Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Monster w21 Faces
May 11, 2006

"What the fuck is that?"
"What the fuck is this?!"
I know what I was getting, poo poo this isn't the first Alpha I've ever bought, hell I'm a game designer by trade. What I'm saying is that what is there, isn't fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plum Chaser
Jul 2, 2011

by Lowtax
So.. this interests me, how much content is currently in the alpha?

Enzer
Oct 17, 2008

I AM BRAWW posted:

Read this to get an idea of what state the game is currently in.

Watch Sct's stream to see if it interests you: http://www.twitch.tv/sctx

Cool Blue Reason
Jan 7, 2010

by Lowtax

I AM BRAWW posted:

You run around and kill things in a variety of randomized environments, alone or with friends. There are 4 classes that feel different from each other, and each class has 3 weapons and a choice of 2 specializations. The skill trees aren't very fleshed out right now, it's basically just 3 abilities per spec and then 6 more general ones that everyone gets. You can hang glide and there are a bunch of pets. Crafting is in but it seems pretty bare bones for now.

If you're looking for something to dump a ton of time into, I'd probably stay away for now. It's fun for what it is though.

HitmanAndQuitIt
Sep 13, 2002

dont take extercy
Do I need to start server.exe as well? This is confusing.

HitmanAndQuitIt fucked around with this message at 12:33 on Jul 4, 2013

Enzer
Oct 17, 2008

HitmanAndQuitIt posted:

This may seem dumb... but how do you connect to a multiplayer server?

If I am remembering this right. After you make your character, at the world select screen, there should be an option for servers in the bottom right hand corner.

Least that is what I think I remember seeing the button.

Plum Chaser
Jul 2, 2011

by Lowtax
Is there a IRC or something for this?

Anyhow, is there a goon server up to play with other goons? I don't think I'd enjoy playing this solo.

Rawrbomb
Mar 11, 2011

rawrrrrr
I spent nearly two hours playing, and almost all of my time while doing that was streaming.

I got to level 3, and after getting to level 3, I still couldn't defeat an "easy" area "boss".

Decided to give it a rest tonight, and will pick back up later today after work.

I'd like to see someone spawn with you, and give you a bit of a heads up where to go.
It'd be nice if the shops had gear for you (when solo) that is a tiny upgrade :/

A filter for the buying areas that show you gear for you would be nice too.

Being picky for an alpha...

The only thing right now I feel I NEED, is the ability to rebind keys. MMB is not ideal for me (its my vent bind) to dodge. I'd much rather have a double tap to dodge too.

HitmanAndQuitIt
Sep 13, 2002

dont take extercy
Ugh, you can't reverse the mouse.

miscellaneous14
Mar 27, 2010

neat
I'm enjoying it so far, and it seems like a very strong template for adding new content onto, like dungeons with raid bosses, PvP stuff, etc. For now it's pretty fun, just talk to town NPCs and they'll generally tell you about places you can go or stuff you can do.

Also, talking to an innkeeper sets the time to 07:00, which is why you get that loud chime.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
I managed to take down a giant rabbit boss with kiting and terrain abuse, took awhile though.

Enemies definitely seem to be really loving tanky sometimes for no apparant reason. Might be I need to get better weapons since I'm still using the power 1 weapons I started with. I get the feeling that this was really intended to be done multiplayer; especially with the little adventuring parties of NPCs that run around. Having a couple of buddies would make fights a lot easier and less resource intensive.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

5 guys can't take down the local bosses and enemies are tough. Gotta power level! Kiting is the group combat of the game and the best early game strategy seems to be stocking up on carrots and getting a bunny army.

Goon multiplayer was fun. The game runs just great aside from server crashes. Good alpha, glad to give guy my cash finally.

If you see a big silly raccoon or radish guarding a tree with a secret then RUN.

Heran Bago fucked around with this message at 13:02 on Jul 4, 2013

sct
Mar 15, 2006

I don't want to go.
I enjoyed my time playing it tonight with everyone. It definitely has room to grow but I think it has a winning formula. Maybe some tuned spawns (easier mobs more often around town) to get people going at the start.

