Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I just booted up CK2 for the first time in months (don't even have Old Gods yet) and what is up with that Invasion CB that my Muslim ruler has against pretty much everyone? Seems like it'd be straightforward to blob your way to dominance as long as you pick off the little fish one by one.

EDIT: I think this might have been because I used the Ruler Designer to make myself Mongol culture for the sweet sweet Horse Archer retinues.

Westminster System posted:

Spotlight One!

The Roman Empire

Please keep doing these! :allears: It's like reading alt-history dev diaries

gradenko_2000 fucked around with this message at 06:16 on Jul 4, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flappy Bert
Dec 11, 2011

I have seen the light, and it is a string

gradenko_2000 posted:

Please keep doing these! :allears: It's like reading alt-history dev diaries

Seconded, that one was great fun to read.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Fintilgin posted:

:colbert:

Turns out you can open up the world_normal_height.bmp file, invert the red and blue channels, and have the game lit from the 'proper' direction. Maybe it's subtle and 'spergy', but I think it looks better, and am totally doing the same thing first thing to EUIV.

Here's the inverted .bmp if anyone else wants it. Throw it in the map directory.

I like how this looks from the preview, but could some kind soul upload it to MediaFire or Mega? GameFront is being a little bitch and throwing 404 errors in my face.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Fintilgin posted:

Turns out you can open up the world_normal_height.bmp file, invert the red and blue channels, and have the game lit from the 'proper' direction. Maybe it's subtle and 'spergy', but I think it looks better, and am totally doing the same thing first thing to EUIV.
I don't think there's anything spergy about wanting them to do things like we've literally been doing (in Europe at least) since we started adding reliefs to maps. (That way of adding shadows also applies to architecture, and I assume everywhere else where that stuff is relevant.) Nice catch, and I think your fix helps leaps and bounds.

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

On mapchat, for me the apex of Paradox game maps was EU3 with mods. The move to more "realistic" maps with 3d terrain and lighting always felt more artificial than anything; it always felt more immersive to me when the map looked like something a mapmaker would have produced, like I was a minister of state looking at an actual map. Making it into actual folded graph paper was a bit much, though; they would never fold maps like that in a palace map room :colbert:
Strannnik's Map best map. If the same level of improvement is possible in EU4 then we're in for some sweet maps. Unfortunately I get a feeling that the shader and poo poo is similar to what was in the later EU3 expansions, which basically ruined the ability to add pretty icon/map-like terrain texture to the political map.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Making it into actual folded graph paper was a bit much, though; they would never fold maps like that in a palace map room :colbert:

Maps are not folded, they are rolled so they will have no fold marks and weaken the paper. :colbert:

quote:

Strannnik's Map best map.

Word.

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I assume the map shadow direction stems from the shadows of the rest of the objects on the map.

It makes sense to have the shadow of a unit you are looking at behind the unit, which means the light must come from the SE. Having a NW topographical shadow and a SE unit shadow would be weird.

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Now you know how I don't like to use the sit-down gun, but this morning we just don't have time for mucking about.

I always rationalized that they did the light that way since the southernmost point in the map is north of the equator, so the light was coming from the south.

e: For CK2, obviously.

Unreal_One fucked around with this message at 10:20 on Jul 4, 2013

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
The map though is presented as though it were a map covered in counters, not an actual display of the planet.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

JGBeagle posted:

I also noticed that Orthodoxy is still the original brown color unlike the Byzantine purple color it was changed to in CK2.

Well, the centre of the Orthodox faith is a lot more likely to be Russia than Byzantium in this period. Unless you're playing BYZ :black101:

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Darkrenown posted:

Well, the centre of the Orthodox faith is a lot more likely to be Russia than Byzantium in this period. Unless you're playing BYZ :black101:

Darkrenown, honey, I love you, but in EU a resurgent BYZ is far, far more likely than the AI ever forming RUS. It does a better job uniting Spain, for Chrissakes, and I think I've seen that happen maybe four times ever in hundreds, if not thousands, of games. :colbert:

