Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Endorph posted:

The problem wasn't that Dragon Quarter tried something new, it's that it tried something new that was loving terrible for players to deal with.

Like, I get what they were going for, and the mechanic works... when you know what to do with it. The problem is 'what to do with it' isn't explained nearly as neatly as it should be. People getting frustrated and turned off by the game is completely understandable, especially those were were long time fans of the series.

EDIT: Also the best ending in the FF series is FF9.

The game has lengthy tutorials for the SOL mechanic. Hell, it has more of a tutorial for it than Dead Rising (which used a similar system and had some of the same team members onboard) and while people had problems with DR, they didn't get that angry or upset over it.

It isn't a great BoF game but it is a really well designed game. I wish it had gotten a sequel in spirit even if it wasn't a Breath of Fire game. :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

I didn't have trouble wrapping my head around it, personally. I thought it was the only time the dragon has actually made things more interesting instead of just being an I Win button.

e: Oh, you mean SOL. I basically invented that as a kid with a rented Chrono Trigger cartridge when I couldn't beat Magus' Castle. Didn't find it that confusing a mechanic, just unusual.

Defiance Industries fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Jul 4, 2013

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

ImpAtom posted:

The game has lengthy tutorials for the SOL mechanic. Hell, it has more of a tutorial for it than Dead Rising (which used a similar system and had some of the same team members onboard) and while people had problems with DR, they didn't get that angry or upset over it.
The more I think about it, the more bearable I think the SOL mechanic would've been if it just hadn't had a story at all. Roguelikes are great--I dug Dungeons of Dredmor until their latest update hosed my ability to save a game (it doesn't make corrupted saves, it doesn't create them at all)--but running down the same corridor half a dozen times with the same enemies and the same story with one or two extra scenes isn't really my idea of a nice day out.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

IX and X had my favorite endings.

My least favorite ending has always been VII's. I just turn the game off after the one-on-one Cloud/Sephiroth fight and Sephiroth being destroyed. Nothing that happens after is interesting or exciting to me.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The White Dragon posted:

The more I think about it, the more bearable I think the SOL mechanic would've been if it just hadn't had a story at all. Roguelikes are great--I dug Dungeons of Dredmor until their latest update hosed my ability to save a game (it doesn't make corrupted saves, it doesn't create them at all)--but running down the same corridor half a dozen times with the same enemies and the same story with one or two extra scenes isn't really my idea of a nice day out.

I'll admit I just skipped every cutscene once I saw it once. v:shobon:v I barely cared about the story except when I got 1/4th D ratio and it made the entire plot incoherent when everyone talked about how crap Ryu was.

And I'd say the best FF ending is FF6, but I may be biased there.

Bovineicide
May 2, 2005

Eating your face since 1991.
I think the biggest mistake they made with Dragon Quarter was calling it Breath of Fire, since switching genres rarely goes over well. They basically turned that game into a roguelike, right? I can imagine why people would be disappointed with that.

Anyway, if I do wind up playing The Biggest Anime, is there any DLC that stands out as pretty worthwhile?

edit: took too long to hit post. My own question got answered about DQ :downs:

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
Well since we're on favorite endings, I'm kinda tied between FF9 and FF6. They're both pretty satisfying, though the latter is more from a musical perspective than an epilogue one.

12's ending wasn't bad either, but only because the part where Noah dies made me cry :v:

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
Final Fantasy 8 is the best if you break the drat game by junctioning. Also the time travel with the sorceress doesn't make sense initially. However once you realize it's Star Trek Time Travel Rules and they based it off a few TNG and DS9 episodes it all makes sense. Squall being Lagunia was inspired by that one TNG episode where Picard lives another man's life for 30 minutes.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

WendigoJohnson posted:

Squall being Lagunia was inspired by that one TNG episode where Picard lives another man's life for 30 minutes.

Just another reminder that, if you're lovely, you will ruin even the ideas that you stole from really good sources (see: Vanilla Ice).

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Defiance Industries posted:

Just another reminder that, if you're lovely, you will ruin even the ideas that you stole from really good sources (see: Vanilla Ice).

Vanilla Ice predicted 9/11, people just didn't get the deep hidden message in his lyrics. :colbert:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1U3c4zxcydw

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

See, I thought it was one of the best endings in the series. Wrapped everything up nicely.
By virtue of throwing every single ounce of logic out of the window and just assuming you don't give a poo poo. I mean, sure, that's an ending alright.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Azure_Horizon posted:

By virtue of throwing every single ounce of logic out of the window and just assuming you don't give a poo poo. I mean, sure, that's an ending alright.

Last scene was a loving field of magical space flowers and it had a dog running through them too.