It's hard to complain because the game is really polished for alpha and after watching this game be developed over the past year (or longer) I have faith this is only going to get better and better.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde

sct posted:

It's hard to complain because the game is really polished for alpha and after watching this game be developed over the past year (or longer) I have faith this is only going to get better and better.

Yeah, from my 5 minutes of playing i got this feeling right away, now im going to sit back, let this idle and watch development via this thread and/or wait for a goon server with 4+ player support to go up. :3:

I mostly wanted to offer my way of supporting the product in buying this, been waiting for Cubeworld for along time.

Dropping Wollay a tweet about this thread, we can be good goons and offer polite feedback in our usual manner. :haw:

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Ever since I saw the preview video for this game, I just wanted access to that beautiful map screen, especially as it starts generating new lands on the fly.

That's worth some of the price for me right off the bat.

Feindfeuer
Jun 20, 2013

shoot men, receive credits
Was looking forward to this for a long time and was always fascinated how polished the screens and videos looked...than we finally get early access and instantly the shop doesn't work; now it works again and my paypal will only accept credit card payment. Guess I have to manualy transfer some money to my paypal account, which will again take a few days... having to wait a few extra days for this game feels so brutal for some reason.

I hope I didn't hype myself too much for this game.

Zahki
Nov 7, 2004

Dang this game looks fun. Not a huge fan of voxel games, I've never touched minecraft, but that video in the OP showing the party going through that dungeon makes it look like a pretty slick multiplayer dungeon crawler. Something about it just tickles my nostalgic side.

Underwhelmed
Mar 7, 2004

Nap Ghost

HitmanAndQuitIt posted:

This is a real killer for me right now. The other big issue is I cannot find a way to customize the controls, so as a left hander I cannot reach my jump button. For the time being, I have rigged up a control scheme on a 360 controller using Joy2Key but that makes Rangers pretty hard to play.

Also, middle mouse button to dodge? What the goddamn hell!?

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe
I managed to grab it before the site went down again a few minutes ago. The lack of rebindable controls is silly but it's very very early so I'm not sweating it too much. I remember the early Minecraft alpha barely ran half the time so this is already an improvement in terms of alpha products.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

Neruz posted:

Enemies definitely seem to be really loving tanky sometimes for no apparant reason.

Apart from the name-colour-denoting-power-level thing said above, the site also explains the tankiness for same-level bosses. It ties into the combo mechanic: As you get a combo streak, you gain armor-piercing/magic-penetration. So keep your combo going and you'll do more and more damage.

boy undead
Nov 11, 2006

time to get prolific with
the whiz kid
Frogmen master race. :frog:

babies havin rabies
Feb 24, 2006

Feindfeuer posted:

Was looking forward to this for a long time and was always fascinated how polished the screens and videos looked...than we finally get early access and instantly the shop doesn't work; now it works again and my paypal will only accept credit card payment. Guess I have to manualy transfer some money to my paypal account, which will again take a few days... having to wait a few extra days for this game feels so brutal for some reason.

I hope I didn't hype myself too much for this game.

The server problems are one reason why Wollay should be using something like Humble Store, but then again nobody is going to not buy the game just because they can't over a 48 hours period. The real reason why Wollay should be using something else is because Paypal is an evil and dangerous company to do any business with short of selling grandma's tea cozies on eBay. Anybody remember when Notch almost got burned out of literally millions of dollars in sales from dealing with these shitheads?

The solution to your problem is to hook your Paypal account into a bank checking account. I don't advocate or recommend doing this, however.

Megafunk
Oct 19, 2010

YEAH!
I would really like to know how this boss can just instagib my character with some hidden dash move... Really gotta try this multiplayer. Dungeons are a total deathtrap solo.

Edit: its an archer boss that apparently has a slashing charge move that hits like a truck, if you don't dodge it you are really going to die. I think wollay mentioned something about randomized boss abilities.

Megafunk fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Jul 4, 2013

calusari
Apr 18, 2013

It's mechanical. Seems to come at regular intervals.
Store is back up.

Arach
Oct 3, 2003

Dive! Dive! Di... are you diving yet?
Grimey Drawer
As someone who's been looking forward to this for a very long time, after a couple of hours with the alpha my take away impression is that Cubeworld is not fun. Yet it feels like some elemental basic combat balance and some Excel-mancy could make really pop.

