Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Marx
Oct 24, 2003

This was the greatest day of my life. Finally I could stand on my soapbox and tell you American scum that you got exactly what you deserved.
P.S. Sorry Osama that Americans were not compassionate enough to take you in peacefully. You deserved better.
Joel logged in to help shoot guardians, not going to bother rehosting someones pictures so linked the thread.

And early access for the next issue for grandmasters and stuff starts the 8th so everyone else has to wait until mid week or so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nombres
Jul 16, 2009
In case for some godforsaken reason someone doesn't know, once you get in game type: "/chat join anniversity" (yes, anniversity, and of course without quotation marks). There are roughly 400 people in that chat now keeping an eternal lookout for the bosses, and pretty regularly someone puts up the FAQ, which has the locations of all the lore.

EDIT: whoops, /chat join, not /join chat

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Funcom learned nothing from the Mayans :negative:

Nombres
Jul 16, 2009

Len posted:

Funcom learned nothing from the Mayans :negative:

I had to kill the Blue Mountain golem three times before I got the mission ticked off (to add insult to injury, the reward bag had two green signet bags in it :shepicide:).

The lag and graphics slowdown when killing them in ungodly too. I'm playing at absolute minimum graphics level, and my GPU isn't that bad.

Not So Fast
Dec 27, 2007

Funcom's engine really doesn't seem built for 100+ people in the same area doing flashy attacks plus a boss. GW2, as much as I complain, built itself from the ground up for world events like this, and works really well. So far for TSW this has been OK but feels very hacky.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Nombres posted:

I had to kill the Blue Mountain golem three times before I got the mission ticked off (to add insult to injury, the reward bag had two green signet bags in it :shepicide:).

The lag and graphics slowdown when killing them in ungodly too. I'm playing at absolute minimum graphics level, and my GPU isn't that bad.

I killed the Blue Mountain once twice and got the pet. Kingsmouth gave me a blue Aggression.

Edit: Dozens of pubbies shooting this guy plus my black hole going off. I'm sitting at a solid 1 fps.

Double edit: Two pets down.

Len fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Jul 4, 2013

Nombres
Jul 16, 2009

Len posted:

I killed the Blue Mountain once twice and got the pet. Kingsmouth gave me a blue Aggression.

Edit: Dozens of pubbies shooting this guy plus my black hole going off. I'm sitting at a solid 1 fps.

Double edit: Two pets down.

It would jump by a shocking one or maybe even two frames per second if idiots stopped using shitloads of AOE attacks on it and summoning their pets.

EDIT: Also gently caress you and gently caress your pets. :negative:

I wish the RNG was kinder to me.

Nombres fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Jul 4, 2013

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Nombres posted:

It would jump by a shocking one or maybe even two frames per second if idiots stopped using shitloads of AOE attacks on it and summoning their pets.

That was me. Black hole and reality fracture. Had my little golem summoned. I was trying to break things.

Nombres
Jul 16, 2009

Len posted:

That was me. Black hole and reality fracture. Had my little golem summoned. I was trying to break things.

True enough. Still, though, unless you have a shocking amount of alts on at once, I don't think you can hog the credit. If only they were - your multitasking would be legendary, goddamn.

Reverend Dr
Feb 9, 2005

Thanks Reverend

Not So Fast posted:

GW2, as much as I complain, built itself from the ground up for world events like this, and works really well.

They've done a good bit to modify it sense release, but most of us remember terribly laggy events and the horrible culling.

The reality is that no one's game engine is really designed for 100+ people all in one place at the same time.

Len posted:

But doesn't epicenter cause more frame rate reduction? I was thinking Epicenter + Suppressing Fire should be the go-to.

Nombres posted:

True enough. Still, though, unless you have a shocking amount of alts on at once, I don't think you can hog the credit. If only they were - your multitasking would be legendary, goddamn.

It was him. Just him. Be sure to pass that on to Joel.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
Is Shotgun/Pistol a potential combo for basically being a Huge rear end in a top hat to PvE enemies? Both seem to deal in the same leanings of Hindered/Weakened at least. For whatever reason I want to avoid Assault Rifle, probably because I've spent plenty of time with Assault Rifles in other MMOs.