It was by all accounts the best ending. Even better than FFX's Dad high five ending.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

EDIT: Disc 4 was just the castle, right? Screw you guys, I loved that dungeon. Inspired my favorite event in FFXI too.

For the life of me I cannot think of a parallel between Ultimecia's Castle and any event in FFXI.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

SpazmasterX posted:

For the life of me I cannot think of a parallel between Ultimecia's Castle and any event in FFXI.

The game sucking as hard as possible :smug: .

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

The game sucking as hard as possible :smug: .

Double wrong. :colbert:

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

WendigoJohnson posted:

Last scene was a loving field of magical space flowers and it had a dog running through them too.

It was by all accounts the best ending. Even better than FFX's Dad high five ending.

Clearly. I loved the acid trip that was thrown in just to test Square's animators.

Eggie
Aug 15, 2010

Something ironic, I'm certain
XII has my favourite ending. It wraps up a lot of the characters very nicely and it gives a pleasant feeling. Also, 'Kiss Me Goodbye' is my favourite Final Fantasy vocal song.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

SpazmasterX posted:

Maybe he means the end of CoP? I don't remember it that well but Al'Taieu had that castle in it and then a trippy space battle against literal God or something, right? It's been years since I've thought of that game.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

SpazmasterX posted:

Salvage. Your stats and abilities get torn down and you have to travel around to rebuild them.

Elec
Feb 25, 2007
7 blows and 8 owns, even the ending, I don't care how ridiculous it is.

Even as a kid when I finally beat it, I thought FF1 had a pretty bleak ending... time is fixed but no one knows you did anything. That kinda sucks.

As for 9, while it's definitely really good and probably has the best ending outside of 6, I feel like it goes really off the rails when it gets to the latest parts of the game. While you kind of take this in stride in 7 because everything is confusing and in 8 because everything is nonsense (beautiful nonsense), it's made all the more frustrating by the fact that up until the last parts (starting with the Zidane revelations I guess), it's really solid, and the ending is worth it. That said, I always thought Amarant is the most narratively-useless FF character I've encountered so far.

Also, hello Amppelix, fellow IZJS-playing buddy.

12: I should wait on optional espers until much later, right? The ones you can technically get if you go out of your way even before the Stillshrine seem a bit daunting, as do some of the marks I could do at this point... currently level 30ish.

Honestly thank god for the fast-forward option, and I feel like I spend more time adjusting gambits and pondering the license boards than anything. Still cool presentation and all, though.

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Elec posted:

That said, I always thought Amarant is the most narratively-useless FF character I've encountered so far.

but those flowing locks

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

WendigoJohnson posted:

Even better than FFX's Dad high five ending.

Oh my god I forgot this happens. It was literally the last scene before it cuts to black right? And then the fight right before it... "I hate you dad!" "I know" *really cheesy rock songs starts playing*

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

fronz posted:

but those flowing locks

I feel like Lani was originally supposed to join you. You fight her a few times and by the end you wear her down and eventually she agrees to turn you in...later. She's Amarant but with actual presence in the story.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Elec posted:

That said, I always thought Amarant is the most narratively-useless FF character I've encountered so far.
I don't see how someone can say any character is throwaway in terms of story while nebulously praising FF8 in the same breath. FF8's entire cast, barring Laguna, Squall, and Rinoa, was completely tangential. They were FF1 town NPCs except they had limit breaks.

Amarant was pretty irrelevant as far as moving the story along goes, but he served a pretty good symbolic and foil/contrast role to Zidane.

As far as FF1's ending goes, I thought it was hilarious. The newest Warrior of Light... YOU!!!

Elec
Feb 25, 2007

The White Dragon posted:

I don't see how someone can say any character is throwaway in terms of story while nebulously praising FF8 in the same breath. FF8's entire cast, barring Laguna, Squall, and Rinoa, was completely tangential. They were FF1 town NPCs except they had limit breaks.

You're absolutely right, but I guess the difference is that I do not particularly care about the logical consistency of my love for ff8. :)
(Quistis had, like, a couple promising scenes but then the story just laser-focuses on those few characters. The others are pretty useless, I agree)

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

Elec posted:

Even as a kid when I finally beat it, I thought FF1 had a pretty bleak ending... time is fixed but no one knows you did anything. That kinda sucks.

As for 9, while it's definitely really good and probably has the best ending outside of 6, I feel like it goes really off the rails when it gets to the latest parts of the game. While you kind of take this in stride in 7 because everything is confusing and in 8 because everything is nonsense (beautiful nonsense), it's made all the more frustrating by the fact that up until the last parts (starting with the Zidane revelations I guess), it's really solid, and the ending is worth it. That said, I always thought Amarant is the most narratively-useless FF character I've encountered so far.