Arach fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Jul 4, 2013

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

babies havin rabies posted:

The solution to your problem is to hook your Paypal account into a bank checking account. I don't advocate or recommend doing this, however.

Is there an actual reason to not do this besides :tinfoil:?

babies havin rabies
Feb 24, 2006

Wrist Watch posted:

Nope, but there's a fair amount of evidence behind said :tinfoil:. With the poo poo that Paypal pulls, I'm not sure I'd want them having access to the same account my paycheck goes into.

Enzer
Oct 17, 2008

Arach posted:

As someone who's been looking forward to this for a very long time, after a couple of hours with the alpha my take away impression is that Cubeworld a long way from being fun.

Good thing its an alpha. :v:

Rawrbomb posted:

I spent nearly two hours playing, and almost all of my time while doing that was streaming.

I got to level 3, and after getting to level 3, I still couldn't defeat an "easy" area "boss".

Decided to give it a rest tonight, and will pick back up later today after work.

I'd like to see someone spawn with you, and give you a bit of a heads up where to go.
It'd be nice if the shops had gear for you (when solo) that is a tiny upgrade :/

A filter for the buying areas that show you gear for you would be nice too.

Being picky for an alpha...

The only thing right now I feel I NEED, is the ability to rebind keys. MMB is not ideal for me (its my vent bind) to dodge. I'd much rather have a double tap to dodge too.

I was watching the stream when you guys took on the boss radish and went to that undead dungeon. I think I know what was probably a good reason for you guys having some difficulty. Your group consisted of 1 Rogue, 1 Fire Mage, and 3 Warriors. I noticed that the Warriors (and actually everyone in general) ran out healing options real fast.

The healing options for a level 2 Water Mage are kind of insane and they still deal decent damage (though not as much as Fire obviously) and heal allies while they attack. If the Fire mage had been water or if one of the three Warriors had been a Water Mage I think you guys would have had a much easier time of things. As a level two Water Mage right now running solo, I can take on about 6 blue names or 2-3 guys in the next color category if I am careful about my mana use to hit my big heal on myself, the splash pool healing affect from my normal attacks, even if it is like .7 hp a sec, helps a ton in slowing down my damage intake.

When class skill trees and crowd control abilities get added to the game, I think handling the typically tougher than you mobs will be much easier.

Underwhelmed
Mar 7, 2004

Nap Ghost

Arach posted:

As someone who's been looking forward to this for a very long time, after a couple of hours with the alpha my take away impression is that Cubeworld a long way from being fun.

I love the way everything looks. It captures the lego look far better than Minecraft was ever able too, and the variety of fauna and equipment present already solves what was always my biggest issue with Minecraft as well.

However, I agree with you on the "fun" part, the combat right now seems pretty terrible. Stuff has way too many HP, too many enemies have high velocity/insta hit abilities with insufficient/no tells. There is no "starting area" that I can see, as well over 2/3rds of the mobs I typically run into with a new character are orange, red, or in large packs making an attack all but certain defeat. It is possible to kill things, but it reminds me of early MMO style grinding in that you wander around, trying to find a single target to kill, (and if you end up with more you run away) then heal, then repeat over and over. It is made worse by what seems to be a minimum stat requirement on gear that is even marginally better than the starting kit, so I can't even go into town with the few coppers I have whittled out of gnolls and goblins and buy armor or a better sword.

I haven't had much time to play though, so maybe I just suck at this. I know that changing to a warrior made life many fold easier.

babies havin rabies posted:

Nope, but there's a fair amount of evidence behind said :tinfoil:. With the poo poo that Paypal pulls, I'm not sure I'd want them having access to the same account my paycheck goes into.

I will not make purchases if Paypal "requires" me to make an account to do so. This has happened with some international orders I have tried to place over the years. They really are a company that deserves every bit of hate they get. They put a hold on the Katrina money this very site raised to give one other example outside of our favorite heavyset Northern European Indie Game Millionaire.

Underwhelmed fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Jul 4, 2013

VarXX
Oct 31, 2009
Anyone not having fun really needs to play this game with atleast 4 people.