So many different abilities, I suppose once I get into this more I'll be better able to pick out what would most make vampire cab drivers and werewolf farmers and assorted mobs go "Man, that guy is such an rear end in a top hat rear end in a top hat :argh:", you know, aside from plain old This Makes You Generate Extra Aggro.

Fantastic Alice
Jan 23, 2012

You know what, I'm not gonna go for the bosses unless I see one. No waiting or anything. I'm just gonna abuse the double AP for all it's worth and hit up a boss if I end up near it.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
What are the pets for the event? The event sounds like totla crap, so I don't want to have to do it to get nice pets.

Reverend Dr
Feb 9, 2005

Thanks Reverend

Ran in, saw people swinging at air for a few minutes, a thing the size of a house phased in, couldn't activate skills at all, suddenly died. This is exactly like Karka.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Is there a way to do an in-game ticket? I took Bring It Bach but when I used the camera to pick it up I never got it, and since I can't drop or restart the quest at will, and I've completed the other side missions I have, I can't pause it. So how the gently caress do I fix this?

Zephonith
Jun 25, 2008

Maybe if I actually played Mafia, I'd get a better gift from my Mafia Secret Santa. :(

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

Is there a way to do an in-game ticket? I took Bring It Bach but when I used the camera to pick it up I never got it, and since I can't drop or restart the quest at will, and I've completed the other side missions I have, I can't pause it. So how the gently caress do I fix this?
/petition

I got a Golem of Water pet today, after the clusterfuck that has been the guardian of gaia event so far

Smith Comma John
Nov 21, 2007

Human being for president.

Reverend Dr posted:

Ran in, saw people swinging at air for a few minutes, a thing the size of a house phased in, couldn't activate skills at all, suddenly died. This is exactly like Karka.

Did it take 3 hours? If not then it is nothing compared to the majesty of Karkaland.

For those of you who weren't around GW2, the first new zone they added included a giant multihour event with 10s+ skill lag and hordes of pubbies getting pancaked by giant invisible rolling crabs. It would've been hilarious if it didn't take so long. TSW is even worse performance-wise so I don't know what funcom is thinking.

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

#vmp #opsec #kolmiloikka #happoo

Section Z posted:

Is Shotgun/Pistol a potential combo for basically being a Huge rear end in a top hat to PvE enemies? Both seem to deal in the same leanings of Hindered/Weakened at least. For whatever reason I want to avoid Assault Rifle, probably because I've spent plenty of time with Assault Rifles in other MMOs.

Shotgun/pistols is pretty good. You don't need to mess with hindered or weakened as far as grouping goes. Though if your tank isn't doing weakened (which they usually are), you can always switch to striker as builder and pick up punisher for some nice utility. There's also 12-gouge but it's slower than punisher.

If you also pump AP into elemental (purges, fuse) on top of those two, you'll be pretty much able to do anything a dpsser can be expected to do in nightmares.

Merope
Apr 19, 2010

Smurf it up

Captain Oblivious posted:

If this is what you're playing TSW for, there really are better games for you. You're basically forgoing what makes it unique and interesting in the name of things that many other games do far better. It's a bizarre choice, to me.

:rolleyes: I also have little patience for the harder puzzles. The nerve of me not appreciating the uniqueness of the game, I should go play L4D or something.
Two friends I badgered into trying it (the sort of people who do enjoy complex puzzles) were turned off by all the zombies in Kingsmouth.
I like TSW because its a horror MMO, I love the story and the atmosphere. I wish there were more horror MMOs.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

Merope posted:

Two friends I badgered into trying it (the sort of people who do enjoy complex puzzles) were turned off by all the zombies in Kingsmouth.

Yeah, this is something I don't like about the game myself. It's an amazing, unique setting, that does a ton of cool, unexpected stuff with a lot of different settings... but they open it in without question the worst possible way, by just making us fight zombies. I admit Kingsmouth is a very nice zone, and it's probably one of the better zombie stories I've seen in the recent zombie boom, but it's still opening your unique-setting horror-esque MMO with the single most cliche monster in popular culture.

