room. You could do a Facebook search for a babywearing group in your area too!

GoreJess
Aug 4, 2004

pretty in pink

Lyz posted:

Chris loved facing out, he could get so much attention and smile at everyone and get fussed over. Bad for his hips but great for turning him into the little attention whore he is now.

Right now I have a side sling, it's very nice. I can just put it on, pop Emily in there, even nurse and walk at the same time if I have to. She doesn't seem to be a fan of the Boba, it squishes her too much it seems, and I'm not a fan because I never seem to get it on right and it takes a while to set up.

Do you have the Boba wrap? I've been using their soft structured carrier (borrowed from my local babywearing group!) & it's super easy to get on & off once you get the waist & arm straps adjusted. You just snap on the waist belt, pop in baby, pull up the arm straps & clip the chest/back clip. It takes maybe 30 seconds to get Archer in or out.

Speaking of which, finding a babywearing group in your area is the best way to try on a bunch of different carriers & find one that works for you and your baby. Start here: http://babywearinginternational.org/pages/chapters.php & then try Facebook & Meetup.

GoreJess fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Jul 6, 2013

Lyz
May 22, 2007

GoreJess posted:

Do you have the Boba wrap? I've been using their soft structured carrier (borrowed from my local babywearing group!) & it's super easy to get on & off once you get the waist & arm straps adjusted. You just snap on the waist belt, pop in baby, pull up the arm straps & clip the chest/back clip. It takes maybe 30 seconds to get Archer in or out.

Yeah it's the wrap I'm not a fan of, it takes a while to put on, never seems tight enough, and then I go to plop a baby in it and it never seems to work the right way. I'm bad at baby wearing.

I should join that group just to get rid of the myriad of carriers I acquired when I had Chris. A wrap, two front carriers, side sling and soft backpack... I've already got quite the collection. Really only need the sling and the backpack (for hiking) I think. I like the side sling for just popping into stores real quick when they get old enough to sit up, because then it's like carrying them on your hip but you get your arm back.

Sockmuppet
Aug 15, 2009

sudont posted:

Somebody please tell me the "needs to breastfeed every 20-40 minutes" phase will pass?

It's like having a tiny, senile drunk old man as a pet.

oh my god, this and this. non stop nursing, and it's like having to take care of a tiny falling down drunk girlfriend.

See, I up and had a baby :3:

Meet Isalill Maria, born July 2nd.

She came head first and all (and no epi!), though now I'm starting to wonder why I was so adamant about avoiding a CS - my ladyparts are weird :ohdear:

bilabial trill
Dec 25, 2008

not just a B

Sockmuppet posted:

oh my god, this and this. non stop nursing, and it's like having to take care of a tiny falling down drunk girlfriend.

See, I up and had a baby :3:

Meet Isalill Maria, born July 2nd.

She came head first and all (and no epi!), though now I'm starting to wonder why I was so adamant about avoiding a CS - my ladyparts are weird :ohdear:

Yayyy congratulations! Perfect timing ;) I'm sure your lady parts will feel better soon. Did you tear? With my son I had a small tear, 3 stitches. It was much better within a week. With Frøydis i had an episiotomy, I think 5 stitches. That was much more uncomfortable, but still a lot better after only two weeks.

Tip: wet a big pad and put it in the freezer for a little while. Then wear it in your pants for some soothing coolness.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Dermoplast is also fantastic for making it not hurt because it numbs it all.