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE
I'm always confused about people who say that - and you're not the only one in this thread who says it regularly - because in vanilla EU3, in all the expansions, and from extensive experience with Miscmods Divine Wind, I've seen both Russia and Spain form in the majority of my games. Spain almost always ends up eating Portugal, too, and becoming one of the most powerful nations; Russia is less stable and I've seen it fall apart again after formation a fair few times.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

John Charity Spring posted:

I'm always confused about people who say that - and you're not the only one in this thread who says it regularly - because in vanilla EU3, in all the expansions, and from extensive experience with Miscmods Divine Wind, I've seen both Russia and Spain form in the majority of my games. Spain almost always ends up eating Portugal, too, and becoming one of the most powerful nations; Russia is less stable and I've seen it fall apart again after formation a fair few times.

Hypothesis: it might be heavily dependent on what nations you play. I know I tend to stick with England/Scotland, France, Burgundy/Netherlands, Turkey/Bezants, Vijayanagara and Creek; if you play different countries that might deform the strategic landscape in different ways and change how specific AI nations tend to perform. It might make for an interesting case study, if it didn't take so drat long to play a full game.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE
I have played probably a majority of my games as northern European countries (counting the Dutch states as 'northern' here for convenience's sake), with a smattering of Asian nations and the occasional German/Italian/Byzantine/Ottoman one. You may well be right but the ones you mention don't seem too dissimilar to the ones I tend to pick.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

I'm in the process of making a map (probably other things eventually as well) mod for EU4, but I've realized something: Coming up with province names is a real chore. Sure, I can just use the original ones for places that are pretty much the same as in real life*, but what about the places that are nothing like real life? Anyone got some excellent resources for names that fit specific cultures/languages? Stuff like how Salzburg is literally Salt Fortress in German, but, you know, just a long list of nouns and poo poo that I can mash together to create plausible names.

*Many of those names are probably also younger than when history diverges, but that's not really a big deal.

cool new Metroid game
Oct 7, 2009

hail satan

I tried your file out and you're right, this does look so much better. I still maintain that your post was pretty drat spergin' though! :colbert:
The unit shadow direction thing doesn't bother me as I always play with unit shadows off anyway.

Westminster System
Jul 4, 2009
In my effort to be less lame, the mod is now uploaded on Mediafire.

0.3.2 with a number of fixes is now available.

Most Recent Fixes:
-Rhomaion now has cores on Illyria and most of Northern Italy
-Hungary now has cores on its former empire
-Jin should now be the primary culture of the Celestial Kingdom/Jin Shan
-Hungarian OOB should now be fixed
-Russia now has cores on territory lost over the years
-Yemen should no longer be hiding out on Socotra
-Other little fixes

However, lets move on!

Spotlight Two!

Hungary

The Extent of her primary territories & claims:

Moving in with the Magyars:

The failure of the Austrians to cement their authority in the Holy Roman Empire, let alone the Balkans, paved the way for a Hungary dominant both politically and militarily in the Balkans. When Prussia challenged the Emperor directly and Austria was shattered, Hungary, whose territories had grown to include Croatia and to the Black Sea itself, took what little the Austrians had left of value and governed from afar those whom the Prussian's did not approve of dominating.

While much of the ascent of the new Magyar Empire had been with the tacit approval of Byzantium, the resurgence of Rome itself placed Hungary in a difficult position. With the the spectre of conflict looming, the reformation continued to spread. This focused Hungary inward. With a religiously and ethnically diverse population, the Hungarians were forced to pick a side whilst putting down revolts across their territory, ultimately, the Hungarian Crown chose protestantism - but many would remain true to the Pope, or indeed, many who had heeded the words of the Patriarch in Constantinople remained faithful. These divides in Hungarian Society have remained etched in the national fabric.

The eventual stabilization of the Empire occurred just as Napoleon began his European adventure. When Napoleon's army swept aside Lotharingia and began pillaging the Rhineland, the nascent German nation turned to Hungary, and its enemy, Russia, with the better deal. Although the war waged for years, Napoleon's forces were ultimately crushed near Munich by the remnants of the German western armies, reinforced by eastern reserves, the Hungarian army and the Russian expeditionary forces. Hungary, despite all the promises, gained very little.