Alpha Mayo
Jan 15, 2007
hi how are you?
there was this racist piece of shit in your av so I fixed it
you're welcome
pay it forward~

Wrist Watch posted:

Not really. I got scammed on eBay to a Buyer, Paypal didn't even read my side of the story and auto-judged in their favor. It put my account to negative $200 balance which they demanded I pay. They could not withdraw from my checking without my explicit permission.

Eventually Paypal sent it to "collections", but their collection agency is actually fake. They do not have a legal right to report it to the credit agencies, all they can really do is harass and call you.

I don't feel bad making them pay because they literally did not review my side at all, when it came my turn to submit a response I did and got an auto-generated email that said they went with the Buyers claim. They don't have case reviewers but a computer program that decides the poo poo and it is heavily biased in favor of Buyers.

I would not give them your SSN however.

Vitamins
May 1, 2012

I've been playing with a bunch of friends and it's way more fun than solo. And this is coming from someone that most often prefers to go solo.

My Goblin ranger is now level 9 after doing a couple of missions. Missions are really challenging even with a group of 10-12 people which is really enjoyable.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
I won't be able to pick this up until my next paycheck, but I can't remember reading if enemies/bosses currently scale to the amount of players? This is something that I'd like to see before the game actually releases if it isn't in there already. Currently, for the stuff I've seen and read, it seems like the game is definitely balanced for multiplayer and/or a much more experienced solo player. It's sounding a lot like there's some tuning that needs to be done for beginning game HP and damage values and some room for a few more explanations (things like the combos giving armor/magic pen), but that's exactly what a(n) alpha/beta is for.

With the way Wollay was interacting with InTheLittleWood during the first few days of his streams, I'm sure that Wollay will be fixing things as the time comes available. Gotta get that store stable first!

Enzer
Oct 17, 2008

Underwhelmed posted:

I love the way everything looks. It captures the lego look far better than Minecraft was ever able too, and the variety of fauna and equipment present already solves what was always my biggest issue with Minecraft as well.

However, I agree with you on the "fun" part, the combat right now seems pretty terrible. Stuff has way too many HP, too many enemies have high velocity/insta hit abilities with insufficient/no tells. There is no "starting area" that I can see, as well over 2/3rds of the mobs I typically run into with a new character are orange, red, or in large packs making an attack all but certain defeat. It is possible to kill things, but it reminds me of early MMO style grinding in that you wander around, trying to find a single target to kill, (and if you end up with more you run away) then heal, then repeat over and over. It is made worse by what seems to be a minimum stat requirement on gear that is even marginally better than the starting kit, so I can't even go into town with the few coppers I have whittled out of gnolls and goblins and buy armor or a better sword.

I haven't had much time to play though, so maybe I just suck at this. I know that changing to a warrior made life many fold easier.

I will not make purchases if Paypal "requires" me to make an account to do so. This has happened with some international orders I have tried to place over the years. They really are a company that deserves every bit of hate they get. They put a hold on the Katrina money this very site raised to give one other example outside of our favorite heavyset Northern European Indie Game Millionaire.

I'm wondering if it is something to do with seeds as well. My first test world started me fairly far from my first town, my second test world plopped me right outside one. Depending on how close you spawn near a town is how likely things are going to be red level, I think.

Personally I think the combat is fast past and fun and I really cannot think of a similar game with better combat. Mobs being able to take stupid amounts of punishment at times seems to be what slows the combat down and make it "not fun" for me. I think I'm figuring things out for my class though. Using bracelets as a water mage, two strong attacks typically is enough to stun a mob, then laying into them with the rapid fire weak attack tends to shred enemies. The higher my combo count, the faster my guy shoots water bolts, though I wonder if this is more of a "the longer I'm casting the spell" and if that is tied into the tempo stat I am seeing on weapons. Can anyone confirm if something similar with sword swings or arrows fired happens for other classes?

Here is my take on things:

-Players should spawn at or near the nearest town the first time they enter a map.
-Mob EXP needs to be looked at. I know this part is probably listed for balance, but it seems like more common mobs like cows are always giving out 3-5 exp. I think this might be a debug thing right now having higher exp tied to common animals as opposed to the crazy number of other mobs.
-A guide NPC that explains the mechanics of your class and how your three weapon choices affect your class would be nice, but combat is fairly easy to pick up with a little experimentation.