I still think they should've started with Egypt or Transylvania. Or hell, a part of Solomon Island that isn't Kingsmouth would be better than starting with Kingsmouth. The Savage Coast kicks off by introducing you to straight-up Hell, before making the zombies a minor focus overshadowed by the ak'ab, draug and the goings-on at Innsmouth. Blue Mountain's a bit more zombie-focused, but it's in a more unique way, with the military and the Wabanaki giving a unique perspective while also having them share the spotlight with the wendigos and sasquatches.

So yeah. Literally any zone would've been a fresher start than Kingsmouth.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Cleretic posted:

Yeah, this is something I don't like about the game myself. It's an amazing, unique setting, that does a ton of cool, unexpected stuff with a lot of different settings... but they open it in without question the worst possible way, by just making us fight zombies. I admit Kingsmouth is a very nice zone, and it's probably one of the better zombie stories I've seen in the recent zombie boom, but it's still opening your unique-setting horror-esque MMO with the single most cliche monster in popular culture.

I still think they should've started with Egypt or Transylvania. Or hell, a part of Solomon Island that isn't Kingsmouth would be better than starting with Kingsmouth. The Savage Coast kicks off by introducing you to straight-up Hell, before making the zombies a minor focus overshadowed by the ak'ab, draug and the goings-on at Innsmouth. Blue Mountain's a bit more zombie-focused, but it's in a more unique way, with the military and the Wabanaki giving a unique perspective while also having them share the spotlight with the wendigos and sasquatches.

Yeah, by the end of Kingsmouth, I was questioning my desire to keep playing.

Then I hit Savage Coast, and was immediately greeted by assholes, demon assholes, bug assholes, and the worst questgiver.

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

Start in Transylvania and first impressions are that it's yet another lovely fairy forest game, start in Egypt and the pro-rainbow brigade starts crying how the game is obviously too brown. They just can't win.

Zephonith
Jun 25, 2008

Maybe if I actually played Mafia, I'd get a better gift from my Mafia Secret Santa. :(
I went and picked up 8/9 of the lore for the Guardians. Apart from the Fusang one, because yeah right like I'm ever getting into Fusang.

It's mostly a Secret World style retelling of the story of the Golem of Prague, with a nod to the Golem of Chelm. The Golem of Prague is a Golem who was summoned by the Rabbi of the Old-New Synagogue of Prague to defend the Jewish population against attack. The synagogue is one of the oldest synagogues in Europe, but when it was built (1200s) there was an even older one in Prague, hence the name.

I don't suppose we have any goons who can give us some more detail on the individual golem names?

Cleretic posted:

I enjoyed how things seemed fairly predictable in Kingsmouth, but as you progress further into Solomon Island the poo poo really starts hitting the fan and then there's the giant draug nest things on the beach and portals to Hell and things just keep escalating. Plus I got a hint from the depth of the setting (from my first look through the Kingsmouth phone book) that it wouldn't just be your basic zombie story. I did get pretty sick of actually fighting the zombies though.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Did anyone have a trial pass for this game? I've wanted to check it out for a while now.

Armor-Piercing
Sep 22, 2009

Nightly dance
of bleeding swords

I would also like a trial pass, if anyone has a spare. I almost bought this the last time it was on sale but couldn't justify spending :10bux: on an MMO without trying it first when I've got around eight F2P ones already installed.

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

Here's one key. Their email thing isn't the fastest at sending them.

DZAKSMX4CPRRDRS7X9DW

e: Another:

3AQJZLM8PTAX7S46L9Q6

Zephonith
Jun 25, 2008

Key: 2YBD2XGMNDCN2DN2K25S
Key: J2UUVQVKNQ5DEEX7ELY7

These two of mine should still be good.

JayJay
Jun 16, 2005

TEHHHHHH Jetplane!

Oh wow, I just realized I got 1200 bonus points to spend. I am really finding it difficult not to spend it all on the meat is murder outfit. Wearing a bondage pig head would just be :allears:

Of course, there are also the boosts that would go very nice right now with the double xp and AP.

Edit: Passing on my keys for anyone on the edge for the 10 days as well.
RZYPWBV7X2KQAQ2A4F7K
VM2QS4LMEA2LUMW4LSR2

It's not the best game in the world, but it's very unique and a ton of entertainment for :10bux:

JayJay fucked around with this message at 14:17 on Jul 4, 2013

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

JayJay posted:

Oh wow, I just realized I got 1200 bonus points to spend. I am really finding it difficult not to spend it all on the meat is murder outfit. Wearing a bondage pig head would just be :allears:

Of course, there are also the boosts that would go very nice right now with the double xp and AP.