With the war in Europe over, Hungary began the slide into obscurity and instability. Month after month, year after year, a new rebellion would pop up - and with each new rebellion, the Hungarian army would lose ground. Most humiliatingly, was the victory the Austrian led rebellion in Siebenburgen that broke the back of the Empire. Ultimately, the Empire was broken up and the legacy of the Magyars confined to Vienna, Bratislava and Budapest, though this alone leaves Hungary a sizeable power.

Hungarian Population:

In Hungary itself, the etnic and religious divisions are still evident. Hungary lays claim to its former territory - a vast collection of peoples and beliefs, yet in its own territory there is a large and diverse collection of peoples. The test for the Hungarian crown is how to reforge these people into a cohesive nation ready for the future. Past efforts have failed and the current attitude of Hungary first cannot remain forever. If the challenge cannot be met, Hungary will be reduced yet again or consigned to be a relic of a forgotten history

Hungary stands resolute, but its challenges are almost beyond hope. Can the Magyar Empire be reborn? Will the crown hold or will the people demand more from their leaders?

Westminster System fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Jul 4, 2013

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Stop saying 'whilst.'

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

NihilCredo posted:

I like how this looks from the preview, but could some kind soul upload it to MediaFire or Mega? GameFront is being a little bitch and throwing 404 errors in my face.

http://www.mediafire.com/download/knnm77vpyo8s8mb/InvertedCKII.zip

V for Vegas posted:

It makes sense to have the shadow of a unit you are looking at behind the unit, which means the light must come from the SE. Having a NW topographical shadow and a SE unit shadow would be weird.

A small price to pay for proper terrain shading!

Megadyptes posted:

I tried your file out and you're right, this does look so much better. I still maintain that your post was pretty drat spergin' though! :colbert:
The unit shadow direction thing doesn't bother me as I always play with unit shadows off anyway.

ONE OF US! ONE OF US! :spergin:

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Tulip posted:

Stop saying 'whilst.'

There's nothing wrong with the word whilst. In some parts of England while and whilst even mean different things.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Reveilled posted:

There's nothing wrong with the word whilst. In some parts of England while and whilst even mean different things.

"Whilst much of the ascent of the new Magyar Empire had been with the tacit approval of Byzantium, the resurgence of Rome itself placed Hungary in a difficult position. Whilst the spectre of conflict loomed, the reformation continued to spread. " is too much 'whilst.'

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Tulip posted:

"Whilst much of the ascent of the new Magyar Empire had been with the tacit approval of Byzantium, the resurgence of Rome itself placed Hungary in a difficult position. Whilst the spectre of conflict loomed, the reformation continued to spread. " is too much 'whilst.'

I didn't realise he'd commited the cardinal sin of starting two sequential sentences with the same word. Gosh, how horrific.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Reveilled posted:

I didn't realise he'd commited the cardinal sin of starting two sequential sentences with the same word. Gosh, how horrific.

You should expect pointless sperging in the paradox thread though.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

CharlestheHammer posted:

The last time I watched a Paradox livestream I got an avatar out of it.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Alchenar posted:

The last time I watched a Paradox livestream I got an avatar out of it.

It is one hell of a tacky wallpaper.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

CharlestheHammer posted:

I don't think there's anything pointless about trying to improve someone's writing. Especially not if the person is going to be writing a lot in this thread.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Minor EU4 game mechanics question: Is is likelier that the old country file format will be maintained (e.g. national ideas, monarch_names, etc. in one text file), or will things be split apart somehow and names and such will rely on a general cultural pool like what's used in CK2?

ZearothK posted:

It is one hell of a tackyclassy wallpaper.

Flappy Bert
Dec 11, 2011

In my effort to be less lame, the mod is now uploaded on Mediafire.

0.3.2 with a number of fixes is now available.

It looks pretty good so far, but it's a bit crazy that India starts with 98% militancy - even after getting most of its cores, it only goes down to about 50%. Just 50% is pretty good with the starting positions and 98 I think is the highest start in the game.

Iseeyouseemeseeyou
Jan 3, 2011

DrProsek posted:

EUIV's not out yet :confused: If you mean EUIII (respectively);

you don't just wait to get more

click a province you own that has no construction underway, and has a religion different than your state religion. You may gain missionaries slowly or not at all, mouseover the missionary icon on the top of the screen to see if it's positive; slider moves to innovation tend to make you not get missionaries.