Also, hello Amppelix, fellow IZJS-playing buddy.

12: I should wait on optional espers until much later, right? The ones you can technically get if you go out of your way even before the Stillshrine seem a bit daunting, as do some of the marks I could do at this point... currently level 30ish.

Honestly thank god for the fast-forward option, and I feel like I spend more time adjusting gambits and pondering the license boards than anything. Still cool presentation and all, though.

I actually think the arc leading to Zidane's revelations as well as Kuja's were fantastic, mostly because Kuja's been the most well-written villain the series yet. The whole game is about finding your own identity, and it's at its strongest during Garnet's, Vivi's, and later Zidane and Kuja's, thematic arcs.

sigmachiev
Dec 31, 2007

Fighting blood excels
Listening to the FF6 OC Remix and it's making me all nostalgic for what I'm content to call a personal top 5 game ever. I usually don't seek out this kind of thing but is there any cool fan hacks/new content/mods (not the SA one)?

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Oh my god I forgot this happens. It was literally the last scene before it cuts to black right? And then the fight right before it... "I hate you dad!" "I know" *really cheesy rock songs starts playing*

That godawful engrish buttrock is what truly made that fight. :allears:

I speak with only partial irony. It was just goofy as hell in every way, but the last real battle in FFX was sincerely enjoyable for what it was.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Elec posted:

I don't think I've ever seen this opinion on the internet. There's a pretty clear divide between VI and VII+ fans, which I think is silly (being someone who grew up playing the SNES FFs and loved VII).

I'm curious though, what's so poo poo about VII that VIII does better?

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Elec posted:

You're absolutely right, but I guess the difference is that I do not particularly care about the logical consistency of my love for ff8. :)
(Quistis had, like, a couple promising scenes but then the story just laser-focuses on those few characters. The others are pretty useless, I agree)

If you believe what it says on the final fantasy wiki, Nomura was worried that other characters might be better-liked than Squall so he deliberately made them idiots or goofballs or incompetent or all three (Zell). It's really the development of FF8 in a nutshell.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Defiance Industries posted:

If you believe what it says on the final fantasy wiki, Nomura was worried that other characters might be better-liked than Squall so he deliberately made them idiots or goofballs or incompetent or all three (Zell). It's really the development of FF8 in a nutshell.

Funnily enough, I found Zell and Laguna to be the only likeable characters in the entire game!

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

I don't think I've ever seen this opinion on the internet. There's a pretty clear divide between VI and VII+ fans, which I think is silly (being someone who grew up playing the SNES FFs and loved VII).

That's not a common opinion? Because it's mine too.

7 aged like poo poo, 8 somehow managed to remain playable. I can't actually comment on any of 7's merits, since it's in the club of FFs I couldn't get more than three hours into (single-digit prime-numbered ones) but 8 had me laughing at its plot (unintentionally) and breaking the incredible game mechanics over my knee thanks to the card game, and then the ending was so far over the top it felt like something out of Grant Morrison.

Like, Laguna literally tells you to use the power of love and friendship. This isn't a thinly veiled JRPG metaphor, he actually says it.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

DACK FAYDEN posted:

7 aged like poo poo, 8 somehow managed to remain playable. I can't actually comment on any of 7's merits, since it's in the club of FFs I couldn't get more than three hours into (single-digit prime-numbered ones) but 8 had me laughing at its plot (unintentionally) and breaking the incredible game mechanics over my knee thanks to the card game, and then the ending was so far over the top it felt like something out of Grant Morrison.

Like, Laguna literally tells you to use the power of love and friendship. This isn't a thinly veiled JRPG metaphor, he actually says it.

I meant VIII being great while VII is awful, that's uncommon. Most people who don't like VII think VI is great. Rightly so, of course.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

I don't think I've ever seen this opinion on the internet.

I wouldn't go as far as to say that VII "blows", but I definitely think it's one of the weaker entries in the series and probably my least favorite of every one I've personally played to completion (that is, everything from 1-12 discounting 11 but including 10-2).

I couldn't even begin to put my finger on what, exactly, makes me feel that way, either, aside from some nebulous "ugh, this is so overhyped" nonsense which really is a stupid reason to dislike something to begin with. :shobon:

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

DACK FAYDEN posted:

I guarantee you that the chucklefucks who made 8 thought that all of that was to be taken 100% seriously. The thing I've realized about Final Fantasy games is that thanks to voice acting we can tell for sure whether they want things to be taken seriously or not, and they always seem to unless it involves something incredibly unfunny.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

FF8 could have been fine if it had a coherent narrative holding its world together. But it wasn't, becaue it didn't. There was no investment, just teenage drama and a convoluted backstory for the sake of having one, with none of the characters feeling deeply involved except Laguna, Seifer, and maybe Rinoa. If they dropped Squall from the plot completely, gave Rinoa a less-grating personality and had her be the protagonist, finding all about the sorceress stuff and constantly butting heads with her hotshot ex-boyfriend who somehow got into his head that this is a good idea, see, that could have been a better story.