Those are the most glaring things I can think of that should be tweaked soon. Other things like more advanced skill trees, etc I can wait on as the game is still very playable right now.

All that said, I am really digging this game:

-World generation is gorgeous and I swear his caves feel so right (had a lot of fun exploring this one cave system finding iron, gold and emeralds while fighting bats and dwarfs).
-Combat feels really fluid and once the above issues with enemies is fixed, will be a lot more fun.
-The amount of enemy types is kind of amazing right now, for the 3 or so hours I dicked around, I was constantly finding something new.
-Dungeons, while obviously a placeholder for something more advanced, are petty cool for being randomly generated.

Game has a lot of potential and I can't wait to see how it ends up. I am also looking forward to the advanced village AI he was talking about on his blog not too long ago (villagers have jobs and schedules: Wake up in the morning, eat, do choirs, go to work, maybe meet up with friends at the local tavern to have dinner, by groceries, go back home and sleep was something a random villager did that Wolfram just followed about while testing it, was pretty cool) as well.

Fenarisk
Oct 27, 2005

Really wanted this but I refuse to use paypal, and after it being inactive for so long they will only reactivate with snail mail or a landline phone number (lol).

Guess I have to wait until this guy wants to use a modern payment method :smith:

Enzer
Oct 17, 2008

Fenarisk posted:

Really wanted this but I refuse to use paypal, and after it being inactive for so long they will only reactivate with snail mail or a landline phone number (lol).

Guess I have to wait until this guy wants to use a modern payment method :smith:

I was offered a "guest" payment option when I bought the game, didn't need a paypal account.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe
You can just use a credit card without logging into an actual Paypal account, that's what I did. Paypal will function like any other credit card processor, no need to use their account system.

Some aspects of this are really fun and other aspects really need more thought. Before you say it we know, it's an alpha. Still though I hope this guy is open to feedback on a lot of this stuff, the problem with small design teams is that sometimes people dig in their heels about their vision and whatnot. I guess we'll see. Great framework here though.

Underwhelmed
Mar 7, 2004

Nap Ghost

Enzer posted:

Personally I think the combat is fast past and fun and I really cannot think of a similar game with better combat. Mobs being able to take stupid amounts of punishment at times seems to be what slows the combat down and make it "not fun" for me.

Once I had a shield, the combat became a lot more bearable. I will go back to the ranged characters later, but being able to block makes a world of difference.

Onean posted:

I won't be able to pick this up until my next paycheck, but I can't remember reading if enemies/bosses currently scale to the amount of players? This is something that I'd like to see before the game actually releases if it isn't in there already. Currently, for the stuff I've seen and read, it seems like the game is definitely balanced for multiplayer and/or a much more experienced solo player. It's sounding a lot like there's some tuning that needs to be done for beginning game HP and damage values and some room for a few more explanations (things like the combos giving armor/magic pen), but that's exactly what a(n) alpha/beta is for.

With the way Wollay was interacting with InTheLittleWood during the first few days of his streams, I'm sure that Wollay will be fixing things as the time comes available. Gotta get that store stable first!

I don't think it does right now, or if it does, it isn't by much. It would be a real shame if this game ended up "requiring" groups to actually do anything because I was hoping for a more chill game that I could have fun exploring at my own pace instead of ending up having to boss rush and or PVP constantly (which is what almost every MMO and ARPG turns into if given the chance)

It's early, and it's an Alpha, so who knows what will happen with it.

The Gunslinger posted:

Some aspects of this are really fun and other aspects really need more thought. Before you say it we know, it's an alpha. Still though I hope this guy is open to feedback on a lot of this stuff, the problem with small design teams is that sometimes people dig in their heels about their vision and whatnot. I guess we'll see. Great framework here though.

Or listen to the wrong part of the community...

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text

HitmanAndQuitIt posted:

Wish I'd known this before buying, now I'm stuck with it until there's a patch :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Emong
May 31, 2011

perpair to be annihilated

Welp, I wanted to buy this game but the demo is telling me it can't initialize Direct3D, so I guess that's not happening.

• Locked thread