Baloogan posted:

First you stop drinking. Its not even the 4th yet.

Second you start drinking even more.

Fister Roboto posted:

Greetings, time traveler! Can I bother you for some lottery numbers?

Sorry, I should have explained: I'm in the beta & Paradox hasn't fixed Mac shortcuts so I can't alt tab in and out of the game on my laptop. Logging into paradox on my phone was :effort: so I asked here hoping one of others in the beta would answer.

fwiw, I figured out the missionary's.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

John Charity Spring posted:

In my Shawnee campaign England never formed Great Britain because it was always at war with Wales, Scotland and Ireland who all had an alliance together. Castile never formed Spain either, the Ottomans never conquered the Byzantines and France was completely wiped off the map.

Sometimes this game doesn't follow history.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

A Buttery Pastry posted:

I'm in the process of making a map (probably other things eventually as well) mod for EU4, but I've realized something: Coming up with province names is a real chore. Sure, I can just use the original ones for places that are pretty much the same as in real life*, but what about the places that are nothing like real life? Anyone got some excellent resources for names that fit specific cultures/languages? Stuff like how Salzburg is literally Salt Fortress in German, but, you know, just a long list of nouns and poo poo that I can mash together to create plausible names.

*Many of those names are probably also younger than when history diverges, but that's not really a big deal.

Nnnnurgh. This drives me bonkers. I've been working, on and off, on an EU3 map for years now, and when it came time to do China I sat down, ran some figures and decided that I'd need to find something like two hundred provinces, minimum, to do it justice. Two hundred provinces? Let's see, places I know in China: Beijing, Shanghai, Hong Kong, Macau, Canton, Guangdong, Guangzhou and Sichuan. And then you realise that Canton, Guangdong and Guangzhou are all the same place :v:

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Map mod as in making a map based upon a fictional world, or map mod as in a historic map but with more/rearranged provinces? For the former, it depends on what the 'theme' of the world is. "[Cityname]" usually works out well, and depending on the dominant culture of the place something like "[natural feature/local peoples]+[administrative unit/some way of saying 'land']", like "Greenemark" or "Lethingland" usually works out okay.

For the latter, pick out a big city or historic administrative unit in the area, even if you know it's anachronistic. :v:

e:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/German_placename_etymology
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/English_toponymy
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Norman_toponymy
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Welsh_toponymy
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maghreb_placename_etymology
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Celtic_toponymy
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toponymy_of_New_Netherland explains the etymology of some of the toponyms.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Celtic_place_names_in_Galicia has some of the etymologies of the toponyms, along with a list.

Ofaloaf fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Jul 4, 2013

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Thanks a lot! :hfive:

Westminster System
Jul 4, 2009

Tulip posted:

Stop saying 'whilst.'

You are correct, its use was far too common so its gone from being used four times in that to about once, one replaced with while where it makes more sense to my british ears, and different wording elsewhere. I kind of didn't get much time to read through it before I got called away, so thank you for that.

A Buttery Pastry posted:

I don't think there's anything pointless about trying to improve someone's writing. Especially not if the person is going to be writing a lot in this thread.

Absolutely. I used to write a hell of a lot but stopped and it's kind of showing, and if I'm going to be taking up internet real estate I should at least make it tolerable to read.

DerLeo posted:

It looks pretty good so far, but it's a bit crazy that India starts with 98% militancy - even after getting most of its cores, it only goes down to about 50%. Just 50% is pretty good with the starting positions and 98 I think is the highest start in the game.

Thanks. I havn't actually gotten a chance to look at a lot of things in game at the moment, due to the fact I'm but a single person working on this and every version has a ton of niggling little errors to fix. I'm not familiar with how to change base militancy at the moment, but will look into that once I discover the intricacies.

Im going to try and have further spotlights where I know more information be a bit more detailed, in terms of Hungary, it was very basic as most of my knowledge of its history is from cursory glances at Europe. I double took the one time I found it had just taken Vienna for itself and Austria had given up and became Hungary.