Kyrosiris posted:

I couldn't even begin to put my finger on what, exactly, makes me feel that way, either, aside from some nebulous "ugh, this is so overhyped" nonsense which really is a stupid reason to dislike something to begin with. :shobon:

Yes, it is a stupid reason. But the hype is also stupid.

FF7 was really good, but nobody even remembers what the story was actually about, going by what everyone actually talks about when they speak of it.

Mazed fucked around with this message at 08:01 on Jul 4, 2013

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

There's a LOT of things that could have been better than a teenager love story with a military academy that is basically just like Japanese high school. Having a main character with Aspergers' was pretty progressive, though.

Elec
Feb 25, 2007

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

I like the title of this thread because in a franchise with so many titles and off-shoots, you're obviously going to have people with a totally different appreciation or disdain for various combinations of titles.

First off I think I'm glad I went into 8 knowing that it was trying to reinvent the wheel, basically, and that helps in making it certainly a unique experience. Graphically going from 7 to 8 feels like a different console, almost. I am not a "Graphics!!!!" person by any means, but it just really didn't age well. I mean I do absolutely understand where they were coming from; they had all these new capabilities, so why not make every action and spell take ages so you can see them in action? Same with the mini-games. I have heard repeated often that the team tasked new programmers to start with mini-games which they then put into the total game, but they often feel very shoehorned in. I still have no idea how you are supposed to not suck during the televised parade. Climbing the mountain and warming yourself up? I only think the bike chase and snowboarding work as mini-games but I only ever want to play through them once.
Someone mentioned earlier that a lot of character development and story stuff is hidden off in optional areas, and I think that hurts it too. In 6 you had obscure stuff like Shadow's dreams, but those aren't central to the plot. The characters are all scattered, yes, but it's pretty explicit that you are supposed to rally your troops again.
It's actually mostly just a LOT of little nitpicks that total to an overall negative opinion. 2 is the only real garbage game in my opinion, and in a recent replay of 4 I realized it's not as great as I remembered, but 7 might be next on that list. And, this is such a dumb opinion to have, but I think I definitely had an internal backlash to how much it was praised.
(It has some good things going for it--I think finally getting out of Midgar is pretty powerful)

8 just felt really cinematic to me, and a story can be as bad or dumb or as nonsense as it wants and as long as I enjoy the presentation, I'm down. As a caveat I do have to mention that I am very glad I played through it with a guide because I would have missed out on some fun stuff had I not. Also I generally do not care about trying to break the system or anything but 8 made it fun and easy (I like easy). Maybe I'm just weird or something, I fully concede that could be the case!

Oh and to add on to what I said about 9 and Amarant, I think it might be more acceptable to me in 8 to have non-essential characters because the focus is clearly meant to be on just those few characters, whereas 9, even though it may drop some characters' threads, everyone else has a rather satisfying arc.

Has anyone else played Type-0? I have it sitting on my Vita and really only played until you can walk around the school freely, i.e. literally just past the disc change. 14 characters is daunting and in general I just have no clue. Maybe I'll save it until after I play through 13.

Corn Thongs
Feb 13, 2004

I played 7 after it got overhyped to all hell for me, including stuff like how sad people were over Aerith. Then I played it and didn't like her at all, or almost any of the characters. FF8 is goofy, I didn't care about any of the secondary cast, and the convenient memory loss was :what:. But for some reason I just really liked the game play and the silly story didn't bother me. I don't really like grinding to level in the first place, so being able to avoid fighting pretty much ever coupled with getting hilariously overpowered with the junction system made me feel like a little emo god. Plus Lionheart was pretty easy to get! :yayclod:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Corn Thongs posted:

I played 7 after it got overhyped to all hell for me, including stuff like how sad people were over Aerith. Then I played it and didn't like her at all, or almost any of the characters. FF8 is goofy, I didn't care about any of the secondary cast, and the convenient memory loss was :what:. But for some reason I just really liked the game play and the silly story didn't bother me. I don't really like grinding to level in the first place, so being able to avoid fighting pretty much ever coupled with getting hilariously overpowered with the junction system made me feel like a little emo god. Plus Lionheart was pretty easy to get! :yayclod:

This pretty much sums up my feelings towards the two games as well.