Get Train to Cairo.

Get Train to Cairo.

Seriously, get Train to Cairo.

Train to Cairo and Disappearance of Tyler Freeborn are actually mission packs. They add more missions to the game, and add in new weapons/outfits just by themselves. You can buy Train to Cairo ( the better one ), for 1000 something. I know the other mission packs that are free actually add additional missions to the leveling experience ( Digging Deeper, the second investigation mission from the crazy Priest in Kingsmouth wasn't in the game at release at least. ), and I think maybe Train to Cairo adds an additional mission to Egypt.

JayJay
Jun 16, 2005

TEHHHHHH Jetplane!

Rookersh posted:

Get Train to Cairo.

Get Train to Cairo.

Seriously, get Train to Cairo.

Train to Cairo and Disappearance of Tyler Freeborn are actually mission packs. They add more missions to the game, and add in new weapons/outfits just by themselves. You can buy Train to Cairo ( the better one ), for 1000 something. I know the other mission packs that are free actually add additional missions to the leveling experience ( Digging Deeper, the second investigation mission from the crazy Priest in Kingsmouth wasn't in the game at release at least. ), and I think maybe Train to Cairo adds an additional mission to Egypt.

Oh interesting, I didn't even know these were things. I am completely new though, savage coast about halfway through, is it still worth it to get these? I think I am QL 4-5 with a few scattered 6's from the second dungeon.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

JayJay posted:

Oh interesting, I didn't even know these were things. I am completely new though, savage coast about halfway through, is it still worth it to get these? I think I am QL 4-5 with a few scattered 6's from the second dungeon.

Well, I mean, it's $15 for both. You get $12 worth of points thanks to doing 30 missions.

If you buy Train to Cairo with those points, you can get Tyler Freeborn for $5 ( plus 2-3 items ). If you spend the Bonus Points on gear, you'll have to pony up $15 at QL10 if you want to do that stuff.

JayJay
Jun 16, 2005

TEHHHHHH Jetplane!

Rookersh posted:

Well, I mean, it's $15 for both. You get $12 worth of points thanks to doing 30 missions.

If you buy Train to Cairo with those points, you can get Tyler Freeborn for $5 ( plus 2-3 items ). If you spend the Bonus Points on gear, you'll have to pony up $15 at QL10 if you want to do that stuff.

Yea, that's a great point. Thanks!

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
And come the end of this horrible event, we'll have a third piece of DLC, set in Transylvania.

house of the dad
Jul 4, 2005

Bought the game yesterday and downloaded, but I can't even get past the patcher. It gets up to 4/4 Patching Resource Database then crashes. I don't know why I continue to trust Funcom.

Nombres
Jul 16, 2009
I love the Scorching Desert boss's AOE, which places a ton of little circles around for you to dodge.

With 100 other people in the area.

And your FPS down the shitter.

And lagging everywhere.

Yep. They thought this one through.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
2 hour maintenance starting... NOW. There goes the idea of using today as "off time" to get my alt up to my primary...

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
poo poo's back up already. And, damnit, where's my doubled AP gain buff today? They said it was going to be active for the first two days, and it started yesterday. So where is it today? :(

edit: Looks like Double AP yesterday was a replacement for the double XP per kill potions that weren't immediately implemented at server up/patch time. Will return tomorrow for 2 days, however, which will kick major rear end and I can't wait!

Also, I dunno if this has been mentioned in the thread so far, so here's a tip for newbies: If you are sick of having to click to confirm the casting of a ground-targeted skill, you can disable confirmation, allowing you to simply press the button and get the spell cast upon your current target's current location by holding shift, pressing control, and then releasing shift.

Apoplexy fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Jul 4, 2013

Variable Haircut
Jan 25, 2012
Tin can Shem, best Shem.

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

(he's got a good thing going)
Aaaw, I want to get inside Fusang :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fantastic Alice
Jan 23, 2012

So I just fought the Savage Coast boss.

I did jack all to it but I actually had fun fighting the thing and seeing so many people just come to one small area after I told them it was there.

• Locked thread