Flappy Bert
Dec 11, 2011

That... was actually a really embarrassing typo, I meant literacy. No idea how I typed otherwise.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

You are correct, its use was far too common so its gone from being used four times in that to about once, one replaced with while where it makes more sense to my british ears, and different wording elsewhere. I kind of didn't get much time to read through it before I got called away, so thank you for that.

It reads much better! The problem, as i noted, was not so much the specific word itself as using too similar sentence constructions right on top of each other, which makes the paragraphs dry and hard in their flow. If you spend a lot of time writing sentence-by-sentence it's an easy thing to fall into.

Westminster System
Jul 4, 2009

DerLeo posted:

That... was actually a really embarrassing typo, I meant literacy. No idea how I typed otherwise.

Ah. For some reason India's base literacy is set to 2.0 instead of 0.25.

Oops.

Westminster System fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Jul 4, 2013

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Ofaloaf posted:

Map mod as in making a map based upon a fictional world, or map mod as in a historic map but with more/rearranged provinces? For the former, it depends on what the 'theme' of the world is. "[Cityname]" usually works out well, and depending on the dominant culture of the place something like "[natural feature/local peoples]+[administrative unit/some way of saying 'land']", like "Greenemark" or "Lethingland" usually works out okay.
Kinda 50/50, since it's our world in 50 million years. (Though done like it was some major 2012 kinda thing, not literally 50 million years.) Some places are mostly just straight copies, with a few modifications based on gameplay/making the map look better, but others basically require me to create provinces out of whole cloth. (Italy is the biggest culprit here so far, since the Tyrrhenian Sea basically becomes land.) I've only dealt with what's basically the western part of the Roman Empire at its greatest extent though (minus England), so there's still much to do.

Yeah, that's basically how I've been doing it so far, but it's just laborious work. Guess it was too much to hope for there to just be a program where I could simply add names in English for various geographical features, adjectives and ethnicities, and then have it spit out suggestions for province names in the other end that changed depending on what language I had selected. :sigh: I was really hoping against hope there.

Autonomous Monster posted:

Nnnnurgh. This drives me bonkers. I've been working, on and off, on an EU3 map for years now, and when it came time to do China I sat down, ran some figures and decided that I'd need to find something like two hundred provinces, minimum, to do it justice. Two hundred provinces? Let's see, places I know in China: Beijing, Shanghai, Hong Kong, Macau, Canton, Guangdong, Guangzhou and Sichuan. And then you realise that Canton, Guangdong and Guangzhou are all the same place :v:
Yeah, it's horrible. I'm literally looking at coming up with entirely new names for in excess of 1000 provinces, possible 2000. (And, being the idiot I am, I'm already considering the possibility of alternate scenarios where some provinces would obviously be renamed to fit another population. One thing at a time though, have to actually get one scenario working first.)

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

Does anyone have advice on army and navy composition in VikcyII? I've westernized China and have most army techs but Germany keeps kicking my rear end when I go up against them with anything less than 3:1 odds. As China I can definitely do that, but I get the feeling I'm doing something wrong if I can't stand up to them with closer to 1:1 odds.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Soylent Pudding posted:

Does anyone have advice on army and navy composition in VikcyII? I've westernized China and have most army techs but Germany keeps kicking my rear end when I go up against them with anything less than 3:1 odds. As China I can definitely do that, but I get the feeling I'm doing something wrong if I can't stand up to them with closer to 1:1 odds.

This is likely less because of your army composition and more because Germany has a huge leg up on you technologically. Until the late game I tend to use stacks that look like this: 2 hussars, 1 engineer, 2 artillery, 6 infantry.

For navy, I honestly just spam commerce raiders until I invent battleships, then use those until dreadnoughts. In my current Netherlands game, my entire navy consists for 6 battleships (since I apparently can't support any more than that), but those 6 battleships just sank the entire French navy in a containment war. The AI tends not to upgrade its navies very well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Soylent Pudding posted:

Pre-HoD, just spam guards.

Post-HoD, you want 1 plane (if you have access to them) or otherwise 1 cavalry per stack. Then you want an equal number of infantry and artillery.

• Locked thread